If you are a Christian, do you get to pick and choose which parts of the Bible to read and believe?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Daniel Veler

Apr 17, 2021
Gulf port
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WOW! I'd never edit or black out a single letter of the bible. HUGE no no!
I hope you didn’t get that from me saying the Bible is like a puzzle. What it means is if you want to know about eternal life. You gather everything the Bible has said and formulate a picture from it. Not to pick or chose or redact.

Kaz

Apr 18, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I hope you didn’t get that from me saying the Bible is like a puzzle. What it means is if you want to know about eternal life. You gather everything the Bible has said and formulate a picture from it. Not to pick or chose or redact.
Not at all. The OP mentioned his friend crossed out stuff with a black pen. To me that's like saying God's word isn't of importance.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If you are a Christian, do you get to pick and choose which parts of the Bible to read and believe?
Without question!

Daniel Veler

Apr 17, 2021
Gulf port
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'd have to know more about what happened.

Paul wrote that there needs to be some division so it is known who is approved.

Much love!
It is written that God is not the author of confusion. Give you a good example of it. In Matthew 24 if you read the question when the apostles ask Christ when would the end be and the coming of his return. If you read the account as written and teach it as written you won’t get a clear understanding of it. Because in the book of Luke when he writes about the same thing he adds a division to the events. By saying but “before all these”. By reading both accounts you getting a clearing understanding of the events.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I choose what to read as there is no real guidelines about this. Some people read the bible from front to back. I never have. I follow a daily devotional plan with a daily reading and sometimes if I need answers to specific questions I will search until I find them. If I don't understand something I ask the Holy Spirit to show me. And even what we read seems to be open to different interpretation but I prefer to let the Holy Spirit guide me.
I do this also... I use the bible for life application... I am not interested in the in-depth studies of the history of things... Not that it is not important... my mind is just not able to comprehend a lot of information... so I focus on the New Testament... and I also read the Psalms a lot... and proverbs...

Reactions: Pearl

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just wondering how many of you pick and choose.

Friend of mine crossed out scriptures with a big fat black pen.....

Do you get to rip out the pages that are confusing, or the parts that you don’t understand?

And yet to be we are called to believe, by faith. You do? Or not?

How would you as a Christian define the Bible?

Hello Triump1300,

How interesting what you friend had done to cross out scriptures like that. Guess that is one way of taking the scripture out first hand if you desire to do that.

Would like to answer the question How would you as a Christian define the Bible?

The bible is a proclaiming of God, Creation, The Fall, and Restoration of what was lost in the Garden of Eden. Written with-in the confines of 66 books in one Book - Called the Holy bible. Which has a history and context behind it, along with the mystery about Christ Yeshua and the purpose in which He had came to earth, died for (what was lost in the fall) - Sin -> For all people, and God raised Him up for justification of overcoming the world, sin, death, hell, the grave, and Satan.

Not only is that interesting but one other thing is that the Disciples of Christ Jesus - went out to proclaim the good news, about Him and were killed for this proclaiming of such great news.

This is how my personal description of the defining of the Bible in itself. - Yes there are bibles with errors here and there -> To get the bottom of that it requires going to using a Concordance or a site like biblehub.com and looking at scripture and see what they mean in greek to get a full understanding of what some words mean and gain more wisdom from those sources in reading and trusting God, and the Lord Jesus Christ in growing in learning the word of God. - The Holy Bible.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is not just the cherry picking...
And most do not go through the Bible and cross out the scriptures they do not like.
What some do is either ignore or explain away the scripture they do not like.
And then underline the scriptures they like.
It is a sure fire way to come up with a false understanding of the Bible and Christianity.

Reactions: amadeus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I had my first class last night that I told you about. We all had to take turns reading out loud which I’m not comfortable with in the first place. But acronyms were all in it like SAMHSA...and when I came to it I was thinking ‘you got to be kidding’ my stumbling over it. Then when everyone else read out loud they stumbled over the acronyms. The teacher asked everyone to rate their stress and comfort level over the first class and everyone said about 3 or 4! On comfort. I realized real quick I wasn’t alone and that in itself was comforting.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I had my first class last night that I told you about. We all had to take turns reading out loud which I’m not comfortable with in the first place. But acronyms were all in it like SAMHSA...and when I came to it I was thinking ‘you got to be kidding’ my stumbling over it. Then when everyone else read out loud they stumbled over the acronyms. The teacher asked everyone to rate their stress and comfort level over the first class and everyone said about 3 or 4! On comfort. I realized real quick I wasn’t alone and that in itself was comforting.
Yep... It's a whole new language... LOL

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
and some are ok with the fact that they do NOT understand everything the bible states...
It is NOT a sin to NOT understand every bit of scripture...

Not every believer reads the bible for study and/or debate... some read scripture to know the person of Christ.

Reactions: amadeus

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its all a matter of priority for some. I mean it is only your soul. Then again, the early Christians only knew so much...no Bibles.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is not just the cherry picking...
And most do not go through the Bible and cross out the scriptures they do not like.
What some do is either ignore or explain away the scripture they do not like.
And then underline the scriptures they like.
It is a sure fire way to come up with a false understanding of the Bible and Christianity.

Hello Grailhunter,

Have you had someone whom you met that had done these things when you and them talked about scripture? Maybe coming up with different opinions, views, and outlooks when it came down to the word of God and looking and reading it by the context and contents provided?

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Have you had someone whom you met that had done these things when you and them talked about scripture? Maybe coming up with different opinions, views, and outlooks when it came down to the word of God and looking and reading it by the context and contents provided?
Here we go... Time for a walk.. LOL

Reactions: marks

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and some are ok with the fact that they do NOT understand everything the bible states...
It is NOT a sin to NOT understand every bit of scripture...

Not every believer reads the bible for study and/or debate... some read scripture to know the person of Christ.

Hello Addy,

Would agree with you, that there are people whom do not understand what is going on the bible, or let alone spend time to read or study the contents and context, by their own choice.

Also to your quote it is nice to discuss and see what people see, think, process information, their emotions, and feelings. All of these things are ways to get to understand a person // regardless if a person desires to study the bible, or look in and study these things which are freely given ; care and are interested in at least.

Be it the spiritual side of things, or some of the worldly things. Either or. :)

Conversating, asking questions, and learning are all part of life.