How much fear is healthy?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
fear isn't good. It's an unpleasant and negative state or mind that we all avoid but we all deal with fearmany times in our life, sometimes we beat it and sometimes it beats us but earlier today I ehar something on one of the Christian channels on Sky Plus (UK Satellite TV). It wa discussion programme in which a woman listed the people that won;t enter Heaven which is in Revelations and right at the front of the list is "The Fearful." This woman said that we as Christians ought no thave fear in oru lives and even went as far as to say that fear is a sin. She said that fear is wrong and in order to have a proper relationship with Christ, we cannot ahve any fear in our lvies at all. This is because she said that someone who ahs fear in their life ahs no faith.

Then I realised that we are commanded to "Fear God and keep his commandments," and that "our delight is in the fear of the Lord." We even using the expression, "God fearing CHristian," and Christ himself told usto fear "that which can destroy the Soul."

It strikes me therefore that fear is neccessary, even if it is unpleasant. I'm sure it is natural for us to experience it, all be it int he fallen state we are in becaue I don't think Adam and eve had any concept of it prior to the fall.

So my question is; then: is there such thing as a healthy fear? and how do we achieve the without goign over the top and the fear of God turning into absolute terror? I myself d love God but I fear him too because one day I will be hauled up before himto give account for myself. Will we all feel fear on that day or will there be people who will approach God without fear.

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
fear isn't good. It's an unpleasant and negative state or mind that we all avoid but we all deal with fearmany times in our life, sometimes we beat it and sometimes it beats us but earlier today I ehar something on one of the Christian channels on Sky Plus (UK Satellite TV). It wa discussion programme in which a woman listed the people that won;t enter Heaven which is in Revelations and right at the front of the list is "The Fearful." This woman said that we as Christians ought no thave fear in oru lives and even went as far as to say that fear is a sin. She said that fear is wrong and in order to have a proper relationship with Christ, we cannot ahve any fear in our lvies at all. This is because she said that someone who ahs fear in their life ahs no faith.

Then I realised that we are commanded to "Fear God and keep his commandments," and that "our delight is in the fear of the Lord." We even using the expression, "God fearing CHristian," and Christ himself told usto fear "that which can destroy the Soul."

It strikes me therefore that fear is neccessary, even if it is unpleasant. I'm sure it is natural for us to experience it, all be it int he fallen state we are in becaue I don't think Adam and eve had any concept of it prior to the fall.

So my question is; then: is there such thing as a healthy fear? and how do we achieve the without goign over the top and the fear of God turning into absolute terror? I myself d love God but I fear him too because one day I will be hauled up before himto give account for myself. Will we all feel fear on that day or will there be people who will approach God without fear.
God placed in us a healthy natural fear that helps to protect and warn us of danger. We are also to fear God, but not in the way that we would fear a snake or heights, but in a reverential way with respect and honor.

MPC

Jun 8, 2012
The closer I get the more I fear Him, mostly in regards to sin, not of His condemnation for this is no longer upon me. The more tangible His Holiness becomes to me, the more I fear any act of disobedience and disrespect.

I also fear representing Christ poorly, to declare I am of the Light and then to display any darkness to others, mars the very name of Christ of which I carry. We are His ambassadors, to be holy as He is Holy for we represent the King of Kings.

Lastly, I fear out of shear awe, when any revelation comes to me of the Glory of God and to wonder how I will not be consumed in His presence.

God teaches we are to fear nothing except Him. It is one of the most frequently stated commands throughout scripture to "fear not". Any fear apart from the fear of God is under the Satan's domain, and we give him power when we play into it's lies.

Didymus

Jun 12, 2012
There are people who have irrational fears, and they know they're irrational. It could be an anxiety disorder like PD, OCD, etc. Some excessive fear disorders, like OCD and panic disorder, can be from a chemical imbalance in the brain. For that woman to say that someone isn't saved because they may struggle with fear of one kind or another, is wrong. If someone is suffering from fears that they know are irrational, they should seek the help of a professional. God did, after all, give doctors wisdom to help us. The best thing would be to try and find a Christian doctor/counselor. And I agree with HollyRock, staying in God's word and walking close with Him will relieve many fears. We can always go to God and ask help for any problem, He is not surpirsed or offended if we tell Him that we're afraid and need His help. I don't think there's a Christian who ever lived that never had a fear in their life. We are fragile, fallen human beings. We won't be free of all sin and sickness and fears until we are in the new heavens and earth. Thanks be to God that we can contiuously go to Him with our problems, whatever they may be.
God bless.

Didymus

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
Thank you all for you answers. Now, something else ahs just occoured to me! I havn't studied much in the way of greek or hebrew words in scripture so I'm wondering what for example might the Greek word for fear be in the New Testament and if it emans fear as we know it or could it mean something different like awe for example?

I think I've seen God as a rather frightenning figure at times and I know deep down that this isn't what he wants because he's not a tyrant who just picks people up and throws them into Hell or smites them with lightenning. However, God is just and nothing gets by him kind of like having a CCTV camera on you 24-7. So I do fear his judements, whe I read Acts 2:1.

Is fear or God's judgement irrational for a Christian who has a personal relationship with Christ?