If God chooses us, is it a waste of time preaching to unbelievers?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Were you converted by a believer? Have you ever converted an unbeliever?
No one is "converted" by a human being, that's the job of the Holy Spirit, but from a carnal viewpoint, yes and yes.

But in response to the threads title:
14 How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written:
“How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace,
Who bring glad tidings of good things!”
Romans 10:14-15

Last edited:
Reactions: K9Buck

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've always loved Jesus so I don't know what it is like to be an unbeliever. And I do think it's a waste of time to preach to someone that has heard the gospel but still doesn't believe. I'm probably wrong on that note. But I wouldn't put a lot of effort into infidels. Perhaps just a little is required.
I loved Jesus for about 36 years or so before receiving the gospel and being born again of His Spirit. Lots of people love Jesus, the son of man, but not everyone receives Him as God. Even the Apostles were not born again until they received His Spirit at pentecost, despite some being given power to perform signs and wonders through their appointed round of Israel.

Last edited:
Reactions: K9Buck

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Yes we are to preach to all God calls us to. Why? Because He commands it. Our job is not to win souls- that is the sole job of the Holy spirit. We are just the puffed up pieces of dust God uses to get the gospel out!

Yes God knows everyone who is His. Our job is not to win th esouls but to bring in the harvest that is out there already. Or to find and bring back the lost sheep!
The Bible definitely says that it is through the preaching of the Gospel that people are drawn to Christ: "For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe" (1 Corinthians 1:21).

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible definitely says that it is through the preaching of the Gospel that people are drawn to Christ: "For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe" (1 Corinthians 1:21).

It is not the preachjing that draws, but thet Holy Spirit. the Word of God adds the content of what we are to believe, and it is the word of God that gives us the faith to believe.

the gospel is critical, but not to draw a person, that is the sole job of the Holy Spirit, using people and the woprd and ones own conscience.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Getting yourself thrown in jail for trespass is hardly serving God.

But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men's matters.

I.e. busybody in other peoples' affairs.

Being a witness of Christ by the life we live and giving an answer when asked is not getting in peoples' faces.

Especially not in the bogus realm of 'social justice'.

We are not saved and chosen and sent to save the world from itself.

What is a person who stands up for the humanity and dignity of the unborn?

Graham Preston's theme comes from Proverbs 24:11, "Rescue those being led away to death" (Proverbs 24:11). Do you support this biblical theme.? What would you have done with the Jews being slaughtered by the Nazis in World War 2?

Oz

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Matthew 28:19,20 Go, therefore, and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you. And look! I am with you all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.”

This is something Jesus said to do which would continue to be done until the last days. I don't think Jesus was telling his apostles and disciples to do something that was a waist of time

Barney,

It can be tough going. Could you please give 2 examples of how you would introduce a discussion on Christ to people?

Oz

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul explains why the gospel needs preached.

Rom 10:13 For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

Rom 10:14 How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching?

Rom 10:15 And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!”

Rom 10:17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of God