I like this poster about the KJV....

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Of course. I speak personally. I am not laying down a principle others should follow. My first Bible was common English version that Westcott and Hort revised in the 19th century. My first KJV I bought when that one fell apart. I fell in love with the KJV. At first the old english was a minor obstacle to a flowing reading style, but wasn't an impediment to understanding. It is still English which is my first languag e. Eventually I could read it aloud and replace those thees and thous with current words if I chose. But what I found was that the KJV was so much easier to memorise. It's poetic form and the beauty of it's language just lent itself to the memory. And sure, I use other versions from time to time to get a different perspective. But I seldom go to the Greek or Hebrew unless I'm doing a word study. The Holy Spirit is sufficient to do the work in me that God intended.
11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.
Isaiah 55:11 KJV
The KJV does indeed memorize so well.

Reactions: Brakelite

shortangel

Aug 23, 2020
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
my grama was a KJV only because she attended a house church where the KJV was the only translation allowed, but she did make an exception on one translation & that was The Living Bible translation by tyndale

YeshuaFan1

Jul 22, 2020
Macomb Mi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think that modern versions are more memorable, though; KJV verses seem to stay in the mind almost word perfectly, for some reason.
The style and phrasing of the Kjv is majestic, like unto Shakespeare, but not the easiest to understand!

Reactions: shortangel