If this is all christianty has

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hmmm

Act 11:15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.
Act 11:16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.
Act 11:17 Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?
You skipped Acts 2:38 too.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Am I wrong? Consider the devil quoting verses from the 91st psalm:

"Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple,
And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone." Matt 4:5-6

The devil was quoting scripture at Jesus and Jesus rebuked him quoting from Deut. 6:16:

"Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God." Matt 4:7

When the devil quoted scripture without the quickening of the Holy Spirit, it was not the Word of God. It was dead. Jesus being the Word of God, when He spoke always spoke the Word of God.

When a dyed in the wool atheist quotes scripture trying to trip up a good Christian his quotation is scripture, but it is dead. It is Not the Word of God.

When a follower of Christ, a Christian, is not in the Spirit of God and speaks from his old carnal mind, even though he quotes a scripture it is Not the Word of God. Lots of mixed messages come from that...

On this forum if you read through some of the debates you will see people citing the scriptures for diametrically opposed viewpoints based on the same scriptures. The mixed doctrines of people based on the Bible [any version or translation or language] is a primary reason why we see hundreds and even thousands of denominations in existence each claiming reliance on the scriptures yet often unable to agree on even a few essential beliefs or doctrines.

People's problem in this is that their old man is really still alive and in part he has been involved in establishing all of these differing doctrines based on the scriptures. Apostle Paul warned people to Not quench the Spirit, but people do it regularly and they teach other people to do it in their church services when they make up man's rules of order instead of really striving to allow God to have His Way...

So then you do not believe the Word of god is quick and powerful and sharper than any two edged sword? Only to just some it is?

Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

When the devil quoted scripture without the quickening of the Holy Spirit, it was not the Word of God. It was dead. Jesus being the Word of God, when He spoke always spoke the Word of God.

It is still teh Word of God no matter who speaks it. Gods Word will not return void.

When a follower of Christ, a Christian, is not in the Spirit of God and speaks from his old carnal mind, even though he quotes a scripture it is Not the Word of God. Lots of mixed messages come from that...

Wrong again ! It is still the Word of God! The word is the Word no matter who speaks it!

On this forum if you read through some of the debates you will see people citing the scriptures for diametrically opposed viewpoints based on the same scriptures. The mixed doctrines of people based on the Bible [any version or translation or language] is a primary reason why we see hundreds and even thousands of denominations in existence each claiming reliance on the scriptures yet often unable to agree on even a few essential beliefs or doctrines.

People's problem in this is that their old man is really still alive and in part he has been involved in establishing all of these differing doctrines based on the scriptures. Apostle Paul warned people to Not quench the Spirit, but people do it regularly and they teach other people to do it in their church services when they make up man's rules of order instead of really striving to allow God to have His Way...

Absolutely true! But God uses His imperfect people wielding HIs perfect Word to accomplish what He wills it to do! No one is perfect in the Word no matter how "spiritual" one thinks themselves to be. Believers can have disagreements on the same passage for thousands of reasons! It is not the Word that is wrong, but the understanding of people based on many "human factors" that cause the disagreements- but not because of Scripture!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He's also been to heaven more than once, and talked to god face to face. So he has said.

I suppose that it would be possible that this were true (see 2 Corinthians 12); if it were not for the fact that he denies the essential doctrine of Christ's Deity.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So then you do not believe the Word of god is quick and powerful and sharper than any two edged sword? Only to just some it is?

Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

It is still teh Word of God no matter who speaks it. Gods Word will not return void.

Wrong again ! It is still the Word of God! The word is the Word no matter who speaks it!

Absolutely true! But God uses His imperfect people wielding HIs perfect Word to accomplish what He wills it to do! No one is perfect in the Word no matter how "spiritual" one thinks themselves to be. Believers can have disagreements on the same passage for thousands of reasons! It is not the Word that is wrong, but the understanding of people based on many "human factors" that cause the disagreements- but not because of Scripture!
It appears to me like we are really only disagreeing in few details in which ultimately it may not matter to God. Who among us of us knows exactly how it is? God does! You may not completely understand or or agree with my explanation but God understands both of us better than we understand ourselves. We should not insist that every other person be exactly be like us... just so we all are on the approach to becoming like Him! People fight too much to get some upper hand as if one of them had it all correct. I certainly do not believe that I do, but I believe I am following Him and looking for that city whose Builder and Maker is God where the Lamb is the Light! If we follow Him closely will either one of us miss the Way?

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Considering the first post on this thread:

Its no wonder so few wil be at His wedding, and He has to send the workers to the hi ways and bi ways, because "christianity"has lost its first love, and now I can too understand why He said, when I come will I find faith upon the earth, bit like looking for a needle in the Mariana Trench
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My response:

I believe we have a lot of pastors/teachers out there who I would consider "hired men".
They are out there to bring a "tickling of the ears message".
Plus a lot of people out there don't read their bibles.
They consider themselves Christians but don't walk the walk.

Sorry for posting such a negative post early in the New Year.

Anyhow, I wish you all a great 2021. :)

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True.
I see it around me, John.
As time gets shorter and we stay close to God it is all too visible. Too many people do not realize what they have already lost and what they are losing. Night is coming! It is getting dark! But what is the work of God needing be to done while it is still day? Read the arguments and/or discussions about it on this forum. Help us dear Lord!

Reactions: Triumph1300

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It has no power, not one bit. You juts need it to, so taht you think if you quote it people must listen to you, all men need it God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit, but they have being made last and not first, men prefer their Idol to those that are true and agree. You chose your path you must walk it alone, if its not His way it is your way,

Jesus is the word of God, but according to you he has no power.
Jesus's words are eternal. Yet eternal things according to you have no power, except all eternal things are part of God.

I can see you dislike the bible and peoples regard of it, but I wonder why you have such a dislike of that for which Jesus died.
What Jesus left us with is this living testimony which over the thousands of years of its existence has driven and led our civilisation.

Obviously Gods word to you is not living and active in your heart. I have found and testify His words are light and life to my soul.
In them I find hope, love and truth. Praise God that His truth is eternal and never changes or fades.

God bless you

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Be in Him whats so hard. That bit, "My Sheep hear my voice".

Joh_15:6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned

Ironic that you reject His voice yet quote it here like it has authority.
Got to say this is total hypocrisy to say Jesus's words in scripture have no importance yet quote them like they do.

It passes a lot of christians by when you use their theology and language while denying it in the next breadth.

It is like believers who want to say Jesus meant being moral to the Jews before the cross yet afterwards it no longer matters because you are under grace and no matter how you behave you are secure in Him. It is like the spoilt brat of a dad who because they are an ambassador in a foreign country any crime cannot be prosecuted against them. Time and again God says he shows no favouritism, so behave badly suffer judgement, simple.

The problem with lying is it does not matter to the liars, only to the righteous, so speaking to the righteous like you believe it, they take it all at face value. So you can then totally corrupt it in the next sentence, and they will forgive you and not understand, because for them this is impossible.

God bless you

Reactions: tabletalk

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Ironic that you reject His voice yet quote it here like it has authority.
Again that is not what I said, is lying all you can do, we know whom the father of lies is do we not. Lies do not come from love do they??.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
It is. and will always, because it left its first love, and ran to the world. Hence all these nonsensical posts on this forum and im sure on others. When Christ is not at its center it has nothing to offer.
Well I'm being straight with you, mjr. This is a serious situation. If Christianity in general is being maligned by Christians, why in the world would the world be interested in it?

Here's my position:
1Jn 5:4-5
For whatsoever is born of God overcomes the world: and this is the victory that overcomes the world, even our faith. (5) Who is he that overcomes the world, but he that believes that Jesus is the Son of God?

Reactions: ChristisGod

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
If you only knew what the anti-Christ will be like. To give you an idea, Hitler was a forerunner of the anti-Christ, and that is not @mjrhealth. Now enough of this uncharitable talk towards your neighbor.

Scripture refers to people like him as having the same spirit of antichrist.
Who is the liar? It is whoever denies that Jesus is the Christ. Such a person is the antichrist—denying the Father and the Son.
1 John 2:22 NIV

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well I'm being straight with you, mjr. This is a serious situation. If Christianity in general is being maligned by Christians, why in the world would the world be interested in it?

Here's my position:
For whatsoever is born of God overcomes the world: and this is the victory that overcomes the world, even our faith. (5) Who is he that overcomes the world, but he that believes that Jesus is the Son of God?
I'm definitely for doing our laundry in private.
The world sees problems with what it perceives to be Christianity.
I often agree with them.
Then there are those who don't like light being shined on what they attempt to hide.
There is something I refer to as churchianity, that puts itself forth as the be all and end all of God's revelation and will.
Some call this religion, I prefer the term, "denominationalism," of which I hear there are more than 40,000.
"If the world hates you, remember that it hated me first." John 15:18 :)

Reactions: Stumpmaster

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
that is never what I said and you know it, but you will twist things to your own end, Good luck.

There is a simple principle here which simply goes right over your head.
When Jesus spoke to the apostles, they recorded it in the gospels, and we read it now. It is the same as Jesus speaking it right to us.
Now imagine Jesus appears and says the same words to you face to face. The words have not changed only the sight of seeing Jesus speak them
That is how truth works. Truth exists, whether we accept it or not. Whether wrapped in Jesus's body, spoken by the disciples of Jesus or written in scripture the words are the same.

But what is different is the heart of the listener and whether they are prepared to accept the meaning.
Jesus's message is simple. Listen, understand and put my words into action and you will have life, the Kingdom and be His friend.
Reject his words, for whatever reason and one stays lost and empty without direction or focus, doomed to the lake of fire.

Now if one says, no the words I receive in this revelation here top the words I hear there, one has left the Kingdom of God far behind.
Jesus puts his words and precepts so highly, if they dwell in our hearts we abide in Him. But not a dead words like the words themselves are the important issue, but rather their meaning and implications.

I have met people who try to memorise the words like a lucky charm, not understanding their meaning or knowing what the difference is between rebellion and repentance. One believer said when I repeat a creed because it was so fantastic, ie I understood its implied meaning and the power they represent, they claimed I was brain washed and empty, merely repeating a dead word. But what they actually meant was the word was dead to them and its meaning delusion. Unfortunately I would simply say they did not know Jesus or what was the focus in our lives. Emotionally I fully understand their meaning, when the elation of praise does not raise our spirits, so we wonder at the real meaning of the words and suggest it is just optimism and miss-understanding. But in truth, the apostles stood in Jerusalem expecting to the executed, praising God because they had met Jesus and knew He had risen from the dead, and His words spoke the truth, more stunning than any man can imagine, when the creator of the universe calls us friends. That is stunning, a wonder beyond imagination, and also unbelievably dangerous.

God bless you

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Again that is not what I said, is lying all you can do, we know whom the father of lies is do we not. Lies do not come from love do they??.

Got to say because you quote scripture and then deny it, I have no clue what you actually believe.
It is an emotional mess of positions that cannot be held together, because either faith is defined within scripture or you have another source.

If you have another source that contradicts the word of God, you are not following Jesus. There are many who do this to different degrees, normally because they were brought up in some form of faith, which they now reject, but want to hold onto some essence of faith while rejecting their past contacts. Often the positions are full of venom for the "enemy" with little justification, because it is the shadow of hurts and unforgiveness by people often long gone.

So all I can say is fundamentally I hold to scripture and how it speaks to my heart, and then those who share in alignment with Gods revealed will.

God bless you

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Here's my position:
Amen, and they are flocking to every religion you can think of, christianty to many is just another path.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
because either faith is defined within scripture or you have another source.
God.
Joh_16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
If you insist on your idol and refuse Him, I cannot be a part of Idolatry, Either Jesus is first or he is last, You choose whom you serbeve teh Bibel or Jesus , who is teh truth,

I am the way the truth and the life says the Lord. If you need to twist the truth to defend a lie it is to your own end,

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There is a simple principle here which simply goes right over your head.
There is a simple principle here. they never did, You should read about how and when and by whom the gospels where written and about all the inconsitencies, but when men create idols in there hearts its easy to ignore the truth.

Joh 5:38 And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not.
Joh 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
Joh 5:40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

Who was sent??

Teh holy Spirit to whom all who believe so He can teach them the truth. If you would rather a book than that which is alive it is your won doing, not His ,He has given us a better way, wheter men choose it or not.