HUMILITY CAN BE A VICIOUS CYCLE...IF YOU LET IT.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure about you all but, I think we all think we are pretty humble. Over the years, the evil one has played the flip-flop game inside my head because, when I had obeyed God in certain situations that require humility, it's not long at all before satan makes you proud of your humility...here is a little excerpt from C.S. Lewis's Screwtape Letters, I never forgot this passage of the book:

"The Patient is becoming humble. Screwtape counsels Wormwood to the Patient how humble he has become. This should fill the Patient with pride. If not, Wormwood should make the Patient think the desired end of humility is low self-esteem rather than a positive self-forgetfulness that allows him to better serve the Enemy."

It has gotten to the point where I can just laugh it off and be on my way but boy, back in the very beginning of my walk...I sure struggled with the humility issue! The "praise of men".

Anybody else here as humble enough as myself J?K!!! have anything to say on this subject?
Many of Gods blessings to you!
-nancy

Reactions: Helen and FHII

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure about you all but, I think we all think we are pretty humble. Over the years, the evil one has played the flip-flop game inside my head because, when I had obeyed God in certain situations that require humility, it's not long at all before satan makes you proud of your humility...here is a little excerpt from C.S. Lewis's Screwtape Letters, I never forgot this passage of the book:

"The Patient is becoming humble. Screwtape counsels Wormwood to the Patient how humble he has become. This should fill the Patient with pride. If not, Wormwood should make the Patient think the desired end of humility is low self-esteem rather than a positive self-forgetfulness that allows him to better serve the Enemy."

It has gotten to the point where I can just laugh it off and be on my way but boy, back in the very beginning of my walk...I sure struggled with the humility issue! The "praise of men".

Anybody else here as humble enough as myself J?K!!! have anything to say on this subject?
-nancy

To me(others may have a different perspective); humility comes with humiliation. It is not self appointed humiliation but happens when God opens a person’s sins for them to see. It happens when God brings their sin into the light of Jesus Christ. He reveals it. 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 [9] Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, [10] Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. [11] And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

“And such were some of you:”

John 3:19-21 [19] And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. [20] For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. [21] But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

Pride keeps men from coming to the light, that their deeds should be reproved. There is an humbling that takes place in the light of God’s countenance, that pride avoids.

Proverbs 11:1
[1] A false balance is abomination to the Lord : but a just weight is his delight.

Reactions: FHII and Nancy

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

-nancy

Being Humble is easy, showing Humility is the very Attribute Our Savior has Commanded us to do. Personally I try never to hurt anyone, or anger anyone, If I do I do not do it Intentionally and if I find that I have I do try to Reconcile before it blooms into an argument. It has always hurt me if I have offended anyone, because I know how it feels! Getting Prideful for trying to be Humble, never! if I can reconcile even if I had no intention of offending someone, I only feel peace, and maybe refreshed, nothing hanging over my head, so to speak!

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To me(others may have a different perspective); humility comes with humiliation. It is not self appointed humiliation but happens when God opens a person’s sins for them to see. It happens when God brings their sin into the light of Jesus Christ. He reveals it. 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 [9] Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, [10] Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. [11] And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

“And such were some of you:”

John 3:19-21 [19] And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. [20] For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. [21] But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

Pride keeps men from coming to the light, that their deeds should be reproved. There is an humbling that takes place in the light of God’s countenance, that pride avoids.

Proverbs 11:1
[1] A false balance is abomination to the Lord : but a just weight is his delight.

Absolutely, I agree!
I was basically speaking more to how satan uses his wiles in.
God bless.
-nancy

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Being Humble is easy, showing Humility is the very Attribute Our Savior has Commanded us to do. Personally I try never to hurt anyone, or anger anyone, If I do I do not do it Intentionally and if I find that I have I do try to Reconcile before it blooms into an argument. It has always hurt me if I have offended anyone, because I know how it feels! Getting Prideful for trying to be Humble, never! if I can reconcile even if I had no intention of offending someone, I only feel peace, and maybe refreshed, nothing hanging over my head, so to speak!

I agree with everything you say, and you are a very mature Christian...I hate controversy so I too will try to keep peace at all times! IMO, humility is tied to pride...indeed, pride is IMO just beneath the surface of every sin.
There is true humility and false humility, satan wants to take the humility that God graced us with and turn it into something selfish and ugly.
God bless!
-nancy

Reactions: Truth

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Screwtape counsels Wormwood to the Patient how humble he has become. This should fill the Patient with pride. If not, Wormwood should make the Patient think the desired end of humility is low self-esteem rather than a positive self-forgetfulness that allows him to better serve the Enemy."

If you'll notice, the enemy wants us to focus on ourselves one way or another. Either we are fantastic (pride) or we are worthless (low self-esteem).

The secret to humility is in taking our eyes off ourselves completely and placing them on Christ completely. Whatsoever good we do is only because "in Him we live and move, and have our being." Whatsoever bad we do, it should be no shock. We've simply moved from abiding in Christ back into our old sinful, soulish self. So we set our eyes back on Jesus, trusting that He will finish the good work He began in us, and bring us to the place where we abide in Him completely.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Haven't read The Screwtape Letters in years! CS Lewis is great!

There is a vile of false humility. I believe in being humble and humiliating the flesh. But being humble means realizing God is greater, and you are a sinner on equal grounds. Humiliating the flesh comes down to one thing: putting God's needs above yours. Rhe fkesh can have its seasons, but after the will of God.

What Screwtape was telling Wormwood is that there is a false humility. You become proud of being humble and submissive. You actually want someone to slap you on the cheek so you can turn the other.

It becomes a work because they boast of it. It plagues us now and it plagued Christians in the first 3 centuries.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you'll notice, the enemy wants us to focus on ourselves one way or another. Either we are fantastic (pride) or we are worthless (low self-esteem).

The secret to humility is in taking our eyes off ourselves completely and placing them on Christ completely. Whatsoever good we do is only because "in Him we live and move, and have our being." Whatsoever bad we do, it should be no shock. We've simply moved from abiding in Christ back into our old sinful, soulish self. So we set our eyes back on Jesus, trusting that He will finish the good work He began in us, and bring us to the place where we abide in Him completely.

Well written,
Yes, the enemy wants us to be more so to speak self conscious" rather than "Christ conscious"!

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

There is a vile of false humility. I believe in being humble and humiliating the flesh. But being humble means realizing God is greater, and you are a sinner on equal grounds. Humiliating the flesh comes down to one thing: putting God's needs above yours. Rhe fkesh can have its seasons, but after the will of God.

What Screwtape was telling Wormwood is that there is a false humility. You become proud of being humble and submissive. You actually want someone to slap you on the cheek so you can turn the other.

It becomes a work because they boast of it. It plagues us now and it plagued Christians in the first 3 centuries.

Exactly! I love C.C. as well...been years since I have read his books, decades!

"...putting God's needs above yours." Not to get all semantical or anything but, I don't see God needing anything from us or elsewhere

"and you are a sinner on equal grounds." Who are we on equal grounds with?

God bless!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"...putting God's needs above yours." Not to get all semantical or anything but, I don't see God needing anything from us or elsewhere

Desiring? Wanting? Requiring? That better?

God put forth a plan. He declared it from the beginning and tge children od God are involved. I suppose he couod scrap all those plans.... But I don't rhink he will.

"and you are a sinner on equal grounds." Who are we on equal grounds with?

Well... You, me, everyone on this board and every human ob this planet are sinners and need God's grace. James, Paul and Jesus all said that if we are guilty of one point of the law, we are guilty.

The whore on the street, the corrupt politician, and plain Jane are all sinners. That's equal ground.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Desiring? Wanting? Requiring? That better?

God put forth a plan. He declared it from the beginning and tge children od God are involved. I suppose he couod scrap all those plans.... But I don't rhink he will.

Well... You, me, everyone on this board and every human ob this planet are sinners and need God's grace. James, Paul and Jesus all said that if we are guilty of one point of the law, we are guilty.

The whore on the street, the corrupt politician, and plain Jane are all sinners. That's equal ground.

"Desiring? Wanting? Requiring? That better? " Yes, ty...lol.

"But being humble means realizing God is greater, and you are a sinner on equal grounds."
It's just the way I read it, I s'pose:)

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Excellent...very well said. And food for thought.....

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Humility is forced upon us. It's contrary to human nature to even act, let alone really be humble when you've got so many admirable traits that are panting to be revealed to a awed world..

Swallow your pride... It's non fattening

Praise is like perfume. It's OK to take a whiff but don't swallow it!

I remember meeting the directors of a school in Helena Arkansas. It was a school to train those wanting to work aboard river boats, dredge and barges. I was there on business with others. As we walked away the Lord spoke and said "go back and give those men a tract". In those days I always carried several gospel tracts with me. I turned, walked back and after a brief testimony I gave them each a tract. As I walked away I heard them laughing. I felt very vety small. That was a truly humbling experience. Being a fool is not a bad gig if it's for Christ. The world is foolish for itself.

Before Jesus xsme for me I was a thief, a liar, unfaithful you name it. It was the way things were where I grew up. If you didn't have something and had a chance to steal it you did. Friends went to prison and some died violent deaths. Some died young of alcoholism. We weren't humble. We were terrible.

After being saved and baptized with the Holy Spirit God spoke to me. I had a book I had liberated from the Little Rock Public library. "take it back" the spirit said. Driving up the city I parked, went in and walked up to the desk. "I want to return this book that I stole from the library". No fine, no rebuke. Just a, quiet thank you. That was humbling but liberating in a wonderful way. Every time you humble yourself at the direction of the Holy Spirit your heart soars for a bit.

In my shop one day I set eyes on some reloading parts I had swiped from a sporting goods emporium. I heard nothing but knew what I had to do.

Days later I walked into that store asking for the manager. "he's busy" the clerk replied.

"what's his name"? I inquired

"it's Mr Eichenbaum, that's him over there with a customer".

When he was free the clerk brought him over to me. Introducing myself I explained why I was there, including my testimony. I extended my hand but he refused to shake it.

We spoke awhile as he questioned me about my faith. Mr Daniel Eichenbaum was an orthodox jew. He was about forty and was the son of a partner in the large architectural engineering firm Erhard, Eichenbaum, Rausch and Blass. One of the largest firms of that type west of the Mississippi.

Daniel asked what denomination I was. I explained that Jesus came for me and I followed Him and not any denomination. Afterwards he extended his hsnd and told me he appreciated what I had done. I felt good when I left there and was truly humbled. I sent him a letter with many old testament scriptures that identified Jesus and their new testament fulfillments.

Daniel Eichenbaum later became a Christian and was chairman of the governor's prayer breakfast. Daniel is dead now but had experienced the changing power of Jesus Christ. One plants another waters but God grants the increase

SmartSelectImage_2018-07-10-04-54-10.png
When you see a scripture from the book of Matthew on the headstone of a Jew something tremendous happened in their life. Amen

James 4:10 KJVS
Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up

When a believer exhibits true humility wonderful things happen.

Only through being broken can humility seep, even flow out of the cracks.

Last edited:

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Humility is forced upon us. It's contrary to human nature to even act, let alone really be humble when you've got so many admirable traits that are panting to be revealed to a awed world..

Swallow your pride... It's non fattening

Praise is like perfume. It's OK to take a whiff but don't swallow it!

I remember meeting the directors of a school in Helena Arkansas. It was a school to train those wanting to work aboard river boats, dredge and barges. I was there on business with others. As we walked away the Lord spoke and said "go back and give those men a tract". In those days I always carried several gospel tracts with me. I turned, walked back and after a brief testimony I gave them each a tract. As I walked away I heard them laughing. I felt very vety small. That was a truly humbling experience. Being a fool is not a bad gig if it's for Christ. The world is foolish for itself.

Before Jesus xsme for me I was a thief, a liar, unfaithful you name it. It was the way things were where I grew up. If you didn't have something and had a chance to steal it you did. Friends went to prison and some died violent deaths. Some died young of alcoholism. We weren't humble. We were terrible.

After being saved and baptized with the Holy Spirit God spoke to me. I had a book I had liberated from the Little Rock Public library. "take it back" the spirit said. Driving up the city I parked, went in and walked up to the desk. "I want to return this book that I stole from the library". No fine, no rebuke. Just a, quiet thank you. That was humbling but liberating in a wonderful way. Every time you humble yourself at the direction of the Holy Spirit your heart soars for a bit.

In my shop one day I set eyes on some reloading parts I had swiped from a sporting goods emporium. I heard nothing but knew what I had to do.

Days later I walked into that store asking for the manager. "he's busy" the clerk replied.

"what's his name"? I inquired

"it's Mr Eichenbaum, that's him over there with a customer".

When he was free the clerk brought him over to me. Introducing myself I explained why I was there, including my testimony. I extended my hand but he refused to shake it.

We spoke awhile as he questioned me about my faith. Mr Daniel Eichenbaum was an orthodox jew. He was about forty and was the son of a partner in the large architectural engineering firm Erhard, Eichenbaum, Rausch and Blass. One of the largest firms of that type west of the Mississippi.

Daniel asked what denomination I was. I explained that Jesus came for me and I followed Him and not any denomination. Afterwards he extended his hsnd and told me he appreciated what I had done. I felt good when I left there and was truly humbled. I sent him a letter with many old testament scriptures that identified Jesus and their new testament fulfillments.

Daniel Eichenbaum later became a Christian and was chairman of the governor's prayer breakfast. Daniel is dead now but had experienced the changing power of Jesus Christ. One plants another waters but God grants the increase

View attachment 3033
When you see a scripture from the book of Matthew on the headstone of a Jew something tremendous happened in their life. Amen

James 4:10 KJVS
Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up

When a believer exhibits true humility wonderful things happen.

Only through being broken can humility seep, even flow out of the cracks.

Wonderful story! Thank you for sharing!