How to grow in the Word

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually this thread is not about growth in Christ...but growth in the bible...which leads to many various doctrines...none of which leads to life.
is not Jesus the christ the author of the words in the bible?

PICJAG

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If all men regarded old love letters as more valuable than an actual relationship with a woman...natural life on earth would cease to exist. And this is exactly what has happened to spiritual life on earth. People prefer the dead letter to the life giving Spirit...because they can pick and choose what words they want to hear.

But there is no life in it.

The bible does not give life. In fact the bible is the Trojan horse that the devil has used to infiltrate the churches with his lies.

And no one seems to understand what happened.
I'm very sorry to hear this because thise OLD LOVE LETTERS is Life to have the relationship with the Person. it's an introduction to each other.

also sorry to hear you say, "The bible does not give life", John 6:63 "It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life. and his words are written in the bible. one more, John 5:39 "Search the scriptures; for in them ye thank ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me".

if you want you can toss out all your old Love letter if you want, that's your choice.

this is just another way of to get rid of the bible the truth and the way to God, cain't buy that. thanks but no thanks.

PICJAG.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Triggered? I never accused you in my post.
I was speaking in generally that it is a larger problem when this happens and also trying to get clarity. Why not just stay and try to make a different vibe there?
I DID...after a year, I thought it must be something about me. I had a meeting with a pastor, he said to step out of my "comfort" zone. I made every attempt to get close to folks there as I never wanted to leave a Church because of "people" as, they are not my focus. And, one of the biggest reasons for actually attending was for fellowship and service, together with my Christian family. It just never came to fruition so, the last summer there (last year) I did nothing BUT pray earnestly for some kind of a breakthrough as, I had all the time in the world because I had to be off my foot for 10 weeks, from surgery. Not a one cared to even ask after my healing, when will I be back, nothing. And...when I DID come back...no reception whatsoever, and at that point I had the walking boot on. I was embarrassed and dissapointed at the same time. Embarrassed because I do not like to draw that kind of attention and disappointment that not a one greeted me. It was last August when I was able to return to services after surgery and, I was sitting at the prayer tent out front, so I would see everyone file in. Now mind you, I said hello to them, I was lucky to get a nod. I don't think I've ever felt that alone in a group of people, especially when they claim Christianity. I understand that since most of the folks there are married with children, have jobs etc... But that does not excuse their rudeness or just ignoring you. My new Church (well old, new-used to go there long time ago but they are too far out, they opened a campus near me and...that was last year!) When I found that out, I knew I had to leave where I was. And there is a huge difference between the two. There is way more opportunities to serve, the warmth is palpable and people actually will walk up to you and start a convo. Almost had me speechless when one did that with me! One of my old HS friends attends and we sit together with her cousins and sister, I have met more people there in a few short months than the 2.5 years at my old place. Could it be that maybe God saw me as a better fit in a different local body? I don't know.
I'm sorry if I jumped on you. It's just that I never experienced that kind of pain in my heart as, I was so hoping to find true fellowship, friends throughout the week to spend time with in the Word, or with prayer, maybe meet for lunch or something. I wanted to have gatherings in my home and am still hoping and praying about that.
So, there ya have it. Again, I'm sorry if I was rude. And yes, you did "trigger" something in me, lol.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm very sorry to hear this because thise OLD LOVE LETTERS is Life to have the relationship with the Person. it's an introduction to each other.

also sorry to hear you say, "The bible does not give life", John 6:63 "It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life. and his words are written in the bible. one more, John 5:39 "Search the scriptures; for in them ye thank ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me".

if you want you can toss out all your old Love letter if you want, that's your choice.

this is just another way of to get rid of the bible the truth and the way to God, cain't buy that. thanks but no thanks.

PICJAG.

It's always a zero sum game isn't it with people. I study the bible perhaps more than anyone on this forum....yet I esteem the Spirit more highly as He gives me actual life in Christ.Studying the bible is useful if one uses this not INSTEAD of walking in the power of God.

So the very verses you have cited prove you have the wrong emphasis. Faith comes by hearing the actual voice of the Lord. The bible doesn't do that. Of course God can use the bible. But then so does the devil and so do religious people.
If you can't discern the difference...which one are you?

Reactions: faithfulness

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
GINOLJC, to all.
Addressing the OP only, Good topic. especially the part,

this is true, milk first, (knowledge), but don't get planted on milk only. growth need good soil and good fertilization, (understanding), by the Holy Spirit. other word, if taught correctly, then the plant will grow strong. but if taught incorrectly, (without the Holy Spirit) when tested suffer loss, (but saved, see 1 Corinthians 3:12-15). for if one is fed only milk, then the result will be weak plant. for the scriptures are true,
Isaiah 28:9 "Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.
Isaiah 28:10 "For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little".

so yes, we agree with your assessment, just don't stay on milk, be a Bere, for they search the scriptures daily, not weekly, nor monthly, or yearly, BUT DAILY. .

PICJAG.
Absolutely, 101G. Those verses you brought out, I could have added, and should have, since it is important to show the steps in growth, which one can easily see in the later epistles as John mentions babes, young men and fathers. A person cannot rise above the level of a novice unless there is a foundation, for the writer of the Hebrews tells us that there is a time when one ought to be a teacher, but because whatever it was one did know at the first has slipped. So those who let them slip need to be taught again the first principles of the oracles of God. We can only "go on to perfection" or maturity if we have laid in our lives the six principles listed in Heb. 6. Sadly, "laying again" seems to be a repetitive cycle in the church today, as so many are not being taught in a systematic way, but rather are given steer messages from the pulpit more than anything else.

Last edited:

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's always a zero sum game. I study the bible perhaps more than anyone on this forum....yet I esteem the Spirit more highly as He gives me actual life in Christ.

So the very verses you have cited prove you have the wrong emphasis. Faith comes by hearing the actual voice of the Lord. The bible doesn't do that. Of course God can use the bible. But then so does the devil and so do religious people.
If you can't discern the difference...which one are you?
first thanks for the reply. second, let us correct you. you said the topic is about "Grow in the Word", not about life in the spirit, look at your topic again and your last post.

now, God the Lord Jesus is speaking to us through his written word. you said, "one have to hear his actual voice?" well faith do come by hearing, but let's see how? let's see, Romans 10:17 "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God". how do one hear the Word of god, let's see. Romans 10:14 "How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?. well this goes right back to "GROWING" in christ God word, Ephesians 4:14 "That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
Ephesians 4:15 "But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ"

now actually in hearing his voice, Luke 10:16 "He that heareth you heareth me; and he that despiseth you despiseth me; and he that despiseth me despiseth him that sent me". if one hear the words of the bible, Peter, James Paul... ect. then you're hearing JESUS.

now just one question. are you saying that you don't have to hear or read the bible anymore? yes or no.

PICJAG.

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I DID...after a year, I thought it must be something about me. I had a meeting with a pastor, he said to step out of my "comfort" zone. I made every attempt to get close to folks there as I never wanted to leave a Church because of "people" as, they are not my focus. And, one of the biggest reasons for actually attending was for fellowship and service, together with my Christian family. It just never came to fruition so, the last summer there (last year) I did nothing BUT pray earnestly for some kind of a breakthrough as, I had all the time in the world because I had to be off my foot for 10 weeks, from surgery. Not a one cared to even ask after my healing, when will I be back, nothing. And...when I DID come back...no reception whatsoever, and at that point I had the walking boot on. I was embarrassed and dissapointed at the same time. Embarrassed because I do not like to draw that kind of attention and disappointment that not a one greeted me. It was last August when I was able to return to services after surgery and, I was sitting at the prayer tent out front, so I would see everyone file in. Now mind you, I said hello to them, I was lucky to get a nod. I don't think I've ever felt that alone in a group of people, especially when they claim Christianity. I understand that since most of the folks there are married with children, have jobs etc... But that does not excuse their rudeness or just ignoring you. My new Church (well old, new-used to go there long time ago but they are too far out, they opened a campus near me and...that was last year!) When I found that out, I knew I had to leave where I was. And there is a huge difference between the two. There is way more opportunities to serve, the warmth is palpable and people actually will walk up to you and start a convo. Almost had me speechless when one did that with me! One of my old HS friends attends and we sit together with her cousins and sister, I have met more people there in a few short months than the 2.5 years at my old place. Could it be that maybe God saw me as a better fit in a different local body? I don't know.
I'm sorry if I jumped on you. It's just that I never experienced that kind of pain in my heart as, I was so hoping to find true fellowship, friends throughout the week to spend time with in the Word, or with prayer, maybe meet for lunch or something. I wanted to have gatherings in my home and am still hoping and praying about that.
So, there ya have it. Again, I'm sorry if I was rude. And yes, you did "trigger" something in me, lol.
Our walks seem to have so many similarities, Nancy. I was saved in '72 and was immediately thrust into the prevailing Jesus Movement of those days, meeting in homes with young people, some of whom felt they were called to be leaders, followed by announcements they made to that effect. My interest was to remain in fellowship, but my greatest desire was to complete my academic pursuits at the college, then university. I was never permitted into the inner workings of any of the groups with whom I met. Instead, I was always the outsider, mostly because I struggled financially as a student and had very little to give to any church or home group. Without money, one is never acknowledged, which will always be the case as I view the church world today.

After moving from home groups, I joined a larger Charismatic church. I was still hitchhiking to campus and collecting soda bottles which I redeemed to have enough money for one meal each day. Consequently, no one, especially not the major cliques of any of the places I stepped into for fellowship, welcomed me or shook my hand. And why would they? I had no money to give them, and so, as a means to give, I played the bass for worship any time there was a service, day or night. Not once was a paid a dime. It was my way of giving back, but even that wasn't really accepted as a contribution, but rather a desire to perform, to flaunt my talent.

Then, once I graduated, moved North, then back to FL, God led me to a good paying job, and so I was able to give offerings to the church I was attending. It was regular and always the same amount every Sunday, which, finally, got me noticed. Was I greeted at the door? Absolutely, the pastor stood right there to welcome me as I walked in, shook my hand, asked me about myself, and pretended to by my friend. I really didn't know him. He never asked me over to his house or to join him fishing or something, but he did show a welcoming attitude when I continued to pay my tithes. Because the services at that gathering never ended with an altar call, I chose to move on, searched for years for a replacement, but the places were all the same....and so I stay at home and like it this way. After all, there's far too much church politics these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
now just one question. are you saying that you don't have to hear or read the bible anymore? yes or no.

Do you see that you are making this an either or? A zero sum game.

I normally don't answer people twice as all they have to do is re-read my post to get the answer. I find the reading comprehension skills very poor here on the forum. And these are expected to understand the bible? I don't think so.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you see that you are making this an either or? A zero sum game.

I normally don't answer people twice as all they have to do is re-read my post to get the answer. I find the reading comprehension skills very poor here on the forum. And these are expected to understand the bible? I don't think so.

reading comprehension skills very poor here on the forum? well I'm no expert in the english language, just common people, nor do I have a phd or a dd. but I'm like the apostle Paul, 2 Corinthians 11:3 "But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

so since my skills are not on a level of your I will bow out of this conversatation.

PICJAG.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
reading comprehension skills very poor here on the forum? well I'm no expert in the english language, just common people, nor do I have a phd or a dd. but I'm like the apostle Paul, 2 Corinthians 11:3 "But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

so since my skills are not on a level of your I will bow out of this conversatation.

PICJAG.

Actually with Adam it was a difficulty with his hearing...his hearing comprehension skills. He was told to not eat of the fruit of a certain tree.

But since so few hear from God anymore it comes down to misunderstanding the bible...and even other people's posts. So then it is reading skills that are lacking...even the very simplest ideas.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Love this post. It seems to me that there is a lack of discipleship in the "Church's" I have been to. I have never had a "mentor" so to speak. Nobody takes the new-uns under their wings. Although, there was this one girl from the second Church I attended (and the longest one too-in attendance) who I think was trying to do that with me but at that time, I was not hearing her. And that was early 90's. Since then, not hide nor hair of an actual person approaching a newcomer. These "Churches" have become waaaaay too large...IMO. I do understand that (esp. my present place of worship) that there are different events like bible studies, and also discipleship classes but...it just seems so formal! I wonder if the Church of Acts had disciple ship classes, lol. Anyhow...Good post Hope.

Paul taught in Tyrannus' school. Paul and Barnabas taught "a considerable multitude" for over a year in Antioch.

I've had a couple of people mentor me at times, but life changed, we were not longer in proximaty. I've looke to mentor some in my church, but for the most part, this never seems to go very far. There are few interested. And I agree, smaller fellowships make for better discipling.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So then why do biblicist who basically worship a book...disrespect the walk in Christ so much?

. . . a false accusation. A twisting of words. Pure projection. Who is it that falsely accuses the brethren?

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The question of spiritual growth is presently problematic for me not due to biblical teaching itself, but due to the reality of deteriorating mental capabilities resulting from various forms of dementia, mental health issues, and sheer loss of mental sharpness due to advancing age. So I often seem to see mental and spiritual regression, when I wish I saw progressive maturity. Does God judge the end result of our spiritual journey or ourselves at an age and heath condition when we are at our best? The Bible displays respect for the wisdom of advancing age, but the factors mentioned often seem to produce the opposite result. For example, many have observed the apparent deteriorization of character that often results from a stroke. To simply claim that God takes all our handicaps into account is to duck the central question. Because these issue have affected family members I dearly love and respect, I find myself resisting easy cliched answers.

Well that explains the site name, then. I was wondering, LoL.

About this, Berserk, I think God judges us based on how well we did with the circumstances we found ourselves in, past, present and future, because those circumstances change. But about your condition, I wouldn't just accept dementia as a permanent part of the rest of my life. I would believe God that I go to my grave in health, and that I will still be used of God effectively until the very end.

Reactions: Nancy and marks

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
. . . a false accusation. A twisting of words. Pure projection. Who is it that falsely accuses the brethren?

Backwards. The spiritual side of the church correctly discerns the carnal nature of the religious posturing of they who are not. But the religious side is the one that concludes that the Spirit is demonic. Was Jesus put to death by a spiritual people or a religious people?

You may not know the answer...but most here do. You are just exposing yourself here as religious. :oops:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The bible does not give life. In fact the bible is the Trojan horse that the devil has used to infiltrate the churches with his lies.

How many times will these things be said, without a recognition of what this fellow is saying?