How to love difficult people?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe love is how we treat people, not how we feel about them:

No, "if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals upon his head." Romans 12:20 RSV
I think that love isn't only how we treat people, but goes deeper to the heart level. And this is why.

1 Corinthians 13:3
[3]And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

This seems to indicate that we can do good works for others and still not truly love them. I do believe that if we obey God and do good to those who hate us, pray for our enemies, etc ...then He will do the work in our hearts to remove hatred and bitterness, and pain/wounding. But even obeying God is rooted in love.

John 14:15, 21
[15]If ye love me, keep my commandments.
[21]He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Years ago, when I was in my twenties, I heard God say to me, "If your love is right, your life will be right." Ever since then, He has been teaching me more and more about love.

Edit: I believe it all goes back to "first love" ....relationship with God, knowing that He loves us, and responding by loving Him back. And this ties in with the two great commandments that Jesus gave: love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind ...and loving others as we love ourselves. Rooted and grounded in love.

Matthew 22:37-39
[37]
Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
[38]This is the first and great commandment.
[39]And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Last edited:

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The other day, I watched my elderly neighbor exhibiting love in action. And I believe it was from a place of love in his heart because I've talked with him and his wife.

We have a neighbor who is a brute, very hateful, and unkind and goes out of his way to harass my elderly neighbor (and me as well). Well, the other day, their teenage son drove his truck into my elderly neighbor's ditch. (If it wasn't for the ditch, he might have driven straight into my elderly neighbor's house.)

The kid was spinning his tires trying to get out of the ditch. My elderly neighbor came out and asked if he needed help. Then he went and got his truck and pulled the kid out of the ditch (despite that the neighbor/kid's parents were cussing and saying hateful things).

Afterward, I saw neither the kid not his dad say thank you. But the kid's mom went over and shook their hand and thanked them. Did that change the mean neighbor's behaviors? Not so much. Late that night (even up to midnight and beyond), they were back to blasting loud rock music and revving motors, etc.

Eventually, maybe showing them kindness and love will change their hearts and I hope we can all dwell in love.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that love isn't only how we treat people, but goes deeper to the heart level. And this is why.

1 Corinthians 13:3
[3]And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

This seems to indicate that we can do good works for others and still not truly love them. I do believe that if we obey God and do good to those who hate us, pray for our enemies, etc ...then He will do the work in our hearts to remove hatred and bitterness, and pain/wounding. But even obeying God is rooted in love.

John 14:15, 21
[15]If ye love me, keep my commandments.
[21]He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Years ago, when I was in my twenties, I heard God say to me, "If your love is right, your life will be right." Ever since then, He has been teaching me more and more about love.

Edit: I believe it all goes back to "first love" ....relationship with God, knowing that He loves us, and responding by loving Him back. And this ties in with the two great commandments that Jesus gave: love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind ...and loving others as we love ourselves. Rooted and grounded in love.

Matthew 22:37-39
[37]
Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
[38]This is the first and great commandment.
[39]And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
If someone comes to my door and kicks me in the shin every day, I don't think the Lord will fault me for being upset.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As believers Jesus said to love one another and by so doing others would know we are his disciple.
We are the testimony of Jesus,therefore we are the only word of God they see. Most everyone knows of God and his son,Jesus!
They know too those that profess.

We are COMMANDED to love our enemies.
Wonderful answers and examples are given here.

It is an impossibility thru our flesh but thru our spirit,allowing the Holy Spirit to display his FRUIT and the agape love we overcome sins that pull us away from God.( anger,hatred)

Kidness is like salt on a slug,it will eventually melt away or change the situation.RNFetchBlobTmp_rhcn4067jrhblq38kvncw.jpg RNFetchBlobTmp_rhcn4067jrhblq38kvncw.jpg

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 6:27-28
King James Version

27 But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,

28 Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.

This verse comes to mind.
Truer words were never spoken, God bless you and yours Wynona.