How to Die to Yourself Daily-Philippians 3

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dga

Dec 22, 2020
Ashford
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Jesus said, that we should carry our cross daily, and die to ourselves, if we want to follow him. At the first glance to that saying of Jesus, it seems very difficult thing to do, and we ask ourselves the question, if we can actually do that, on a daily basis, being non perfect human beings, although we have the Holy Spirit in us to help us to do so.

When we read Philippians 3:7-10, we can see, that Paul was really counting everything in his earthly life, as rubbish, in order for him, to get more of God. In other words, Paul was looking to the eternal value of spending his life for Jesus, and the things God wanted him to do on earth, instead of spending his life for himself, and the things he wanted to do for himself.

Paul realised, that if had spend his life for himself and the things he wanted to do, instead of what God had in plan for his life, then, he would get all those human earthly desires satisfied, but the value of that, would be only for his life on earth, without bringing any value for his eternal life. That is why he decided to give life to those heavenly things in his life, which would serve God, and not himself, and would have value for his eternal life in heaven.

As Jesus said that we should die for ourselves, in order to live for him, he meant that we should set what he has commanded us to do, in our daily life, to the priority number 1, and then, after that do what we want to do. As the Bible says that we should not longer live for ourselves, but for him, who died on the cross for us, that is Jesus.

It is impossible to live for what God desires from us, and to live for ourselves, at the same time, because we will fall in love with the one or the other. We can not serve two masters.
We need to be just like a seed in the ground. Unless it dies, it will remain forever in the ground as a seed, but will not produce fruit. The only way for a seed to produce fruit, is when it dies.

So, in a similar way, God wants our life to be like a seed, which will produce fruit, only when we die for ourselves. Is that easy to do? Not at all! In a matter of fact, to die for ourselves on a daily basis is often very difficult, because we have to say 'No' to our flesh, and say 'Yes' to the Holy Spirit in us. And that is where the battle is in our life, when we have to sacrifice what we want, in order to get what God wants, and our desires will sometime, conflict with what God desires for us.

But the Holy Spirit is there, to help us, become overcomes, just like Jesus said, that he has overcome the world.

In order for us, to know God better, to have more of God in us, and to know the power of God in our life, just as Apostle Paul wanted to do, as written in Philippians 3:7-10, we have to come to a point, where we can say like him "I consider all things rubbish, in order to gain Christ." Everybody can say that, but to do that, there must be a sacrifice or ourselves, and that is sometimes very difficult to do, but it is possible, when the Holy Spirit is involved, and gives us the ability, power and grace to do so. If he does not help us, we can not die to ourselves in order to serve God, but will possibly find living for ourselves, more often.

MORE: What an Amazing Way to Get All You Need
https://christianbibleexplorationuk.weebly.com/blog/what-amazing-way-to-get-what-you-need

Last edited:

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
not everyone is chosen to be an apostle, the Life one has received in Christ is the life to live. there are many people who live up-right and just and trust worthy lives in Christ that very few will know of. Jesus didn't come so one can be a servant, Jesus came that one can have life more abundantly.

people get that God is with you if you walk with Him.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"If anyone would come after Me, let Him deny Himself and take up his cross and follow Me." Matthew 16:24
"Whoever does not take up his cross and follow Me is not worthy of Me." Matthew 10:38

MattMooradian

Apr 3, 2020
MUNSTER, Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Care about the things of this world versus care about the things of God - yes; this is an extremely important point. Concern about food, especially good tasting food, even the nutritional value of food is evidence that we care about this world. Thoughts about sex, beauty, physical attractiveness, attractive clothing, jewelry, hair styles all evince concerns about this world. Thoughts about career advancement, what neighborhood our home is in, how successful or intelligent our children are all display our concerns about this world. Thinking too much about how much money we have saved for retirement is evidence that we care too much about this world. Thoughts about our health, how well we are aging, how good our health insurance is or even that we have a right to health care are all concerns about this world. Concerns about politics, which party wins, what the values of that party are, if abortion is legal or illegal are all concerns about this world ("Resist not evil"). There are a myriad of ways humans place more significance upon how they are doing or how they appear to others to be doing.

Jesus told his disciples not to resist evil. If someone wants your coat, give it to the person and give them even more than they ask for. Give until it hurts; that is, give until you have nothing left for yourself - trust God to provide for you, like the birds of the air (this is pure ignorance to the people of "this world" - followers of Satan). Although, we are allowed to have spouses (because of the hardness of our hearts), it is preferred by God that we remain single. Clearly, most Christians cannot live up to Jesus' lifestyle recommendations (sermon on the mount). Even further, most Christians minimize the significance of Jesus' lifestyle recommendations. 'No one can do it anyways, therefore, there is no reason to recommend that Christians live according to Jesus' recommendations'. This leaves us free to hoard money, make our homes look beautiful, brag about our children's achievements, seek good tasting experiences, etc. All these concerns display to what degree we follow the "lord of this world" vs. following the one true God.

I must admit that I fall short in my efforts to live the life recommended by Jesus. But, with God's help, I am becoming more pleasing to God over time. Despite my shortcomings, I implore all Christians not to ignore how great a degree they are following the 'lord of this world'.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Platitudes! Are we masking the degree to which we follow the 'lord of this world' by quoting scriptures? Think about all the myriad of ways that you, as an individual, are choosing the ways of this world over the ways of God. I judge not, because I have given myself the same challenge. Even something so simple as 'concern about my health' or 'concern about my children's success' is evidence that I care more about 'this world'. But, we have to comply with 'this world' or suffer the consequences of trusting God. Most of us chose to rely upon ourselves rather than God - we do resist evil (i.e., oppose abortion) and we do care about our degree of financial success. then, we tell ourselves that we are good Christians and ignore all the many ways we are actually following Satan.
Hi. Either we follow Christ or we don't. Merry Christmas! :)

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I could make a good argument He orchestrated the whole thing.
The Levite priest would make the daily animal sacrifice first for himself and then for the people, much as I take up my cross daily for my "animal" sacrifice, and then teach the people to do the same. :)

Pathfinder7

Mar 8, 2020
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said, that we should carry our cross daily, and die to ourselves, if we want to follow him. At the first glance to that saying of Jesus, it seems very difficult thing to do, and we ask ourselves the question, if we can actually do that, on a daily basis, being non perfect human beings, although we have the Holy Spirit in us to help us to do so.

When we read Philippians 3:7-10, we can see, that Paul was really counting everything in his earthly life, as rubbish, in order for him, to get more of God. In other words, Paul was looking to the eternal value of spending his life for Jesus, and the things God wanted him to do on earth, instead of spending his life for himself, and the things he wanted to do for himself.

Paul realised, that if had spend his life for himself and the things he wanted to do, instead of what God had in plan for his life, then, he would get all those human earthly desires satisfied, but the value of that, would be only for his life on earth, without bringing any value for his eternal life. That is why he decided to give life to those heavenly things in his life, which would serve God, and not himself, and would have value for his eternal life in heaven.

As Jesus said that we should die for ourselves, in order to live for him, he meant that we should set what he has commanded us to do, in our daily life, to the priority number 1, and then, after that do what we want to do. As the Bible says that we should not longer live for ourselves, but for him, who died on the cross for us, that is Jesus.

It is impossible to live for what God desires from us, and to live for ourselves, at the same time, because we will fall in love with the one or the other. We can not serve two masters.
We need to be just like a seed in the ground. Unless it dies, it will remain forever in the ground as a seed, but will not produce fruit. The only way for a seed to produce fruit, is when it dies.

So, in a similar way, God wants our life to be like a seed, which will produce fruit, only when we die for ourselves. Is that easy to do? Not at all! In a matter of fact, to die for ourselves on a daily basis is often very difficult, because we have to say 'No' to our flesh, and say 'Yes' to the Holy Spirit in us. And that is where the battle is in our life, when we have to sacrifice what we want, in order to get what God wants, and our desires will sometime, conflict with what God desires for us.

But the Holy Spirit is there, to help us, become overcomes, just like Jesus said, that he has overcome the world.

In order for us, to know God better, to have more of God in us, and to know the power of God in our life, just as Apostle Paul wanted to do, as written in Philippians 3:7-10, we have to come to a point, where we can say like him "I consider all things rubbish, in order to gain Christ." Everybody can say that, but to do that, there must be a sacrifice or ourselves, and that is sometimes very difficult to do, but it is possible, when the Holy Spirit is involved, and gives us the ability, power and grace to do so. If he does not help us, we can not die to ourselves in order to serve God, but will possibly find living for ourselves, more often.

MORE: What an Amazing Way to Get All You Need
https://christianbibleexplorationuk.weebly.com/blog/what-amazing-way-to-get-what-you-need
Good post..
- On Philippians 3:7-10
---
Philippians 3:12-14
- My favorite scripture/verses.

Blessings,

Last edited: