How to handle spiritual harassment?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tom_Is_Second

Sep 22, 2012
I'm 24, I recommitted my life to God about 4 months ago and surrendered control of my life to Him. Since then, it's been blessing after blessing. 4 months into my new job at a Fortune 500 company, I get a promotion and my coworkers look up to me. I am no longer lonely and getting involved in a church and starting to make friends here in Dallas. Best of all, I have victoriously conquered some bad habits in my life that kept me in sin. I want to use everything I have to serve God.

For the past few weeks though, these thoughts and anxieties have popped in my head. I've suddenly and randomly been plagued with thoughts of worthlessness, guilt over my past (although its not that bad), and self-hate. I look at myself in the mirror and hate things I cannot change about myself. The crazy part is that nothing is wrong! Strangers tell me I'm attractive and my life is nothing but blessings! And yet, this demonic harassment is so bad it brings me to tears sometimes and I only get comfort when I pray and read the Bible. It's been years since I've experienced this type of torment.

The timing of everything is no coincidence. The devil is trying to take everything God gave me, and I'm praying to God to make it stop. I'm pushing through and trusting in Him because according the scriptures I know this all will end soon. I just feel like each day is being stolen from me when I should be celebrating. What else should I do? Should I seek Christian counseling? It's just so painful...

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Tom, This is a problem many folks go through and the only way to defeat it is with spiritual warfare. The attacks by satan are only going to get worse for all christians across the board. How you pray is the deciding factor. If we just pray for it to go away, it is unlikely it will be successful. We have to actively assert the authority Christ gave us and pray the Word! Find bible verses that speak to your specific situation. For instance you mentioned feelings of self-hate. You can use verses that tell you you're a child of God, that you are an heir and a king and priest in God's kingdom and speak them to the devil directly. Use this verse to tell satan that I have submitted myself unto God, I resist you satan in the name of Jesus and God's word says YOU MUST FLEE!!

Familiarize yourself with the armor of God as found in Eph. 6:10-18. Here are two example prayers for spiritual warfare. The first is a prayer of the armor.

Prayer of the Armor
I am to be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. It is written greater is He that is in me then he that is in the world, I am more then a conqueror through Jesus Christ my Lord and I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. I am to put on the belt of Truth. Jesus said, “I am the way the truth and the light, no one comes to the Father except by me. It is written, I will know the truth and the truth will set me free. I put on the breastplate of righteousness, for it is written that the prayers of a righteous man avails much and the righteous are as bold as lions and that I should be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith.

I put on the sandals of the gospel of peace as it is written how beautiful are the feet of him who brings the good news of the gospel and Jesus said to “Go ye therefore, and teach all nations,…Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, Lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. “ Above all I take the shield of faith as it is written the just shall live by faith and faith is the substance of things hoped for the evidence of things not seen and I am to live by faith, walk by faith, pray by faith, resist evil by faith, overcome the world by faith until I finally die in my faith. Next I am to put on my helmet of salvation as it is written I am saved by grace not of works lest any man should boast. I am to work out my salvation and rejoice that I was appointed unto salvation and shall not suffer His wrath. Finally, I take the sword of the spirit which is the word of God. I am to stand in awe of His word, search the word, speak boldly the word, preach the word, glorify the word, obey the word and be willing to suffer for the word. Amen!

The second is an example prayer for alcoholism but you can change the words to adapt to your specific situation.

Heavenly Father, I just want to praise and worship you. I praise you for all the mercies you have shown me and for all the times you have forgiven me. I worship you because you are the Creator of this beautiful world we live on and because you offered up your Son as a sacrifice for my sinfulness. Lord I repent of the sins I have committed, especially all the drinking I have been doing and I ask that you forgive me for my weaknesses. Lord, I pray that you’ll help me to stay sober, one day at a time and that every day you’ll help me to be an overcomer in this area. Father God, I ask for the Holy Spirit’s help and assistance as I wage a spiritual warfare against the demons that torment me. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth and by the authority He has given me I come against and bind the spirits of alcoholism, drunkenness, and partying. I loose upon myself the blessings of soberness, peace and a sound mind. I rebuke these spirits and command them to never darken the door of my heart again for I have submitted myself unto God and I resist you demons in the name of Jesus Christ, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. I command that you get out of my life and be cast into the places where the Lord Jesus sends you. Heavenly Father, I thank you for the release from this habit and in faith I believe I am an overcomer of alcoholism. I thank you for the victories that have been brought forth this day and I thank you for the armor that you have provided to help me continue with the battles of sin in my life. Lord, I pray for boldness so that I may share all that you have done for me with others that have been suffering with this condition. Victory is mine and You, Jesus are the truth and by faith the truth has set me free. Amen!

It's important to try and utilize all the adjectives you can for your specific situation. For example say you had a problem with stealing. Then you name the demons of robbery, stealing, theft, dishonesty, lying, etc. and command them, don't ask, to get out of your life.

The deliverance probably won't happen over night. You have to persevere, keep standing on the verses you find, be strong in faith and victory will come! Welcome to the fight brother and stand strong!

Reactions: Tom_Is_Second

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi Tom,

Thanks for sharing. The battle in the mind can be long and waring, but don't give up.

Satan is a predator and he doesn't care how happy you are in the Lord. If he can ruin it, he will. Remember too, the Lord wants you to win.

Trekson has given some good advice and tools, but remember God wants to work with us, and, He wants us to let Him take the heavy part of the load for us. 1 Peter 5:7 Casting all your care upon him; for he cares for you.

There is also healing from the Lord, for those parts of your inner man which took a beating from sin and the world. Don't be afraid to invite Him to work in those areas of need of which you are aware, such as the ones you named. It is true that in Christ we are complete and finished (perfected Heb 10:14) but God wants us to experience what that means, in our tangible reality. The Lord allows these times, to help us grow. He intends that real spiritual character be formed in us, so that as men of God there is real backbone to our spiritual life.

Oswald Chambers says that character is formed in us as we do the daily repetitive round of ordinary things, and that is also true - that faithfulness to 'duty' works a different aspect of character in us.

A most important weapon against Satan, apart from resisting him, is worship and praise to the Lord. If you can break out of how you're feeling - tempted to look at yourself - so that instead you are looking to the Lord - rejoicing, praising, singing, focusing on His word praying in the Spirit, you create a spiritually natural environment in which Satan is uncomfortable to linger. This is not about worshipping until the problem goes away. It's about worshipping anyway, because God is worthy.

Have you ever heard of Jim Logan, of Biblical Restoration Ministries?

A while ago, I heard a series called Spiritual Warfare, which he delivered to Christians, and a while later listened to some of his other talks. He has a gift for simplicity, and making relevant scripture come alive, which I think you'll find helpful. I'm not going to tell you which titles to listen to, but I think you'll be comforted by the honesty of his treatment of various different topics, and the realistim he applies to different issues.

Probably all his material is on his website, but I found it here, too: http://sermon.net/index?search=Jim Logan
He's also very gentle with his audiences, and understands that some victories take time.

God bless you.

ALightbulb

Feb 23, 2012
Tom,

I would recommend reading The Battlefield of the Mind by Joyce Meyer. It focuses on how to break Satan's strongholds on us and I find it very helpful to read when dealing with spiritual warfare.

Keeping you in my prayers!

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Tom, If I were to recommend a book it would be The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis. It's a fictional book about how demons can operate to bring a christian to the point of uselessness. One thing I'd like to add is that you should take encouragement from your troubles. Satan doesn't mess with those he isn't scared of.

Tom_Is_Second

Sep 22, 2012
Thank you everyone! I'm going to utilize everything you guys suggested and overcome this : )

I might not have been using scripture and prayer like I should have. This just all happened so suddenly and randomly it threw me off guard, and the attacks come when I'm alone... never when I'm around friends and fellow believers. But God is still greater!

Endtime

Oct 18, 2012
Get into Prayer three times a day morning noon and evening. Ask God to fill you with Himself and remove the spirit of man first and foremost. God will replace you with Him and you won't know the difference except in Power and knowledge and understanding. He truly will lead you into all truth.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
learning to love yourself because God loves you takes time - it is part of our sanctification so you are not alone. I will pray for you!

Endtime

Oct 18, 2012
You will Love yourself a lot better and faster if you ask God to fill you with Himself. Because then there is really something there to Love.

rand

Sep 10, 2012
Here is my two cents worth:

Don't ask God to make it stop. He gave you instructions and the authority to make it stop. He told you to take those thoughts captive. The thoughts of worthlessness and uselessness are not coming from Him, they are coming from the accuser--don't agree with him, agree with God.

Read Math 13:44 where the man finds a gem in the field and hides it and goes home and sells all that he has so he can buy the field and have that treasure forever. Only this time, read it keeping in mind that Jesus is the man and you are the gem. He treasures you that much!

Raeneske

Sep 18, 2012
You know, Satan brings nothing new to the table sometimes. All his lies are just painted in different colors, and disguised to look like there's so much truth to every condemning thought he can bring to the Christian's mind. Don't be decieved, took me a while to understand this - It's not you. Sure, sometimes our minds act up, but seriously. Satan is planting such thoughts. He's the one who brings these horrid suggestions to people's minds. Just shake your head when these thoughts come and say, "Get thee hence Safan". The most amazing thing, is that this works. I used to be plagued with horrid thoughts, being lost, or blaspheming thoughts, until I understood what was going on. Then, you can notice the enemy when he sneaks in and say "Get thee hence Satan".

I seriously hope you're blessed, and i'll lift up prayers for you. (=

Reactions: dragonfly

Endtime

Oct 18, 2012
Here is my two cents worth:

Don't ask God to make it stop. He gave you instructions and the authority to make it stop. He told you to take those thoughts captive. The thoughts of worthlessness and uselessness are not coming from Him, they are coming from the accuser--don't agree with him, agree with God.

Read Math 13:44 where the man finds a gem in the field and hides it and goes home and sells all that he has so he can buy the field and have that treasure forever. Only this time, read it keeping in mind that Jesus is the man and you are the gem. He treasures you that much!

Yea!! That treasure in the field is the Spirit of God. Ask God to replace you with Him.

Isaiah 64

6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousness are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away .

This is why we need to ask God for His riches that are savable.

rand

Sep 10, 2012
Hi Endtime,

I used to believe that I was supposed to go home and sell all that I had to gain the treasure, but then I realaized not long ago, that it was Christ who gave up everything to buy me. To buy you. He cherishes me so much more than I am capable of loving Him. He has given up everything to purchase me--what have I given up? What have I got to buy heaven with? Nothing. No, this parable is not about me buying heaven, it's about Christ cherishing me Now I know He loves me more than I love Him, and that I love Him becuase He first loved me. Like John also understands, I am the one that Jesus loves. Peter boasted in his love for Chrst, then denied Him, John boasted in Christ's love for him, and he went on to have the revelation of Jesus Christ (the book Revelation).

When you know how much you matter to the Father, nothing else seems to matter. Why be fearful? It actually makes you love people more, too. I used to feel bothered by other people--they were always in my way. Now, I love them and I have this passion to show them the truth, eventhough most reject it. I still love them, and for me, that's huge. But I could never give them that love before because I didn't know it and you can't give what you don't have.

I pray the Holy Spirit will show you enough love of the Father to make you seek for more of it and to be established in love so that you may know the love that passes understanding. It's awesome, man (Eph 3:17-18)

Axehead

May 9, 2012
It is so good to see brethren from all over the world reach out and encourage another brother in the Lord. That is the unity of the Spirit at work.

Tom_Is_Second

Sep 22, 2012
Thank you everyone for your prayers and sharing scripture! I've been doing much better over the past two weeks. On top of prayer and scripture reading, I noticed that when something great is about to happen (and only God knows), the devil attacks me as hard as possible. It happened VERY intensely before I got an unexpected promotion at work, then happened again before I found a home church, and finally before I started going out with this Christian girl.

I think the devil finally got exhausted with me and couldn't steal what God planned for me. As randomly as the attacks came, they just as randomly stopped.

But I don't think I'm quite done. Although the intense episodes of self-hatred are long gone, I am now fighting this subtle fear that I'm not good enough for this girl from work I'm seeing. We met a few months ago and finally when she was ready to, we started going out. I have fallen hard for her and its definitely become a courtship thing rather than just dating. Although she is the epitome of Christ's love, I sometimes think about my college days when my faith was in a fallout and I wonder if she will respect me less. I was surrounded by worldly company and bad influences. Although I never slept with anybody, did drugs, or did anything unforgivable, I rationalized giving in to lust like everyone around me and I viewed things I wish I didn't. I'll tell her one day, but she is just so perfect and Christ-like I sometimes don't feel like I'm good enough for her... then again maybe the devil is still at work and telling lies. I don't know.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I'm 24, I recommitted my life to God about 4 months ago and surrendered control of my life to Him. Since then, it's been blessing after blessing. 4 months into my new job at a Fortune 500 company, I get a promotion and my coworkers look up to me. I am no longer lonely and getting involved in a church and starting to make friends here in Dallas. Best of all, I have victoriously conquered some bad habits in my life that kept me in sin. I want to use everything I have to serve God.

The timing of everything is no coincidence. The devil is trying to take everything God gave me, and I'm praying to God to make it stop. I'm pushing through and trusting in Him because according the scriptures I know this all will end soon. I just feel like each day is being stolen from me when I should be celebrating. What else should I do? Should I seek Christian counseling? It's just so painful...

There are two and possibly three reasons why you are suffering.
1. temptation to sin - sin itself
2. assault of the enemy - to prevent from performing God's tasks
3. environment - spiritual infestation of the workplace

1. Sin. Spiritual warfare is a fascinating subject, but has common simple roots. One is lingering sin. Sins of the mind include fantasies. One's mind is not hidden from the spiritual world, though it may be from the physical (for a time). A man is tempted according to his lusts. The entry point to one's life for the power of sin is whatever that person loves of the self; sex, gambling, drink, drugs, etc. The sources are legion, but all must be confessed, given over to Christ and utterly destroyed. Cut off whatever causes you to sin. If its drink, then never drink again. If its sex, then never have sex again, and so on.

2. Assault - If a man walks in the path God has ordained for him, he can expect assaults from the enemy. Guilt is one big trick. It isn't of God. Guilt is meant to make you feel bad and nothing else. My mother in law was the queen of the guilt trip. She could lay one on you so fast you never saw it coming. Conviction of sin is from God and is meant to make you repent of wicked purpose. The guilt trip is used by control freaks. Conviction of sin is caused by the Holy Spirit and is used to inspire righteousness.

3. environment - One may encounter clusters of spiritual influences of wickedness in an environment polluted by people who have sustained it in their own lives. They literally bring it to work with them. Prayer, fasting and the testimony of the saints can conquer the environment.

NEVER attempt to engage the enemy directly. Give all to Christ and the battle will be His. Jesus is the captain and He alone possesses the knowledge, the will and the power to defeat the enemy. DO NOT attempt to do so yourself. This is extremely dangerous. The only safe course of action is an appeal to Christ directly.

but that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...