I don't want to be an Atheist

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Remagoen

Feb 20, 2008
(Thunder1;37833)
Hi Remagoen, you said you don't want to be an atheist. What would you like to be ?
I'm not exactly sure. I've been speaking with stlizzy lately and it seems like I might be better of being a non-believer after all.

stlizzy

Feb 6, 2008
(Remagoen;38433)
I'm not exactly sure. I've been speaking with stlizzy lately and it seems like I might be better of being a non-believer after all.
Hmm... I would not support the claim in the slightest that anyone is better off not believing in Christ, but as we have talked about many times before you have the luxury of free will to decide for yourself what you think is best for you.But let it be known that I have told the Truth of Jesus Christ and what His death means- and that I have not added to Scripture or promoted any way of knowing the Father or having eternal life except through the Awesome Sacrifice of Jesus Christ! All Praise be to God!

Thunder1

Dec 12, 2007
(Remagoen;38433)
And why did you decide that ?

Thunder1

Dec 12, 2007
Remageon, what is your hope? What do you think is your purpose in life ? What are your goals and dreams ?

Siskim

Jan 29, 2008
There is a Truth here that is so vivid, and it's comparable to me of the difference between the still, small voice and the loud ones of our human will or desire or pride. "Even" as one who has known a deep closeness to the Lord for years, including as much as daily evidence in my life of His presence and workings and answerings, I still notice hearing such a quiet voice inside that I have to stop all thinking and be quiet and listen intently, if I want to hear or capture what I am hearing, and it's like it's such a gentle voice that you have to have a gentleness yourself to hear it, so that if you for a second hoop and holler, it will vanish that quickly.To those who don't know yet, you don't usually hear God's voice with human ears; yet at the same time you do hear as if someone is saying something to you...we might see this sometimes as our conscience talking to us, but while conscience usually gives us a heavy feeling about something, God talking to you is more like hearing a message, and it can happen or get to be where you actaully hear (without ears) specific words or message of words...I have heard distinct words only a number of times that I recall well...One time was awakened in the morning by words in my head or heart? They were..."the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak." So clearly I heard them, almost as if someone was in the room talking to me...that they woke me up...I was surprised! It was during a great trial in my life and I knew the reason for the words was that I needed to get over the weakness of my body and get up and pray. Often God calls us to pray for a good or distinct reason...I did have one. Back to the point...the quiet voice vs the human voice or voices of the world...and in the same respect, God's will vs man's, which are 2 separate and often opposite things...because while the natural man receives not the things of God, as they are foolishness to him...what is so vivid here is this scripture....."Ever learning and never able to come to the knowledge of God"...and why? Because again, the natural man receives not the things of God, but only the spiritual man...And a spiritual man is one who God has given spiritual Life to...because before we are saved or born again or justified or redeemed, etc...we had no spiritual life! We were just carnal or natural or earthly, but when we accepted Christ and in essence died with him and are raised in new life, which God says I will remove the stony heart and put a new spirit within you...an actual transformation takes place which God performs...who says I have translated you from the kindgom of darkness into the kingdom of light...And in this translation into His Kingdom by the free justification we are given through Christ, we are given the very thing or the very "access" into the knowledge of God...as again Christ is our access to God....So then, did I say this yet...my recent continual thought? ...."Ever learning and never able to come to the knowledge of God"....what happens is man tries by his mortal knowledge to find, perceive, understand and again...find...the God who is his creator, but who he is in a state of complete spiritual separation from due to the Law of sin and death...so that it never has been and is not now any knowledge that man in his mortal state has access to that will allow him to find or know or comprehend God or basically what He is "really" saying...This really is the bottom line...so then the question today is...What are we doing or seeking? Are we just enjoying the discusion and debate which gives some kind of enjoyment to the mortal parts...or are we really, truly wanting to know God and comprehend and understand Him and His Truth and what he is saying....not from a human perspective which can never perceive Him, but from "His" perspective...which is the only way to know Him?While we still debate and discuss alot whether He is even real or not, yet we have gone to the length of rather admitting we believe, just for the fact that we spend so much effort and time in trying to understand Him and/or His word...check it out....We are keeping ourselves at the batter's plate...in the baby state..and going nowhere...because we can't first of all even decide if God is real, let alone get on with....receiving "Life!"...so that we can Begin to know Life and understand it...and comprehend this "Great Salvation" which even the Angels desire to look into...And this is not written with any offense, but encouragement only....to say this...that with as much enjoyment or entertainment that all this mindful discussion provides us all...which for the most is exisiting on the natural mortal plane, like perhaps the religious crowds that stood and debated and/or discussed religious doctrine and/or whether Christ was God or satan or right or wrong or in compliance with the law or not, etc...The far Greater joy and fullfillment, pleasure and "Life"....is in getting inside the Kingdom...where not only do the Truths or issues we discuss come to 'Life"...or come to perception or spiritual understanding...which they can only be known by spiritual understanding...and that only by having a spirit that has been made alive by God...It's only "in" God that we can even know Him, let alone perceive His words and heart and message...and to try to outside of Him is like the theif who tries to enter another way....other than the only way we have any access to God...which is through His Son, who alone provided man a way to be one with God....again.You see? We cannot and will not ever...ever...know enough knowledge to believe or to understand...the only thing an unsaved man has access to is Christ....if he will accept the sacrifice and gift of eternal life in Christ...then and only then will he have access to God...so to try to understand God any other way is to not understand at all...and some may argue this...yet it is His word, and it is true....because some will say to him in that did...Did not I do this and that marvelous work for you and He will say, Depart from me, I never knew you. And yet we thought we knew him.Many a man has come to the doors of his death and has seen how very serious and critical the issue of Christ is...which he did not and perhaps could not as a younger man who felt he had forever to live here...Most of us feel like we have lots of time....and what we do is Not be serious...like someone said in this or another post....we are not really, really, really serious...about finding God...We rather wander around the bush than get down to business...down to the Truth...which we will face sooner or later....but how about later...because I don't feel like it today?We Christians today in the modern day and modern gospel try to preach Grace to the sinner...in effort to show him how grand and marvelous this existence in Christ is....and it is indeed! But to us it is "with" all the pains and trials and fires and weights we are so daily encompassed with! If we only preach Grace will the sinner who comes to God bear well the weight of the Cross? ...which we bear with pateince and even joy? What? How can a person have joy in trials and fires and persecution?It's because of what we don't preach that is the reason "We" have stood and are still standing today....We know the weight of the Law! We know that it is too heavy for any man to bear or overcome....we know it sentencess us to Death! We know that there was no escape for us if we neglected this Great Salvation. We engage in these discussions with lost people while we oursleves would be utterly mortified to be unsaved today ourselves!!!We rather toy with the unsaved...and find delight for ourselves in the debate and discussion...while these people are lost and we know what that means! Don't be offended by me....I have done it much myself and admit myself that I am not always "Realizing" what a serious matter this is....so serious that again...I would be mortified to know I was not with the Life, deliverance, redemption, assurance...Salvation of God...."It's a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God,".....the Law is deadly....it will send us to hell...none of us can endure it or overcome it....will Christ make us unfree? No indeed...but he makes us Free! "Uphold me with thy Free Spirit"....Grace is for the humble...for the sick and poor and hurting....but the Law is what perfectly "converts" the soul....it's what strips a man of his pride and brings him to his knees...and if I can't find God...it's because my human pride is a wall keeping me from Surrender...from recognizing my need....He is not hard to find when we Recognize our need...and our need is present...but we don't always recognize it....the Law will help us to recognize it. Long, but with heart and hope for those who do not know the Savior...who is more easily found by the broken man who has lost all pride and recognizes his need for the Lord...whatever it takes to find Him is more than worth it.... love kim

Remagoen

Feb 20, 2008
First, an appology to Stlizzy. When I wrote that, I was in a rush and didn't phrase my words right. She didn't didn't say that in so many words, rather, she asked me a question along the lines to make sure that I was truly trying to find God. She phrased it in a way (I don't remember the exact wording) where I was able to actually think about it. As I thought about it, I refused to be dishonest with myself: I didn't honestly believe that my life would be any better by seeking Jesus or God, and I was only looking out of pure fear of going to hell.To me, doing something out of fear isn't living life, and I figure if I at least live my life honestly and intellectually, I have no reason to fear anything. God, I think you have proper inspiration to Mike Shinoda of Fort Minor in "Where'd you go?" I see no reason to change any of the lyrics for how I feel about you right now:
I want you to know it's a little ****ed up,That I'm stuck here waitin', no longer debatin',Tired of sittin' and hatin' and makin' these excuses,For why you're not around, and feeling so useless,It seems one thing has been true all along,You don't really know what you've got 'til it's gone,I guess I've had it with you and your career,When you come back I won't be here and you can sing it...
TO THE ADMINS!!!: For some reason, the cuss word up there wasn't bleeped out when I first posted this. I did that myself in editing it, but I figured you'd want to know about a glitch or something.
thunder1]And why did you decide that ?[/quote]I think what I said above answers this question.[quote=thunder1]Remageon said:
My hope is to lead an honest life, as I said above. My goals and dreams is to hopefully leave something behind for people to remember as my little mark on history. What exactly that is, I'm not sure about; I'm just floating along and letting the current take me until a stumble upon something. As for my purpose, do I need one? That's actually begging the question: Why do people "need a purpose"? I'm not going to go down that road, as I know where it leads. You're going to try to convince me that God has some magical deck of cards where he hands one card out to each baby prescribing a purpose in life. Maybe in not so many words, but yes, that. Remember: I don't believe in God, so why would I believe in that whole purpose argument?
Siskim;38489]There is a Truth here that is so vivid said:
I've never suffered from schizophrenia. Never once have I heard a voice besides my own in my head. And before you tell me, "The voices are there, you just need to listen"... Are you inside my head? Are you psychic? Then who are you to tell me what is going on in my mind?
Siskim;38489]And a spiritual man is one who God has given spiritual Life to...because before we are saved or born again or justified or redeemed said:
You're saying a lot there, Siskim. Got proof?
Siskim;38489]And in this translation into His Kingdom by the free justification we are given through Christ said:
This made no sense whatsoever.
Siskim;38489]This really is the bottom line...so then the question today is...What are we doing or seeking? Are we just enjoying the discusion and debate which gives some kind of enjoyment to the mortal parts...or are we really said:
See above.Though I must say, by standard Christian thought, how can you possible see things from his perspective if God is so much more complex than us? If you can see things from his perspective, how can there possibly be any doubt, even for a Christian?
Siskim;38489]While we still debate and discuss alot whether He is even real or not said:
So, by the simple act of debating about him, I believe?
Siskim;38489]We are keeping ourselves at the batter said:
How can I be insulted if I have no idea what you are trying to say. I can understand it no matter which way I look at it!
Siskim;38489]The far Greater joy and fullfillment said:
Finally' date=' something with a train of single thought!Soooo... In order to find him, I need to recognize need. In order to recognize need, I need to follow the Law. The Law is the rules that God created. So if God created the Law, I need to recognized need in order to see the Law because God created it.Did you know that circular logic works because circular logic works because circular logic works?
Siskim;38489' said:
Long, but with heart and hope for those who do not know the Savior...who is more easily found by the broken man who has lost all pride and recognizes his need for the Lord...whatever it takes to find Him is more than worth it.... love kim
Right...

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
Well, seeking God to get out of Hell is a good reason, yes. But there is a whole side that many people do not know. If you follow God, you'll have a meaning to life as apposed to the popular belief that we're only on the earth to reproduce and survive. God has a plan for you, and as you're carrying out the plan of God, you'll establish a relationship, and you'll find yourself relying on God. Your life will truly be blessed.Now here is my question to you. Set aside this life, which life would your life be better in Heaven, or Hell?You'll be praising God, spending your time with the God you love. The secrets of the universe will be constantly opened up to you. Eternity will be a paradise. That seems much better than being eternally separated from God.There is no reason to fear God if you're a child of God. (Note: I'm using the same fear as being afraid. Not the Biblical fear.)

Maveric

Feb 26, 2008
(Remagoen;36831)
I'm an agnostic atheist. I know these words sound contradictory, but hear me out, please...My knowledge is limited; there is no way I can possibly know everything. I can search under a million rocks in the desert and there'll still be a billion more by the time I die. I can read all the biology books ever published, and I'll be missing all the chemistry books. There's simply not enough time, and certainly too many little bits of stuff out there. That said, I admit that there might be Yahweh, or a god or gods out there and I just haven't found that special stone yet, and therefore I'm agnostic. However, of all the stones and books I've looked under and through, I haven't found anything that proves to me there's God. And through that I'm an atheist--an agnostic atheist--because I've chosen to disbelieve from what evidence has been provided to me.I'll admit I might be wrong, just as I might be wrong that it really is pronounced to-mah-toe, not to-may-toe. I admit this. And because I admit this, I know the consequences are there if I make the wrong choice. Do I really cease to exist outside of a decaying, rotting body in the earth, or will I burn in Hell? I don't want to be wrong with this choice, and so I seek with an open mind. I'm here because I want to believe. I really do, but I can't. Either I can't wrap my head around the concept of God much like others can't understand quantum mechanics, or I see all the evidence in front of me and write them off as something else. I just don't see it.Nothing in life as really led me to how I am today. No grand event, no sorrowful death. I used to me Catholic, used to pray, but then I fell out of it as I never saw my prayers affect anything. While I remained a believer in Santa (He continued to give me presents, how could I doubt his existence?), God just felt like he wasn't there for me. I began to question things, and all the answers took me steps away from him. By the time I was in High School, I no longer cared about him, and told my mother I don't believe in him as she forced me through confirmation.At this point, I don't think I had any hint of an atheist in me. Sure, there might have been a god, but I couldn't exactly disprove him, so I did the immature "whatever" and moved on with my life...until I moved from Boston to Florida and was exposed to Christianity more than ever before. I felt like I had to make a stand and choose, not sit on a fence all day. I seeked people of all creeds and debated time and time again. Their words never brought me closer to God, only further away and into atheism. And so I'm here, continuing my search if I might be wrong.I would like to try something new this time though. In all the debates before, the Bible has always come up. I've read it, albeit not the whole thing, but a considerable chunk of it. In fact, the spine is in rather poor shape. When I've read the Bible, I found so many despicable things that whenever I hear someone quote it, it gives me shivers knowing that's from the same book with such evil. Would it be possible if someone can help me find Him outside the Bible? Perhaps under a certain stone without quotes?I'm trying to find him, and so I'm trying something new...
I notice how you have determined certain things to be evil. Have you asked yourself why? If evil exists, righteousness must also, or how would one determine what is evil? A standard has been set by which things are determined to be good or evil. One must ask who has set the standard, since it exists. May I suggest a resource outside of the Bible for you? If you haven't already, check out Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. I find it to be a wonderful case for the existence of God and the reliability of the Bible. God bless.
smile.gif

Remagoen

Feb 20, 2008
To Wakka,(Wakka;39468)
Well, seeking God to get out of Hell is a good reason, yes. But there is a whole side that many people do not know. If you follow God, you'll have a meaning to life as apposed to the popular belief that we're only on the earth to reproduce and survive. God has a plan for you, and as you're carrying out the plan of God, you'll establish a relationship, and you'll find yourself relying on God. Your life will truly be blessed.
You've made an assertion. Allow me to make one: The reason why it rains is because I did a rain dance. Believe me? Of course not. But why don't you believe me? Because I've given no proof.Stop asserting things and show me proof.(Wakka;39468)
Now here is my question to you. Set aside this life, which life would your life be better in Heaven, or Hell?
Hell. Reason: Because heaven wouldn't be all that glorious knowing I have friends and family or even people I've never met going through eternal pain. I'd never be able to smile with that knowledge.(Wakka;39468)
You'll be praising God, spending your time with the God you love. The secrets of the universe will be constantly opened up to you. Eternity will be a paradise. That seems much better than being eternally separated from God.
I wouldn't care about the secrets of the universe as my sister's skin slowly melted off her body and her bones vaporized by acid repeatedly forever. I would care about her and and think about how I could help her out of that; I would hate God for allowing such torment. So no, it doesn't sound much better, because I would rather my skin melt and my bones vaporize while I held hands with my sister.THAT is love, Wakka. Love is choosing to go to hell and endure eternal suffering to hold your sister's hand knowing you have a golden ticket to heaven in your back pocket.(Wakka;39468)
There is no reason to fear God if you're a child of God. (Note: I'm using the same fear as being afraid. Not the Biblical fear.)
Don't worry, I don't fear things that might not exist.By the way, please define "Biblical fear." I fail to see the difference between the two meanings of "fear."To Maveric,(Maveric)
I notice how you have determined certain things to be evil. Have you asked yourself why? If evil exists, righteousness must also, or how would one determine what is evil? A standard has been set by which things are determined to be good or evil. One must ask who has set the standard, since it exists.
One must ask? I'll allow you to ask it. ...I'll wait... ...Did you ask it? Yes? Good, let's delve in:I don't want you killing me. You don't want me killing you. We've just determined that killing is evil by those statements. Wow, seems like we are the ones who set the standard! And so forth it shall be known that the sense of Good and Evil did not come from a magic cupcake.Moving on...(Maveric)
May I suggest a resource outside of the Bible for you? If you haven't already, check out Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. I find it to be a wonderful case for the existence of God and the reliability of the Bible. God bless.
C. S. Lewis was a rather intellectual individual. He made some good points, many of which have been refuted or called into serious question.

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
(Remagoen;39488)
To Wakka,You've made an assertion. Allow me to make one: The reason why it rains is because I did a rain dance. Believe me? Of course not. But why don't you believe me? Because I've given no proof.Stop asserting things and show me proof.Hell. Reason: Because heaven wouldn't be all that glorious knowing I have friends and family or even people I've never met going through eternal pain. I'd never be able to smile with that knowledge.I wouldn't care about the secrets of the universe as my sister's skin slowly melted off her body and her bones vaporized by acid repeatedly forever. I would care about her and and think about how I could help her out of that; I would hate God for allowing such torment. So no, it doesn't sound much better, because I would rather my skin melt and my bones vaporize while I held hands with my sister.THAT is love, Wakka. Love is choosing to go to hell and endure eternal suffering to hold your sister's hand knowing you have a golden ticket to heaven in your back pocket.Don't worry, I don't fear things that might not exist.By the way, please define "Biblical fear." I fail to see the difference between the two meanings of "fear."
I'll pray for you.

Remagoen

Feb 20, 2008
(Wakka;39491)
I'll pray for you.
Whatever for? I seem to have a good thing going here with my logic. Why are you just going to pray instead of actually respond?

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
(Remagoen;39492)
Whatever for? I seem to have a good thing going here with my logic. Why are you just going to pray instead of actually respond?
I don't want to seem stubborn, but I'm going to pray for God to open your eyes. Why? Because I care about you.

kalixx

Nov 19, 2007
Hi Remagoen I am impressed with your tenacity here
smile.gif
. I also admire your frankness and single-mindedness. It speaks much of the sincerity behind your search. I would like to dig a little deeper into one of your last points: (Remagoen;39488)
I don't want you killing me. You don't want me killing you. We've just determined that killing is evil by those statements. Wow, seems like we are the ones who set the standard! And so forth it shall be known that the sense of Good and Evil did not come from a magic cupcake.
As an atheist I also had to address this issue of evil. But I could not come to the same conclusion as you have here. I do not see your example of murdering one another as defining "evil", rather, in atheist terms, it can surely only amount to defining a mutual agreement of what is in the best overall interests of the community within which we want to live. In other words, if we accept people freely murdering one another, then it would not be in my best interests either because it would destroy the social structure that provides me with an acceptable lifestyle and the possibilities to gain in the future what I want from life. It also provides protection for those that I care personally for (another feeling that you addressed in one posts). Why else would I give a hoot if someone else kills someone else, and neither of whom do I know personally? I.e. we have nothing more than an agreement purely based on perceived mutual benefit. However, this only applied within the closed environment of my community. If I look at it globally, our insistence on maintaining a standard of living way above that in many poor countries results in thousands of people dying daily from starvation. Directly or indirectly, I have contributed to their death. Is this evil? Or is it simply that their welfare is not my concern because they exist outside of the social structure that regulates my life? So I came to the conclusion that the atheist view does not provide an explanation of evil, it only defines the process of agreeing what is the best social structure that optimises (not maximises!) my personal situation. So then I had to ask myself, does this mean that evil does not actually exist? Is it purely a concept that exists solely within a religious context? And I had to accept that in spite of my own analysis, I do experience a sense of evil, that there are things that are intrinsically evil and disgusting. Now these things may well be, at least partially, the results of cultural upbringing and my familiarity and acceptance of my own social structure within which I live. But, on the other hand, I had to ponder could such intrinsic, subjective, feelings have some other source? Just one example: There are certain people who gain pleasure from inflicting severe pain on others, torture purely for its own sake. I do not just see this as socially unacceptable practice because it damages our "program for optimised mutual benefit". I have an intrinsic abhorrence of such behaviour - why? I just wondered if you have any thoughts on this.

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
(kalixx;39497)
smile.gif
. I also admire your frankness and single-mindedness. It speaks much of the sincerity behind your search. I would like to dig a little deeper into one of your last points: As an atheist I also had to address this issue of evil. But I could not come to the same conclusion as you have here. I do not see your example of murdering one another as defining "evil", rather, in atheist terms, it can surely only amount to defining a mutual agreement of what is in the best overall interests of the community within which we want to live. In other words, if we accept people freely murdering one another, then it would not be in my best interests either because it would destroy the social structure that provides me with an acceptable lifestyle and the possibilities to gain in the future what I want from life. It also provides protection for those that I care personally for (another feeling that you addressed in one posts). Why else would I give a hoot if someone else kills someone else, and neither of whom do I know personally? I.e. we have nothing more than an agreement purely based on perceived mutual benefit. However, this only applied within the closed environment of my community. If I look at it globally, our insistence on maintaining a standard of living way above that in many poor countries results in thousands of people dying daily from starvation. Directly or indirectly, I have contributed to their death. Is this evil? Or is it simply that their welfare is not my concern because they exist outside of the social structure that regulates my life? So I came to the conclusion that the atheist view does not provide an explanation of evil, it only defines the process of agreeing what is the best social structure that optimises (not maximises!) my personal situation. So then I had to ask myself, does this mean that evil does not actually exist? Is it purely a concept that exists solely within a religious context? And I had to accept that in spite of my own analysis, I do experience a sense of evil, that there are things that are intrinsically evil and disgusting. Now these things may well be, at least partially, the results of cultural upbringing and my familiarity and acceptance of my own social structure within which I live. But, on the other hand, I had to ponder could such intrinsic, subjective, feelings have some other source? Just one example: There are certain people who gain pleasure from inflicting severe pain on others, torture purely for its own sake. I do not just see this as socially unacceptable practice because it damages our "program for optimised mutual benefit". I have an intrinsic abhorrence of such behaviour - why? I just wondered if you have any thoughts on this.
How is that so? The only reason why you live above standard was because you and our forefathers were successful. It's not like having a job in the United States would starve someone from Cambodia. It might be me, but that statement was irrelevant.In my own opinion, and speaking on behalf of Christians, the knowledge of good and evil comes from our conscience. (Con = with, Science = Knowledge) God gave us a conscience to clearly depict what is good and what is bad. We obtained our conscience after Adam and Eve ate the forbidden fruit. He also gave us the ten commandments.

kalixx

Nov 19, 2007
(Wakka;39511)
How is that so? The only reason why you live above standard was because you and our forefathers were successful. It's not like having a job in the United States would starve someone from Cambodia. It might be me, but that statement was irrelevant.
Well, two reasons at least. Firstly, I think many of the developed countries are rich partly through taking unfair advantage of resources in under-developed countries. For example, using child labour, paying artificially low rates for raw materials (some growers of cocao beans have never even tasted chocolate). This has resulted in 10% of the world owning/consuming something like 80% of the worlds resources (these stats might be a bit off, but not by much). which leads to the second reason: that Christians are meant to help and give wherever they see need. Globally, however, there is something going wrong with this equation if the rich are increasingly suffering from obesity whilst others in their thousands are dying of hunger. Look ,for example, at the huge amount of money spent on Christmas which is meant to be a Christian celebration, but where the expenditure is mainly on gross pigging out and presents that many neither need nor want. So by turning my back on these people and not sharing even from my excess through organisations such as WFP, I am indirectly guilty of participating in their death - but this is only a personal opinion which I described as illustrative of my own inadequate search for the source of awareness of evil and good (from an atheist viewpoint).
In my own opinion, and speaking on behalf of Christians, the knowledge of good and evil comes from our conscience. (Con = with, Science = Knowledge) God gave us a conscience to clearly depict what is good and what is bad. We obtained our conscience after Adam and Eve ate the forbidden fruit. He also gave us the ten commandments.
Absolutely, I suspect that I fully agree with you, Wakka, that it (probably) comes from God. As I mentioned, my own analysis did not answer my recognition that I could sense evil and react against it - as I could vice versa with good. There was clearly "something else" here that I could not explain away through secular logic. It struck me as intensely naive to think that these powerful awarenesses are simply chemical reactions in a physical brain network (and that is before I start to think about other feelings like love, guilt, sorrow, compassion, empathy, hate, justice, etc). It is this suspicion that you are entirely right that keeps me in the Christian ball-park. I cannot do it on my own!

Maveric

Feb 26, 2008
I don't want you killing me. You don't want me killing you. We've just determined that killing is evil by those statements. Actually, we've just established that killing is not preferred by either of us. The question still remains, what is the basis upon which a thing is judged to be either good or evil?
smile.gif

Remagoen

Feb 20, 2008
To Kalixx,(kalixx;39497)
smile.gif
. I also admire your frankness and single-mindedness. It speaks much of the sincerity behind your search.
Thank you for the compliment! I try to be a rather thoughtful, open-minded person, and I think that I'm a bit of a writer helps with the tenacity. If you ramble too much in stories...Anyway... Thank you again. (kalixx;39497)
I would like to dig a little deeper into one of your last points: As an atheist I also had to address this issue of evil. But I could not come to the same conclusion as you have here. I do not see your example of murdering one another as defining "evil", rather, in atheist terms, it can surely only amount to defining a mutual agreement of what is in the best overall interests of the community within which we want to live. In other words, if we accept people freely murdering one another, then it would not be in my best interests either because it would destroy the social structure that provides me with an acceptable lifestyle and the possibilities to gain in the future what I want from life. It also provides protection for those that I care personally for (another feeling that you addressed in one posts). Why else would I give a hoot if someone else kills someone else, and neither of whom do I know personally? I.e. we have nothing more than an agreement purely based on perceived mutual benefit.
Let me expand on my original idea. At the very least, I do think that there is right and wrong. It's right to try to help your neighbors and it's wrong to try to hurt them for the same reasons why I listed above to Wakka. Would you agree with this? Stop reading here if not because the rest of my argument rests on that and just reply saying you don't agree.Now, using that premise, let's return to killing. That's wrong, very wrong. Is it necessarily evil? That's debatable, I guess, depending on whom you talk to. But let's take this a step further: If one of your neighbors kidnaps your daughter, binds her, rapes her, mutilates her, and kills her, is that "wrong"? No, I don't think so. Just like some people differentiate between "dislike" and "hate", there's a line, be it fine or not, which is drawn which makes his act evil.What Hitler did was evil, what Stalin did was evil, what Saddam did was evil. I guess, in a way, this is a game of semantics that I'm playing. I don't think evil is inherent in things, only that certain actions themselves are evil.As for everything else you say there, it makes perfect sense to me and I agree for the most part (aside of things not being evil). (kalixx;39497)
However, this only applied within the closed environment of my community. If I look at it globally, our insistence on maintaining a standard of living way above that in many poor countries results in thousands of people dying daily from starvation. Directly or indirectly, I have contributed to their death. Is this evil? Or is it simply that their welfare is not my concern because they exist outside of the social structure that regulates my life?
This whole topic here is really beyond me, but let me try to respond and play in my mind.If you think about it, your very existence is effecting the lives of people in India. Thanks to the Butterfly Effect, things you do today will have drastic effects the further in the future you go, with limited, but still very real effects in the present and absolute immediate future. Does this make you evil that your buying a cup of coffee this morning sent money to an owner of a coffee plantation, which allows other farmers to harvest coca plants, which promotes drug dealing, which brought drugs back to the US, which split a family apart, which killed a 12yo girl by accident. Te me, it's all circular. Things I do effect them, things they do effect me. I can't call it evil, especially if they aren't going anything intentionally. You're just trying to get something to drink, how is that evil? But...You have this knowledge of things you do effecting other people. What are you going to do about it? Take a stand like people who stand up against Global Warming, I think. Try to be procreative about it, instead of surrendering to the circle. (kalixx;39497)
So I came to the conclusion that the atheist view does not provide an explanation of evil, it only defines the process of agreeing what is the best social structure that optimises (not maximises!) my personal situation.
The atheist view can't provide any explanation other than "there is no god" just as the theist view only proclaims that "there is a god". The two words do nothing more than that. Now, of course, there are things under the theist banner like Christianity which does offer an explanation, just like there are things under the secular banner which offers something the same. (kalixx;39497)
So then I had to ask myself, does this mean that evil does not actually exist? Is it purely a concept that exists solely within a religious context? And I had to accept that in spite of my own analysis, I do experience a sense of evil, that there are things that are intrinsically evil and disgusting. Now these things may well be, at least partially, the results of cultural upbringing and my familiarity and acceptance of my own social structure within which I live. But, on the other hand, I had to ponder could such intrinsic, subjective, feelings have some other source?
Concept! I think that's the perfect word for what I think about evil. It's not a tangible idea, but there's a concept behind it which you could take a stand after enough thought.I disagree with things being intrinsically evil. Guns aren't evil, nor is the purpose behind them, but rather the intent behind them. For instance, if someone runs into my store obviously having a bomb vest on, I feel that (if I'm able to, of course) I must do something. First, I would seek to subdue the person or the bomb, but that might not be the case. If I don't think I could do that, I would have to stop them in a different way: Harm. Be it breaking a hand, arm, or neck, I would stop that person from blowing up innocent people. Is the intent behind me evil? It might be crude, I may never forgive myself for taking a life, but I intended to kill a bomber to save other people. So how would killing me intrinsically evil?(As an aside and not part of the argument, there's a gray area too. Is it good? I don't think so. Is it evil? No. So like love, like, dislike and hate, it wouldn't be part of the extremes, but somewhere in the middle.) (kalixx;39497)
Just one example: There are certain people who gain pleasure from inflicting severe pain on others, torture purely for its own sake. I do not just see this as socially unacceptable practice because it damages our "program for optimised mutual benefit". I have an intrinsic abhorrence of such behaviour - why?
First, I noticed that you said that you had an intrinsic abhorrence. Does this mean that it isn't the act doesn't have the evilness within it, but you who prescribe it to be evil. Hitler, Stalin and Saddam...do you really think they were evil people? I don't think so, but we called them evil because, to us, they did evil things.You asked why though, which is always a good question to ask. I think you answered it fairly well in the first point you made (first quote after the compliment) when you spoke of society.To Wakka,(Wakka)
God gave us a conscience to clearly depict what is good and what is bad.
You asserted this again when I went into detail in my previous post and this post about how ethics came from our understanding of the world around me. You have still not replied in any form of attempt to disprove or poke even a minute hole in my logic.EDIT: To Maverik,I took a REALLY long time to reply to the above, so I didn't see your reply.(Maverik)
Actually, we've just established that killing is not preferred by either of us. The question still remains, what is the basis upon which a thing is judged to be either good or evil?
You are correct. Kalixx caught me on that, and I expanded what I said to him specifically where I expanded on my idea.

Maveric

Feb 26, 2008
(Remagoen;39581)
To Kalixx,Thank you for the compliment! I try to be a rather thoughtful, open-minded person, and I think that I'm a bit of a writer helps with the tenacity. If you ramble too much in stories...Anyway... Thank you again. Let me expand on my original idea. At the very least, I do think that there is right and wrong. It's right to try to help your neighbors and it's wrong to try to hurt them for the same reasons why I listed above to Wakka. Would you agree with this? Stop reading here if not because the rest of my argument rests on that and just reply saying you don't agree.Now, using that premise, let's return to killing. That's wrong, very wrong. Is it necessarily evil? That's debatable, I guess, depending on whom you talk to. But let's take this a step further: If one of your neighbors kidnaps your daughter, binds her, rapes her, mutilates her, and kills her, is that "wrong"? No, I don't think so. Just like some people differentiate between "dislike" and "hate", there's a line, be it fine or not, which is drawn which makes his act evil.What Hitler did was evil, what Stalin did was evil, what Saddam did was evil. I guess, in a way, this is a game of semantics that I'm playing. I don't think evil is inherent in things, only that certain actions themselves are evil.As for everything else you say there, it makes perfect sense to me and I agree for the most part (aside of things not being evil). This whole topic here is really beyond me, but let me try to respond and play in my mind.If you think about it, your very existence is effecting the lives of people in India. Thanks to the Butterfly Effect, things you do today will have drastic effects the further in the future you go, with limited, but still very real effects in the present and absolute immediate future. Does this make you evil that your buying a cup of coffee this morning sent money to an owner of a coffee plantation, which allows other farmers to harvest coca plants, which promotes drug dealing, which brought drugs back to the US, which split a family apart, which killed a 12yo girl by accident. Te me, it's all circular. Things I do effect them, things they do effect me. I can't call it evil, especially if they aren't going anything intentionally. You're just trying to get something to drink, how is that evil? But...You have this knowledge of things you do effecting other people. What are you going to do about it? Take a stand like people who stand up against Global Warming, I think. Try to be procreative about it, instead of surrendering to the circle. The atheist view can't provide any explanation other than "there is no god" just as the theist view only proclaims that "there is a god". The two words do nothing more than that. Now, of course, there are things under the theist banner like Christianity which does offer an explanation, just like there are things under the secular banner which offers something the same. Concept! I think that's the perfect word for what I think about evil. It's not a tangible idea, but there's a concept behind it which you could take a stand after enough thought.I disagree with things being intrinsically evil. Guns aren't evil, nor is the purpose behind them, but rather the intent behind them. For instance, if someone runs into my store obviously having a bomb vest on, I feel that (if I'm able to, of course) I must do something. First, I would seek to subdue the person or the bomb, but that might not be the case. If I don't think I could do that, I would have to stop them in a different way: Harm. Be it breaking a hand, arm, or neck, I would stop that person from blowing up innocent people. Is the intent behind me evil? It might be crude, I may never forgive myself for taking a life, but I intended to kill a bomber to save other people. So how would killing me intrinsically evil?(As an aside and not part of the argument, there's a gray area too. Is it good? I don't think so. Is it evil? No. So like love, like, dislike and hate, it wouldn't be part of the extremes, but somewhere in the middle.) First, I noticed that you said that you had an intrinsic abhorrence. Does this mean that it isn't the act doesn't have the evilness within it, but you who prescribe it to be evil. Hitler, Stalin and Saddam...do you really think they were evil people? I don't think so, but we called them evil because, to us, they did evil things.You asked why though, which is always a good question to ask. I think you answered it fairly well in the first point you made (first quote after the compliment) when you spoke of society.To Wakka,You asserted this again when I went into detail in my previous post and this post about how ethics came from our understanding of the world around me. You have still not replied in any form of attempt to disprove or poke even a minute hole in my logic.
EDIT: To Maverik,I took a REALLY long time to reply to the above, so I didn't see your reply.You are correct. Kalixx caught me on that, and I expanded what I said to him specifically where I expanded on my idea.
My thinking on this is that because evil exists we know righteousness also exists. We also know that righteousness is not inherently found within humanity; our history bears this out. If righteousness isn't an inherently human trait, where does it originate? It must come from an intelligence apart from us. This standard of righteousness has to be unchanging or else evil can never be pinpointed as such.
smile.gif

Remagoen

Feb 20, 2008
(Maveric;39605)
My thinking on this is that because evil exists we know righteousness also exists. We also know that righteousness is not inherently found within humanity; our history bears this out. If righteousness isn't an inherently human trait, where does it originate? It must come from an intelligence apart from us. This standard of righteousness has to be unchanging or else evil can never be pinpointed as such.
smile.gif

I disagree. First, read carefully that I don't believe either is inherent. Second, just because one exists doesn't necessarily mean that the other does as well. Blue can indeed exist without green. Third, to respond to you about humanity not being "intrinsically evil" (I'm only playing along for this argument, I don't agree about it being natural either way), yes, we've done some despicable things. But are you going to ignore the grand successes and virtues we've done? Are you going to ignore how people can band together to help one another after Central Florida got hit by three back to back hurricanes?You seem to be doing two things: A.) You are asking loaded questions, or B.) You are being biased about human nature and only looking at the bad.Also, above, I detailed how goodness could indeed come from within our own minds from our own thoughts. You have not replied to it, and instead insist another idea. I don't mind if you insist, but you can't brush aside my argument expecting me to follow along without at least some kind of explaination.

Thunder1

Dec 12, 2007
Hi Remagoen ! I've missed a lot of conversations here, been out and about. How is your journey going ? And how've you been ?