If you are a son of God, come down off the TORTURE STAKE

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
New World Translation, Matthew 27:

40 and saying: “You who would throw down the temple and build it in three days,+ save yourself! If you are a son of God, come down off the torture stake [G4716 σταυρός]!”
Thayer's Greek Lexicon:

1. an upright stake, especially a pointed one (Homer, Herodotus, Thucydides, Xenophon).
  2. a cross.
The Greek is ambiguous, New International Version:

and saying, “You who are going to destroy the temple and build it in three days, save yourself! Come down from the cross, if you are the Son of God!”
Was Jesus nailed on an I-shaped stake or a T-shaped cross?

There are clues that point to the latter. Thomas was skeptical in John 20:

25 Unless I see in His hands the imprint of the nails, and put my finger into the place of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe.”
The T-shape cross required more than one nail.

A chapter later, Jesus prophesied the manner of Peter's death in John 21:

18 Truly, truly, I say to you, when you were young, you used to dress yourself and walk wherever you wanted, but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands,
on the horizontal beam of the cross

and another will dress you and carry you where you do not want to go.” 19 (This he said to show by what kind of death he was to glorify God.) And after saying this he said to him, “Follow me.”
This is the staurogram:

r/BibleVerseCommentary - If you are a son of God, come down off the TORTURE STAKE
It is a ligature composed of a superposition of the Greek letters tau (Τ) and rho (Ρ). Some 2nd-century manuscripts used the staurogram to spell G4716.

There are also artifacts from the Shroud of Turin:

There is evidence that the body once folded in the Shroud was the victim of a Roman crucifixion. Though used as a method of execution by the Persians, the Phoenicians, the Greeks, and other societies of antiquity, crucifixion in the Roman world was distinctive in a number of ways. Flogging invariably preceded execution and was usually carried out as the condemned proceeded to the crucifixion site; the victim was made to carry his own crossbar and was tied or nailed thereto and then hoisted onto a cross; or a T-shaped frame. Evidence in the Shroud image attests to each of these traits

Lexically, σταυρός is ambiguous. However, there are some strong textual and physical evidences that point to the T-shaped cross.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
New World Translation, Matthew 27:

Thayer's Greek Lexicon:

1. an upright stake, especially a pointed one (Homer, Herodotus, Thucydides, Xenophon).
  2. a cross.
The Greek is ambiguous, New International Version:

There are clues that point to the latter. Thomas was skeptical in John 20:

The T-shape cross required more than one nail.

A chapter later, Jesus prophesied the manner of Peter's death in John 21:

on the horizontal beam of the cross

This is the staurogram:

r/BibleVerseCommentary - If you are a son of God, come down off the TORTURE STAKE
It is a ligature composed of a superposition of the Greek letters tau (Τ) and rho (Ρ). Some 2nd-century manuscripts used the staurogram to spell G4716.

There are also artifacts from the Shroud of Turin:

Lexically, σταυρός is ambiguous. However, there are some strong textual and physical evidences that point to the T-shaped cross.
What does YT mean in your username?