I'm a Christian and I support the legality of same-sex marriage

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I support freedom and personal choice. I do not want to live under a theocracy. Therefore, religious doctrine should NOT be used to regulate another's behavior, such as same-sex relations or marriage. I DO support laws that protect being victimized by another. For example, murder, assault, abortion, etc. should be ILLEGAL because they adversely affect an innocent, third-party. Same-sex marriage does not.

Frankly, the government should NOT be in the marriage "business". Why should citizens have to pay a fee to the government to get a marriage license? State governments should get OUT. Then, two consenting, competent adults can get "married" within their private organization and they can tell us everyone they're "married" and we can choose to recognize it or ignore it. Courts can continue to deal with marital issues as they are the arbitrator for all sorts of contracts, including marriage.

As well, I will remind my Christian friends that, God gave us free will to make our own choices. Who are we to restrict another's free will by imposing laws against behavior that doesn't affect us in the slightest? While we're at it, I also believe that prostitution, drug use and gambling should also be legal.
You may disagree with me but I'll defend your right to disagree with me. Shalom.

Reactions: K9Buck

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I said in my OP, stealing and murder adversely affects an innocent third-party, wherein same-sex marriage only affects the same-sex couple and they enter into voluntarily.

For the record, I personally find same-sex relations to be revolting, but I also believe in the rights of others to live their lives free of me.

If you support living under a theocracy, then let me ask you a question. How would you feel if, for instance, Muslims becoming the majority and then imposing Sharia Law on all of us?
I never said I support theocracy. I said that America’s moral laws have been historically based on biblical standards.

Now I’ll ask you a question. Do you think your opinions override God’s standards? Do you understand that we will all stand before God and be judged by Him according to HIS moral standards?

God won't only judge us on whether our behavior hurt or offended others, but His judgment will be based on whether our behavior offended HIM and in the process hurt others. He is the standard of morality, of good and bad. We are not.

Last edited:

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
As I said in my OP, stealing and murder adversely affects an innocent third-party, wherein same-sex marriage only affects the same-sex couple and they enter into voluntarily.

For the record, I personally find same-sex relations to be revolting, but I also believe in the rights of others to live their lives free of me.

If you support living under a theocracy, then let me ask you a question. How would you feel if, for instance, Muslims becoming the majority and then imposing Sharia Law on all of us?
The thought of some religious zealot telling me how to live helps me to understand how a non-believer must feel at times. Freedom of how to live one's life as long as they're not hurting others is a God-given right. Gay people also need Jesus. Shalom

Reactions: Nancy and K9Buck

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Freedom to choose is God given. Does that make poor choices right? Is it wise to support poor choices because one has the freedom to do so?
Homosexuality in all its various forms is a gross deviation from healthy relating and as such is destructive. The scripture deems it sin.
Supporting same sex marriages is supporting the enemy's agenda for relational breakdown both personally and societally.
Very well said!

Reactions: Candidus

K9Buck

Aug 18, 2020
central Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you understand that we will all stand before God and be judged by Him according to HIS moral standards?

So if Islam ever became the majority in America, you would have NO PROBLEM with the government imposing Islamic law on you and everyone else, right?

Reactions: Nancy

K9Buck

Aug 18, 2020
central Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can do whatever you want to, I guess. But that doesn't mean gays won't burn in Hell.

I'm a Christian, heterosexual, married man with two children. I don't support homosexual behavior just like I don't support jumping out of perfectly good airplanes. I simply don't believe that I should have the power to dictate to another as to how they live their lives.

Do you remember wherein Jesus commanded us to, through the force of government, make all immoral behavior illegal? Yea, me neither.

Reactions: Rita and Nancy

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I support freedom and personal choice. I do not want to live under a theocracy. Therefore, religious doctrine should NOT be used to regulate another's behavior, such as same-sex relations or marriage. I DO support laws that protect being victimized by another. For example, murder, assault, abortion, etc. should be ILLEGAL because they adversely affect an innocent, third-party. Same-sex marriage does not.

Frankly, the government should NOT be in the marriage "business". Why should citizens have to pay a fee to the government to get a marriage license? State governments should get OUT. Then, two consenting, competent adults can get "married" within their private organization and they can tell us everyone they're "married" and we can choose to recognize it or ignore it. Courts can continue to deal with marital issues as they are the arbitrator for all sorts of contracts, including marriage.

As well, I will remind my Christian friends that, God gave us free will to make our own choices. Who are we to restrict another's free will by imposing laws against behavior that doesn't affect us in the slightest? While we're at it, I also believe that prostitution, drug use and gambling should also be legal.
ok, I think that I kind of see your point now, after reading a few more of your comments.
I've often said that God does not intervene when man is about to commit a sin (rape, kidnap, genocide, etc..), because at what point does the intervention stop, eg; stealing, verbal abuse, impatience, a dirty thought, ...? Love and devotion to God must be free.
But, this is God's universe, not the governments. The government has a need to recognize God's wisdom, jurisprudence, sovereignty and supremacy, despite the fact that they never will. Meaning, God's laws still hold at any level, or rather, they are always the right judgement, adhered to or not. God does not prohibit capriciously, it is always in the best interest of others.

Homosexuality and overt perversions affects everybody. Kids are influenced, the impressionable always try to emulate the latest trend. Perversions and vices typically escalate in frequency or degree, and are insatiable. Bad behaviour invariably destroys good character, and typically, takes others with them. It is a governments job to recognize God's supremacy, and to protect their citizens from all forms of threats, physical and mental.

Last edited:
Reactions: Candidus

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The thought of some religious zealot telling me how to live helps me to understand how a non-believer must feel at times. Freedom of how to live one's life as long as they're not hurting others is a God-given right. Gay people also need Jesus. Shalom
The Bible tells us how to live.
I'm a Christian, heterosexual, married man with two children. I don't support homosexual behavior just like I don't support jumping out of perfectly good airplanes. I simply don't believe that I should have the power to dictate to another as to how they live their lives.

Do you remember wherein Jesus commanded us to, through the force of government, make all immoral behavior illegal? Yea, me neither.
I guess you should take it up with Jesus. He's the One who said "Homosexuals will not inherit the Kingdom of God".

Reactions: historyb

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No, it's a salient point.

Is it moral to get drunk? Is it moral to have pre-marital sex? Should the U.S. make those behaviors illegal?
I know what you mean but, God would have in Eden, as Moses would have to some degree in Canaan.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you please cite the verse wherein Jesus made that statement? Thanks.
1 Corinthians 6:9 (NKJV)
9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites,

K9Buck

Aug 18, 2020
central Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know what you mean but, God would have in Eden, as Moses would have to some degree in Canaan.

We may have to agree to disagree. I take it that, it's your view that, the U.S. should govern based on the Christian bible, correct?

Do you support making all immoral behavior illegal or just same-sex marriage?

Reactions: Nancy