I need suggestions on a resource please..

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So, my daughter has a friend (boy, 16) who has been expressing an interest in learning more about Christianity. Am wondering if any here know of any good resources that might suit for this purpose? He's from a background where I doubt he'd know even the basics, but he's got a good mind and is quite quick. We're encouraging him to watch the Case for Christ movie, but I wouldn't mind having a booklet or something that he can have to just read through on his own time and really consider, should his interest be genuine.
Thanks for any help!

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, my daughter has a friend (boy, 16) who has been expressing an interest in learning more about Christianity. Am wondering if any here know of any good resources that might suit for this purpose? He's from a background where I doubt he'd know even the basics, but he's got a good mind and is quite quick. We're encouraging him to watch the Case for Christ movie, but I wouldn't mind having a booklet or something that he can have to just read through on his own time and really consider, should his interest be genuine.
Thanks for any help!

There are many good books out there. I always had some Bibles I picked up pretty cheap. I would give them one of those and tell them to read the Gospel of John. Then go back to the beginning and start with Genesis.

A book that was of interest to me as a new believer was 'Who Moved the Stone' by Frank Morison.

The bottom line is you can't go wrong if the Holy Spirit is drawing him.

Stranger

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many will gnash their teeth, hold up crosses in my direction, and throw garlic at me for this, but one of the first books I have come to think is ideal for a newbie is The Story.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Some of the best reading material are the people whom he will rub shoulders with, particularly if they have a true relationship with Christ.

At the moment, I would suggest that you are the first person on that list of people whom he will rub shoulders with.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I imagine it not being KJV might give some people the shakes, but here are the opening remarks:

Welcome to The Story—God’s Story
THIS BOOK TELLS THE GRANDEST, most compelling story of all time: the story of a true God who loves his children, who established for them a way of salvation and provided a route to eternity. Each story in these 31 chapters reveals the God of grace — the God who speaks; the God who acts; the God who listens; the God whose love for his people culminated in his sacrifice of Jesus, his only Son, to atone for the sins of humanity.
What’s more: this same God is alive and active today — still listening, still acting, still pouring out his grace on us. His grace extends to our daily foibles; our ups, downs, and in-betweens; our moments of questions and fears; and most important, our response to his call on our lives. He’s the same God who forgave David’s failures and rescued Jonah from the dark belly of a fish. This same heavenly Father who shepherded the Israelites through the wilderness desires to shepherd us through our wanderings, to help us get past our failures and rescue us for eternity.
It’s our prayer that these stories will encourage you to listen for God’s call on your life, as he helps write your own story.
MAX LUCADO and RANDY FRAZEE

Preface
THE STORY, through its unique and easy-to-read format, opens a door to God’s truth. It’s a door that every person is consciously or unconsciously searching for. A door that leads to freedom, hope and God himself! The Bible is filled with exciting and intense stories of love, war, birth, death and miracles. There’s poetry, culture, history and theology. It’s a suspense novel, a book of sociology, a history lesson — all woven around one eternal conflict: good versus evil. This story offers a glimpse of people in a different time and place who are yet very much like us today.
As you read The Story you will encounter not only the story of humankind but also the story of who God is and what he has done for us — for you. This story makes the insistent claim that a loving God has sought you and provided a way of redemption — a way for you to enter a relationship with him.
The Story includes the actual, God-breathed words of the Bible. The 31 chapters that comprise The Story contain portions of Scripture that were thoughtfully and carefully excerpted and then placed in chronological order. Transitions, which appear in Italic, were written to summarize omitted Scripture text in order to help the storyline read smoothly. The texts were chosen to retain the overall flow of the narrative, so that when you read this story, you will get a sense of the “big picture” of the Bible. Line spaces were added when text was omitted, and a chart at the back of this book will let you know what portions of Scripture were included.
Other helpful material placed at the end of The Story include an epilogue that gives you an idea of the global impact this story has had on the world, a discussion guide with questions for you to reflect on personally or with a group and a cast of characters with brief descriptions so that you can tell who’s who at a glance.
The Scripture text used in The Story is taken from the New International Version (NIV). Our goal was to make the Bible read smoothly and easily, so that you can read it just like you’d read a novel. But The Story you’re reading isn’t any ordinary story. You are reading a story that has the power to change who you are, what you think and how you view life. You are exposing yourself to deep, transforming truth.
So sit back and enjoy the truest, greatest story ever written.

bellgamin

Aug 25, 2018
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
www.biblebell.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I taught Bible to teens in a Christian High School for several years. Many of our students were not Christians when they enrolled -- nor were their parents, in many cases. They were sent to us because our school was "safe" &/or near-by to where they resided. The 2 books that did a lot for many such students, and for many Christian students, as well, were...

Apologetic Study Bible for Students
And...
The Case for Christ (student edition)

NOTE: If you give a teen one of these books, you MUST have your own copies and read them yourself. If the teen returns to you, after reading the book you gave him or her, & asks you a question about something in that book, you will seem quite phony if it is obvious you never read a book that you recommended.

Last edited:

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Thanks for any help!
I agree with @Stranger
If the resurrection could be proven, what else is necessary?
I also have read this book. The passion story should be known before reading it.
Excellent book for anyone. Its not specific for younger folk.

I'll tell you one book I think every teenager should read...
The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis.

It's about Satan and how he operates. Via one of his workers.
They'll recognize the methods,,it's an easy and fast read in the form of letters between Satan and the worker.

If satan seems real, then God will become real too.

Reactions: Naomi25

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for any help!

Whether the Holy Spirit is drawing someone is really the make or break point on if he will come to God or not. If it is merely a mental curiosity on his part, don't expect that curiosity to last long. But if he is genuinely being drawn by God, He will find what He is seeking.

In that regard, the Holy Spirit draws people first and foremost to the scriptures, so I'd suggest focusing mostly on the Bible itself rather than resources about Christianity. These may be fine and good, but they are not the Word of Life itself, and that is what the Holy Spirit seeks to illuminate.

Blessings, Naomi. And tell your daughter to keep praying for him. It would be a wonderful experience for her to see him come to Christ.
Hidden

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of the best serendipitous things about The Story is that since so many Legalists got up in arms that it wasn't a legitimate Bible, and therefore shouldn't be read, its sales weren't moving well. Thus, the resulting reduced prices made it possible for me to buy several copies at a good price.

Last edited:

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Perhaps an Alpha course may be something he would be interested in. "Alpha is a series of sessions exploring the Christian faith, typically run over eleven weeks. Each talk looks at a different question around faith and is designed to create conversation. Alpha is run all around the globe, and everyone's welcome" To find out if there is an Alpha course near you, go to ~ Home

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If you are praying for the salvation of this young man, may I suggest that you initially ask God to include him in those whom He is drawing to himself and to His rest, and then in Faith pray daily thanking God that He is drawing this young man to Himself and His rest, to make him a mighty man of God in the future, for the benefit of the whole world. But now that is a prophetic word over this man that I was prompted to make.

Pray and thank God that this is His purposes for this young man.

Shalom

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Thanks everyone! I am...suspicious that this young man is only 'interested' because my daughter wants him to be. But, having said that, we all know that God works in mysterious ways and can bring someone to him through less. So, we'll pray and 'stack the kindling' and hope the Spirit ignites it.
@Angelina yes, I've heard of the Alpha courses...they do them every so often around here as well, so we'll see.
I think, initially, we'll need to expel a few big myths. From what he's said, I think he see's Christianity as just another religion and wonders how it stacks up against the other ones of the world. And as we all know, it is a little different ;)

Reactions: Truth and Willie T

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks everyone! I am...suspicious that this young man is only 'interested' because my daughter wants him to be. But, having said that, we all know that God works in mysterious ways and can bring someone to him through less. So, we'll pray and 'stack the kindling' and hope the Spirit ignites it.
@Angelina yes, I've heard of the Alpha courses...they do them every so often around here as well, so we'll see.
I think, initially, we'll need to expel a few big myths. From what he's said, I think he see's Christianity as just another religion and wonders how it stacks up against the other ones of the world. And as we all know, it is a little different ;)

I would say this. You might have to make a hard stand with your daughter against 'dating' a non-believer. It is against what we believe as Christians. Don't let your daughters dating become a mission field. His showing interest is one thing, but dating is another.

Once the emotions are involved then it is almost impossible to back off. Best to say no at the outset.

Stranger

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If you are not sure his interest is genuine, Then at this point, if your Daughter is a believer, then as her mom you need to be sure she hold's fast to the Lord, and then your daughter, and yourself can put verbal influence for him to try to understand! Pray for him, and express simple truth's about our Savior, there is a balance through love and truth!

bellgamin

Aug 25, 2018
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
www.biblebell.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
By & large, "The Story" is a skillfully condensed NIV.

I feel that certain Bible versions & paraphrases are better than others. However, I have never found it necessary to assign negative epithets to people who disagree with me.

There are scads of folks who fervently like "The Story". There are a lesser number who fervently do not. I know people in both camps. I have never heard people in either camp use derogatory terms about the other, such as "legalist" or such. When someone must disagree with a brother or sister, it is good to do so without name calling.

Last edited:

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I would say this. You might have to make a hard stand with your daughter against 'dating' a non-believer. It is against what we believe as Christians. Don't let your daughters dating become a mission field. His showing interest is one thing, but dating is another.

Once the emotions are involved then it is almost impossible to back off. Best to say no at the outset.

Stranger

Preaching to the converted! Oh, the conversations we've held (with her) about it. And she's on board at the moment, and happy with our current rule of "no dating until 17"...which we reserve the right to change to 21!

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If you are not sure his interest is genuine, Then at this point, if your Daughter is a believer, then as her mom you need to be sure she hold's fast to the Lord, and then your daughter, and yourself can put verbal influence for him to try to understand! Pray for him, and express simple truth's about our Savior, there is a balance through love and truth!

She is a believer, which I thank God daily for. We've spoken in depth about why it's important for a believer to not date an unbeliever and at this point she is firm in what she wants. Of course, I know that as kids get older the pressure to have a boyfriend can grow and her 'standards' may drop if she can't find the 'right one'. So right now I'm doing all I can to build up her foundation and relationship with God, so when that time comes, it won't just be her parents telling her stuff, it will be her own relationship with God that will guide her. That's what it will all really come down to, as much as we might like to think we have control of the situation. It's both scary and comforting to realize that it's not on you, it's on God.

Reactions: Truth

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
By & large, "The Story" is a skillfully condensed NIV.

I feel that certain Bible versions & paraphrases are better than others. However, I have never found it necessary to assign negative epithets to people who disagree with me.

There are scads of folks who fervently like "The Story". There are a lesser number who fervently do not. I know people in both camps. I have never heard people in either camp use derogatory terms about the other, such as "legalist" or such. When someone must disagree with a brother or sister, it is good to do so without name calling.
Gosh, I certainly hope no one does that. Be sure to let me know if you see something like that.