I.N.R.I.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
My X / Twitter feed strikes again this morning. Some years ago I was delivering a sermon when someone asked a question about the cross. The person who asked said they had seen the initials I.N.R.I. written across the top of a cross that was on display in a church they had visited and didn’t know what they stood for. It is a Latin inscription.

I was reminded of this when I read the tweet this morning and thought that someone new to Christianity might not know what the initials stand for. I’m posting this with them in particular in mind but also for the benefit of anyone who has seen the initials and didn’t know what they stand for.

1715084275845.png

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“The letters ‘INRI’ are initials for the Latin title that Pontius Pilate had written over the head of Jesus Christ on the cross (John 19:19). Latin was the official language of the Roman Empire.

The words were ‘Iesvs Nazarenvs Rex Ivdaeorvm.’ Latin uses ‘I’ instead of the English ‘J’, and ‘V’ instead of ‘U’ (i.e., Jesus Nazarenus Rex Judaeorum). The English translation is ‘Jesus of Nazareth, the King of the Jews.’

The Early Church adopted the first letters of each word of this inscription ‘INRI’ as a symbol. Throughout the centuries INRI has appeared in many paintings of the crucifixtion. …”

gordon7

Mar 21, 2023
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Country
Ireland
A new Christian is like a new born lamb, and very afraid of everyone but who their mother trusts, the good Shepherd.

The sheep of Christ know not the voice of strangers.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“Therefore many of the Jews read this title, for the place where Jesus was crucified was near the city; and it was written in Hebrew, in Latin, and in Greek.”

(John 19:20)

The inscription was written in Hebrew, Latin and Greek. So why are the Latin initials used rather than Hebrew and Greek initials?

gordon7

Mar 21, 2023
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Country
Ireland
1 Timothy 6:3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;
4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,
5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

2 Timothy 4:1 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.
3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“Therefore many of the Jews read this title, for the place where Jesus was crucified was near the city; and it was written in Hebrew, in Latin, and in Greek.”

(John 19:20)

The inscription was written in Hebrew, Latin and Greek. So why are the Latin initials used rather than Hebrew and Greek initials?

There’s nothing at all wrong with using the Latin initials. There would also be nothing wrong with using Hebrew and Greek initials. Some artworks, in fact, use all three.

I.N.R.I. is by far the most common in the West. Greek would be more common in the East.

Where would Hebrew be common? No where.

Why? The Church.

gordon7

Mar 21, 2023
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Country
Ireland
Is this, this:

2 Peter 2:18 For when they speak great swelling words of vanity, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through much wantonness, those that were clean escaped from them who live in error.

Jude 1:16 These are murmurers, complainers, walking after their own lusts; and their mouth speaketh great swelling words, having men's persons in admiration because of advantage.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
There’s nothing at all wrong with using the Latin initials. There would also be nothing wrong with using Hebrew and Greek initials. Some artworks, in fact, use all three.

I.N.R.I. is by far the most common in the West. Greek would be more common in the East.

Where would Hebrew be common? No where.

Why? The Church.

My five-year-old grandson is attending a private school where Latin and Hebrew are taught to all students. I asked a school administrator why they didn’t also teach Hebrew. The administrator acknowledged that Hebrew is a biblical language, then added that the school is focused on providing a classical Christian education; pointing out that Latin and Greek are the classical languages of the Church.

gordon7

Mar 21, 2023
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Country
Ireland
My five-year-old grandson is attending a private school where Latin and Hebrew are taught to all students. I asked a school administrator why they didn’t also teach Hebrew. The administrator acknowledged that Hebrew is a biblical language, then added that the school is focused on providing a classical Christian education; pointing out that Latin and Greek are the classical languages of the Church.
1 Corinthians 1:22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

The classical language of the Church in the West is Latin. The classical language of the Church in the East is Greek.

The Hebrew Bible was translated into Greek by Jews. The Greek Septuagint and the Greek New Testament were translated into Latin by Christians.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
However....

When the initials of Hebrew are used it spells out the tetragrammiton...(God's Name) which is why the Jews wanted the charge's wording changed....they didn't have a problem with the conviction only the wording.

"They will look upon me as the one they pierced" (Isaiah prophecy concerning the Messiah)

Jewish prejudice has been rampant in the world for centuries...so of course they didn't study the Hebrew Alphabet. "Christ killers" epithet has been used by many in the world as an accusation against the Jews....it was not just Martin Luther or Hitler that did so. (Although they are the most noted recent ones to do so)

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
However....

When the initials of Hebrew are used it spells out the tetragrammiton...(God's Name) which is why the Jews wanted the charge's wording changed....they didn't have a problem with the conviction only the wording.

“Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews.”

The Hebrew initials of the inscription don’t spell out the tetragrammton.

"They will look upon me as the one they pierced" (Isaiah prophecy concerning the Messiah)

Did you mean Zechariah?

Jewish prejudice has been rampant in the world for centuries...so of course they didn't study the Hebrew Alphabet.

Who didn’t study the Hebrew Alphabet? Early Christian translations of Hebrew exist.

"Christ killers" epithet has been used by many in the world as an accusation against the Jews....it was not just Martin Luther or Hitler that did so. (Although they are the most noted recent ones to do so)

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My X / Twitter feed strikes again this morning. Some years ago I was delivering a sermon when someone asked a question about the cross. The person who asked said they had seen the initials I.N.R.I. written across the top of a cross that was on display in a church they had visited and didn’t know what they stood for. It is a Latin inscription.

I was reminded of this when I read the tweet this morning and thought that someone new to Christianity might not know what the initials stand for. I’m posting this with them in particular in mind but also for the benefit of anyone who has seen the initials and didn’t know what they stand for.

View attachment 44857

Not to be picky ..hmm...But....

Shouldn't 'Ivdaeorum' or 'Iudaeorum ' mean, as with the context of the message: Judeans first, and not necessarily Jews?

To be more accurate, Christ was called the King of the inhabitants of Judea, and then in a broader sense, Iudaeorum can also refer to the descendants of the Israelites who adhered to Judaism, and most were Jews.

And before you might want to now step out the room, with eyes rolled up,:Ohpleze: the distinction between a Judean” and a Jew” is important, as it reflects the difference between the geographical and cultural identity of the people of Judea and their religious beliefs.

Great Day Mat!

Reactions: Matthias

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who didn’t study the Hebrew Alphabet? Early Christian translations of Hebrew exist.
All those who were not Jewish.
The letters themselves were difficult enough....but reading backwards? Nobody goes out of their way to do so especially when someone else will translate for you.

And reading and writing were not as prolific as you might think. Jews were especially good at the skill due to the school system and that Israel (specifically Meggidio) was a crossroads location. Just about every language had traveled through Israel at some point. From the docks at Mt Carmel (Haifa today) as well as Tyre and Sidon to the Crossroads at Megiddio (spice trade route)
The Jews and Israel were linguists who customarily spoke every language to some level. This wasn't true for everywhere....Israel was unique in this.

Matthew himself translated his Gospel account from Hebrew into English. The Septuagint was popular because not EVERY Jew (especially the religious Jews tossed out of Italy 10 years prior to Stephan's stoning) were fluent in Hebrew. The religious leaders were definitely, scripture records their being, upset about the wording of the charges. Not the crucifixion but just the wording.

And yes....I was wrong about Isaiah you were right about it being from Zechariah 12.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matthias

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Not to be picky ..hmm...But....

Shouldn't 'Ivdaeorum' or 'Iudaeorum ' mean, as with the context of the message: Judeans first, and not necessarily Jews?

To be more accurate, Christ was called the King of the inhabitants of Judea, and then in a broader sense, Iudaeorum can also refer to the descendants of the Israelites who adhered to Judaism, and most were Jews.

And before you might want to now step out the room, with eyes rolled up,:Ohpleze: the distinction between a Judean” and a Jew” is important, as it reflects the difference between the geographical and cultural identity of the people of Judea and their religious beliefs.

Great Day Mat!

Technically, that’s possible. The point though seems to me to be that it is directed at Jewish rejection of Jesus as the Messiah promised by their God, rather than at non-Jewish population indifference or ambivalence toward him.

Reactions: APAK

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
All those who were not Jewish.

To the best of my recollection, none of the early Christians who translated Hebrew into Latin were converted Jews. At the very least we would have to say that some who were non-Jews knew how to read and translate the language.

The letters themselves were difficult enough....but reading backwards? Nobody goes out of their way to do so especially when someone else will translate for you.

See those who did.

And reading and writing were not as prolific as you might think. Jews were especially good at the skill due to the school system and that Israel (specifically Meggidio) was a crossroads location. Just about every language had traveled through Israel at some point. From the docks at Mt Carmel (Haifa today) as well as Tyre and Sidon to the Crossroads at Megiddio (spice trade route)
The Jews and Israel were linguists who customarily spoke every language to some level. This wasn't true for everywhere....Israel was unique in this.

Matthew himself translated his Gospel account from Hebrew into English. The Septuagint was popular because not EVERY Jew (especially the religious Jews tossed out of Italy 10 years prior to Stephan's stoning) were fluent in Hebrew. The religious leaders were definitely, scripture records their being, upset about the wording of the charges. Not the crucifixion but just the wording.

And yes....I was wrong about Isaiah you were right about it being from Zechariah 12.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

The multiple problems with your suggestion, from someone who believes that Jesus himself is Yahweh.

It simply doesn’t work, as this writer concedes.

I’m glad you brought this up. It was a valuable contribution to the discussion of the inscriptions.