How was Lot righteous?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
2 Peter 2:

7 and if he rescued righteous Lot, greatly distressed by the sensual conduct of the wicked
He disapproved of the behaviors of the Sodomites.

8 (for as that righteous man lived among them day after day, he was tormenting his righteous soul over their lawless deeds that he saw and heard).
Being a close relative of Abraham, Abraham likely told Lot about God.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

How was Lot righteous?​

He disapproved of the behaviors of the Sodomites.

6 So Lot went out to them through the doorway, shut the door behind him, 7 and said, “Please, my brethren, do not do so wickedly! 8 See now, I have two daughters who have not known a man; please, let me bring them out to you, and you may do to them as you wish; only do nothing to these men, since this is the reason they have come under the shadow of my roof.” (Genesis 19:8)​

By offering to let them rape his daughters instead?????

Last edited:
Reactions: MrNoir and O'Darby

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why is Lot alternately righteous and creepy?

He goes with Abraham on his journey... righteous.
He goes to live in Sodom... creep.
He shelters the angels that come to the city... righteous.
He tries to pimp out his daughters to the men who come to seize the angels... creep.
He flees the city... righteous.
He impregnates his two daughters... super creep.

And then the Bible blames... the daughters? They got him drunk so they could take advantage of him? That doesn't hold up at all. Drunkenness excuses nothing. And if the children do bad things, the parent is culpable anyway! What kind of crappy excuse was that?

Also, what IS the point of the story of Lot? There seems to be a moral story and an origin story mixed together. The thing that ties them together seems to be sexual perversion. Is the message just... the Moabites are a bunch of perverts?

Reactions: Lambano

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

How was Lot righteous?​

6 So Lot went out to them through the doorway, shut the door behind him, 7 and said, “Please, my brethren, do not do so wickedly! 8 See now, I have two daughters who have not known a man; please, let me bring them out to you, and you may do to them as you wish; only do nothing to these men, since this is the reason they have come under the shadow of my roof.” (Genesis 19:8)​

By offering to let them rape his daughters instead?????
That is a real issue...

Reactions: Lambano

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lot was righteous for the same reason we are righteous- we believe god and it is accounted us for righteousness.
Are we sure that Lot was accounted as righteous?

To put it another way, are you sure this isn't a cautionary tale?

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

To put it another way, are you sure this isn't a cautionary tale?

2 Peter ch2
For if God did not spare the angels who sinned, but cast them down to hell and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved for judgment; 5and did not spare the ancient world, but saved Noah, one of eight people, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood on the world of the ungodly; 6and turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah into ashes, condemned them to destruction, making them an example to those who afterward would live ungodly; 7and delivered righteous Lot, who was oppressed by the filthy conduct of the wicked 8(for that righteous man, dwelling among them, tormented his righteous soul from day to day by seeing and hearing their lawless deeds)— 9then the Lord knows how to deliver the godly out of temptations and to reserve the unjust under punishment for the day of judgment, 10and especially those who walk according to the flesh in the lust of uncleanness and despise authority. They are presumptuous, self-willed. They are not afraid to speak evil of dignitaries, 11whereas angels, who are greater in power and might, do not bring a reviling accusation against them before the Lord.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
2 Peter 2:7
"and if he rescued Lot, a righteous man, who was distressed by the depraved conduct of the lawless"

The visitation of the angels to warn Lot was also proof that he was righteous. If he were not, God would have killed him and his daughters with the rest of Sodom.

Jericho

Aug 10, 2023
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Living in Sodom had a negative influence on Lot and his family. Still, he was a follower of the one true God and that seemed to make up for his shortcomings.

Reactions: David in NJ

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Peter 2:7
"and if he rescued Lot, a righteous man, who was distressed by the depraved conduct of the lawless"

The visitation of the angels to warn Lot was also proof that he was righteous. If he were not, God would have killed him and his daughters with the rest of Sodom.
I guess that's pretty clear cut, but Lot does NOT come off as a 'good guy' on first reading.

His wife and daughters don't seem to have benefited from their time in Sodom, either. :E