If God chooses us, is it a waste of time preaching to unbelievers?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Abaxvahl

Sep 13, 2021
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Were you converted by a believer? Have you ever converted an unbeliever?

I was helped in my conversion by believers, but I was a nominal one myself. I have never converted an unbeliever.

Two main reasons jump out as to why it is not a waste of time: (1) God commands the Church to be evangelistic, (2) just because God is the ultimate cause of all things does not negate the role of real secondary causes. It is the Lord who gives victory in battle but it was through the hand of Joshua and King David that it was obtained, they were a real secondary cause. It is the Lord who converts the soul but it was through the Four Evangelists that many were converted, they are a real secondary cause. So we should take our place in the ordering of the world that God wants and fulfill our real, and for some of us this will mean preaching to the unbelievers.

[Note: I say "some of us" because many seem to have the idea that every Christian must make this a massive part of their life, this is in fact not the case and is absurd, God gives different gifts to different folks. Some people will just never for the life of them be good at evangelism and God doesn't give them the grace to do so and they'd just do more harm than good even trying, the Church as a whole is evangelistic, not every individual member is an evangelist.]

Reactions: K9Buck

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Matthew 28:19,20 Go, therefore, and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you. And look! I am with you all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.”

This is something Jesus said to do which would continue to be done until the last days. I don't think Jesus was telling his apostles and disciples to do something that was a waist of time

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No I was not converted by a believer. No I have never converted anyone. I think unless you are an outgoing, extroverted charismatic person, it is almost an impossible task in today’s society.

No one wants anything do with Jesus. If you talk about him you are mocked and rejected. It makes it hard to deal with people. It makes it hard to be willing to share the Lord with people. I understand pearls before swine. If someone has no appreciation or respect for their maker and his word it makes it difficult to continue with that person.

It must not be a waste of time if Jesus commands it.

Reactions: K9Buck and Truman

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Mantis In the end it's the work of the 'sword of the Spirit', the word of God, right? :)

Of course but we have to deal with all of the rejection and mocking. Even if they are rejecting him, we have to deal with it. I know I am supposed to love but when I have friends mocking my "righteous path" I feel like delivering a blow to their neither regions with my boot. I have no idea how Jesus had the patience to deal with people. It almost seems like I am better off just avoiding people.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
If God chooses us, is it a waste of time preaching to unbelievers?
Notes on Providential Redemption:
  • God has provided for everyone to be redeemed.
  • Not everyone accepts God's provision of redemption.
  • Obviously people need to know they need redemption and that God has provided it.
  • Obviously God is not going to choose anyone who stubbornly refuses to receive His provision of redemption.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That would depend on whether or not the Lord leads us to preach to unbelievers, woudn't it?

I can't remember a person converting me - I think that is something the Lord did.

I'm not aware that I've converted an unbeliever, though if we set a good exampe, maybe we help convert people.

Iconoclast

Jul 27, 2021
Hoschton Ga.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God ordains the ways and the means of salvation.

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.

13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's not a waste of time to preach to unbelievers because the people who have been called by God have to hear the true gospel. They can't be made aware of that gospel if nobody is talking to them about it. I also wouldn't say it is biblical to believe someone can be converted by person because God is the One who does that:

" Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers through whom you believed, as the Lord gave to each one? I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase. So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase. " - 1 Cor. 3:6

"So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved." - Acts 2:46-47

If someone were to claim that they converted somebody, i can guarantee that they're bragging about conning somebody or twisting their arm into subscribing to a false gospel.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've always loved Jesus so I don't know what it is like to be an unbeliever. And I do think it's a waste of time to preach to someone that has heard the gospel but still doesn't believe. I'm probably wrong on that note. But I wouldn't put a lot of effort into infidels. Perhaps just a little is required.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No I was not converted by a believer. No I have never converted anyone. I think unless you are an outgoing, extroverted charismatic person, it is almost an impossible task in today’s society.

No one wants anything do with Jesus. If you talk about him you are mocked and rejected. It makes it hard to deal with people. It makes it hard to be willing to share the Lord with people. I understand pearls before swine. If someone has no appreciation or respect for their maker and his word it makes it difficult to continue with that person.

It must not be a waste of time if Jesus commands it.

Mantis,

Could it be that the church has not adequately trained its people to use apologetics to deal with people's objections to the faith? What are those objections?

How many of you are interested in engaging in provocative evangelism with slogans such as:
  • Where will you be one minute after your last breath?
  • From where did you obtain that information?
  • How reliable is the information?
Where I live, churches place NO emphasis on apologetics and little emphasis on evangelism.

There is a provocative apologist in Brisbane, Graham Preston, who holds signs on the sidewalk (we call it the footpath) in downtown Brisbane. Let's see if I can find one of them. He has spent time in jail for his protests to save unborn babies:

Graham-resumes-protest-sized-for-LSN_810_500_55_s_c1.jpg

Reactions: GEN2REV and Mantis

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Oddly enough, I was converted by a person who said he believed, but didn't continue in the faith. I have converted at least one.

The title of your thread is slightly different than the questions you asked in the body of your post.

Yes, God has chosen "us", but it is not a waste of time for at least two reasons:

1. God has chosen, but very rarely has he ever revealed beforehand who is chosen. He told Ananias that Paul was a chosen vessel. That's the only example I can think of quickly. Thus, we don't know who is chosen. It would be great if God told us: it would save a lot of time. But he doesn't.

2. Being a "witness" isn't only to save people. God gives everyone the opportunity. But some aren't going to accept it. But to God its important that they had access. So at Judgment, God doesn't want anyone to rightfully claim the never heard of Jesus.

K9Buck

Aug 18, 2020
central Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I was just suspended 30 days by Facebook for telling an atheist that they "unwittingly" follow Satan. Does that count as evangelizing? :)

Reactions: michaelvpardo

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes we are to preach to all God calls us to. Why? Because He commands it. Our job is not to win souls- that is the sole job of the Holy spirit. We are just the puffed up pieces of dust God uses to get the gospel out!

Yes God knows everyone who is His. Our job is not to win th esouls but to bring in the harvest that is out there already. Or to find and bring back the lost sheep!

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Never.

Scripture says 'be ye converted':

Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out.

But prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

This suggests we don't preach to unbelievers.

However, a preacher is sent to them who have not heard, that they may believe.

Never read where we are supposed to pray for the unbeliever either.

I don't even read 'inviting' them to church.

Much of what is called 'evangelism' is really just overzealous Christians trying to 'get people saved'.

There was also a book called 'Let's go soulwinning', which was nothing but a mechanized blueprint for local church recruitment, that ended up having less to do with winning souls and more to do with getting more numbers in the church.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I was just suspended 30 days by Facebook for telling an atheist that they "unwittingly" follow Satan. Does that count as evangelizing? :)
Now, if you had said they were wittingly following Satan, it might not have been so bad.

I just don't think they like being called stupid.

Also, I didn't know Facebook believed in God and Satan.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mantis,

Could it be that the church has not adequately trained its people to use apologetics to deal with people's objections to the faith? What are those objections?

How many of you are interested in engaging in provocative evangelism with slogans such as:
  • Where will you be one minute after your last breath?
  • From where did you obtain that information?
  • How reliable is the information?
Where I live, churches place NO emphasis on apologetics and little emphasis on evangelism.

There is a provocative apologist in Brisbane, Graham Preston, who holds signs on the sidewalk (we call it the footpath) in downtown Brisbane. Let's see if I can find one of them. He has spent time in jail for his protests to save unborn babies:

Graham-resumes-protest-sized-for-LSN_810_500_55_s_c1.jpg
Getting yourself thrown in jail for trespass is hardly serving God.

But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men's matters.

I.e. busybody in other peoples' affairs.

Being a witness of Christ by the life we live and giving an answer when asked is not getting in peoples' faces.

Especially not in the bogus realm of 'social justice'.

We are not saved and chosen and sent to save the world from itself.