How to Test the Spirits?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
You asked me to post scripture, saying we can never fall away,
Incorrect-I have not asked you anything. That was your assertion.

1Jn 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
1Jn 4:2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
1Jn 4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
1Jn 4:4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.
1Jn 4:5 They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them.
1Jn 4:6 We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

believe not
*2Pe 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

Dt 13:1-5 [1] If there arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of dreams, and giveth thee a sign or a wonder, [2] And the sign or the wonder come to pass, whereof he spake unto thee, saying, Let us go after other gods, which thou hast not known, and let us serve them; [3] Thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams: for the LORD your God proveth you, to know whether ye love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul. [4] Ye shall walk after the LORD your God, and fear him, and keep his commandments, and obey his voice, and ye shall serve him, and cleave unto him. [5] And that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams, shall be put to death; because he hath spoken to turn you away from the LORD your God, which brought you out of the land of Egypt, and redeemed you out of the house of bondage, to thrust thee out of the way which the LORD thy God commanded thee to walk in. So shalt thou put the evil away from the midst of thee.

Pr 14:15 The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Je 5:31 The prophets prophesy falsely, and the priests bear rule by their means; and my people love to have it so: and what will ye do in the end thereof?

Je 29:8-9 [8] For thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; Let not your prophets and your diviners, that be in the midst of you, deceive you, neither hearken to your dreams which ye cause to be dreamed. [9] For they prophesy falsely unto you in my name: I have not sent them, saith the LORD.

Mt 7:15-16 [15] Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. [16] Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

Mt 24:4-5 [4] And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you. [5] For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

Ro 16:18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.

try
*1Th 5:21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

Lk 12:57 Yea, and why even of yourselves judge ye not what is right?

Ac 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Ro 16:19 For your obedience is come abroad unto all men. I am glad therefore on your behalf: but yet I would have you wise unto that which is good, and simple concerning evil.

1Co 14:29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.

Re 2:2 I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars:

many
*1Jn 2:18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

*2Pe 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

*2Jn 1:7 For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.

Mt 24:5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

Mt 24:23-26 [23] Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not. [24] For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. [25] Behold, I have told you before. [26] Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.

Mk 13:21 And then if any man shall say to you, Lo, here is Christ; or, lo, he is there; believe him not:

Lk 21:8 And he said, Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and the time draweth near: go ye not therefore after them.

Ac 20:29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.

1Ti 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

2Ti 3:13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.

gordon7

Mar 21, 2023
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Country
Ireland
You should study Isaiah 10.

In that Chapter, God using the title of "the Assyria" as a 'type' for Satan, like He did in the Isaiah 30:30-33, pointing to Tophet as a symbol for the future "lake of fire".

In Isaiah 10:5, God called the "Assyrian", "the rod of Mine anger".

What that means is, that God is USING Satan as a punishing rod. Satan doesn't have any power of his own, but only what power God allows him.

And in Isaiah 10, God gives the analogy that Satan is like God's punishing stick that when He is done with that stick, He will cast it into the fire.

What does that mean in regards to this present world?

It means God allows the evil in today's world, as it is simply a part of this temporary time. If one strays, He uses Satan and his host as a means to punish. Other than that, many of the calamities we go through is just a byproduct of this present 2nd world earth age...

1 Cor 10:13
13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, Who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.
KJV

In that Chapter, God using the title of "the Assyria" as a 'type' for Satan, like He did in the Isaiah 30:30-33, pointing to Tophet as a symbol for the future "lake of fire".

In Isaiah 10:5, God called the "Assyrian", "the rod of Mine anger".

What that means is, that God is USING Satan as a punishing rod. Satan doesn't have any power of his own, but only what power God allows him.

And in Isaiah 10, God gives the analogy that Satan is like God's punishing stick that when He is done with that stick, He will cast it into the fire.

I will testify about Isaiah for us all.

Firstly, the Lords will was to cut off all flattering tongues that speak PROUD THINGS. ( God set the poor from safety through this from those who puff at them/ saving the afflicted people, but bringing down high looks.)

The Lord performs HIs WHOLE WORK upon Zion and on Jerusalem. Punishing the wicked prince of Israel ( the prince of this world/satan) whose day was come, when INIQUITY HAD AN END., when satan was cast out as remembered in Revelation also/ the prince of this world JUDGED.)

The stout heart was punished, of the king of Assyria, the glory of his high looks, ( as satan cast down from on high)

For the Lord rise up to do HIs work, His strange work, and to BRING TO PASS, HIs act, HIs strange act.

For none to be mockers, ( their bands to be made strong/exaltation) as a consumption was determined upon the WHOLE EARTH.

Psalm 12:3 The Lord shall cut off all flattering lips, and the tongue that speaketh proud things:
4 Who have said, With our tongue will we prevail; our lips are our own: who is lord over us?
5 For the oppression of the poor, for the sighing of the needy, now will I arise, saith the Lord; I will set him in safety from him that puffeth at him.

Psalm 18:27 For thou wilt save the afflicted people; but wilt bring down high looks.

Isaiah 10:12 Wherefore it shall come to pass, that when the Lord hath performed his whole work upon mount Zion and on Jerusalem, I will punish the fruit of the stout heart of the king of Assyria, and the glory of his high looks.
13 For he saith, By the strength of my hand I have done it, and by my wisdom; for I am prudent: and I have removed the bounds of the people, and have robbed their treasures, and I have put down the inhabitants like a valiant man:

Isaiah 28:21 For the Lord shall rise up as in mount Perazim, he shall be wroth as in the valley of Gibeon, that he may do his work, his strange work; and bring to pass his act, his strange act.
22 Now therefore be ye not mockers, lest your bands be made strong: for I have heard from the Lord God of hosts a consumption, even determined upon the whole earth.

Ezekiel 21:25 And thou, profane wicked prince of Israel, whose day is come, when iniquity shall have an end,

John 12:31 Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out.

Revelation 12:10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Johann asked me to quote scripture...I asked him what it meant, to which I received no interpretation from him of what God’s word meant.

Therefore he isn’t understanding the scripture that I posted.

I asked him if he was Born Again, because you can’t test the false spirits if one isn’t Born Again of imperishable seed?

A Born Again can NEVER fall away because they have been Born Again of imperishable seed that liveth and abideth “ FOREVER “!!!....the Spirit abideth in our hearts/ spirit.

A Born Again is not under God’s wrath we’re under His Grace.
@Johann replied Quote Scriptures.

If one posts scripture, one must understand what it means in their spirit if they are Born Again.

Last edited:

gordon7

Mar 21, 2023
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Country
Ireland
@Johann asked me to quote scripture...I asked him what it meant, to which I received no interpretation from him of what God’s word meant.

I asked him if he was Born Again, because you can’t test the false spirits if one isn’t Born Again of imperishable seed?

The gospel of Jesus Christ is to cast out the exaltation of satan.

Here is who might believe in being born again:

Luke 9:48 And said unto them, Whosoever shall receive this child in my name receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me receiveth him that sent me: for he that is least among you all, the same shall be great.

Luke 14:7 And he put forth a parable to those which were bidden, when he marked how they chose out the chief rooms; saying unto them.
8 When thou art bidden of any man to a wedding, sit not down in the highest room; lest a more honourable man than thou be bidden of him;
9 And he that bade thee and him come and say to thee, Give this man place; and thou begin with shame to take the lowest room.
10 But when thou art bidden, go and sit down in the lowest room; that when he that bade thee cometh, he may say unto thee, Friend, go up higher: then shalt thou have worship in the presence of them that sit at meat with thee.
11 For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Matthew 18:3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 20:16 So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

Poor reading comprehension.

NASB (UPDATED TEXT: 4:1-6
1Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God; 3and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God; this is the spirit of the antichrist, of which you have heard that it is coming, and now it is already in the world. 4You are from God, little children, and have overcome them; because greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world. They are from the world; therefore they speak as from the world, and the world listens to them. 6We are from God; he who knows God listens to us; he who is not from God does not listen to us. By this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error.

4:1 "do not believe" This is a present imperative with a negative particle which usually means to stop an act already in process. The tendency of Christians is to accept strong personalities, logical arguments, or miraculous events as from God. Apparently the false teachers were claiming (1) to speak for God or (2) to have had a special revelation from God.

"every spirit" Spirit is used in the sense of a human person. See note at 1 John 4:6. This refers to a supposed message from God. Heresy comes from within the church (cf. 1 John 2:19). The false teachers were claiming to speak for God. John asserts that there are two spiritual sources, God or Satan, behind human speech and action.

"but test the spirits" This is a Present active imperative. This is both a spiritual gift (cf. 1 Cor. 12:10; 14:29) and a necessity for every believer, as are prayer, evangelism, and giving. This Greek word dokimazô has the connotation of "to test with a view toward approval." Believers must think the best of others unless the worst is proven (cf. 1 Cor. 13:4-7; 1 Thess. 5:20-21).

"because many false prophets have gone out into the world" This is a perfect active indicative (cf. Jer. 14:14; 23:21; 29:8; Matt. 7:15; 24:11,24; Acts 20:28-30; 2 Pet. 2:1; 1 John 2:18-19,24; 3:7; 2 John 7). The implication is that they have left the church (house churches), yet continue to claim that they speak for God.

4:2 "By this you know the Spirit of God" This grammatical form is either a present active indicative (a statement) or present active imperative (a command). This same ambiguity of form is in "abide," 2:27 and "know," 2:29. The Holy Spirit always magnifies Jesus (cf. John 14:26; 15:26; 16:13-15). This same test can be seen in Paul's writings in 1 Cor. 12:3.

"every spirit that confesses" This is a present active indicative which points to a continuing profession, not a past affirmation of faith. The Greek term "confess" is a compound from "the same" and "to speak," meaning "to say the same thing." This is a recurrent theme in 1 John (cf. 1 John 1:9; 2:23; 4:2-3; 4:15; John 9:22; 2 John 7). This term implies specific, public, vocal acknowledgment of one's affirmation of and commitment to the gospel of Jesus Christ.

"that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God" This is a perfect active participle. This is the essential doctrinal test for the false teachers (i.e., Gnostics) whom John was combating in this book. Its basic assertion is that Jesus is fully human (i.e., flesh, which the Gnostics denied) as well as fully God (cf. 1 John 1:1-4; 2 John 7; John 1:14; 1 Tim. 3:16). The perfect tense affirms that Jesus' humanity was not temporary, but permanent. This was not a minor issue. Jesus is truly one with humanity and one with God.

4:3 "every spirit that does not confess Jesus" It is theologically interesting that the old Latin version of the NT and the Patristic writers, Clement, Origen of Alexandria, Irenaeus, and Tertullian have leui (looses), which implies "separating Jesus," apparently into a human spirit and a separate divine spirit which so characterized second century Gnostic writings. But this is a textual addition which reflects the early church's life and death struggle with heresy (see Bart Erhart, The Orthodox Corruption of Scripture, pp. 125-135).

"the spirit of the antichrist" Here the term (cf. 1 John 2:18-25) is used as a denier of Christ, not an attempt to usurp His position.

"you have heard that it is coming, and now it is already in the world" This is a perfect active indicative which implies that John had earlier discussed this subject with them and that its relevance remained. In Greek the pronoun "it" matches the neuter "spirit." Like 2:18, this phrase reflects that the spirit of the antichrists has both already come and will come. These Gnostic false teachers form a chain of false information, false lifestyles, and false professions through the ages, from the evil one of Genesis 3 to the manifestation of the incarnation of evil and the end-time Antichrist (i.e., 2 Thessalonians 2; Revelation 13).

Adieu

gordon7

Mar 21, 2023
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Country
Ireland
Regarding edification people, what do you think it means to God for judgement day that you can have all faith and all knowledge, yet not have charity ?

KNOWLEDGE PUFFS UP ( EQUALS DESTRUCTION) CHARITY EDIFIES ( EQUALS HUMILITY AND BELIEF)..

1 Corinthians 8:1 Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth.

1 Corinthians 13:2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The gospel of Jesus Christ is to cast out the exaltation of satan.

Here is who might believe in being born again:

Luke 9:48 And said unto them, Whosoever shall receive this child in my name receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me receiveth him that sent me: for he that is least among you all, the same shall be great.

Luke 14:7 And he put forth a parable to those which were bidden, when he marked how they chose out the chief rooms; saying unto them.
8 When thou art bidden of any man to a wedding, sit not down in the highest room; lest a more honourable man than thou be bidden of him;
9 And he that bade thee and him come and say to thee, Give this man place; and thou begin with shame to take the lowest room.
10 But when thou art bidden, go and sit down in the lowest room; that when he that bade thee cometh, he may say unto thee, Friend, go up higher: then shalt thou have worship in the presence of them that sit at meat with thee.
11 For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Matthew 18:3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 20:16 So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen.
One believes in their spirit that they are Born Again as it’s a Living supernatural spiritual rebirth....only the Spirit of God can.....give birth to our spirit....Spirit gives birth to spirit.

That’s understood via the Spirit of God, who testifies with our spirit that we are Gods children.

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just as I thought. Nothing in the New Testament about us who have the spirit of Christ.

And after all, the OT isnt for us anyway, right? If it was, it would be in our Bible!

Is it in the NT or the OT that it says, God does not change? I need to be clear on that if God does change now. He must, right?

gordon7

Mar 21, 2023
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Country
Ireland

1Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God; 3and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God; this is the spirit of the antichrist, of which you have heard that it is coming, and now it is already in the world. 4You are from God, little children, and have overcome them; because greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world. They are from the world; therefore they speak as from the world, and the world listens to them. 6We are from God; he who knows God listens to us; he who is not from God does not listen to us. By this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error.

4:1 "do not believe" This is a present imperative with a negative particle which usually means to stop an act already in process. The tendency of Christians is to accept strong personalities, logical arguments, or miraculous events as from God. Apparently the false teachers were claiming (1) to speak for God or (2) to have had a special revelation from God.

"every spirit" Spirit is used in the sense of a human person. See note at 1 John 4:6. This refers to a supposed message from God. Heresy comes from within the church (cf. 1 John 2:19). The false teachers were claiming to speak for God. John asserts that there are two spiritual sources, God or Satan, behind human speech and action.

"but test the spirits" This is a Present active imperative. This is both a spiritual gift (cf. 1 Cor. 12:10; 14:29) and a necessity for every believer, as are prayer, evangelism, and giving. This Greek word dokimazô has the connotation of "to test with a view toward approval." Believers must think the best of others unless the worst is proven (cf. 1 Cor. 13:4-7; 1 Thess. 5:20-21).

"because many false prophets have gone out into the world" This is a perfect active indicative (cf. Jer. 14:14; 23:21; 29:8; Matt. 7:15; 24:11,24; Acts 20:28-30; 2 Pet. 2:1; 1 John 2:18-19,24; 3:7; 2 John 7). The implication is that they have left the church (house churches), yet continue to claim that they speak for God.

4:2 "By this you know the Spirit of God" This grammatical form is either a present active indicative (a statement) or present active imperative (a command). This same ambiguity of form is in "abide," 2:27 and "know," 2:29. The Holy Spirit always magnifies Jesus (cf. John 14:26; 15:26; 16:13-15). This same test can be seen in Paul's writings in 1 Cor. 12:3.

"every spirit that confesses" This is a present active indicative which points to a continuing profession, not a past affirmation of faith. The Greek term "confess" is a compound from "the same" and "to speak," meaning "to say the same thing." This is a recurrent theme in 1 John (cf. 1 John 1:9; 2:23; 4:2-3; 4:15; John 9:22; 2 John 7). This term implies specific, public, vocal acknowledgment of one's affirmation of and commitment to the gospel of Jesus Christ.

"that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God" This is a perfect active participle. This is the essential doctrinal test for the false teachers (i.e., Gnostics) whom John was combating in this book. Its basic assertion is that Jesus is fully human (i.e., flesh, which the Gnostics denied) as well as fully God (cf. 1 John 1:1-4; 2 John 7; John 1:14; 1 Tim. 3:16). The perfect tense affirms that Jesus' humanity was not temporary, but permanent. This was not a minor issue. Jesus is truly one with humanity and one with God.

4:3 "every spirit that does not confess Jesus" It is theologically interesting that the old Latin version of the NT and the Patristic writers, Clement, Origen of Alexandria, Irenaeus, and Tertullian have leui (looses), which implies "separating Jesus," apparently into a human spirit and a separate divine spirit which so characterized second century Gnostic writings. But this is a textual addition which reflects the early church's life and death struggle with heresy (see Bart Erhart, The Orthodox Corruption of Scripture, pp. 125-135).

"the spirit of the antichrist" Here the term (cf. 1 John 2:18-25) is used as a denier of Christ, not an attempt to usurp His position.

"you have heard that it is coming, and now it is already in the world" This is a perfect active indicative which implies that John had earlier discussed this subject with them and that its relevance remained. In Greek the pronoun "it" matches the neuter "spirit." Like 2:18, this phrase reflects that the spirit of the antichrists has both already come and will come. These Gnostic false teachers form a chain of false information, false lifestyles, and false professions through the ages, from the evil one of Genesis 3 to the manifestation of the incarnation of evil and the end-time Antichrist (i.e., 2 Thessalonians 2; Revelation 13).

Adieu
tinkling repetitive cymbal ?

1 Corinthians 13:Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Adieu
Not at all. Unfortunately you are imo unable to communicate in the Spirit only the human intellect...that is my opinion of you.

Therefore pointless in carrying on this discussion with you.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And after all, the OT isnt for us anyway, right? If it was, it would be in our Bible!

Is it in the NT or the OT that it says, God does not change? I need to be clear on that if God does change now. He must, right?
I do not know why we have so many Christians who believe the entire Bible is written directly to them, the Church of God. There is nothing in the Bible to indicate such thinking, and I would like to add nothing could be further from the truth. It's true the Word of God was written for everyone for all time, and it's for our learning because it contains what everyone should know. That does not mean every part of it is addressed to everyone in this time, because the subject matter was written either to the Jews, to the Gentiles, or to the Church of God (1 Corinthians 10:32).

To rightly understand the Word of God, one must understand what part is written to the Church of God and what part is written for the learning of the Church. Every word from Genesis 1:1, to Revelation 22:21, is written for our learning. However, not all of the words from Genesis 1:1, to Revelation 22:21, are addressed to us. We must learn to distinguish not only the various people, but also the different time periods God has spoken to if we want to understand the written Word of God. The time God spoke to the children of Israel is not the same time period He has spoken to us. The time He spoke to the prophets in the time of the Old Testament is not the same time period He spoke to His Son Jesus Christ in the time of the gospels.

gordon7

Mar 21, 2023
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Country
Ireland
One believes in their spirit that they are Born Again as it’s a Living supernatural spiritual rebirth....only the Spirit of God can.....give birth to our spirit....Spirit gives birth to spirit.

That’s understood via the Spirit of God, who testifies with our spirit that we are Gods children.
yes and also the little ones fear as told to do..

Matthew 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Romans 11:18 Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee.
19 Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be grafted in.
20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:
21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.
22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.

1 Peter 1:17 And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear:

Jude 1:12 These are spots in your feasts of charity, when they feast with you, feeding themselves without fear: clouds they are without water, carried about of winds; trees whose fruit withereth, without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots;

gordon7

Mar 21, 2023
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Country
Ireland
Not at all. Unfortunately you are imo unable to communicate in the Spirit only the human intellect...that is my opinion of you.

Therefore pointless in carrying on this discussion with you.
isnt that a little impatient and highminded:

2 Timothy 2:24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

gordon7

Mar 21, 2023
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Country
Ireland
also guys, the end of the world comes for precisely what the forums are, what you are happy to engage in: ( DEBATE, DECEIT)

Romans 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
isnt that a little impatient and highminded:
Not at all, I have known johann for over a year on this forum...he can never interpret scripture......therefore how can we have fellowship....sometimes we need to make ourselves vulnerable...there is much I don’t know, therefore I will ask questions...which can come across as silly questions....I don’t mind making myself look silly for Gods truth to be relayed to my heart/ spirit.
2 Timothy 2:24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

Last edited:

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not know why we have so many Christians who believe the entire Bible is written directly to them, the Church of God. There is nothing in the Bible to indicate such thinking, and I would like to add nothing could be further from the truth. It's true the Word of God was written for everyone for all time, and it's for our learning because it contains what everyone should know. That does not mean every part of it is addressed to everyone in this time, because the subject matter was written either to the Jews, to the Gentiles, or to the Church of God (1 Corinthians 10:32).

To rightly understand the Word of God, one must understand what part is written to the Church of God and what part is written for the learning of the Church. Every word from Genesis 1:1, to Revelation 22:21, is written for our learning. However, not all of the words from Genesis 1:1, to Revelation 22:21, are addressed to us. We must learn to distinguish not only the various people, but also the different time periods God has spoken to if we want to understand the written Word of God. The time God spoke to the children of Israel is not the same time period He has spoken to us. The time He spoke to the prophets in the time of the Old Testament is not the same time period He spoke to His Son Jesus Christ in the time of the gospels.

So you're one of those guys eh? Well I can see that we're not going to agree on it it, so...whatever.

Your assertion creates contradictions in scripture. Like God is no respecter of persons like is said in Acts 10

34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:.../KJV

So you said that, when God talked to people in the OT, He was talking to different people and not to us. So what do you do with this contradiction? There's more too...

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
And in my honest opinion they have made the wrong person a Staff member.
How can we communicate with each other if you don’t interpret or answer scripture that I post...it’s pointless, .......there is no fellowship without the interpretation of what we believe Gods word to be saying...sometimes we have to make ourselves vulnerable.......there is much I need to learn, but can only do so in Gods timings..I wish you well...

gordon7

Mar 21, 2023
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Country
Ireland
The purpose of Christ and giving HIs life is to save the meek, no meekness is in strife.

Pride is strife, Christ is meekness and PEACE..

Are we discussing Christianity, while opposing it...

Proverbs 17:19 He loveth transgression that loveth strife: and he that exalteth his gate seeketh destruction.

Proverbs 20:3 It is an honour for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will be meddling.

Proverbs 22:10 Cast out the scorner, and contention shall go out; yea, strife and reproach shall cease.

Proverbs 28:25 He that is of a proud heart stirreth up strife: but he that putteth his trust in the Lord shall be made fat.

1 Corinthians 3:3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?

2 Corinthians 12:20 For I fear, lest, when I come, I shall not find you such as I would, and that I shall be found unto you such as ye would not: lest there be debates, envyings, wraths, strifes, backbitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults:

Galatians 5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

Philippians 2:3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.

1 Timothy 6:3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;
4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,
5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

2 Timothy 2:23 But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.

James 3:14 But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth.

James 3:16 For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you're one of those guys eh? Well I can see that we're not going to agree on it it, so...whatever.

Your assertion creates contradictions in scripture. Like God is no respecter of persons like is said in Acts 10

34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:.../KJV

So you said that, when God talked to people in the OT, He was talking to different people and not to us. So what do you do with this contradiction? There's more too...
There's no contradiction. You cannot understand the Bible if you fail to understand to whom it is addressed. We will never understand the truth of God’s Word if we neglect to rightly divide the subject matter. As far as we are concerned in this Grace administration, what happened to Israel in the Old Testament was written for our learning. If we do not rightly divide to whom it's addressed—the Jew, Gentile, or the Church of God, we will use one truth to contradict another truth, and we will use what is true for one group in contrast to what is also true for another group.

These different administrations are suited to different times because God has spoken everything to its proper time and administration. We will never understand the truth of God’s Word if we read into one administration what God tells us belongs to another administration. If we believe what God said in one administration and carry it into another administration that was on a different principle, we will be taking what is true for one time, and using it to contradict what is also true for another time. When we mix them all together, by jumbling the whole Bible together: Law, Gospel, Grace, Judgment, Glory, Jew, Gentile, and the Church of God, we will be very confused in our understanding of the truth of God’s Word.

What is written directly to the Jews, belongs to and is for the Jews. What is written directly to the Gentiles, belongs to and is for the Gentiles. What is written directly to the Church of God, belongs to and is for the Church of God. What does God mean when He tells us that the visions shown to Isaiah was concerning Judah and Jerusalem? It was not addressed to us or written concerning us, but it was addressed to and concerning Judah and Jerusalem. It would be dishonest for the Church of God to interpret to the Church of God what God said concerns Israel.

The present administration of God is in the time period of the New Testament known as Grace. It deals with the new covenant, and it belongs to the time that is called the administration of the mystery. It's a period in time that was not made known to any one prior to this administration because God kept it a secret since the world began. From this our Grace administration, we learn God’s secret purpose that He had placed in Himself, according to the administration of Grace, which was first revealed to the apostle Paul.

gordon7

Mar 21, 2023
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Country
Ireland
Not at all, I have known johann for over a year on this forum...he can never interpret scripture...

Therefore there is no fellowship.
Here is how long to continue...

Matthew 18:22 Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.

Romans 2:4 Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?

Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

Ephesians 4:2 With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;

Colossians 1:11 Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;

Colossians 3:12 Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;

2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

2 Peter 3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;