In the beginning

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I realize this passage is the topic of many threads already, but after my grandson had to memorize it last night for his class…it caused me to revisit it.

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being. In Him was Life, and the Life was the Light of man.” John 1:1-4

My grandson stumbled over memorizing the “He was in the beginning with God” because it repeats, yea? In the beginning was the Word…yet also “He was in the beginning with God.” My grandson kept forgetting “He was in the beginning with God.” asking why the repeat of “in the beginning with God.” Because it starts with the “in the beginning was the Word”.

Some versions have “this one” or “that one” was in the beginning with God. Regardless, “this one” or “that one” is “He” …with God in the beginning.

one other thing that stood out in revisiting this passage is the:

and apart from Him nothing came into being.
John 15:5 I am the vine, you are the branches: He that abides in me, and I in him, the same brings forth much fruit: for without me you can do nothing.

John 9:32-37 Since the world began was it not heard that any man opened the eyes of one that was born blind. [33] If this man were not of God, he could do nothing. [34] They answered and said unto him, you were altogether born in sins, and do thou teach us? And they cast him out. [35] Jesus heard that they had cast him out; and when he had found him, he said unto him, Do you believe on the Son of God? [36] He answered and said, Who is he, Lord, that I might believe on him? [37] And Jesus said unto him, You have both seen him, and it is he that talks with you.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being. In Him was Life, and the Life was the Light of man.” John 1:1-4

He was in the beginning with God.

All things came into being through Him.

Apart from Him (without Me you can do nothing) nothing came into being.

He is the image of the invisible God(You have both seen him, and it is he that talks with you.), the firstborn of all creation. For by Him all things were created, [both] in the heavens and on the earth. Visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions, or rulers or authorities—all things have been created through Him and for Him.

He is (the beginning)before all things, and in Him all things hold together.
in Him all things hold together
^Acts 5:38-39 And now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought: [39] But if it be of God, you cannot overthrow it; lest haply you be found even to fight against God.

(Any doubts about who “He” is) He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead,

So that He Himself will come to have first place in everything.

For it was the [Father’s] good pleasure …through Him to reconcile all things to Himself.
Consider that “to Himself”.

For it was fitting for Him for Whom are all things, and through Whom are all things, in bringing many sons to glory, to perfect the author of their salvation through sufferings.

He Himself…likewise…
Therefore, since the children share in flesh and blood, He Himself likewise took part of the same. (Hebrews 2:9-13, and Colossians 1:15-29)

Last edited:

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I realize this passage is the topic of many threads already, but after my grandson had to memorize it last night for his class…it caused me to revisit it.

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being. In Him was Life, and the Life was the Light of man.” John 1:1-4

My grandson stumbled over memorizing the “He was in the beginning with God” because it repeats, yea? In the beginning was the Word…yet also “He was in the beginning with God.” My grandson kept forgetting “He was in the beginning with God.” asking why the repeat of “in the beginning with God.” Because it starts with the “in the beginning was the Word”.

Some versions have “this one” or “that one” was in the beginning with God. Regardless, “this one” or “that one” is “He” …with God in the beginning.

one other thing that stood out in revisiting this passage is the:

and apart from Him nothing came into being.
John 15:5 I am the vine, you are the branches: He that abides in me, and I in him, the same brings forth much fruit: for without me you can do nothing.

John 9:32-37 Since the world began was it not heard that any man opened the eyes of one that was born blind. [33] If this man were not of God, he could do nothing. [34] They answered and said unto him, you were altogether born in sins, and do thou teach us? And they cast him out. [35] Jesus heard that they had cast him out; and when he had found him, he said unto him, Do you believe on the Son of God? [36] He answered and said, Who is he, Lord, that I might believe on him? [37] And Jesus said unto him, You have both seen him, and it is he that talks with you.

The Beginning in John 1:1 was talking about creation, as well as the beginning of time. Creation was not the actual starting point there as the Word who we all know as Jesus existed with God, which a few of us know as being Jehovah. Initially Jehovah existed solely. Not anything else existed, He had no beginning which is virtually impossible for any of us to conceive. But from His quality of Love, He desired to create other living beings, the very first was the Word/Jesus Rev 3:14. At the decision to produce other creations Jn 1:1 picks up, and Jehovah the Creator, and Jesus His master craftsman set forth in creation Gen 1:1; Jn 1:1; Col 1:16

Reactions: Waiting on him

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Beginning in John 1:1 was talking about creation, as well as the beginning of time. Creation was not the actual starting point there as the Word who we all know as Jesus existed with God, which a few of us know as being Jehovah. Initially Jehovah existed solely. Not anything else existed, He had no beginning which is virtually impossible for any of us to conceive. But from His quality of Love, He desired to create other living beings, the very first was the Word/Jesus Rev 3:14. At the decision to produce other creations Jn 1:1 picks up, and Jehovah the Creator, and Jesus His master craftsman set forth in creation Gen 1:1; Jn 1:1; Col 1:16

sorry I’m not following? I can never tell whether you are agreeing or disagreeing? Mostly first) I was considering the “he” in “He was with God in the beginning.”

Second) John 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

With “without me you can do nothing.” As in “without him” was not anything made that was made…because without him, who holds all things together, apart from him…is what? Hebrews 2:10 For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.

For clarification: Who do you say the whom is in “for whom are all things, and by whom are all things,”

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
sorry I’m not following? I can never tell whether you are agreeing or disagreeing? Mostly first) I was considering the “he” in “He was with God in the beginning.”

Second) John 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

With “without me you can do nothing.” As in “without him” was not anything made that was made…because without him, who holds all things together, apart from him…is what? Hebrews 2:10 For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.

For clarification: Who do you say the whom is in “for whom are all things, and by whom are all things,”
2 Corinthians 5:17 KJV
[17] Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
John the Baptist was the first man to bare witness of this Light.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And this is the record.

Matthew 3:16 KJV
[16] And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Job 38:7 KJV
[7] When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?
Job 38:6 KJV
[6] Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;
The corner stone was placed in the first century

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Job 38:6 KJV
[6] Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;
The corner stone was placed in the first century

For [this] is contained in scripture: “Behold, I lay in Zion a choice stone, a precious corner [stone], and he who believes in Him will not be disappointed.”

makes me think of what you quoted Also “Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened?”

This Hope we have as an anchor of the soul, a [hope] both sure and steadfast and one which enters within the veil, where Jesus has entered as a forerunner having become high priest…Hebrews 6:19-21

Whereupon …are the foundations thereof fastened? I can’t think of any more fastened than “both sure and steadfast” “This Hope as an anchor” enters within the veil…where

Who laid the corner stone? where Hope of “whosoever puts their trust in Him” is fastened? Anchor…❤️

Last edited:

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Colossians 1:18 KJV
[18] And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.
This all began in the first century.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I will try to be more clear Vicky, I believe Jesus who is the Word, was the very first creation, and the only creation done exclusively by Jehovah's hands, as nothing else existed Rev 3:14. I believe that the start of everything else being created was the starting point of Jn 1:1, which is the start of the creation through Jesus' hands, which encompasses everything else other than Jesus. Col 1:16

Does that help maam?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Colossians 1:18 KJV
[18] And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.
This all began in the first century.

Now in this I fully agree sir

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I will try to be more clear Vicky, I believe Jesus who is the Word, was the very first creation, and the only creation done exclusively by Jehovah's hands, as nothing else existed Rev 3:14. I believe that the start of everything else being created was the starting point of Jn 1:1, which is the start of the creation through Jesus' hands, which encompasses everything else other than Jesus. Col 1:16

Does that help maam?

The point is: before the Spirit bodily descended and rested upon Christ as he came up out of the water …where John said “Behold, the Lamb of God” the Light of God …had the earth existed waste and void before Christ, with darkness upon the deep? Where in Genesis the Spirit of God fluttering (like a dove) moved upon the face of the water and up came forth Christ, lifted up out of the water prophetic of that which was to come, lifted up out from death into Life. Lifted up out from waste and void into: THE LIGHT? In “Let there be Light”! Darkness rested upon whom? But here, the Lamb of God, that Spirit set out of the window of the ark finds a resting place, coming to rest upon Him who The Father is well pleased.
Genesis 1:1–12: In the beginning of God’s preparing the heavens and the earth— 2the earth hath existed waste and void, and darkness is on the face of the deep, and the Spirit of God fluttering on the face of the waters.
3 And God saith, ‘Let light be;’ and light is. 4And God seeth the light that it is good, and God separateth between the light and the darkness, 5and God calleth to the light ‘Day,’ and to the darkness He hath called ‘Night;’ and there is an evening, and there is a morning—day one. (Here He separates Day and Night, Light and Darkness…having verses speaking of as not being of the Night but of the Day, not being of darkness but of The Light)
6 And God saith, ‘Let an expanse be in the midst of the waters, and let it be separating between waters and waters.’ 7And God maketh the expanse, and it separateth between the waters which are under the expanse, and the waters which are above the expanse: and it is so. 8And God calleth to the expanse ‘Heavens;’ and there is an evening, and there is a morning—day second.
9 And God saith, ‘Let the waters under the heavens be collected unto one place, and let the dry land be seen:’ and it is so. 10And God calleth to the dry land ‘Earth,’ and to the collection of the waters He hath called ‘Seas;’ and God seeth that it is good. 11And God saith, ‘Let the earth yield tender grass, herb sowing seed, fruit-tree (whose seed is in itself) making fruit after its kind, on the earth:’ and it is so. 1 Corinthians 15:34-49 Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame. [35] But some man will say, How are the dead raised up? and with what body do they come? [36] Thou fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die: [37] And that which thou sowest, thou sowest not that body that shall be, but bare grain, it may chance of wheat, or of some other grain : [38] But God giveth it a body as it hath pleased him, and to every seed his own body. [39] All flesh is not the same flesh: but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fishes, and another of birds. [40] There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another. [41] There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory. [42] So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption: [43] It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power: [44] It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body. [45] And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit. [46] Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual. [47] The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven. [48] As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly. [49] And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.

Last edited: