How to be saved (born again) and join the family of God!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Think!!! If baptism saves the sinner then Jesus need not have given His blood and life as payment for our sin!

You seem to be ascribing magical properties to water. It is not the water itself that saves us. We are saved in baptism because it is then that God acts - regenerates us, forgives our sins, brings us into the New Covenant. All that was won for us by Jesus shedding his blood. It is applied to us in baptism. That is why baptism saves us.

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You seem to be ascribing magical properties to water. It is not the water itself that saves us. We are saved in baptism because it is then that God acts - regenerates us, forgives our sins, brings us into the New Covenant. All that was won for us by Jesus shedding his blood. It is applied to us in baptism. That is why baptism saves us.

Make up your little mind!!! Do you believe that baptism saves you OR must we believe in God and accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior??

Romans: Chapter 10 verse 9-10-13 GOD SAYS=

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus,
and shalt believe in your heart that God hath raised him
from the dead, thou shalt be Saved. For with the heart man
believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession
is made unto Salvation. For whosoever shall call upon the
name of the Lord shall be Saved....................

---------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------

An example prayer for those that have never talked to God!

Heavenly Father:........................................... ...............................
I come to you in prayer asking for the forgiveness of
my Sins. I confess with my mouth and believe with my
heart that Jesus is your Son, And that he died on the
Cross at Calvary that I might be forgiven and have
Eternal Life in the Kingdom of Heaven. Father, I believe
that Jesus rose from the dead and I ask you right now
to come in to my life and be my personal Lord and
Savior. I repent of my Sins and will Worship you all the
day's of my Life!. Because your word is truth, I confess
with my mouth that I am Born Again and Cleansed
by the Blood of Jesus! In Jesus Name, Amen

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Try to think!!! If an unbeliever agrees to be baptized to please his wife is he then saved or is he still on his way to hell???

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you're all missing the total context of the new testament. You must be baptized, repent, have faith in Jesus, love your neighbor and God, etc etc etc, this all must be done to be saved.

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you're all missing the total context of the new testament. You must be baptized, repent, have faith in Jesus, love your neighbor and God, etc etc etc, this all must be done to be saved.

Why do you not believe God's Words??
Romans: Chapter 10 verse 9-10-13
GOD SAYS=
name of the Lord shall be Saved........

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
GOD SAYS=

You selected one of God's words but rejected all others. I have accepted all of Gods words. You could try that instead of pushing a single verse as if it was the only needed verse in the entire bible. With your thinking I'm not sure why God even bothered writing the entire bible.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Loving your neighbor and God is the result of salvation and has no salvational value in and of itself.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Loving your neighbor and God is the result of salvation and has no salvational value in and of itself.

Then why are all them that don't love their neighbor cast into the lake of fire in Matthew 25:41?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then why are all them that don't love their neighbor cast into the lake of fire in Matthew 25:41?
When I speak of salvation, I am speaking of that which regenerates and renews in the Holy Ghost.

Acts of love are done as the result of being regenerated but they do not regenerate in and of themselves.

If I do not have acts of love on my day of judgment, it is the sign that I was never regenerated.

Of course there are exceptions to this rule; two that I can think of: 1) deathbed conversions, and 2) people who are disabled.

Both situations that I have spoken to above are situations where a man can be counted righteous on his day of judgment apart from works. There may be also other reasons. God is ultimately the judge.

He has said in a parable that if He gives someone a talent to trade with and that person hides that talent in the sand and then gives it back to God on the day of judgment having made no profit with what he was given, he will be considered to be a lazy and slothful servant and will be cast into outer darkness.

So it is the attitude that saves (not being slothful and lazy) rather than the works that are done or not done.

Salvation is "not of works, lest any man should boast;" I would say therefore that a lack of works will not necessarily condemn a man on his day of judgment; for man looks on the outward appearance; but God looks on the heart (1 Samuel 16:7). God, being Omniscient, knows the state of every man's heart, whether there is genuine faith or not.

So some of these works proponents may be surprised on the day of judgment when some people who had no works enter in on the basis of their faith; while they themselves are thrust out, because, although they had works, they did not do those works for the right reasons: they did not accomplish them out of a salvation already given but were trying to earn wages from the Lord. And they wanted the infinite riches of heaven in exchange for works tainted by sin (see Isaiah 64:6). The good news is, we can have those infinite riches; but they are only given as a free gift (Romans 5:15-17, Romans 6:23).

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I speak of salvation, I am speaking of that which regenerates and renews in the Holy Ghost.

Acts of love are done as the result of being regenerated but they do not regenerate in and of themselves.

If I do not have acts of love on my day of judgment, it is the sign that I was never regenerated.

Of course there are exceptions to this rule; two that I can think of: 1) deathbed conversions, and 2) people who are disabled.

Both situations that I have spoken to above are situations where a man can be counted righteous on his day of judgment apart from works. There may be also other reasons. God is ultimately the judge.

He has said in a parable that if He gives someone a talent to trade with and that person hides that talent in the sand and then gives it back to God on the day of judgment having made no profit with what he was given, he will be considered to be a lazy and slothful servant and will be cast into outer darkness.

So it is the attitude that saves (not being slothful and lazy) rather than the works that are done or not done.

Salvation is "not of works, lest any man should boast;" I would say therefore that a lack of works will not necessarily condemn a man on his day of judgment; for man looks on the outward appearance; but God looks on the heart (1 Samuel 16:7). God, being Omniscient, knows the state of every man's heart, whether there is genuine faith or not.

So some of these works proponents may be surprised on the day of judgment when some people who had no works enter in on the basis of their faith; while they themselves are thrust out, because, although they had works, they did not do those works for the right reasons: they did not accomplish them out of a salvation already given but were trying to earn wages from the Lord. And they wanted the infinite riches of heaven in exchange for works tainted by sin (see Isaiah 64:6). The good news is, we can have those infinite riches; but they are only given as a free gift (Romans 5:15-17, Romans 6:23).

I agree that God changes our hearts to do his will, I am often compelled towards charity for others inline with Matthew 25:35-41. So what your saying is that we get changed by the Holy Spirit and that is part of our salvation, which then we do good works because we walk with God?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree that God changes our hearts to do his will, I am often compelled towards charity for others inline with Matthew 25:35-41. So what your saying is that we get changed by the Holy Spirit and that is part of our salvation, which then we do good works because we walk with God?
By George, I think you've got it!

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I get a feeling of deja-vu about the OP.

Just a reminder
Jesus said He who believes and is baptized will be saved (Mk 16:16)
Peter wrote: Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you (1Pet 3:21)

Nothing Satan loves better than misquoted Scripture ...

“ All Of Those That BELIEVE and are Baptized shall be Saved.....All Of this That do NOT BELIEVE will be condemned.”
Notice how the “ Baptized” part is left out of the “ condemned “ sentence? This is crucial stuff ! Do you think Jesus “forgot” to throw that in? Why did you not include the part that I just did?

Reactions: GISMYS_7

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
GOD SAYS=
Those verses are for the regenerate. Men dead in sin cant do any of that !

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like a lot of what you said but don't totally agree with that. For instance service to the Lord brings fruits of the Holy Spirit from my experience. Galatians 5:22-23. And being idle does not allow for salvation, whether by faith or not, unless you're disabled or something. And Jesus taught people who don't behave with his specified works don't survive the lake of fire.

Hi Devin,
My take is that good works are a "result" of being born of God. Before Christ, our "works" were as "filthy rags" to God. But, with Christ and the Holy Spirit within us, we are spurred onto good works because He puts that in our hearts.
Many times before I knew The Lord, I'd help people out now and then but not always without grumbling...NOW though, it is a whole different ball game...He makes me WANT to be His hands and feet on this earth...helping to feed and clothe the poor and destitute. If someone would have asked me even 10 years ago that I would be doing what I am now doing, I probably would have said: 'Ha! I work hard for the little I earn so, if I'm gonna do something I wanna get paid!!!' Oh how He changes us as we obey and walk into the good works He has already set before us :)

Ephesians 2:10
"For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them."

He opens opportunities and if we are sensitive to His leading...we will recognize what good works He has for us...we simply "walk into them"!

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Make up your little mind!!! Do you believe that baptism saves you OR must we believe in God and accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior??

Romans: Chapter 10 verse 9-10-13 GOD SAYS=

name of the Lord shall be Saved....................

---------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------

An example prayer for those that have never talked to God!

Heavenly Father:........................................... ...............................
I come to you in prayer asking for the forgiveness of
my Sins. I confess with my mouth and believe with my
heart that Jesus is your Son, And that he died on the
Cross at Calvary that I might be forgiven and have
Eternal Life in the Kingdom of Heaven. Father, I believe
that Jesus rose from the dead and I ask you right now
to come in to my life and be my personal Lord and
Savior. I repent of my Sins and will Worship you all the
day's of my Life!. Because your word is truth, I confess
with my mouth that I am Born Again and Cleansed
by the Blood of Jesus! In Jesus Name, Amen

We are saved in baptism but faith is required, just as Jesus said: He who believes and is baptized will be saved (Mk 16:16)

Reactions: dev553344 and Nancy