Identity in Christ

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Knowing who we are in Christ helps in recovery of many mental health issues. I'd like to focus on these more this new year to battle feelings of anxiety and self condemnation.

View attachment 5017

Nice to see you on here May ♥ I too struggle with anxiety issues and, as they have not gone away totally (The battles are toughest while we are in their midst) the verse that brings me back to my Anchor (Christ) is Proverbs 3:6
"In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."
The more I think on this short verse, the more His peace envelopes me. It's still a faith growth thing with me, and will continue to be until He takes me home. Besides, why should we fret over things we have no control over anyhow? Just makes us even more anxious! We just have to keep laying all these things at His feet and ask for His peace as you know He hears you ♥ JMHO :)

My prayer for you is that rest, in Him...
In His Name!
nancy

Reactions: Helen and Mayflower

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our faith grows without a doubt. But even the when your faith is small towards God, it is great to Him. He doesn't require much. And what He will always remember is that your faith, though mixed with great trials and doubting, was great. He is like that. He remembers the good from His people, and that is all He remembers. He is for us.

I have some Scripture to support this that I have said, but I am tired and it is getting late for me. I will try and present it tomorrow.

Stranger

I would remember reading about the countless times Israel fell and God forgave them because of His lovingkindness and patience. I would read and think them quite dumb for not trusting God after the sea split, the plagues ravaged Egypt, and He delivered them. But then God has done so many things in my life without a doubt, I can be a dum dum too getting worried again and again.

Reactions: Pisteuo

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Ive always struggled with anxiety...Whole new set of anxieties as a mom though, and wife too of course!
Mayflower, anxiety is caused by fear -- generally fear of the unknown. So you will need to address this with Scripture and apply the remedy given.

Be careful [ANXIOUS] for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. (Phil 4:6,7)

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would remember reading about the countless times Israel fell and God forgave them because of His lovingkindness and patience. I would read and think them quite dumb for not trusting God after the sea split, the plagues ravaged Egypt, and He delivered them. But then God has done so many things in my life without a doubt, I can be a dum dum too getting worried again and again.

Indeed. I believe all Christians used to read about Israel's failures in trusting God, and wondering why don't they get it. Then lo, and behold, we find out we are just like them. And of course that is why God recorded this for us, as examples to learn from.

The Scripture I was going to show concerns Abraham and Sarah. Abraham had the promises of God which were based upon him having a son. (Gen. 12:1-3). But as he got older and had no children, his faith wavered. So he tried to get God to accept his servant Eliezer as his son. To which God refused and repeated His promise to him. (Gen. 15:1-6) Then later Abraham agrees to Sari's plan and had a child by Hagar, named Ishmael to help God out in fulfilling His promise. (Gen. 16:1-5) Then when God appeared to Abraham and repeated the promises, Abraham tried to get Him to take Ishmael as the promised seed. (Gen. 17:18) And worse, he laughed at God at thinking He could fulfill the promise due to his and Sarah's age. (Gen. 17:17) As did Sarah also. (Gen. 18:12).

But, when God records this later, we read this. Concerning Sarah He said, (Heb. 11:11) "Through faith also Sara herself received strength to conceive seed, and was delivered of a child when she was past age, because she judged him faithful who had promised."

Concerning Abraham He said, (Rom. 4:18-21), "Who against hope believed in hope...And being not weak in faith, he considered not his own body now dead...He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God; And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform."

Makes you wonder if we are talking about the same persons. But we are. All that God said of Abraham and Sarah is true. But so is the record of their struggle with their faith in (Genesis). But which does God see? Which does He remember? He remembers it as it is given in (Heb. 11:11) and (Rom. 4:18-21). Can we not see God's attitude toward us in the times that we struggle in our walk here?

Stranger

Last edited:

Blueberry

Nov 2, 2018
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One thing that has helped me a lot is to not be concerned about the quantity, or even quality, of my faith as much as the object of my faith. My faith is in Christ. I have learned to escape the trap of having faith in my faith. Wrong focus. Is it smaller than a mustard seed? No problem. Unless I am trusting it rather than Christ.

Another thing that I have heard preached that helps me is how ironic that it is that we can trust Christ for salvation and then not trust in much less important matters in life. Doesn't really make sense. Jesus can deliver me from Hell and yet perhaps not whatever little predicament that I find myself in at the moment. Rather silly, isn't it?

Please make no mistake. There are many circumstances and outcomes in life that are not pleasant and can be painful. But I just have to trust that He will deliver me as He sees fit. Which is all too often not the way I would have had things turn out. But that whatever happens between here and There, my destination is secure. In Him.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
'Be careful for nothing;
.. but in every thing
.... by prayer and supplication
with thanksgiving
.. let your requests be made known unto God.
And the peace of God,
.. which passeth all understanding,
.... shall keep your hearts and minds
through Christ Jesus.'

(Philippians 4:6-7)

Praise His Holy Name!

Reactions: Mayflower
D

Dave L

Knowing who we are in Christ helps in recovery of many mental health issues. I'd like to focus on these more this new year to battle feelings of anxiety and self condemnation.

View attachment 5017
Making love the motive in all we think, say and do confirms these scriptures apply to us. And if love is present, we can withstand any put downs and slighting of character the devil might launch at us, knowing fully well his assessment of us is false.

Reactions: Nancy and Mayflower

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
'Be careful for nothing;
.. but in every thing
.... by prayer and supplication
with thanksgiving
.. let your requests be made known unto God.
And the peace of God,
.. which passeth all understanding,
.... shall keep your hearts and minds
through Christ Jesus.'

(Philippians 4:6-7)

Praise His Holy Name!
Interesting that as in Philippians 4, so in 1 Thessalonians 5, prayer, joy and thankfulness are all seemingly linked...

Reactions: Mayflower

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting that as in Philippians 4, so in 1 Thessalonians 5, prayer, joy and thankfulness are all seemingly linked...

Yes, indeed, @farouk,
It is most impressive, in the light of the situation of both the Thessalonian and Philippians saints, and Paul himself, who were suffering persecution, torture and death for their faith. Yet joy and thankfulness was to accompany their prayers. For their hope transcended their present circumstances didn't it? Their hope being not for this life only, but lived in anticipation of the one to come.

That is true for us today too, isn't it? We have a hope which is a glorious hope, in Christ Jesus: therefore regardless of our circumstances, and the trials we may be enduring, we can look to our Saviour, the Author and Finisher of our Faith, Who endured the cross, despising the shame, and is now set down at the right hand of the Father, and we 'in Him'.

We now, look for His appearing, when we too will appear with Him in the glory that we have been made meet to inherit in our Saviour.

Praise His Holy Name!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It is now January 1st. 2019!!

May God's perfect will be done,
both in the world around us,
and in and through us,
that His Name be glorifed.

In Christ Jesus
Amen

Reactions: Nancy and Mayflower

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It is now January 1st. 2019!!

May God's perfect will be done,
both in the world around us,
and in and through us,
that His Name be glorifed.

In Christ Jesus
Amen
How the time flies... :)

May the Lord strengthen His pilgrim people in the year ahead as he spares us!

Reactions: Dave L