Humility Versus Pride

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What say you as to the definitions of these words and how the scriptures use them?

Are they opposites?
Related?

What does pride look like?
What does humility look like?

False pride and false humility?
True pride and true humility?

Humiliation?
Miserable?

Puffed up?

Reactions: MatthewG

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great question John. Because there are different senses of words, this could go in any number of different ways. Humility protects us from humiliation. Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it is thinking of yourself less. We should all be humble that God elected us.

At the very same time, we all ought to be proud in being children of God. Because our security comes from WHO we are are (children of) and not WHAT we do, we should not have excessive sense of self (that sense of pride).

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
The Father of Pride said...>"i will ascend my Throne above the Throne of God".

In these end times we find His owned saying...>"there are errors in the bible, you should lets us teach you the original Greek". (that is a virtually dead language, that you can't read).

Yet, there is no original Greek.....

See that?
So....Its a question of "who is the final authority" and the Devil has been trying to be that answer, ever since he originally corrected God's word by telling Eve....."come now Hath God said"..
And in Fact, God had..

The original bible corrector was on earth before Adam showed up to bow the knee.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What say you as to the definitions of these words and how the scriptures use them?

Are they opposites?
Related?

Humiliation?
Miserable?

Puffed up?
We are told pride is a sin (Mark 7:20-23). Does that mean we can't be proud of our accomplishments? I don't think so - I think it means we shouldn't boast of our accomplishments.

I think love is the same way. We don't have to like people who cause trouble for us, but we must treat them with love - at least, that's the way I look at it.

Reactions: JohnDB

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are told pride is a sin (Mark 7:20-23). Does that mean we can't be proud of our accomplishments? I don't think so - I think it means we shouldn't boast of our accomplishments.

I think love is the same way. We don't have to like people who cause trouble for us, but we must treat them with love - at least, that's the way I look at it.
I think that acknowledging that you have accomplishments falls under true humility.
Discounting those accomplishments would be false humility. Overstating or engrandising those accomplishments would be pride.

But I could be wrong

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Are they opposites?
Related?

Humiliation?
Miserable?

Puffed up?

Love words and how they can be used.

Reactions: JohnDB