Indwelled by The Holy Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is being indwelled by the Holy Spirit taken on faith or evidence?

Evidence.

Life changing freedom from sin. That is the experience of being born again. The carnal nature is gone and replaced by the clean human nature that Adam was created with before he sinned, PLUS the indwelling power of the Holy Spirit to live up to each level of obedience that the Holy Spirit puts in your conscience. This is why baby Christians may do things they would never do when more mature in the Spirit.

2 Peter 1:2-11 (levels 5-7)

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I agree that we do receive ALL of God including His Spirit. I hear many speaking about receiving MORE of His Spirit throughout their walks but, since God does no only give us part of His Spirit, why do they need to be filled over and over again like a car running out of gas? I don't see it as having to keep receiving the Holy Spirit time and time again.

We are not all powerful when we receive the Holy Spirit, even though He is. With each new level of obedience, the Spirit releases to us the power needed to live up to that new level.

What you are saying is right. And 1 John 1:9 is to receive the Holy Spirit. It is not to keep sinning and using 1 John 1:9 as a get out of jail card.

Reactions: Nancy

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think I was filled with the spirit when I met Jesus. I still had a life of sin but he started working it out of me. It wasn’t all at once. I am fully convinced that I know Jesus and that I haven’t been deceived by the Devil. But I have never spoke in tongues. I have no idea what my spiritual gifts are. But I do not think speaking in tongues is for everyone as everyone has different spiritual gifts.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think I was filled with the spirit when I met Jesus. I still had a life of sin but he started working it out of me. It wasn’t all at once. I am fully convinced that I know Jesus and that I haven’t been deceived by the Devil. But I have never spoke in tongues. I have no idea what my spiritual gifts are. But I do not think speaking in tongues is for everyone as everyone has different spiritual gifts.

In Christianity there are two kinds of gifts from the Holy Spirit. Mark 16:16-18 is for all Christians for their individual use (notice no interpretation is required). Then for the "profit of all" meaning in ministry the higher gifts of 1 Corinthians 12 are given to mature Christians to whom Jesus gives offices. This is why at the end of 1 Corinthians 12 there are offices shown including receiving messages in tongues and interpretation of tongues that are NOT given to every Christian. Some people ignorantly use 1 Cor. 12:30 as proof tongues are not given to everyone. That is not true, however, like anything from God, you must have faith to operate in them. Like Cessationists, you can choose not to believe and you won't receive.

Reactions: Mantis

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Christianity there are two kinds of gifts from the Holy Spirit. Mark 16:16-18 is for all Christians for their individual use (notice no interpretation is required). Then for the "profit of all" meaning in ministry the higher gifts of 1 Corinthians 12 are given to mature Christians to whom Jesus gives offices. This is why at the end of 1 Corinthians 12 there are offices shown including receiving messages in tongues and interpretation of tongues that are NOT given to every Christian. Some people ignorantly use 1 Cor. 12:30 as proof tongues are not given to everyone. That is not true, however, like anything from God, you must have faith to operate in them. Like Cessationists, you can choose not to believe and you won't receive.
16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18 they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well.”

Well I think that means speaking in different languages to share the gospel. I have read testimonies of that exact thing happening. I haven’t experienced anything on that list. Does that mean I am not a Christian? I believe and have been baptized. I spoke to the Jesus himself. Maybe it is just a matter of time before these things manifest?

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18 they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well.”

Well I think that means speaking in different languages to share the gospel. I have read testimonies of that exact thing happening. I haven’t experienced anything on that list. Does that mean I am not a Christian? I believe and have been baptized. I spoke to the Jesus himself. Maybe it is just a matter of time before these things manifest?
Hello brother,
I know that 1st Century Lady is very big on tongues as "evidence" of our salvation. Although I love my sister, this teaching that ALL must speak in tongues as evidence of salvation, I see a changed heart and life as evidence myself but, that's just me- (I too believe it is a real language)- has had me doubting allot over the last several years but, God did calm me down where it is concerned. I cannot see Him tossing us out because of that. Can't imagine God saying" Go to hell, you did NOT speak in tongues!
I suppose we could "fake it "like so many do...me included with family and friends in 1991 because we wanted to "fit in", they tried "teaching us" how to speak in tongues! :oops:
Bottom line, do not let this diminish your faith brother.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know that 1st Century Lady is very big on tongues as "evidence" of our salvation.

Nancy, I'm shocked! You know me better than that! You have NEVER heard me teach that. In fact, I have said that tongues is NOT the evidence of salvation.

I believe that freedom from the sin nature is the EVIDENCE! And you know that as many times as we've talked.

What I said is that tongues is given to all who believe because Mark 16:16-18 says so, but you still need to believe they are not of the devil to operate in them as is the common teaching today. Also what scripture says about them. It takes faith, not unbelief.

You and Mantis need to read the scriptural rule about whether tongues is understood or not WITHOUT the supernatural gift of interpretation. Read 1 Corinthians 14:2
2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries. Mantis, just as people believe the people were speaking those other languages in Acts 2, as Nancy seems to too, so you believe the stories, the truth is they were given the interpretation of tongues, or it was a miracle, but not the gift of speaking in tongues. No one including yourself can understand either gift of tongues. The Word of God is our foundation on what we should believe, not personal misinterpretation.

cc: @Mantis

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nancy, I'm shocked! You know me better than that! You have NEVER heard me teach that. In fact, I have said that tongues is NOT the evidence of salvation.

I believe that freedom from the sin nature is the EVIDENCE! And you know that as many times as we've talked.

What I said is that tongues is given to all who believe because Mark 16:16-18 says so, but you still need to believe they are not of the devil to operate in them as is the common teaching today. Also what scripture says about them. It takes faith, not unbelief.

You and Mantis need to read the scriptural rule about whether tongues is understood or not WITHOUT the supernatural gift of interpretation. Read 1 Corinthians 14:2
2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries. Mantis, just as people believe the people were speaking those other languages in Acts 2, as Nancy seems to too, so you believe the stories, the truth is they were given the interpretation of tongues, or it was a miracle, but not the gift of speaking in tongues. No one including yourself can understand either gift of tongues. The Word of God is our foundation on what we should believe, not personal misinterpretation.

cc: @Mantis
I'm sorry if I offended you sister, I honestly did believe you believed that this was THE evidence of being born again.
Please, in no way do I think biblical tongues is of the devil! I have family members who use tongues as a "prayer language"! I would never discount their experience and, yes, it IS a faith thing and, realizing this, it's time perhaps, to once again to pray for this gift.
Yes, I'm aware of your stance on the "sin nature".
I never want to offend you sister, I love you!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello brother,
I know that 1st Century Lady is very big on tongues as "evidence" of our salvation. Although I love my sister, this teaching that ALL must speak in tongues as evidence of salvation, I see a changed heart and life as evidence myself but, that's just me- (I too believe it is a real language)- has had me doubting allot over the last several years but, God did calm me down where it is concerned. I cannot see Him tossing us out because of that. Can't imagine God saying" Go to hell, you did NOT speak in tongues!
I suppose we could "fake it "like so many do...me included with family and friends in 1991 because we wanted to "fit in", they tried "teaching us" how to speak in tongues! :oops:
I did speak with the tongues at the baptism of the HOLY GHOST .
But i also know that just cause a person does not , that does not mean they are not saved .
Even paul said IS EVERYONE a prophet , does everyone speak with tongues , does ,
NO , different gifts are spead amongst the body . ITS GOD WHO WORKETH THEM ALL
and no one man or woman is gonna have ALL the gifts . TIS SPREAD AMONGST THE BODY for the EDIFICATION OF SAID BODY .

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sorry if I offended you sister, I honestly did believe you believed that this was THE evidence of being born again.
Please, in no way do I think biblical tongues is of the devil! I have family members who use tongues as a "prayer language"! I would never discount their experience and, yes, it IS a faith thing and, realizing this, it's time perhaps, to once again to pray for this gift.
Yes, I'm aware of your stance on the "sin nature".
I never want to offend you sister, I love you!

I've told you many times that tongues is not the "evidence," that freedom from sin is, so why you would contradict me is weird.

If you will see in Mark 16 that there is no interpretation of tongues is listed, making this a one way TO God ability. Therefore it IS a prayer and praise language to God created by the Holy Spirit. Perfect prayer. Perfect praise. It is not for us to know what we are saying, but you can ask for the interpretation. Why would Paul tell us to pray for the interpretation if it was understood by those hearing? Think, girl!

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello brother,
Read my post #24 which is before this post #29.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, do you believe we have His Spirit through faith or evidence or both??
Thanks for any reply's.
  • "Through faith" would imply that the answer is: God knows.
  • While "Through evidence" would imply that the answer is: People know (by ones actions).
This is the result of belief or unbelief--that is, since the scriptures say that being saved, "old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new" (past tense), one either believes it going forward or not...regardless of what people see or think they see or don't see. People's observation means nothing to the reality of what God has done. That is not what James was at all referring to by saying "faith without works is dead." But rather, that one can know he is saved by the change in himself that would naturally result in good works. One is cause, while the other is effect--they are not one and the same.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've told you many times that tongues is not the "evidence," that freedom from sin is, so why you would contradict me is weird.

If you will see in Mark 16 that there is no interpretation of tongues is listed, making this a one way TO God ability. Therefore it IS a prayer and praise language to God created by the Holy Spirit. Perfect prayer. Perfect praise. It is not for us to know what we are saying, but you can ask for the interpretation. Why would Paul tell us to pray for the interpretation if it was understood by those hearing? Think, girl!
Again sister I am sorry, please forgive me. My mind is not quite peak and I should probably even back off of this site for some prayer time in it's place for a bit.

Reactions: GracefulWarrior

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again sister I am sorry, please forgive me. My mind is not quite peak and I should probably even back off of this site for some prayer time in it's place for a bit.

I'm sorry I over-reacted. That doctrine of Pentecostals is one I hate. It was extremely embarrassing for me to be labelled as such. But, I doubt if you'll make that mistake again, huh? LOL