"I have sinned against the Lord"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In 2 Samuel 7:16-17, Nathan the prophet came to David with some wonderful news. God had told Nathan that David's throne would be established forever through Christ. In other words, the Messiah would come through the lineage of David.

The next visit from Nathan the prophet would not be such a happy occasion (2 Sam. 12). Nathan tells David of a rich man who had many flocks and herds, and a poor man who only had one lamb. When a visitor came to the rich man, instead of taking from his herds a lamb to provide, he took the one lamb of the poor man. Nathan was reminding David of the sin he had committed in planning the murder of Uriah, and taking his wife, Bathsheba, as his own.

Then David became very angry and said, "as the Lord lives, this man shall surly be put to death." Then Nathan said, "you are the man." The instant David realized what He had done, knowing who it came from, he said, "I have sinned against the Lord."

This response revealed the heart of David. He first and foremost recognized that his sin was against God! It was not the punishment that was to come, but the injury done to God that came to mind. In Psalms 51, David shows us his true heart of repentance for his sins. This Psalm is believed to have been written shortly after this visit from Nathan the prophet.

"Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.

Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.

For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.

Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest."

David was broken over his sin. He pleaded for the atoning Blood of the Lamb which was foreshadowed in the sacrifice of the Law. He knew the Messiah would come and be that sacrifice for mans sin.

David is here acknowledging his sin before God, acknowledging that the Messiah would give His life for that sin. The Lord was very well pleased with David's repentance of sin in acknowledging the sacrifice of the coming Christ that would "wash, and cleanse his sin." David spoke many times in the Psalms of the atoning and sacrifice.

When God chose David to be the king over His chosen people, He sent Samuel the prophet to king Saul to tell him, "the Lord has sought Him a man after His own heart." David was that man after God's own heart.

David sinned many sins, but every time he realized that sin, he went to God in sorrow and repentance, acknowledging that sin and to be washed and cleansed from it.

So the next time someone tells you there is no need to repent over your sins, they are already under the blood, remember the man after God's own heart!