How Should I Pray?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sad story. :(

I find it insulting to us when these people live are a blessing throughout life, them humbled at the end by sickness.

I visited an old friend yesterday...so sad , she was such a strength and blessing in life and testified of the Lord powerfully...now she can hardly walk, her mind is not bad , but she has forgets many word... ( like with the milk, she said to me..." put the music back in the fridge for me ")
...and the elevator she called an oliver.

Yet thank God ...what we see as spoiling our life , God sees as a "light
affliction"!!!! This is the verse the Lord gave me when I moaned at Him, when my dad was dying by inches...( I kept him here at home )
2 Cor 4:17
" For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory"

It didn't look or sound light to me...but God sees it as it is ...a small dash of time. ( 1908 - 1998 ) We so often "look beyond" when we go through stuff.

It says of Jesus ;- "Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God."

We have to remember to "look beyond"...to the sitting down in the kingdom.
( "I have prepared a place for you.." )

Some people don't like old hymns...but I do like the old ones...
"It will be worth it all, when we see Jesus..."
Wow , that old one 'raptures me'. :)

Sometime Mark it is neither God or the Devil... its not always God or the Devil. Sometimes it just is.

Sit by a draughty window, = get a neck ache.
Not God , not the Devil.

When my old dad got boils he would always go to the brewery that he passed in London, on the way home from work ...and he's buy half a pound of brewers yeast. And take it by the spoonful !!! horrid stuff.
But it did the trick. Thankfully it is sold in capsule form these days :D

Here is a link...many bodily complaints we have are due to being low in some vitamin or mineral....reoccurring boils are included in this list as a deficiency of brewers yeast. ( B vitamins)

Brewer's Yeast: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Dosage, and Warning

God bless you brother....praying with you as you pray...✟

One thing that's taught me a tremendous lesson is volunteering at a local retirement home with an Alzheimer's wing. I've had much occasion to know people who don't know who they are, where they are, why they are there, and who I am, but when I quote a Bible verse, or we sing an hymn, it's in their eyes, their spirit lives inside them.

The body grows weaker as the spirit grows stronger, so often through affliction.

Much love!

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Up here in the north we don't get creepy crawlies like you guys....the temps of 40 BELOW kills many off.. :D
( but its just that mosquitos can live through it , ...until spring) :(
This was something new, I've never seen them around here before.

New is not always better!

Reactions: Helen

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sad story. :(

I find it insulting to us when these people live are a blessing throughout life, them humbled at the end by sickness.

I visited an old friend yesterday...so sad , she was such a strength and blessing in life and testified of the Lord powerfully...now she can hardly walk, her mind is not bad , but she has forgets many word... ( like with the milk, she said to me..." put the music back in the fridge for me ")
...and the elevator she called an oliver.

Yet thank God ...what we see as spoiling our life , God sees as a "light
affliction"!!!! This is the verse the Lord gave me when I moaned at Him, when my dad was dying by inches...( I kept him here at home )
2 Cor 4:17
" For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory"

It didn't look or sound light to me...but God sees it as it is ...a small dash of time. ( 1908 - 1998 ) We so often "look beyond" when we go through stuff.

It says of Jesus ;- "Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God."

We have to remember to "look beyond"...to the sitting down in the kingdom.
( "I have prepared a place for you.." )

Some people don't like old hymns...but I do like the old ones...
"It will be worth it all, when we see Jesus..."
Wow , that old one 'raptures me'. :)

Sometime Mark it is neither God or the Devil... its not always God or the Devil. Sometimes it just is.

Sit by a draughty window, = get a neck ache.
Not God , not the Devil.

When my old dad got boils he would always go to the brewery that he passed in London, on the way home from work ...and he's buy half a pound of brewers yeast. And take it by the spoonful !!! horrid stuff.
But it did the trick. Thankfully it is sold in capsule form these days :D

Here is a link...many bodily complaints we have are due to being low in some vitamin or mineral....reoccurring boils are included in this list as a deficiency of brewers yeast. ( B vitamins)

Brewer's Yeast: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Dosage, and Warning

God bless you brother....praying with you as you pray...✟

Very sad for sure. I'm sorry to hear this @marks , it kind of hits close to home as a very dear friend of over 4 decades, has vascular dementia as well. She lost her last sibling about one year ago and feels so alone without her family. She's in Assisted Living now and, still speaks of things that are long gone as if they still were!
Helen, Were you talking about your friend who visits on Fridays??

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Which segues back to my thought in this thread. I can pray for things, or a can pray for greater trust regarding those things. If I'm completely trusting God for my provision, do I then go on to ask Him for my provision? Or is it if I'm thinking I won't be provided for, I should pray that God would increase my faith?

I'm not saying yes or no, just thinking about this question.

Much love!

This remind me of Job..
"Does Job serve ( love) God for naught. "

I often say this to Dave when he is in a moaning mood. We remind each other.

When I am not "under things" I can remember that almost in every situation, the issue is never the issue ...but trusting God unto the end is the whole issue of our life .

I think we are often closer when we are 'down' than when we are flying high. It cause us ( me) to lean into Him more.

James 1-3
"Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.(endurance) But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing. "

Asking for more faith kicks in this verse, ...the way to more faith is to endure more tests and trials . LOL

Yes agree, its good to practice to pray - "Lord give me Your grace to endure until the end."
Wise prayer. :)

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
She's in Assisted Living now and, still speaks of things that are long gone as if they still were!
Yes, I remember that!

And I'm sorry to hear about your friend!

My wife and I joke that we both want simultaneous massive heart attacks, dead before we hit the floor, just two thumps as Mark and Wendy depart for their heavenly destination! But it's not really a joke. We don't want to suffer.

But affliction brings glory, so what should I pray? Take away this affliction? I may as well ask God to remove glory from my resurrection life!

How many times do I pray, Make it stop God! And what I really need is endurance that the trial can complete its work.

Much love!

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen and Nancy

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Helen, Were you talking about your friend who visits on Fridays??

No that is Mary who is fighting liver cancer...this is a lady called Pat which I have known since the 1970's. ( back in our community days :) )

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I remember that!

And I'm sorry to hear about your friend!

My wife and I joke that we both want simultaneous massive heart attacks, dead before we hit the floor, just two thumps as Mark and Wendy depart for their heavenly destination! But it's not really a joke. We don't want to suffer.

But affliction brings glory, so what should O pray? Take away this affliction? I may as well ask God to remove glory from my resurrection life!

How many times do I pray, Make it stop God! And what I really need is endurance that the trial can complete its work.

Much love!

Thank you Mark, God has answered all of my prayers for her, if it would be His will to miraculously restore her sound mind and, if that is not to be then, that she would be content and find her joy in Him again. ♥

"My wife and I joke that we both want simultaneous massive heart attacks, dead before we hit the floor"
Lol...now wouldn't it be something were that to actually happen? :D

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I am not "under things" I can remember that almost in every situation, the issue is never the issue ...but trusting God unto the end is the whole issue of our life .

With my sores last week, it threw me into a panic attack that lasted 2 days. Frightful!

You could say I was "under things". What you say is so very true! The problem isn't the problem, the real problem is not trusting God about my problem.

It's my constant challenge to remember that If I can trust God for my eternity, I can trust Him for this.

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Pearl @Nancy

Pat we do know the promise in James 5 , and it comforts me often-
"The fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. "

I notice it doesn't say ...gets answered every time...but it does say that it avails much!!
I think that is what Elijah did as he prayed for rain. And kept at it until his servant saw a- 'cloud the size of a mans hand' .

Then faith took over ...he told King Ahab to drive his chariot and get back to his palace say- " I hear the sound of an abundance of rain"
Thats faith, blue sky and a tiny cloud , yet he knew his prayer answer was on its way...he had "prayed through".

Do you remember way back in the 70-80's we used to say that.
"Pray through until you know the answer is on the way...then don't pray any more, but start praising for the answer that is coming. "

We don't talk about 'praying through' any more. I don't hear it anyway.

Also we have that picture in 2 Kings 13 where Elisha is dying and says to the King..." Take the arrows and strike the ground...." but the King only struck the ground three times and stopped. Elisha was cross and said ...' if you had persisted beyond 3 times you would have beaten the enemy, now you wont.'
Showing us the persistent fervent prayer wins the day. ( always along with thanksgiving )

As dear Dwayne used to say..."I can feel a glory shout coming on!!"
( Remember him Pat, on Mikes old site, he died at about 35 with his lung problem. Loved his praising spirit @amadeus did too. It amazed me that even when he couldn't breath properly under the anointing he still could sing wonderfully ...remember? He put up a video or him and his brother worshiping. ✟ )
I remember Dwayne well. I believe he lived in Alabama [maybe Mississippi] and one time I was very concerned because we hadn't heard from him for a while and there was a nearly record breaking number of tornados in the state of Alabama. I was praying for him, but he did not leave us that time. It was later...
Give God the glory!

Reactions: Helen

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No that is Mary who is fighting liver cancer...this is a lady called Pat which I have known since the 1970's. ( back in our community days :) )

It's so sad to see our friends suffer. I can only imagine how God feels...we are His children, after all. And, as we are subject to this world and its sickness and disease and horror...we should pray to have the faith, strength, and courage to get through ANY trial with His joy still in our hearts, despite sorrow...easier said than done, I know yet...we KNOW this to be true!
xo

Reactions: marks and Helen

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
"because then we know we are praying in accordance with his will."
And...to me anyhow...this brings on that "Peace that surpasses all understanding" ♥ Good post Pat.
xo
P.S.
Since we know Gods will is that none should perish...we CAN KNOW that He is surely softening her heart and hopefully...she will choose Life ♥
That's what I hope. Nothing is to difficult for God.