How Many Demons Are There?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Harold

Nov 11, 2022
Canada
jesus-saves-all.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
can.of.soup — 03/10/2023 11:51 AM

Thank you for praying for me!! And I’m sorry if all the questions bother you, I hope you don’t feel obligated to answer them because you can stop whenever you want!

So when you say “Satan already knows god exists, so do the demons” who exactly are the demons? How many are there? What roles do they play?

And thank you again for taking the time to explain all this!! I really really appreciate it :)

So I reply with the following:

No worries about the questions my friend. :D To be honest, I really appreciate the material! <3 I like to write articles for my website www.jesus-saves-all.com and it can be tricky to come up with content sometimes. Or whether someone really reads it or not lol. But at least by making these responses, and then posting these answers on my site, I guarantee that you, a person, at least read it. I naturally type a lot and fast, so I hope you don’t mind the word length.

James 2:19 You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder!

Satan was the Appointed Cherub. Appointed by who? By God. Thus, he knows God exists. And the line above confirms the other fallen angels know this too. Naturally, they would have to know what exactly they were rebelling against.

Genesis 1:1 tells us God created the angels before the humans. (Ezekiel 28:13) Which is how the Serpent was in the Garden of Eden.

Strong's Greek: 1142. δαίμων (daimón) -- a demon

Mark 5:9 And Jesus asked him, “What is your name?” He replied, “My name is Legion, for we are many.” (Mark 5:15)

Luke 8:30 Jesus then asked him, “What is your name?” And he said, “Legion,” for many demons had entered him.

“Legion” is more than just a title, it’s a reference to a quantity.

Matthew 26:53 Do you think that I cannot appeal to my Father, and he will at once send me more than twelve legions of angels?

Thus, there can be both legions of demons and legions of angels.

Some history sites tell us that legions were made up of 3 600 to 6 000 men.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/legion

Since a “demon” is just an angel who is against God, we can assume a legion of angels and a legion of demons are around the same quantity. With some quick math we can found this out.

Legion = 3 600 to 6 000 demons

Fatherly Appeal = 12 * 3 600 or 12 * 6 000 = 43 200 to 72 000 angels

So there’s at least minimum this many demons and angels. Probably much more, since there were many demonically-possessed people at the time. By this comparison, the angels vastly outnumber the demons. Which is why the 12 disciples were given the power to cast out demons, there were so many of them.

Matthew 10:1 And he called to him his twelve disciples and gave them authority over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal every disease and every affliction.

Satan’s goal is to be equal or greater than God.

Isaiah 14:12-15 You said in your heart, ‘I will ascend to heaven; above the stars of God I will set my throne on high; I will sit on the mount of assembly in the far reaches of the north; I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High.’ But you are brought down to Sheol, to the far reaches of the pit.

Thus, the demons goal is to also be equal or greater than God. That’s why the demons pretend to be gods, false gods, to humans. Like Molech, the Canaanite false god of child sacrifice where parents would burn their own children alive as evil offerings. (1 Kings 11:4-7). They destroy God’s creation, which is us, the humans (John 8:44). Another is Abaddon in Hebrew, Apollyon in Greek = Fallen angel of the pit, the grave, of death, Sheol (Revelation 9:11, Proverbs 15:11, Proverbs 27:20 Job 28:22, Psalm 88:11)

And any sort of false religion or mythology mentioned in the Bible in general, like Greek Mythology where the false belief of hell comes from

Acts 14:12 Barnabas they called Zeus, and Paul, Hermes, because he was the chief speaker. 13 And the priest of Zeus, whose temple was at the entrance to the city, brought oxen and garlands to the gates and wanted to offer sacrifice with the crowds.

The Lord is Almighty (Jeremiah 32:17, Genesis 17:1) and can stop Satan and all the demons whenever He wants. Like mentioned above in Matthew 26:53, Jesus can summon 12 legions of angels and defeat the devil’s forces right now.

But God works in ages, olam in Hebrewk, aionios in Greek. Like with Job, the Lord uses the demons to ultimately benefit us. That’s their role to the Lord.

ISAIAH 48:10 See, I have refined you ... I have tested you in the furnace of affliction.

The Lake of Fire is a metaphor for the suffering we experience from the curse of sin, due to being descendants of Adam, who disobeyed God. And the fallen angels will experience suffering from their sin of disobeying God.

Like a blacksmith that heats up iron in a furnace before molding it into a shape. No blacksmith would put something in a furnace forever, that would be a waste. No baker would leave their bread in the oven forever.

1 Corinthians 15:55: "O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?"

Romans 5:3-4 3 Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4 perseverance, character; and character, hope.

The suffering teaches us that nothing we do can save us. No good work, no following the commandments, no obeying the law saves us, because sin, death, is still in us, only faith alone in Jesus Christ, who is our Blessed Hope, washes away our sin and frees us from Sheol, the grave.

Therefore, the fallen angels will suffer, just like we suffer, because to have sin is to naturally be in pain, which will last until they become believers in Christ Jesus so they are made clean, free of sin.

Psalm 145:3-17 The Lord upholds all those who fall ... The Lord is righteous in all His ways and loving toward all He has made.

So, no matter how many fallen angels there are, they will all be saved, including Satan. They were made by God and the Lord upholds all those who fall. <3