I observe the Sabbath on....

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ye shall find rest...at His feet. As the above consider Mary and Martha: Luke 10:38-42 Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house. [39] And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word. [40] But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me. [41] And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: (Labour and are heavy laden)[42] But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.

Encumbered 1. (n.) That which encumbers; a burden which impedes action, or renders it difficult and laborious; a clog; an impediment. See Incumbrance.

Hebrews 12:1
Therefore, surrounded as we are by such a vast cloud of witnesses, let us fling aside every encumbrance and the sin that so readily entangles our feet. And let us run with patient endurance the race that lies before us,

Not sure how to apply what you had shared with Matthew 11:28-30 when Jesus was talking about learning of Him so religious people can rest in Him as saved. In context, we read about how the Father is the One that draws men unto the Son to reveal His Son to them so they can believe in Him.

Matthew 11:25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes. 26 Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight. 27 All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.

I believe the underlined portion is why Jesus said these words next for the religious people in how they can believe in Him when they learn of Him to find rest for their souls.

Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

That is why not very many mighty men nor wise men are called because they cannot fathom surrendering from all their religious works and zeal for God to rest in Him that they are saved simply for believing in Him.

1 Corinthians 1:26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 29 That no flesh should glory in his presence. 30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: 31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Sorry but I do not see the Sabbath being given to man in Eden. What I do see is God resting on the seventh day. No mention is made that Adam and Eve were to observe it. As for the other commandments, some of them wouldn't have applied in Eden. Could they have committed adultery -- if we want to believe some of the Jewish stories perhaps since they say Eve had sex with a demon and so did Adam. Could they have stolen anything? Coveted anything? God gave them dominion over everything they could see.

They were a few commandments, none of which are included in the Decalogue.

When I believe I may be reading between the lines, I search to see if others before me had the same idea. Once it occurred to me there were probably 70 trees in Eden. I checked some sources and discovered I wasn't the first to think that. It was part of the Jewish tradition. I also refer to history at times.

I cannot accept that there were commandments necessary for Gentile Christians that were not included in that list because the text itself prevents such a reading. I also know the early church had differing customs regarding Saturdays and Sundays. There was no clear tradition regarding it.

Acts 15:28 For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;

The list is of the "necessary things" and the Apostles laid no other burden on the Gentile Christians. If you want to observe Saturdays or Sundays, that's fine; and you may find it useful -- but it is not a binding commandment according to Acts -- which agrees with Paul who said not to make a fuss over what day if any people kept. I really don't see why people make a fuss over this issue.

There are many other "commandments" Christians should keep, not because God commands it but because our government has made laws. Thus the Apostles did not need to forbid stealing since Roman law already dealt with that.

While I would not recommend coveting to anyone, I also would tell my fellow Christians they're sinning if they do. I'd tell them they're setting themselves to be unhappy by coveting, but I would look at them as sinners -- I would trust the Holy Spirit to steer them out of it. As for bearing false witness, I will leave that up to the legal authorities to enforce the laws on the books. I don't need to be told that by a minister since the government already has it covered. I would also trust the Holy Spirit to inform my fellow Christians that they were not obeying the Golden Rule if they bear false witness.
I will ask one question...by which standard does and will God judge the world?

Last edited:

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I may protest too much but your protests are scared hares pulled from your sweaty hat in cold perspiration of desperation.

Can you apply these words to your ministry?

Matthew 11:25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes. 26 Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight. 27 All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.

I believe the underlined portion is why Jesus said these words next for the religious people in how they can believe in Him when they learn of Him to find rest for their souls.

Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

That is why not very many mighty men nor wise men are called because they cannot fathom surrendering from all their religious works and zeal for God to rest in Him that they are saved simply for believing in Him.

1 Corinthians 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. 18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God...........21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe......….26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 29 That no flesh should glory in his presence. 30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: 31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

Something for you to pray about for confirmation in His words from the Lord.

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think they were saying, the gentiles aren't under the Law, so need need to make them try to keep it, however, keeping in mind that their Jewish neighbors have been raised on Moses, every week all their lives being taught these things . . . I think it's about not offending those with weaker faith.

Much love!

When Peter testify that Jewish believers in Christ could not keep the law either nor able to bear, then why tempt God for putting that on the Gentiles?

Acts 15:10 Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear? 11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.......... 19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God: 20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

So Peter's judgment was not to trouble the saved Gentile believers with the law of Moses, but he did render sentence on what the Gentiles were to abstain from in walking in the light in fellowship with the Father & the Son.

I am not really seeing anything in regards to weaker faith here, brother. Mayhap you can point it out, but thank you for replying.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So Peter's judgment was not to trouble the saved Gentile believers with the law of Moses, but he did render sentence on what the Gentiles were to abstain from in walking in the light in fellowship with the Father & the Son.
Where I see it is in the Apostles not putting them under the Law, but the selecting these four things,

20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.
21 For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.

And the reason given, because Moses is preached every week in every city, from olden times.

When we come to understand that we are dead to the Law, that in Christ, we are not under the Law, our faith allows us to eat anything, even if it was offered to an idol, except, for those with a weaker conscience, for them we abstain.

These four things are not the only things that a believer might do that are wrong to do. The Apostled did not tell them to obstain from murder, nor did they instruct to not mix fibers in their clothing.

If this is a matter of keeping Law, or doing what is right, they missed an awful lot of things. But if this is a matter of accommodating the sensibilities of others, then it becomes a matter of not going against the conscience of another person.

And the person who's conscience does not allow them to eat the meat sacrificed to an idol is considered to be the weaker faith, and those with the stonger faith should make that concession.

In the Apostle's letter, I see what we know we are not to do, fornication, and what was never prohibited to Gentiles, eating strangled animals.

Naturally, there is what God does and doesn't want us to do. Anyway, does this help to show my thoughts?

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But does everyone ask casually who's counting? You seemed very casual about it to me. I will not make claims about myself; but I will say there are some members here I would guess do not sin every day. Some may not have sinned in months or even years.

I have found myself one of the best ways to avoid sinning is to avoid getting myself into situations where I could be tempted to sin.
I doubt that anyone has over a couple of days without sinning. Like I said, i both actions and thought.
Yes, you are correct, a great way to not sin is to avoid questionable and tempting circumstances.
I personally feel that wisdom is the best way to overcome sin. Appreciate how vile and depraved that hedonism is. Or, how insecure, desperate and hypocritical retaliating or abuse is. How cowardly and weak that lying is...
I sounded casual, only because it was alluding to the main point, I didn't want to digress by having to be so precise in why, counting is not the policy that we should hold.

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where I see it is in the Apostles not putting them under the Law, but the selecting these four things,

20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.
21 For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.

And the reason given, because Moses is preached every week in every city, from olden times.

When we come to understand that we are dead to the Law, that in Christ, we are not under the Law, our faith allows us to eat anything, even if it was offered to an idol, except, for those with a weaker conscience, for them we abstain.

These four things are not the only things that a believer might do that are wrong to do. The Apostled did not tell them to obstain from murder, nor did they instruct to not mix fibers in their clothing.

If this is a matter of keeping Law, or doing what is right, they missed an awful lot of things. But if this is a matter of accommodating the sensibilities of others, then it becomes a matter of not going against the conscience of another person.

And the person who's conscience does not allow them to eat the meat sacrificed to an idol is considered to be the weaker faith, and those with the stonger faith should make that concession.

In the Apostle's letter, I see what we know we are not to do, fornication, and what was never prohibited to Gentiles, eating strangled animals.

Naturally, there is what God does and doesn't want us to do. Anyway, does this help to show my thoughts?

Much love!

I believe those were specified because that was the practice of sinners in the area from which they were called out of for why they are to abstain.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I doubt that anyone has over a couple of days without sinning. Like I said, i both actions and thought.
Yes, you are correct, a great way to not sin is to avoid questionable and tempting circumstances.
I personally feel that wisdom is the best way to overcome sin. Appreciate how vile and depraved that hedonism is. Or, how insecure, desperate and hypocritical retaliating or abuse is. How cowardly and weak that lying is...
I sounded casual, only because it was alluding to the main point, I didn't want to digress by having to be so precise in why, counting is not the policy that we should hold.
I find the best way to avoid sinning is to keep my mind focused on God, His presence with me, His love for me, and His power in me.

Much love!

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I find the best way to avoid sinning is to keep my mind focused on God, His presence with me, His love for me, and His power in me.

Much love!
Also a great methodology.
...my attitude always improves whenever I reflect on the grace that he bestowed upon us, or what heaven has in store for believers. With that in mind, the attractions and cares of this world then do become insignificant.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
If the Gentile sinners have been keeping the sabbath day like the Jews, then there would be no one breaking the sabbath day commandment. The fact that there are Gentile believers and the lack of emphasis on teaching them the law of Moses, finds your judgement as wanting.

Acts 15:5 But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses. 6 And the apostles and elders came together for to consider of this matter. 7 And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe. 8 And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us; 9 And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith. 10 Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear? 11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.......... 19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God: 20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

No teaching them to observe nor keep the sabbath day here. They may refer to old times when Moses read on the sabbath day, but that is not the same thing as telling Gentiles to observe or keep the sabbath day.

Straw, digested excreted straw! WORSE-- plain blasphemy! You now are my first ever on IGNORE.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
When we come to understand that we are dead to the Law,

That's for sure! To the Law okie you're dead as dead can be. "FOR AS LONG AS YOU LIVE" SAYS PAUL! Because that’s as long as thou shalt be “UNDER, THE, LAW” while the Law forever after you, shall remain over everybody until they all shall also die!
You think you can just shake off God's Law and it is no more? Surprise surprise.... If He said, Thou shalt die!, thou shalt be under the Law of death until thou shalt HAVE died, physically, died! Died FOREVER... if not for the death of God's Son in your, and, in my, place. That is why God's Son is the Law of Life, our LAW UNDER WHOM we shall LIVE forever, AFTER.

Last edited:

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
....Sundays as a Christ follower and obey the 10 Commandments 24/7, so as I don't do forums on Sunday, I will see you Monday.
God bless you all.

My name is OLIGOS

You do not obey the 10 commandments because they tell you to keep the Sabbath ( Saturday) holy.

My name is Tiglathpileser.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seasoned by Grace

Seasoned by Grace

Feb 15, 2020
Northwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Chrisrian's are not under the 10 commandments, or the Law, or the Law of God, or the law of the testimony, or the Law of sin and death, or the Decalogue, all the same with different names.
We are not under the Law, but al Christians are to obey the Law that stands forever. We can actually obey the law without being under it.
John14:15, "If you love Me, you will obey (Or keep-Some translations) my commands".

My name is Oligos

Last edited:

Seasoned by Grace

Feb 15, 2020
Northwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You do not obey the 10 commandments because they tell you to keep the Sabbath ( Saturday) holy.

Sorry, I'm not a legalist or a rule keeper.
Your statement makes no sense to me.
I live by my heart that the Holy Spirit lives in too.

My name is Oligos

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Sorry, I'm not a legalist or a rule keeper.
Your statement makes no sense to me.
I live by my heart that the Holy Spirit lives in too.

My name is Oligos
Neither am I. I was just responding to your claim that you kept all of the commandments which you didn't if you meet on Sunday.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Chrisrian's are not under the 10 commandments, or the Law, or the Law of God, or the law of the testimony, or the Law of sin and death, or the Decalogue, all the same with different names.
We are not under the Law, but al Christians are to obey the Law that stands forever. We can actually obey the law without being under it.
John14:15, "If you love Me, you will obey (Or keep-Some translations) my commands".

My name is Oligos

So that means we don't have to love the Lord our God with all our heart and mind and soul etc.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

My name is Oligos

They are under the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus.

And please explain what this means....Rom 8:4 so that the righteous demand of the Law might be fulfilled in us, those not walking according to the flesh, but according to Spirit.

Child of God

Feb 18, 2020
Seattle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
....Sundays as a Christ follower and obey the 10 Commandments 24/7, so as I don't do forums on Sunday, I will see you Monday.
God bless you all.

My name is OLIGOS
The Sabbath is Friday Sunset to Saturday Sunset.

This can be Established by the Orbit of Venus Which ever 40 Years and 40 days becomes both the evening and Morning Star for a Period of 7 Evenings And & Mornings EVERY 40 years and 40 days.

Every 40 Years and 40 days for a period of 7 evenings and 7 mornings Venus becomes BOTH the Evening Star and the Morning Star.

It Happens like clock work,
Every 40 years and 40 days.l

It may be the evening or morning star before it happens,
But for a period of 7 evenings and 7 Morning it is both.

This is where the week comes from, so much elsee comes from this.

The Jewish Religion, has much of 40 Years, And 40 Days.

I have actually Studied the Days Of Christ Christ Birth by the Stars,

have you?