I am having problems with my church

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SuzieQ9109

May 26, 2007
Since I was born, I was raised in the church of Christ. It is a lot different than any other denominations out there. For example, they think it is wrong to have instrumental music because it is not specifically mentioned in the NT. Personally, I find nothing wrong with instrumental music because if it was no longer necessary, Jesus would have told us so. I.E) Circumcision was necc. in OT but the disciples made it clear that it is no longer needed for salvation. If this be the case with instrumental music, wouldn't Jesus had said something???But what bothers me the most is the the so called "church of Christ" view of women. I know what the scriptures say about women in ministry and what the roles are etc. But I feel that my church takes this to the extreme. I.E) we have teen gatherings every month and before we eat we pray. The person leading the prayer always has to be a guy. Another example is my aunt. Every year, she spends hundreds of dollars on the kids for VBS supplies. I can honestly say that she spends more time preparing for VBS than any other member at my church. Despite all this, our church will not let her to be the organizer because she is a woman. Somehow, my church lets women teach children but in VBS, which is primarily for the children anyway, women can not lead. This is downright unjust and I am absolutely fed up with it. When I get my own car, I am going to try a different church. God willing, if I have a daughter, I want to raise her in a church where she will feel appreciated. Even at a young age, little girls realize when they are being discriminated against and I don't want mine to feel the way I did.I am thinking about trying the Lutheran church but does anyone have any suggestions??

Tama

Jun 7, 2007
(SuzieQ9109;13837)
Since I was born, I was raised in the church of Christ. It is a lot different than any other denominations out there. For example, they think it is wrong to have instrumental music because it is not specifically mentioned in the NT. Personally, I find nothing wrong with instrumental music because if it was no longer necessary, Jesus would have told us so. I.E) Circumcision was necc. in OT but the disciples made it clear that it is no longer needed for salvation. If this be the case with instrumental music, wouldn't Jesus had said something???But what bothers me the most is the the so called "church of Christ" view of women. I know what the scriptures say about women in ministry and what the roles are etc. But I feel that my church takes this to the extreme. I.E) we have teen gatherings every month and before we eat we pray. The person leading the prayer always has to be a guy. Another example is my aunt. Every year, she spends hundreds of dollars on the kids for VBS supplies. I can honestly say that she spends more time preparing for VBS than any other member at my church. Despite all this, our church will not let her to be the organizer because she is a woman. Somehow, my church lets women teach children but in VBS, which is primarily for the children anyway, women can not lead. This is downright unjust and I am absolutely fed up with it. When I get my own car, I am going to try a different church. God willing, if I have a daughter, I want to raise her in a church where she will feel appreciated. Even at a young age, little girls realize when they are being discriminated against and I don't want mine to feel the way I did.I am thinking about trying the Lutheran church but does anyone have any suggestions??
I think you should first tell yourself exactly what you want from God for your life. Then find a church that already has what you need. Find a church with good worship and prayer, find a church pastored by a spiritually driven man. Not structural, rule-driven church. Do you believe in gifts of the Holy Spirit?

SuzieQ9109

May 26, 2007
I do. But the Church of Christ believes that they no longer occur in today's times, which there is no scripture stating that these gifts only occur at a certain time.

Tama

Jun 7, 2007
(SuzieQ9109;13861)
I do. But the Church of Christ believes that they no longer occur in today's times, which there is no scripture stating that these gifts only occur at a certain time.
Suzie, I know there are many denominations and do's and dont's all around us. But what a christian person needs these days is LIFE, anointing, heart for God. Rules and guidelines of different denominations were easy to follow because they were established a long time ago (depends on denomination) when not many of our currect problems and issues were present. Our lifestyles, drive to succeed, be accepted, are caused by 'politically correct' culture promoting sin and making it easy to fall out of relationship with God. And scripture says that only 5 wise virgins were ready to meet the groom because they had enough oil which represents an anointing of a Holy Spirit. All thru out the Bible oil/fire meant Holy Spirit at works. So, that shows us that we need a ongoing anointing and ongoing Holy spirit action in our lifes. Ans whatever church can provide that for you is the church to be at! I go to non-denominational church called Free Chapel (in Gainsville GA) and it's like 40 miles away from my house, but if I fall in love with Jesus again and again and agin in that church - I will drive that 40 miles. If they encourage me not to sin even though it's all you see around you - then I will drive that 40 miles.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(SuzieQ9109;13837)
Suzyfinding a church/denomination is kinda of like finding mr./mrs right. What works for your parents may not work for you.all churches are run by men so subject to men's faults/thoughts some are terrific some are terrible the trick is to find one that you can live with its faults. And that is an individual decision. For example One church may not believe in dancing if your a dancer thats not acceptable if you don't dance you wouldn't care. There is no right denomination, but their are many wrong ones. So be cautious The thing is God says where ever two or more are gathered together in the worship of God you are in church. Church isnt a building or a certain denomination. Its comes down to how much fellowship you desire. If you have a small study group in your home its church, If you study with others on the web its church, Two friends studying scripture is church. You can do any of these while you look. or permanentlyIf you desire a large group you just have to keep looking till you find what fits your needs and as Tama says take some time to figure out what those needs are.

Faithful

Jul 13, 2007
(SuzieQ9109;13837)
Hi Suzie,The Lord said, John 4:19-24 (King James Version) 19.The woman saith unto him, Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet. 20.Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship. 21.Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father. 22.Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews. 23.But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. 24.God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.The power to worship God is within you and the word of God is the truth you require. You are already part of the body and church of Christ. What you need to do is search the word of the Lord.Joel 2:28 (King James Version) 28.And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:There is a place for all women in the service of the Lord, but the message of salvation should be shared by all Christians. I feel women are more vunerable and therefore men should speak to men about the gospel.I believe you will find the way the Lord has for you.In Proverbs 3:5-7 (King James Version) 5.Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6.In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. 7.Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.Just trust the Lord, he will keep his promise.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
The thing is God says where ever two or more are gathered together in the worship of God you are in church.
Along that line of thinking, I can relate with what Suzie is going thru. However, I would not try to worry if my needs are fulfilled, but if there is teaching and edification to equip one to live for the Lord.Our church just split away from a liberal denomination (we felt they were unbiblical) but in the process, all kinds of wounds opened up---- I don't feel right about my own pastor but I am working on getting the relationship better again (or I should say, the Lord is). Right now I find him somewhat double-minded and I don't know if he secretly believes in some of the liberal junk that our church broke away from or if he's just confused. I have to give it time.In the meantime, there is a woman who is also a friend of mine along with some of her friends that knows the Word well, and teaches our class. As a matter of fact, I used to teach that class and I handed it over to her. I don't just do something like that lightly.We agreed that "we" as a small group are the church. If things do go south and don't work out in the main church body, I won't go to another one--- the grass is never greener. Rather, I see a "home church" in the distant horizon like the early NT days. The Lord blessed me with a person that believes the way I do (besides my own blood brother). Ironically, she thought that she was the only one here in this township that believed the way she did. Funny how the Lord brought us together---- and now our small group is growing from her teaching.Furthermore, I found some more here on this forum that believe the way I do---- this is truly a blessing.

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
Hello Suzie,There is no mention that musical instruments were not used !Musical instruments were not part of the Law for righteousness so general wisdom applies:-"the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy" (1 Tim.6:17)They had musical instruments before the law and they are good !"And his brother's name was Jubal: he was the father of all such as handle the harp and organ." (Gen.4:21)"Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp" (Psalm 150:3)As for the gifts ceasing, 1 Cor. 13:8-12 speaks of 2 time periods, "now" and "then" . . . "then" we shall know, even and we are known, we shall see face to face, we are not at that point so we are still in the "now" period, so all the gifts and ministries remain.When Jesus returns it will be like the husband is with us so we will not need to use the telephone (tongues, prophecy, preaching) to speak to each other.I know a church in Athens that encourages the use of the various gifts (in an orderly way like 1 Cor. 14 details) if that's any use.