I Like This Man

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems to me that when someone starts parsing sins, the result is to self-justify.
Parsing means breaking something down into components. I’m the one who did that, I “parsed” sins. So you believe it’s me justifying myself. And you’re more than entitled to your opinion of me. However, you’re the one who keeps starting arguments all over the place about how you’re righteous and testifying about yourself that you’re righteous. I don’t say that about myself. So, quite literally, you are the one who self justifies and testifies about yourself.
It’s your same old tactic. Do something and say it’s someone else who did it.

Last edited:

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This subject is so confusing. To myself, all of them are missing the mark, which of course is "sin". I just cannot seem to separate them. @1stCenturyLady seems to have a handle on this, I just cannot seem to separate them.
And then, there is "trespasses"...

Willful sins based on our sin nature are what we were cleansed from initially, including the source of those willful sins, our SIN NATURE OF THE FLESH. Those are sins of lawlessness. Jesus took the desire to commit those type of sins away.

1 John 3:4-5
4 Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness.
5 And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin.

Those are sins unto death that were cleansed out of us. They are willful sins against the moral laws of the Ten Commandments, namely the last 6.

Revelation 21:8
8 But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”

Hebrews 10:26-31
26 For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries. 28 Anyone who has rejected Moses’ law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29 Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know Him who said, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” [a]says the Lord. And again, “The Lord will judge His people.” 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

1 John 5:16-18
16 If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which does not lead to death, he will ask, and He will give him life for those who commit sin not leading to death. There is sin leading to death. I do not say that he should pray about that. 17 All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin not leading to death. 18 We know that whoever is born of God does not sin; but he who has been born of God keeps himself, and the wicked one does not touch him.

Nancy, there is a false doctrine of demons running rampant in the Protestant Church that completely denies the finished work of Christ on this, and declares that "we will always have our sin nature" and why we are constantly in need a Savior. We HAVE a Savior! He abides in us, and we in Him. Satan wants us to reckon ourselves sinners, not free from sin.

Romans 6
6 knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin. 7 For he who has died has been freed from sin. 8 Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, 9 knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more. Death no longer has dominion over Him. 10 For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. 11 Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Trespasses:

Tresspasses are not against God's moral laws. They are immature fruit, and part of our human nature, not the old sin nature. Even when we are filled with the Spirit of Christ, that doesn't mean we are mature Christians, but God doesn't want us to stop growing. He prunes us.

1 John 1:7
7 But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.

2 Peter 1:5-9

5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Willful sins based on our sin nature are what we were cleansed from initially, including the source of those willful sins, our SIN NATURE OF THE FLESH. Those are sins of lawlessness. Jesus took the desire to commit those type of sins away.

1 John 3:4-5
4 Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness.
5 And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin.

Those are sins unto death that were cleansed out of us. They are willful sins against the moral laws of the Ten Commandments, namely the last 6.

Revelation 21:8
8 But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”

Hebrews 10:26-31
26 For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries. 28 Anyone who has rejected Moses’ law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29 Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know Him who said, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” [a]says the Lord. And again, “The Lord will judge His people.” 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

1 John 5:16-18
16 If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which does not lead to death, he will ask, and He will give him life for those who commit sin not leading to death. There is sin leading to death. I do not say that he should pray about that. 17 All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin not leading to death. 18 We know that whoever is born of God does not sin; but he who has been born of God keeps himself, and the wicked one does not touch him.

Nancy, there is a false doctrine of demons running rampant in the Protestant Church that completely denies the finished work of Christ on this, and declares that "we will always have our sin nature" and why we are constantly in need a Savior. We HAVE a Savior! He abides in us, and we in Him. Satan wants us to reckon ourselves sinners, not free from sin.

Romans 6
6 knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin. 7 For he who has died has been freed from sin. 8 Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, 9 knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more. Death no longer has dominion over Him. 10 For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. 11 Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Trespasses:
Tresspasses are not against God's moral laws. They are immature fruit, and part of our human nature, not the old sin nature. Even when we are filled with the Spirit of Christ, that doesn't mean we are mature Christians, but God doesn't want us to stop growing. He prunes us.

1 John 1:7
7 But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.

2 Peter 1:5-9
5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.
Thank you sister. Today and last night I have been bothered by my behavior with one of my sisters (blood sister) She has a huge heart and loves The Lord. Yet, she can be VERY annoying and madenning to listen to sometimes, lol. All of my other sibs know this and one brother won't even call her. She has a way of talking down or trying to be a "teacher" and THAT she is not! She has fallen for many a YouTube "Prophet" video and gets all high and mighty when I try to cut it off before she goes any further but still will go on and on and on. I was a bit rough on her and I just cannot help it! I love her very much yet, she gets' my goat every time! So, afterwards, I feel badly and as usual will get down on myself and repent! I've already said I am sorry to her, and meant it yet...I know it will happen again and it is like, out of my control as she does NOT listen to anyone...unless it's something she saw on YouTube! So, would this be a trespass on my part? Would be nice if one of my other siblings would chime in as they all feel the same way but, no cajones I suppose. Like I "want" to hurt her??! Of course not. I do pray for her as she is very naive and headstrong, yet also would give the shirt off her back to another in need! Ahhhh!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you sister. Today and last night I have been bothered by my behavior with one of my sisters (blood sister) She has a huge heart and loves The Lord. Yet, she can be VERY annoying and madenning to listen to sometimes, lol. All of my other sibs know this and one brother won't even call her. She has a way of talking down or trying to be a "teacher" and THAT she is not! She has fallen for many a YouTube "Prophet" video and gets all high and mighty when I try to cut it off before she goes any further but still will go on and on and on. I was a bit rough on her and I just cannot help it! I love her very much yet, she gets' my goat every time! So, afterwards, I feel badly and as usual will get down on myself and repent! I've already said I am sorry to her, and meant it yet...I know it will happen again and it is like, out of my control as she does NOT listen to anyone...unless it's something she saw on YouTube! So, would this be a trespass on my part? Would be nice if one of my other siblings would chime in as they all feel the same way but, no cajones I suppose. Like I "want" to hurt her??! Of course not. I do pray for her as she is very naive and headstrong, yet also would give the shirt off her back to another in need! Ahhhh!
No its not a trespass dear sister . It because you LOVE her so much you just dont want her to go down the wrong road .
And if we love them we do warn them . just like i would warn my own child . It aint cause i hate them , its cause i love them .
We must do this . Better is open rebuke . Your doing right by this . Now just dont yell at her . But do always tell her the truth .
Always tell her the truth .

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My personal experience (may not be everyone’s, in fact, probably isn’t) was that I absolutely could not stop my angry rages inside at other people until God calmed my flesh. My gosh, all that had to happen was that I turned and caught someone rolling their eyes at me and I would immediately boil and seethe inside and most times go on a vicious tirade or get them later In some way. I had no control over it. Literally none. And in my head, I could have the hurt feelings of wounded pride that I fussed over for months afterward. It was NEVER going to change by me trying hard to stop.
But after my flesh was calmed, well, I already described it. If I’m angry now, there’s zero heart rate increase, none of that blood rushing to my cheeks and the hearing my heart pounding in my ears. There’s just an all of sudden realization of, oh hey, I’m mad I think…and it’s when I see someone being abused, including an animal. If it’s just myself being abused, I don’t really think too much about it, although I will call it out, and sometimes Adamantly. But there’s calm as I do the calling out. It’s without my previous murderous hatred. Of course, by my experience here, people can’t tell I don’t hate them when I’m firm with them about something they’re doing.

But…I honestly think not everyone has the same besetting sin of murder as I did.

So as I previously posted, I don’t think you’re held to a higher standard until God gives you Weaning. And then, what you fight is only a brief temptation sometimes to act as was your previous habit that you just sort of…refuse to revert to.

Last edited:
  • Love

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because you went to her and apologized, that is all God requires for Him to forgive your trespass. And, yes, that was a perfect example of a trespass. The fruits were long-suffering and self-control. Just ask God to prune those so they will be stronger.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This subject is so confusing. To myself, all of them are missing the mark...
"Missing the mark" is extremely misleading. There are various degrees of sin, evil, and wickedness, but in the end they are all violations of God's moral and spiritual laws. Hence they are all "transgressions of the Law".

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No its not a trespass dear sister . It because you LOVE her so much you just dont want her to go down the wrong road .
And if we love them we do warn them . just like i would warn my own child . It aint cause i hate them , its cause i love them .
We must do this . Better is open rebuke . Your doing right by this . Now just dont yell at her . But do always tell her the truth .
Always tell her the truth .
Thank you brother,
I don't yell but my words, as carefully chosen so as not to offend, still she does not hear. We all need to pray as a family or we will drift apart. Yes, I know I can be up front in your face at times and that I don't like. Oh I so hate confrontation!! Ahh!
God's got this :)

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My personal experience (may not be everyone’s, in fact, probably isn’t) was that I absolutely could not stop my angry rages inside at other people until God calmed my flesh. My gosh, all that had to happen was that I turned and caught someone rolling their eyes at me and I would immediately boil and seethe inside and most times go on a vicious tirade or get them later In some way. I had no control over it. Literally none. And in my head, I could have the hurt feelings of wounded pride that I fussed over for months afterward. It was NEVER going to change by me trying hard to stop.
But after my flesh was calmed, well, I already described it. If I’m angry now, there’s zero heart rate increase, none of that blood rushing to my cheeks and the hearing my heart pounding in my ears. There’s just an all of sudden realization of, oh hey, I’m mad I think…and it’s when I see someone being abused, including an animal. If it’s just myself being abused, I don’t really think too much about it, although I will call it out, and sometimes Adamantly. But there’s calm as I do the calling out. It’s without my previous murderous hatred. Of course, by my experience here, people can’t tell I don’t hate them when I’m firm with them about something they’re doing.

But…I honestly think not everyone has the same besetting sin of murder as I did.

So as I previously posted, I don’t think you’re held to a higher standard until God gives you Weaning. And then, what you fight is only a brief temptation sometimes to act as was your previous habit that you just sort of…refuse to revert to.
REALLY praying to get to that point! Thanks for the feedback! xxoo

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because you went to her and apologized, that is all God requires for Him to forgive your trespass. And, yes, that was a perfect example of a trespass. The fruits were long-suffering and self-control. Just ask God to prune those so they will be stronger.
Thanks Lady,
Yes, I thought it was a trespass.
I do pray for pruning and purging. Hmm, maybe I need deliverance from whatever keeps me from growing in this area. My sister can bring out the worst in me and I hate that because she DOES have a kind and generous disposition...me? Not so much :(
xo

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Thanks Lady,
I do pray for pruning and purging. Hmm, maybe I need deliverance from whatever keeps me from growing in this area. My sister can bring out the worst in me and I hate that because she DOES have a kind and generous disposition...me? Not so much :(
xo
It happens to ALL of us, two minutes with my Afrikaans brother--and fists are flying, the Afrikaner streak--settle the score with fists, afterward embrace and say "goodbye--see you next year.."

• Haha

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Missing the mark" is extremely misleading. There are various degrees of sin, evil, and wickedness, but in the end they are all violations of God's moral and spiritual laws. Hence they are all "transgressions of the Law".
Yeah, since "missing the mark" has been coined and used to death. I suppose some sins don't even hit the target much less the "mark". We know right from wrong good from bad...Thank you Enoch.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, since "missing the mark" has been coined and used to death. I suppose some sins don't even hit the target much less the "mark". We know right from wrong good from bad...Thank you Enoch.
Well, yeah, it’s almost like ALL the words have no meaning in the brain anymore since we’ve all heard them so much!
But I know you’ve heard the reference to archery, right? Does it seem to apply to you? Like…you see the target, say…patience, and you aim for it, but the person just irritates you and it continues for 20 minutes and finally you bark impatience, instead of what you agree you want to do and be? You aimed and missed. But other times, you aim and you really do seem to yourself to maybe have hit it and so you don’t feel that slightly distressed feeling and disgust with yourself at how easily overcome by your flesh you are.

I think we ALL have to get to the point of…nope, I can’t overcome it. I’m too this or too that. This is just who I am. Weak when it comes to my flesh (emotions, impatiences, angers, resentments, etc.) and I’m pretty sure I’ve been attempting in my own power,strength, ability and will to perfect myself, which, is…the OPPOSITE of trusting in HIM and waiting on Him…!

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks Lady,
xo
You don't need "deliverance," just more surrender to the Lord in those areas.

• Love

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You don't need "deliverance," just more surrender to the Lord in those areas.
In the Lord's Prayer, as we call it, Jesus said, "lead us not into temptation, but delivery us from evil".

Temptation, "peirasmos", is also translated testing. The idea is that a contrary circumstance or condition comes to be, which will afflict us, and we can either endure through it while continuing to live our Christian life, or, alternatively, we may try to take things into our own hands, and try to deal with it ourselves.

And as God puts us through this process over and over, we become more resilient, more stable, more able to endure, more able to resist the fleshy responses, to resist the evil.

I've watched this in my life for years as God is training me.

I've also seem times where something simply isn't a problem for me anymore. When God has just freed me in a moment!

And so I pray, Lead me not into temptation. I don't want to struggle through years of training. But deliver me from evil. Free me today to serve you.

This training, it's a training in faith, till we come to a pure faith. This deliverance, it's a pure faith that God gives.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting that you say you don't want to struggle through years of training--and yet, here am I--still struggling.
God uses all these things, knowing what is right for each of us.

Much love!

Reactions: Johann

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@marks--I am nowhere close to what you have described here, especially "when God has just freed me in a moment" if you have full control over the flesh in the sphere of the Holy Spirit, no longer tempted with lustful looks, or any of the works of the flesh--good for you brother--me, I'm struggling, not yielding, but struggling in many areas, and this Forum is not a good place for admitting the inner struggles of the Christian
As I read your victory after victory over the flesh, I wonder if I am a Christian at all.

The battlefield is the nous/mind brother and sometimes, when I read these kind of testimonies and victories--what am I doing wrong, in word, thought and deed?

Interesting that you say you don't want to struggle through years of training--and yet, here am I--still struggling.
J.
Oh brother Johann, you have taken the words out of my mouth! Although I have learned a long time ago to not compare myself with other Christians, it still rears its's ugly head from time to time. Always reminding myself we are all at different places on the narrow road. What keeps me going is His promises to never leave or forsake us. Also have to keep reminding myself that He is no respecter of persons, we are all in the same family brother! I too have downed myself so many times because I wondered why I am not further along in my walk. I too struggle every day! And...His mercies are NEW everyday, amen! Those mercies I depend on each day and I pray for you brother, to feel His joy and that we WILL one day, over come our struggles!
In Him always!

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Oh brother Johann, you have taken the words out of my mouth! Although I have learned a long time ago to not compare myself with other Christians, it still rears its's ugly head from time to time. Always reminding myself we are all at different places on the narrow road. What keeps me going is His promises to never leave or forsake us. Also have to keep reminding myself that He is no respecter of persons, we are all in the same family brother! I too have downed myself so many times because I wondered why I am not further along in my walk. I too struggle every day! And...His mercies are NEW everyday, amen! Those mercies I depend on each day and I pray for you brother, to feel His joy and that we WILL one day, over come our struggles!
In Him always!
I am reading Pilgrims Progress, over and over again, what he was, his fears-- his struggles, up to the point of a-name change-- from pilgrim to Christian--and still the struggles--and his closest friends, then there is Obstinacy, Pliable, Slough of despondency, Worldly wisdom, Village of morality--legality--and many more.
I have read somewhere, don't know from whom--The Christian must walk alone, think it was Todzer--many disagreed with that poignant statement--but this is who I am, Pilgrim--Christian--but I don't really walk alone, the Lord graciously granted me a brother on this Forum--maybe Evangelist--whom I deeply appreciate and he is praying for me, since my prayers have turned into groaning's--hard to explain.

Shalom Y'all.
J.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have read somewhere, don't know from whom--The Christian must walk alone, think it was Todzer--many disagreed with that poignant statement--but this is who I am, Pilgrim--Christian--but I don't really walk alone, the Lord graciously granted me a brother on this Forum--maybe Evangelist--whom I deeply appreciate and he is praying for me, since my prayers have turned into groaning's--hard to explain.
That sounds like Tozer, and sometimes I think God does have us go alone, but for the most part, I think God intends us to be family to each other.

Much love!

Reactions: Johann