I Don't Think I Can Be a Christian Anymore

  • Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

    You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

PossibleThrowawayAccount

Active Member
Oct 1, 2022
176
122
43
33
Pittsburgh, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Male
I know very well that I am probably going to be met with criticism, blame and insults for posting this but it is something I need to talk about. I am also well aware that this is mainly a Protestant board and I did post this on a Catholic site, but I felt it was worth asking this on a place that is open to everyone of all the different branches of Christianity.

Not too long ago I used to be a devote Catholic. I had a small altar in my bedroom and prayed the rosary every night while tired and standing on sore feet (I cannot kneel due to a knee injury). I always stood by God no matter what hurdles life threw at me. I have been through domestic abuse, poverty, self esteem issues, being unable to find a life partner, and seeing every single dream I ever had destroyed.

Everything continued to stack up and to add to my problems I have found myself unemployable and without work for almost two months now. One person who interviewed me outright told me that I would never find stable work because of my employment history, accusing me of job hopping. To make matters worse my closest family members got jobs at that same place and I have to be constantly reminded of it. That was it for me. I felt like God hated me and I couldn't feel comfortable being a Catholic anymore, worshiping a God who disliked me so much that He would make a total loser. If I can be completely honest, I feel like every bad thing that has happened to me and all the humiliation is because of what God thinks about me. I think He hates me so He gave me a terrible life with no chance of happiness.

So I sought shelter in Hinduism. I'm not new to Hinduism, I have loved its mythology since I was a kid and if I can be completely honest, it did wonders for me. Knowing that the body I possess is not the real me made me feel better about my situation and the hurtful things people have said about me over the years. Everyone was attacking my ego, but not my true spiritual self. Hinduism also offers me a chance to become a totally new person. I can change my name and the way I look. I didn't leave out of anger but because I genuinely don't think I can hold onto my faith anymore and no matter how hard I tried to remain Christian, the feeling that God hates me keeps pushing me away.

For the first time in my life the things that hurt me did not seem to matter, but there was one fatal flaw. There is no evidence for it while the life, crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus is an indisputable fact with evidence to back it up. There are also modern miracles and apparitions that back it up. No matter how good Hinduism makes me feel, I can't pretend that there was no resurrection of Jesus or that Mary doesn't appear on earth from time to time, especially when there are photographs and videos that record the apparitions. I also cannot deny the miracles of the Eucharist. Despite how hated God makes me feel, I kind of miss Catholicism. I felt empty when I was packing away my altar supplies and I couldn't help but feel warm when I remembered my nightly worship hours.

Right now I don't know what to do. I feel like my only options are going back to Catholicisms where I would worship a God who hates me, or becoming a Hindu and accepting things I do not believe in.
 

Sel@h

Member
Oct 3, 2026
36
53
18
74
Louisiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Female
Precious person, beloved of the Lord—I read your heart in this post, and the first thing I want to tell you is that you are not a "loser." You are a survivor. You have endured abuse, poverty, and heartbreak, and the fact that you are still searching for truth and meaning is a testament to the strength God has placed within you, even when you feel He has abandoned you. God loves you so much.
 
  • Loveit!
Reactions: GRACE ambassador

Bob

Well-Known Member
Sep 23, 2023
969
913
93
Tucson, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank You for sharing.

The essence of the post seems to be “O woe is me, what an awful life I’ve been subjected to.“ There is not much testimony on efforts to love your neighbor or God. Christianity is about helping others, including sacrificing personal gain and even life.

Your retreat to Hinduism, a religion all about self (and family, at best), is consistent with what appears to be your view of Catholicism (again, based on what you wrote).

God does love you, and perhaps the difficulties thrown at you were to prepare you for another important task. You have spoken to us freely, so now, pray to Him honestly, openly, fervently. Ask for guidance, especially regarding activities for loving your neighbor.

Many blessings.
 
  • Praying
Reactions: GRACE ambassador

Serve your King!

New Member
Oct 5, 2026
6
4
3
26
AZ Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Male
I know very well that I am probably going to be met with criticism, blame and insults for posting this but it is something I need to talk about. I am also well aware that this is mainly a Protestant board and I did post this on a Catholic site, but I felt it was worth asking this on a place that is open to everyone of all the different branches of Christianity.

Not too long ago I used to be a devote Catholic. I had a small altar in my bedroom and prayed the rosary every night while tired and standing on sore feet (I cannot kneel due to a knee injury). I always stood by God no matter what hurdles life threw at me. I have been through domestic abuse, poverty, self esteem issues, being unable to find a life partner, and seeing every single dream I ever had destroyed.

Everything continued to stack up and to add to my problems I have found myself unemployable and without work for almost two months now. One person who interviewed me outright told me that I would never find stable work because of my employment history, accusing me of job hopping. To make matters worse my closest family members got jobs at that same place and I have to be constantly reminded of it. That was it for me. I felt like God hated me and I couldn't feel comfortable being a Catholic anymore, worshiping a God who disliked me so much that He would make a total loser. If I can be completely honest, I feel like every bad thing that has happened to me and all the humiliation is because of what God thinks about me. I think He hates me so He gave me a terrible life with no chance of happiness.

So I sought shelter in Hinduism. I'm not new to Hinduism, I have loved its mythology since I was a kid and if I can be completely honest, it did wonders for me. Knowing that the body I possess is not the real me made me feel better about my situation and the hurtful things people have said about me over the years. Everyone was attacking my ego, but not my true spiritual self. Hinduism also offers me a chance to become a totally new person. I can change my name and the way I look. I didn't leave out of anger but because I genuinely don't think I can hold onto my faith anymore and no matter how hard I tried to remain Christian, the feeling that God hates me keeps pushing me away.

For the first time in my life the things that hurt me did not seem to matter, but there was one fatal flaw. There is no evidence for it while the life, crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus is an indisputable fact with evidence to back it up. There are also modern miracles and apparitions that back it up. No matter how good Hinduism makes me feel, I can't pretend that there was no resurrection of Jesus or that Mary doesn't appear on earth from time to time, especially when there are photographs and videos that record the apparitions. I also cannot deny the miracles of the Eucharist. Despite how hated God makes me feel, I kind of miss Catholicism. I felt empty when I was packing away my altar supplies and I couldn't help but feel warm when I remembered my nightly worship hours.

Right now I don't know what to do. I feel like my only options are going back to Catholicisms where I would worship a God who hates me, or becoming a Hindu and accepting things I do not believe in.
Good news! You never were a Christian! Catholics are fine folks (I was one for 65 years), but not Christians!
The only Christians are those who have committed to a life following Jesus. The only path to the Father is through the Son. You want to run away from "religions" into Jesus' arms and ask him for salvation: NOT some failed human in a black robe hidden in a dark room.
For starters, throw away all the idols you had worshiped and begin reading and following the Bible. God has always loved you! When you ask the Lord for salvation your life will change in an instant, and you will find the Agape love you have missed in your explorations. If you end up in a church, only go to Bible centric Christian churches. Calvary churches are a fine place to start, but first listen to Bible loving Pastors like Jack Hibbs. May you be blessed!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sel@h

Sel@h

Member
Oct 3, 2026
36
53
18
74
Louisiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Female
@PossibleThrowawayAccount

The greatest evidence that God does not hate you is the Cross. God loved you so much that He took on human flesh, experienced betrayal, felt the crushing weight of loneliness, and endured physical torture and death—all for you.

Romans 5:8 tells us, "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Jesus didn't wait for you to have a perfect life to love you. He came so that in Him, you would have Life.

In John 3:16-17, we are reminded: “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.”
 

SavedInHim

Well-Known Member
Jan 10, 2023
712
687
93
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Male
I know very well that I am probably going to be met with criticism, blame and insults for posting this but it is something I need to talk about. I am also well aware that this is mainly a Protestant board and I did post this on a Catholic site, but I felt it was worth asking this on a place that is open to everyone of all the different branches of Christianity.

Not too long ago I used to be a devote Catholic. I had a small altar in my bedroom and prayed the rosary every night while tired and standing on sore feet (I cannot kneel due to a knee injury). I always stood by God no matter what hurdles life threw at me. I have been through domestic abuse, poverty, self esteem issues, being unable to find a life partner, and seeing every single dream I ever had destroyed.

Everything continued to stack up and to add to my problems I have found myself unemployable and without work for almost two months now. One person who interviewed me outright told me that I would never find stable work because of my employment history, accusing me of job hopping. To make matters worse my closest family members got jobs at that same place and I have to be constantly reminded of it. That was it for me. I felt like God hated me and I couldn't feel comfortable being a Catholic anymore, worshiping a God who disliked me so much that He would make a total loser. If I can be completely honest, I feel like every bad thing that has happened to me and all the humiliation is because of what God thinks about me. I think He hates me so He gave me a terrible life with no chance of happiness.

So I sought shelter in Hinduism. I'm not new to Hinduism, I have loved its mythology since I was a kid and if I can be completely honest, it did wonders for me. Knowing that the body I possess is not the real me made me feel better about my situation and the hurtful things people have said about me over the years. Everyone was attacking my ego, but not my true spiritual self. Hinduism also offers me a chance to become a totally new person. I can change my name and the way I look. I didn't leave out of anger but because I genuinely don't think I can hold onto my faith anymore and no matter how hard I tried to remain Christian, the feeling that God hates me keeps pushing me away.

For the first time in my life the things that hurt me did not seem to matter, but there was one fatal flaw. There is no evidence for it while the life, crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus is an indisputable fact with evidence to back it up. There are also modern miracles and apparitions that back it up. No matter how good Hinduism makes me feel, I can't pretend that there was no resurrection of Jesus or that Mary doesn't appear on earth from time to time, especially when there are photographs and videos that record the apparitions. I also cannot deny the miracles of the Eucharist. Despite how hated God makes me feel, I kind of miss Catholicism. I felt empty when I was packing away my altar supplies and I couldn't help but feel warm when I remembered my nightly worship hours.

Right now I don't know what to do. I feel like my only options are going back to Catholicisms where I would worship a God who hates me, or becoming a Hindu and accepting things I do not believe in.
You need to forget about religion and work on a close relationship with God and His Son. You can do this best by His word and prayer.

"Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you." Matthew 7:7

God is the one who gives peace, not religion.
 

LoveYeshua

Eagle
Staff member
Sep 25, 2024
2,049
1,299
113
Quebec
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Gender
Male
I know very well that I am probably going to be met with criticism, blame and insults for posting this but it is something I need to talk about. I am also well aware that this is mainly a Protestant board and I did post this on a Catholic site, but I felt it was worth asking this on a place that is open to everyone of all the different branches of Christianity.

Not too long ago I used to be a devote Catholic. I had a small altar in my bedroom and prayed the rosary every night while tired and standing on sore feet (I cannot kneel due to a knee injury). I always stood by God no matter what hurdles life threw at me. I have been through domestic abuse, poverty, self esteem issues, being unable to find a life partner, and seeing every single dream I ever had destroyed.

Everything continued to stack up and to add to my problems I have found myself unemployable and without work for almost two months now. One person who interviewed me outright told me that I would never find stable work because of my employment history, accusing me of job hopping. To make matters worse my closest family members got jobs at that same place and I have to be constantly reminded of it. That was it for me. I felt like God hated me and I couldn't feel comfortable being a Catholic anymore, worshiping a God who disliked me so much that He would make a total loser. If I can be completely honest, I feel like every bad thing that has happened to me and all the humiliation is because of what God thinks about me. I think He hates me so He gave me a terrible life with no chance of happiness.

So I sought shelter in Hinduism. I'm not new to Hinduism, I have loved its mythology since I was a kid and if I can be completely honest, it did wonders for me. Knowing that the body I possess is not the real me made me feel better about my situation and the hurtful things people have said about me over the years. Everyone was attacking my ego, but not my true spiritual self. Hinduism also offers me a chance to become a totally new person. I can change my name and the way I look. I didn't leave out of anger but because I genuinely don't think I can hold onto my faith anymore and no matter how hard I tried to remain Christian, the feeling that God hates me keeps pushing me away.

For the first time in my life the things that hurt me did not seem to matter, but there was one fatal flaw. There is no evidence for it while the life, crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus is an indisputable fact with evidence to back it up. There are also modern miracles and apparitions that back it up. No matter how good Hinduism makes me feel, I can't pretend that there was no resurrection of Jesus or that Mary doesn't appear on earth from time to time, especially when there are photographs and videos that record the apparitions. I also cannot deny the miracles of the Eucharist. Despite how hated God makes me feel, I kind of miss Catholicism. I felt empty when I was packing away my altar supplies and I couldn't help but feel warm when I remembered my nightly worship hours.

Right now I don't know what to do. I feel like my only options are going back to Catholicisms where I would worship a God who hates me, or becoming a Hindu and accepting things I do not believe in.
Why do you need to associate to a mainstream religion? Friend the bible is enough, I left the RCC myself. I have Christ and that is more than enough, no need to look further. Just follow Christ and your life will change forever.

I am nor far away if you need to discuss.

Blessings
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sel@h

GRACE ambassador

Well-Known Member
Mar 1, 2021
2,895
2,090
113
74
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Male
@PossibleThrowawayAccount, God Loves all who are:

Blind To His Truth:

“And they came to Jericho: and as He went out of Jericho with His disciples and a great number of
people, blind Bartimaeus, the son of Timaeus, sat by the highway side begging” (Mark 10:46). In the
Bible, physical blindness often represents spiritual blindness as well. Christ’s healing of the blind
during His earthly ministry illustrated a greater truth:

He is the Light of the world, the One Who delivers people from spiritual darkness and brings them
into the light of life. Outside of Christ, we are spiritually blind. We do not see the truth. We wander
through life lost and in darkness, unaware of the danger of eternal doom and damnation that lies
ahead. We all need Christ to open our spiritual eyes and deliver us from the power of darkness
(Col. 1:12-14).

Through faith in Him, we are brought into the light of salvation and delivered from the
“blackness of darkness for ever” ( Jude 1:13) in the eternal Lake of Fire. In Mark 10, our
Savior was on His way to Jerusalem and the Cross. He was being “obedient unto death,
even the death of the cross” (Phil. 2:8).

A blind beggar named Bartimaeus was sitting by the roadside near Jericho, on a common
route to Jerusalem. When he heard that Jesus was passing by, he cried out, “Jesus, Thou
Son of David, have mercy on me” (Mark 10:47). Although the crowd tried to silence him,
Bartimaeus cried out even more (v. 48). Hearing his cry, “Jesus stood still” (v. 49).

That stillness is a beautiful picture of God’s care. Cries for help and mercy elicit a response
from the Lord (Matt. 14:30-31; 15:25). God STOPS when we call out to Him in our need.
The Lord called for him and asked what he desired. Bartimaeus replied, “Lord, that I might
receive my sight” (Mark 10:51).

The Lord responded, “Go thy way; thy faith hath made thee whole.” “And immediately” (v. 52),
Bartimaeus went from blindness to sight, from darkness to light. We are all Bartimaeus. Like
him, we are spiritually blind and spiritual beggars in need of God’s mercy (Eph. 2:4; Titus 3:5).

However, when we trust that Christ died for our sins and rose again (1 Cor. 15:3-4), immediately
we go from blindness to sight, from darkness to light, and by faith we are made whole spiritually.
In the familiar words of Amazing Grace.

"I once was lost but now am found, / Was blind, but now I see.” (K Sadler)

'link'

Grace, Peace, Mercy, And Love!
 
  • Loveit!
Reactions: Sel@h

Angelina

Seer - eagle
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
47,102
32,078
113
Hawkes Bay
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Gender
Female
@PossibleThrowawayAccount

Hi Brother, Based on what you have posted, I think the real issue is what you have come to believe about God.

You seem to believe that since you have prayed, endured, followed your faith, and done everything you could to please God, your circumstances should have changed, but they haven't, so you have concluded that God must hate you.

We cannot earn God's love through religious practices, prayer, rituals, or our own efforts. Nor can we measure his love by whether our circumstances improve.

You cannot make your life right through your own striving. There are things only God can change. Our part is to seek him, trust him, and remain faithful to him even when we don't understand what he is doing or why things have not changed yet.

You know God is real. Then the answer isn't about choosing between Catholicism and Hinduism; it's about seeking God for yourself and allowing him to show you who he is.

You seem to think that unfavorable outcomes are a reflection of what God thinks of you. They are not.

Jesus said, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

You don't need to try harder to make God love you. You need to know him as your personal Lord and Savior. :Amen:
 

Debp

Mod - Encounter Team
Staff member
Encounter Team
Jul 5, 2020
14,432
17,244
113
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Female
@PossibleThrowawayAccount Like others have mentioned to you, you don't need "religion" (Catholicism, Hinduism)...you need Jesus Christ as your personal Savior. Read your Bible and pray to grow spiritually. Trust in the Lord, not rituals or idols. Find a good Bible teaching church....someone mentioned the Calvary churches. Baptist churches are also usually good.

Our faith in Jesus is very simple, don't make it complex.


1791254817361.png
 

Lambano

Well-Known Member
Jul 13, 2021
10,685
13,328
113
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Male
For the first time in my life the things that hurt me did not seem to matter, but there was one fatal flaw. There is no evidence for it while the life, crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus is an indisputable fact with evidence to back it up. There are also modern miracles and apparitions that back it up. No matter how good Hinduism makes me feel, I can't pretend that there was no resurrection of Jesus or that Mary doesn't appear on earth from time to time, especially when there are photographs and videos that record the apparitions. I also cannot deny the miracles of the Eucharist. Despite how hated God makes me feel, I kind of miss Catholicism. I felt empty when I was packing away my altar supplies and I couldn't help but feel warm when I remembered my nightly worship hours.
This would be a good place to start.

If you accept that Jesus was and is very much real, then the problem is how to get beyond the belief that God must hate you because your life is broken in so many ways. Maybe to see Jesus's crucifixion and resurrection as a reason for hope in a dark world. Maybe to see that through Christ, God knows what it's like to experience rejection, suffering, and death.

...

As a personal note, this is an important subject to me. My stepson was also convinced that God hated him because he was born with learning disabilities and constantly had to endure being called "retarded" by both his peers and by adults who should have known better; as a child, he endured both physical and verbal abuse from his natural father; later, he was molested by an adult at a church camp; and he ended up developing cancer and dying young. Convinced that God was laughing at his every humiliation, I watched him angrily shake his fist at God and curse and give Him the finger. He was broken, and it was my job to show him and tell him that God was a loving Father, not a cruel bully. I failed miserably. So, I don't know how to help you; I only know a bunch of theological arguments that don't work. But we can talk about it if you like.
 
Last edited:

quietthinker

Well-Known Member
May 4, 2018
16,176
9,834
113
Sunshine
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Gender
Male
I know very well that I am probably going to be met with criticism, blame and insults for posting this but it is something I need to talk about. I am also well aware that this is mainly a Protestant board and I did post this on a Catholic site, but I felt it was worth asking this on a place that is open to everyone of all the different branches of Christianity.

Not too long ago I used to be a devote Catholic. I had a small altar in my bedroom and prayed the rosary every night while tired and standing on sore feet (I cannot kneel due to a knee injury). I always stood by God no matter what hurdles life threw at me. I have been through domestic abuse, poverty, self esteem issues, being unable to find a life partner, and seeing every single dream I ever had destroyed.

Everything continued to stack up and to add to my problems I have found myself unemployable and without work for almost two months now. One person who interviewed me outright told me that I would never find stable work because of my employment history, accusing me of job hopping. To make matters worse my closest family members got jobs at that same place and I have to be constantly reminded of it. That was it for me. I felt like God hated me and I couldn't feel comfortable being a Catholic anymore, worshiping a God who disliked me so much that He would make a total loser. If I can be completely honest, I feel like every bad thing that has happened to me and all the humiliation is because of what God thinks about me. I think He hates me so He gave me a terrible life with no chance of happiness.

So I sought shelter in Hinduism. I'm not new to Hinduism, I have loved its mythology since I was a kid and if I can be completely honest, it did wonders for me. Knowing that the body I possess is not the real me made me feel better about my situation and the hurtful things people have said about me over the years. Everyone was attacking my ego, but not my true spiritual self. Hinduism also offers me a chance to become a totally new person. I can change my name and the way I look. I didn't leave out of anger but because I genuinely don't think I can hold onto my faith anymore and no matter how hard I tried to remain Christian, the feeling that God hates me keeps pushing me away.

For the first time in my life the things that hurt me did not seem to matter, but there was one fatal flaw. There is no evidence for it while the life, crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus is an indisputable fact with evidence to back it up. There are also modern miracles and apparitions that back it up. No matter how good Hinduism makes me feel, I can't pretend that there was no resurrection of Jesus or that Mary doesn't appear on earth from time to time, especially when there are photographs and videos that record the apparitions. I also cannot deny the miracles of the Eucharist. Despite how hated God makes me feel, I kind of miss Catholicism. I felt empty when I was packing away my altar supplies and I couldn't help but feel warm when I remembered my nightly worship hours.

Right now I don't know what to do. I feel like my only options are going back to Catholicisms where I would worship a God who hates me, or becoming a Hindu and accepting things I do not believe in.
It is clear that wherever you have been you haven't seen or understood the love of God. In fact what you have understood has resulted in your conclusion that God hates you.
If ever there was a travesty it's got to be the messages you've received from your religious mentors.
Have a look through the ReDiscovering God link at the bottom of my signature. I'm sure you'll find something that pique your interest or at least generate questions.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Bob and Sel@h

BreadOfLife

Well-Known Member
Jan 2, 2017
22,660
3,821
113
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Male
I know very well that I am probably going to be met with criticism, blame and insults for posting this but it is something I need to talk about. I am also well aware that this is mainly a Protestant board and I did post this on a Catholic site, but I felt it was worth asking this on a place that is open to everyone of all the different branches of Christianity.

Not too long ago I used to be a devote Catholic. I had a small altar in my bedroom and prayed the rosary every night while tired and standing on sore feet (I cannot kneel due to a knee injury). I always stood by God no matter what hurdles life threw at me. I have been through domestic abuse, poverty, self esteem issues, being unable to find a life partner, and seeing every single dream I ever had destroyed.

Everything continued to stack up and to add to my problems I have found myself unemployable and without work for almost two months now. One person who interviewed me outright told me that I would never find stable work because of my employment history, accusing me of job hopping. To make matters worse my closest family members got jobs at that same place and I have to be constantly reminded of it. That was it for me. I felt like God hated me and I couldn't feel comfortable being a Catholic anymore, worshiping a God who disliked me so much that He would make a total loser. If I can be completely honest, I feel like every bad thing that has happened to me and all the humiliation is because of what God thinks about me. I think He hates me so He gave me a terrible life with no chance of happiness.

So I sought shelter in Hinduism. I'm not new to Hinduism, I have loved its mythology since I was a kid and if I can be completely honest, it did wonders for me. Knowing that the body I possess is not the real me made me feel better about my situation and the hurtful things people have said about me over the years. Everyone was attacking my ego, but not my true spiritual self. Hinduism also offers me a chance to become a totally new person. I can change my name and the way I look. I didn't leave out of anger but because I genuinely don't think I can hold onto my faith anymore and no matter how hard I tried to remain Christian, the feeling that God hates me keeps pushing me away.

For the first time in my life the things that hurt me did not seem to matter, but there was one fatal flaw. There is no evidence for it while the life, crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus is an indisputable fact with evidence to back it up. There are also modern miracles and apparitions that back it up. No matter how good Hinduism makes me feel, I can't pretend that there was no resurrection of Jesus or that Mary doesn't appear on earth from time to time, especially when there are photographs and videos that record the apparitions. I also cannot deny the miracles of the Eucharist. Despite how hated God makes me feel, I kind of miss Catholicism. I felt empty when I was packing away my altar supplies and I couldn't help but feel warm when I remembered my nightly worship hours.

Right now I don't know what to do. I feel like my only options are going back to Catholicisms where I would worship a God who hates me, or becoming a Hindu and accepting things I do not believe in.
First of all – God does NOT hate you. God tests and disciplines those whom he loves

Heb. 12:5-6

And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons? “My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him. For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives.”

I would be more worried if I DIDN'T have hardships and suffering.

When you find yourself in times of distress – remember that this life is only a blip in the span of Eternity. We will ALL suffer here in this life. I have suffered MANY hardships as well, but my faith is in the Lord – not myself.

I am a lifelong Catholic who was NOT always devout in the past. Even after having come back to my faith for the last 30 years – I’ve had MORE than my share of hardships. Even more so than I did before I had came back.

In the last 7 years alone, I’ve been laid off multiple times, been diagnosed with kidney failure, been on dialysis, been hospitalized several times, lost part of my foot, suffered through financial hardships due to my illness, etc.

I consider myself blessed compared to what the Early Church went through. Nobody is cutting my head off, skinning me alive, crucifying me upside down, setting me on fire, running me through with spears, etc. They suffered and died for Christ – and their reward will be GREAT in heaven (Matt. 5:11-12).

Jesus Himself suffered more that ALL of the cumulative sufferings of EVERY person who ever live or WILL live. He suffered and died for YOU so that you would have the HOPE of salvation.

Leaving Jesus because you’ve fallen into despair is exactly what Satan wants you to do. Despair is a tool of the devil – NOT of Jesus.
His tools are faith, love, mercy and HOPE.

Cling to Him in these tough times – don’t abandon Him.
He has never abandoned YOU . . .


PS –
By the way, this isn’t a “Catholic” site. There are MANY here who hate Catholics.
Feel free to PM me any time you want to talk about the
Catholic faith . . ..
 

pwg_jonathan

New Member
Oct 6, 2026
14
9
3
26
San Leandro
www.pacewithgrace.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Male
@PossibleThrowawayAccount, thank you for trusting us with something this painful. Losing work, being reminded of it every day, and carrying the hurt of past abuse would wear anyone down, so it makes sense that you feel tired and unsure right now. I want to gently push back on one conclusion, though. Feeling that God hates you is not the same as knowing that He does.

"He will take great delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing." (Zephaniah 3:17)

"The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." (Psalm 34:18)

Before you make any big decision about your faith, please talk with someone you trust in person, like a pastor or counselor who knows your story. I would be glad to pray for you about your work, your family, and the peace you are looking for.
 

Jericho

Well-Known Member
Aug 10, 2023
1,022
1,099
113
51
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not a Catholic, so I can't speak to that. But I can say that God doesn't hate you. The problem is, we all live in a fallen world, and this life is full of problems and struggles because of it. Hinduism will not change that fact. All we can do is learn to be an overcomer. I spent years without a job or pretty much anything. I prayed and prayed and prayed. Things didn't change overnight; some of it took years, but it did change. I'm sure you have many needs, but it sounds like you have a defeatist mentality. If you change that, other things in your life will start changing.
 
Last edited:

Grailhunter

Well-Known Member
Jun 19, 2019
15,556
6,423
113
69
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Male
I know very well that I am probably going to be met with criticism, blame and insults for posting this but it is something I need to talk about. I am also well aware that this is mainly a Protestant board and I did post this on a Catholic site, but I felt it was worth asking this on a place that is open to everyone of all the different branches of Christianity.

Not too long ago I used to be a devote Catholic. I had a small altar in my bedroom and prayed the rosary every night while tired and standing on sore feet (I cannot kneel due to a knee injury). I always stood by God no matter what hurdles life threw at me. I have been through domestic abuse, poverty, self esteem issues, being unable to find a life partner, and seeing every single dream I ever had destroyed.

Everything continued to stack up and to add to my problems I have found myself unemployable and without work for almost two months now. One person who interviewed me outright told me that I would never find stable work because of my employment history, accusing me of job hopping. To make matters worse my closest family members got jobs at that same place and I have to be constantly reminded of it. That was it for me. I felt like God hated me and I couldn't feel comfortable being a Catholic anymore, worshiping a God who disliked me so much that He would make a total loser. If I can be completely honest, I feel like every bad thing that has happened to me and all the humiliation is because of what God thinks about me. I think He hates me so He gave me a terrible life with no chance of happiness.

So I sought shelter in Hinduism. I'm not new to Hinduism, I have loved its mythology since I was a kid and if I can be completely honest, it did wonders for me. Knowing that the body I possess is not the real me made me feel better about my situation and the hurtful things people have said about me over the years. Everyone was attacking my ego, but not my true spiritual self. Hinduism also offers me a chance to become a totally new person. I can change my name and the way I look. I didn't leave out of anger but because I genuinely don't think I can hold onto my faith anymore and no matter how hard I tried to remain Christian, the feeling that God hates me keeps pushing me away.

For the first time in my life the things that hurt me did not seem to matter, but there was one fatal flaw. There is no evidence for it while the life, crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus is an indisputable fact with evidence to back it up. There are also modern miracles and apparitions that back it up. No matter how good Hinduism makes me feel, I can't pretend that there was no resurrection of Jesus or that Mary doesn't appear on earth from time to time, especially when there are photographs and videos that record the apparitions. I also cannot deny the miracles of the Eucharist. Despite how hated God makes me feel, I kind of miss Catholicism. I felt empty when I was packing away my altar supplies and I couldn't help but feel warm when I remembered my nightly worship hours.

Right now I don't know what to do. I feel like my only options are going back to Catholicisms where I would worship a God who hates me, or becoming a Hindu and accepting things I do not believe in.

God bless your heart.....
Dear Lord, I pray for our brother in Christ. Bless his life and lift his spirits. Show him that sacred heart of Christ. Mother Mary embrace this brother and strengthen him. Amen.

Now I am sure you pray and you should be asking God what He wants you to do. Walk with Yeshua every day and talk it out with Him.