I Don't Focus On My Sins, Guilt and Shame destroys a Christian's Walk with God!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's interesting too that if you tell someone you forgive him when he wants you to allow him in the same situation as before. If someone stole money from me, I don't think he should say to me, "You don't really forgive me if you hide your money." He's trying to dictate things to me as if I was the guilty party. Why does he want to know where my money is? Over time, I may come to trust him again; but don't confuse trust with forgiveness.
Yes, one step at the time, one decision at the time. The scriptures and God will help with this if we are asking for help AND paying attention!

Notice that Jesus didn't say to forgive a person 490 times for the same thing. If someone comes back to me on second offense, I tell them something like this. I'd like to forgive you. I'd like everything to be right again between us; but you do know if you keep doing this, you're not really sorry, you're not really learning from your mistakes. My forgiving you won't help you." Also the first offense, I don't usually ask for any penance. On second offense, I want some evidence.

I find it interesting that the word "perfection" in Hebrew equals 490. I wonder if there's 490 ways to be imperfect? Probably so if not even more. If I can see someone improving again and again by learning from his mistakes by coming to me to discuss them, I don't mind him offending against me. That's probably better than offending against someone else and not learning from it. If I could help someone master 490 flaws, that would be a good thing.

If this is so, it is not surprising. My quick search on the Internet did not find it.

In my own experience I know that God has forgiven likely many more than the precise number, 490, which to me has long meant that there is a deeper meaning to the number than a mathematical quantity. As Moses only was allowed not even one rebellion and the children of Israel were allowed not even 10 we are each allowed up to that "perfect" amount for us. It all brings us back to Jesus' explanation if we can understand it:

"But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more." Luke 12:48

Reactions: Giuliano

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, one step at the time, one decision at the time. The scriptures and God will help with this if we are asking for help AND paying attention!

If this is so, it is not surprising. My quick search on the Internet did not find it.

In my own experience I know that God has forgiven likely many more than the precise number, 490, which to me has long meant that there is a deeper meaning to the number than a mathematical quantity. As Moses only was allowed not even one rebellion and the children of Israel were allowed not even 10 we are each allowed up to that "perfect" amount for us. It all brings us back to Jesus' explanation if we can understand it:

"But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more." Luke 12:48
I should have said "perfect" not "perfection". If you searched for perfection, maybe search engines didn't connect things.

There are two words for perfect in Hebrew. Actually it's almost the same word.

Strongs number 8549 tamim spelled TMIM
T=400
M=40
I=10
M=40
Total = 490

Strongs number 8535 tam spelled TM in Hebrew

T=400
M=40
Total =440

When I saw this, I noticed that the difference is 50, the number of Pentecost. Then I wondered which way Job was perfect -- in the 440 or 490 way? It's 440. There's no doubt in my mind that Job experienced Pentecost. Note too that Job's prayers for his children at the beginning didn't work. After Pentecost, he was told to pray for his friends. He made to 440 on his own steam so to speak, but the Holy Spirit added 50 at Pentecost to give him the perfection he needed.

I just found a site with an essay about it. I found out it says Bethlehem also equals 490. I checked it in a gematria counter, he's right.

https://www.fusionglobal.org/why-7-times-70/

490 is the numerical value of the biblical Hebrew word “tamim” which means to “complete,” “perfect,” or “finished.” A person who can’t forgive will always live an imperfect, and incomplete life that’s lacks a true understanding of the “finished” gracious work of the cross. 490 is also the value of the Hebrew phrase “Let your heart be perfect” (1 Kings 8:61). Forgiving helps to make us complete and is key to perfecting our heart.

But there are some even deeper connections. The word nativity and Bethlehem, the city where Messiah was born, both individually add up to 490. This makes perfect sense since Jesus was born to so that we might be forgiven. And forgiveness is associated with bread in the Lord’s Prayer, “Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespass as we forgive those who trespass against us” (Matt). We celebrate this forgiveness by partaking of the broken bread of Communion concerning which Jesus said, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me” (Luke 22:19). Just like a person can’t live without their daily bread, an individual can’t survive spiritually and relationally without forgiveness. All of us need to learn to forgive and to be forgiven.

I liked how he connected 490 with "our daily bread."

I also checked 1 Kings 8:61 with a gematria calculator. He's right about that too. The word used there is "shalem" or "shalom" meaning, as you know, whole or peace.

Reactions: Helen and amadeus
B

brakelite

I should have said "perfect" not "perfection". If you searched for perfection, maybe search engines didn't connect things.

There are two words for perfect in Hebrew. Actually it's almost the same word.

Strongs number 8549 tamim spelled TMIM
T=400
M=40
I=10
M=40
Total = 490

Strongs number 8535 tam spelled TM in Hebrew

T=400
M=40
Total =440

When I saw this, I noticed that the difference is 50, the number of Pentecost. Then I wondered which way Job was perfect -- in the 440 or 490 way? It's 440. There's no doubt in my mind that Job experienced Pentecost. Note too that Job's prayers for his children at the beginning didn't work. After Pentecost, he was told to pray for his friends. He made to 440 on his own steam so to speak, but the Holy Spirit added 50 at Pentecost to give him the perfection he needed.

I just found a site with an essay about it. I found out it says Bethlehem also equals 490. I checked it in a gematria counter, he's right.

https://www.fusionglobal.org/why-7-times-70/

490 is the numerical value of the biblical Hebrew word “tamim” which means to “complete,” “perfect,” or “finished.” A person who can’t forgive will always live an imperfect, and incomplete life that’s lacks a true understanding of the “finished” gracious work of the cross. 490 is also the value of the Hebrew phrase “Let your heart be perfect” (1 Kings 8:61). Forgiving helps to make us complete and is key to perfecting our heart.

But there are some even deeper connections. The word nativity and Bethlehem, the city where Messiah was born, both individually add up to 490. This makes perfect sense since Jesus was born to so that we might be forgiven. And forgiveness is associated with bread in the Lord’s Prayer, “Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespass as we forgive those who trespass against us” (Matt). We celebrate this forgiveness by partaking of the broken bread of Communion concerning which Jesus said, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me” (Luke 22:19). Just like a person can’t live without their daily bread, an individual can’t survive spiritually and relationally without forgiveness. All of us need to learn to forgive and to be forgiven.

I liked how he connected 490 with "our daily bread."

I also checked 1 Kings 8:61 with a gematria calculator. He's right about that too. The word used there is "shalem" or "shalom" meaning, as you know, whole or peace.
That is all very intriguing, but can lead down some weird paths. The powers that be that rule the world operate strictly on a numerology system, timing their moves precisely according to data, times, etc. However, there is an aspect it seems that is overlooked regarding the 490. God gave Israel 490 years to get things right before the Messiah came. 70 prophetic weeks. This was their probation. I think Jesus, when speaking to Peter, was intimating that we ought also be as forgiving and as patient with those that offend us as was God. But it doesn't suggest that there aren't any limits. And it takes a miracle of huge proportions for any of us to have the attitude of total assurance and trust for any person after being betrayed several times in the same area.. Like an habitual adulterer... Such as Israel was. But if Jesus can do it, so can we. He was no different from us.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is all very intriguing, but can lead down some weird paths. The powers that be that rule the world operate strictly on a numerology system, timing their moves precisely according to data, times, etc. However, there is an aspect it seems that is overlooked regarding the 490. God gave Israel 490 years to get things right before the Messiah came. 70 prophetic weeks. This was their probation. I think Jesus, when speaking to Peter, was intimating that we ought also be as forgiving and as patient with those that offend us as was God. But it doesn't suggest that there aren't any limits. And it takes a miracle of huge proportions for any of us to have the attitude of total assurance and trust for any person after being betrayed several times in the same area.. Like an habitual adulterer... Such as Israel was. But if Jesus can do it, so can we. He was no different from us.
Most people refuse to believe this; but Proverbs says "lovingkindess" is a sin in a people. I just checked various translations and they all got it wrong. Young's Literal comes closest but adds "offering":

Proverbs 14:34 Righteousness exalteth a nation, And the goodliness of peoples [is] a sin-offering.

King James and some others really mangle it:

KJV Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people.

It really reads, "Righteousness exalts a nation; but lovingkindess is a sin to any people."

How so? Well, justice without mercy is satanic. Mercy without justice is corrupt. There is a soft, good-feeling kind of "love" which by itself alone can corrupt others. Here you see the indulgent parents who never discipline their children. That "soft good-feeling" kind of love usually translated as "lovingkindness" is a virtue when we combine it with justice and care about how things will turn out; but by itself, it can corrode and corrupt. In a nation, it almost always will.

Life can be tough. The woman with a husband who cheats may love him. She wants to believe him when he gets caught and then tells her how sorry he is and how much he loves her. She loves him and wants to believe he loves her. She will likely be tempted to be too soft on him. How can she know for sure? I say it's better to err on the side of mercy and maybe believe him twice. If she keeps forgiving him, she is making him worse.

There is another factor too that seems to make parents too lax. They want their children around, want to feel their children love them; and they're afraid if they discipline them, their children might go away and they'd never see them again. That's selfishness at work. They don't really love their children; they want their children to love them. The wife who is "too forgiving" could also be doing that. She knows deep down he doesn't really care about her; and she figures other women wouldn't put up with him as much as she does, so he'll keep coming back to her if she tolerates his adultery. What's tragic about that is perhaps he could come to love her if she demanded more from him.

Reactions: Helen and brakelite

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Why would you want to do that? Remain continually sinning? Is Anyone promoting that? I'm certainly not!!

Much love!

"14 Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord."
Heb 12

"7 For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life."
1 Thess

"8 Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God."
Matt 5

The truth is without a pure heart we cannot see the simplicity of love and its importance.
Yesterday I saw a man in politics dismiss threats of murder and violence as "humbug"

What they meant was real danger and insane people were threatening damage and harm to others was being used to create a feeling of antagonism against the position this individual held. They did not see the hurt and harm another was actually expressing, and how they could help. All they could see was selfish ambition and their objective above any other consideration.

The priests and pharisees pictured in the good samaritan were doing the same.

On forums I have met people who would throw me into hell for believing in loving and forgiving others, while they claim God has forgiven and accepted them, because I do not look at theology the way they do. And when pushed a little further they did not believe Jesus was the King of our hearts, minds, emotions and strength. They were able to have God accept them as they are, forgive them of their failures and they can stay and live as they are, and no one should dare judge anything they are doing as wrong.

Nineveh was forgiven because they repented and changed their behaviour. Just saying the words is meaningless.

17 They keep saying to those who despise me, 'The LORD says: You will have peace.' And to all who follow the stubbornness of their hearts they say, 'No harm will come to you.'
18 But which of them has stood in the council of the LORD to see or to hear his word? Who has listened and heard his word?
19 See, the storm of the LORD will burst out in wrath, a whirlwind swirling down on the heads of the wicked.
Jer 23

Our words and our life need to match each other. Our hearts are the key and letting God purify us.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Thank you xx
I wish I could Express and explain my doubts , but I cannot really put it into words - I hear what you are saying, loud and clear- but something gets in the way of it reaching the inner part of me that just needs to know for sure- it's as if my soul is in need of that truth, if that makes sense xx
Hebrews 7.25 speaks of the continual intercession of the Lord Jesus for the believer. Very searching in its implications.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On forums I have met people who would throw me into hell for believing in loving and forgiving others, while they claim God has forgiven and accepted them, because I do not look at theology the way they do. And when pushed a little further they did not believe Jesus was the King of our hearts, minds, emotions and strength. They were able to have God accept them as they are, forgive them of their failures and they can stay and live as they are, and no one should dare judge anything they are doing as wrong.
you realize that's not me . . .

DoveSpirit05

Jul 19, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What? don't fill guilt and shame about ur sins!! well den u have a big problem sir, a true Christian should fill guilt and shame and be of a contrite heart about his/her sins dats the purpose of repentence!! feeling remorseful and turning from ur sins!!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But it appears for some belief is all one needs, because Jesus is our everything, and we can remain sinners continually sinning.

Then they have never had any true understanding of the Grace of God or the price paid.

Those who have "tasted and seen that He is good..." find it impossible to continue in sin. They cannot abide darkness. Light is where they are comfortable and belong.

Those who are continually torn between the two realms need deliverance.
Their understanding is still darkened.

When they stop feeding the black wolf it will die.
Many will fight that fight until the very end...but that is not the victory that Jesus purchased for us.

Reactions: marks and Giuliano

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I am at the stage of knowing that nothing in this world will make me completely happy, but I am not at the point of praying like a mad women yet - although I have been in ongoing conversation with the Lord internally over things for many years. I can claim so many more truths than I use to , but this whole issue of ' being loved ' seems beyond me at times - it breaks through from time to time - but the assurance is not a constant thing with me yet.
However reading what you and mark have said, gives me hope X
Rita

Rita , you are not alone.
I believe what you are yearning for is the constant "felt" presence of the Lord. But beloved, that is where faith comes in.
I was telling Nancy the other day on the phone that His felt Presence for me..vanished during this physical fight I am still in.
I find it hard to feel His presence while feeling attacks in my body...the body yells loudest. God is only a "still small voice", not loud enough for me right now.

You have bodily weariness because of your job...you have cares of life like your son and your dad to see to....If none of us had any distractions we would be very aware of God's presence with us, constantly.
But He has given us faith for these times.

When we cannot see His face, ( or feel His presence) then we MUST trust His heart. He's our Father, He hasn't changed opinions, we have.

Hugs Rita. The promise is,- "He that has begun a good thing in you will complete it in The Day of Jesus Christ." Not us, but Him!!

He says to you and me... " Let us go over to the other side.." He didn't say to them.." Lets go to the middle of the lake and sink.." LOL

You will not sink...you have the faith....this too shall pass...♥︎

Reactions: Butterfly and marks

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then they have never had any true understanding of the Grace of God or the price paid.

Those who have "tasted and seen that He is good..." find it impossible to continue in sin. They cannot abide darkness. Light is where they are comfortable and belong.

Those who are continually torn between the two realms need deliverance.
Their understanding is still darkened.

When they stop feeding the black wolf it will die.
Many will fight that fight until the very end...but that is not the victory that Jesus purchased for us.
I see it almost mathematically. If someone has 50% good and 50% evil urges, he's torn and divided. If he has even a slight advantage of 51% good to 49% evil, that inclines him more to the good in the future. If he reaches a certain point, perhaps 67% good to 33% evil, it becomes harder and harder to choose the evil. I think the more right choices we make, the easier it becomes to make right choices in the future.

I think the opposite is also true. It is very hard for someone like Pharaoh to choose the good. It's theoretically possible since even the worst sinner can change his ways; but the deeper someone sinks, the harder it is.

Reactions: marks and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I see it almost mathematically. If someone has 50% good and 50% evil urges, he's torn and divided. If he has even a slight advantage of 51% good to 49% evil, that inclines him more to the good in the future. If he reaches a certain point, perhaps 67% good to 33% evil, it becomes harder and harder to choose the evil. I think the more right choices we make, the easier it becomes to make right choices in the future.

I think the opposite is also true. It is very hard for someone like Pharaoh to choose the good. It's theoretically possible since even the worst sinner can change his ways; but the deeper someone sinks, the harder it is.

I believe this is were faith comes in. And it's time to say - " Lord I cant do this." The sooner we come to the realization that for us it is impossible (Israel had 4000 yrs of proof that man could not keep the commandments )

..then we will hear and understand that God says.. " Good, glad you now know that you can't, but Good News is..I can! "

Back in the 70's we used to hear the phrase - "Let go, and Let God."

If we could do it then Jesus would not have needed to come and die.
"For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God (did) sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh..."

Without knowing this, I would have given up on everything decades ago! :)

Reactions: marks and Giuliano

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Evil One uses this trick very well on Christians! Guilt and Shame. Trust me I know, he sucker punched me everyday for years, made me feel guilty and shameful, this caused discouragement in my life which took me even further from my walk with our Lord Jesus Christ.

But now, as a mature Christian, I can honestly say, I don't feel guilty or shame for any sin I have ever done, past, present or future. I'm enjoying the perfect line of communication I have with our Father, through Jesus Christ. When new Christians learn that Jesus loves them 100%, unconditionally, they will not feel guilt and shame. It's real, genuine freedom in Christ. This is the love and joy we feel in any situation that comes our way.

Ok then, now that you no longer focus on your sins and Satan has no power to make you feel guilty or shameful, what's your next move as a Christian?

Meditate on this truth everyday! These fruits are the true measure of a Christian. (Not how little they sin.)
Galatians 5: 22-23, But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

PS, as long as we are in these earthly bodies, we will never be completely immune to sin (until we get our glorified bodies or atleast go to be with him in spirit). However, this doesn't mean that we do not have the power to stay in perfect love and communication with our Father, in Jesus Christ.
I love coming back to this post! This is our liberty in Christ.

So many object as if we promote freedom to sin. But God knows the sin I may commit today, or tomorrow, or next week, yet He loves me the same today.

And tomorrow, and next week, His love never fails!

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think that's where the renewing of the mind comes in.

Much love!

Reactions: Giuliano

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe this is were faith comes in. And it's time to say - " Lord I cant do this." The sooner we come to the realization that for us it is impossible (Israel had 4000 yrs of proof that man could not keep the commandments )

..then we will hear and understand that God says.. " Good, glad you now know that you can't, but Good News is..I can! "

Back in the 70's we used to hear the phrase - "Let go, and Let God."

If we could do it then Jesus would not have needed to come and die.
"For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God (did) sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh..."

Without knowing this, I would have given up on everything decades ago! :)
Amen!

That was my turning point. As I sunk down into utter dependance, then it all became clear. Or, more became clear, I'll just say that.

Much love!

Reactions: Helen

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Focusing on God's love and forgiveness keeps us open to His grace and power. He always supplies us with His grace, but we leave it laying there untouched because we think we're disqualified because we commit sins. But it's that grace that that we stand, not because we do good works.

Looking at our sins is a catalog of works, but resting in Jesus' completed work is resting in faith. And the good works come as a product of our lives in Christ.

Much love!

B

Butterfly

Rita , you are not alone.
I believe what you are yearning for is the constant "felt" presence of the Lord. But beloved, that is where faith comes in.
I was telling Nancy the other day on the phone that His felt Presence for me..vanished during this physical fight I am still in.
I find it hard to feel His presence while feeling attacks in my body...the body yells loudest. God is only a "still small voice", not loud enough for me right now.

You have bodily weariness because of your job...you have cares of life like your son and your dad to see to....If none of us had any distractions we would be very aware of God's presence with us, constantly.
But He has given us faith for these times.

When we cannot see His face, ( or feel His presence) then we MUST trust His heart. He's our Father, He hasn't changed opinions, we have.

Hugs Rita. The promise is,- "He that has begun a good thing in you will complete it in The Day of Jesus Christ." Not us, but Him!!

He says to you and me... " Let us go over to the other side.." He didn't say to them.." Lets go to the middle of the lake and sink.." LOL

You will not sink...you have the faith....this too shall pass...♥︎
Nice to see a post from you Helen xx
You are right about the ' yearning ' xx
I am working through Gods promises, the one you mention about finishing what he started, that's a good one to reflect on - thanks for the reminder xxxxxx
Rita

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Nice to see a post from you Helen xx
You are right about the ' yearning ' xx
I am working through Gods promises, the one you mention about finishing what he started, that's a good one to reflect on - thanks for the reminder xxxxxx
Rita
I like Philippians 1.6:

"Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ" .