How would you define what a seeker for truth is?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Could that be one who is striving to be like Jesus?

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:5

Or could it be a liar?

"There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God." Rom 3:11

Who is a liar? Or perhaps, who is not a liar?

"God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written,.." Rom 3:4

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@amadeus my brother it is good to see you still around friend.

I have a question for you, is there any evidence in the Bible that could counts of the cost of truth? Does truth come at a cost?

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
a disciple by definition. And Jesus calls all His followers to be His disciples. Its the Great Commission in Matthew 28- Go and make disciples- teaching them to obey all I have commanded you.

Matthew 28:19-20
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@amadeus my brother it is good to see you still around friend.

I have a question for you, is there any evidence in the Bible that could counts of the cost of truth? Does truth come at a cost?
How about everything we have... in exchange for Truth?

"Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again." Luke 6:38

Giving is the key here and it is not necessarily what we donate to an organized church, although that may be included. How much do we give? Jesus told a young rich man to give all of his riches to the poor, but is that much expected of us?

Look at Apostle Paul's words here:

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service." Romans 12:1

He is also, in effect, telling us to give our all, and even that is not anything special, but only a "reasonable" amount.

But... Luke 6:38 is expressing an exchange between us and God. We give something and He gives us something in return. So if we were to give all of our time to His service, we would not be left without. He would give us in "good measure", such good measure that in spite of apparently trying to diminish ourselves to nothing, we end with an overflowing abundance.

The verse [Luke 6:38] seems to say that God will give us an equal measure to the amount we give, but consider this: We are emptying our space [or attempting to, at least, in part] while He is refilling our space. Although our intentions might be good, what we have to start is, for the most part, garbage because our contents are based primarily, if not completely, on men's ways. When He refills that same space it is done in God's ways!

God compares His ways to man's ways in the following verse.

"For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts" Isaiah 55:9

The pressed down, shaken together part, I believe, means that when He refills us, He puts more (as well as better) back into the same space than we took out to give. Anyone who had ever poured wet concrete knows that within the form into which it is poured there will be considerable air spaces that will weaken the final product if not dealt with. What we do with the concrete is, in effect, to press it and shake so that it settles in the air spaces. God does something similar with us so that the nooks and crannies, which would weaken us are filled with what He gives us. Is not our willingness to be shaken also part of our cost?

Has anyone ever received a gift from God and then been shaken so hard that he thought he was going to fall backward away from God?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is interesting, for sure Amadeus. It seems here a give and take, as though giving ones life up for another, the others fulfilled the needs of the life in the other by the Holy Spirit/Spirit of Christ.

Here are some things Jesus himself had stated as far as cost.

“Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to his works.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭16:24-27‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

“He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭10:37-39‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

The cost seems as self-denial and putting what Jesus had stated first, and holding on the truths found with the use of the Bible, and the Holy Spirit/spirit of Christ above all other things.

Your thoughts?

Reactions: amadeus

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
a disciple by definition. And Jesus calls all His followers to be His disciples. Its the Great Commission in Matthew 28- Go and make disciples- teaching them to obey all I have commanded you.

Matthew 28:19-20
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

That was not really the question brother. The question is, How would you define what a seeker for truth is? Thank you for sharing though. :)

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That was not really the question brother. The question is, How would you define what a seeker for truth is? Thank you for sharing though. :)
A disciple . The definition is a learner . A learner seeks truth so is a follower of Christ . A disciple .

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh you're calling the truth seeker a disciple. That makes sense, someone who desires to learn the truth would follow Christ. I agree it does start will following Christ, and the cost for us is to put him in our lives daily, and commune with God every day.

It also relates to these scriptures here too:

The cost of being a Disciple.

“Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to his works.”

“He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it.”

The cost seems as self-denial and putting what Jesus had stated first, and holding on the truths found with the use of the Bible, and the Holy Spirit/spirit of Christ above all other things.

Your thoughts?

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus teaching on the cost of following Him.

Luke 14
Large crowds were traveling with Jesus, and turning to them he said: 26 “If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple. 27 And whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.

28 “Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won’t you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it? 29 For if you lay the foundation and are not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule you, 30 saying, ‘This person began to build and wasn’t able to finish.’

31 “Or suppose a king is about to go to war against another king. Won’t he first sit down and consider whether he is able with ten thousand men to oppose the one coming against him with twenty thousand? 32 If he is not able, he will send a delegation while the other is still a long way off and will ask for terms of peace. 33 In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples.

34 “Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? 35 It is fit neither for the soil nor for the manure pile; it is thrown out.

“Whoever has ears to hear, let them hear.

John 6- From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him.

Jesus made it difficult to follow Him , not easy . Taking up your cross ( means death ) to follow Him. Jesus demanded one must be ready and willing to give up their life and die for Him- which happened with the disciples and most of the early church who died as martyrs at the hands of Rome. Even Saul killed many Christians prior to a Damascus .

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@devin553344

Science is cool. I don’t have a problem with it, is there anything specifically you like about science is it the study of animals, study of humans? I remember really being intrigued with Space and the planets when I was younger. I was so awe struck by the pictures of the planets and things, it would blow my mind to look into a telescope and see Uranus. That is not a joke, or a pun, or a funny, that planet is wildly beautiful.

Reactions: dev553344

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is interesting, for sure Amadeus. It seems here a give and take, as though giving ones life up for another, the others fulfilled the needs of the life in the other by the Holy Spirit/Spirit of Christ.

Here are some things Jesus himself had stated as far as cost.

Your thoughts?
Consider an old question asked by many of others over the decades:
Can we ever outgive God?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@devin553344

Science is cool. I don’t have a problem with it, is there anything specifically you like about science is it the study of animals, study of humans? I remember really being intrigued with Space and the planets when I was younger. I was so awe struck by the pictures of the planets and things, it would blow my mind to look into a telescope and see Uranus. That is not a joke, or a pun, or a funny, that planet is wildly beautiful.
I like the study of physics. It really shows how powerful and glorious God is. I also like the study of lifeforms, it also shows how glorious God is.

Reactions: MatthewG

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
ahhhhhmmmm, those who check their change at the supermarket checkout o_O