Inevitably Two Masters

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Apology accepted...now as to what you are trying to say is that if we covet money then that becomes our master (God)....and when we put God above the riches of the world then we make Him our master....
And He will Bless those who are faithful in his blessings to not covet them.

Bartholomew Jones

Nov 6, 2020
Uniontown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Apology accepted...now as to what you are trying to say is that if we covet money then that becomes our master (God)....and when we put God above the riches of the world then we make Him our master....
And He will Bless those who are faithful in his blessings to not covet them.
I'll have to ponder that some more. The story doesn't suggest that to me.

Bartholomew Jones

Nov 6, 2020
Uniontown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How about instead you explain your OP
Everything we say about a passage has textual information before and after it, has an immediate and absolute audience, a setting, a particular voice, etc. all of which should reflect how we read and especially comment on a passage.

Bartholomew Jones

Nov 6, 2020
Uniontown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll have to ponder that some more. The story doesn't suggest that to me.
So to begin, there's a story (parable) preceding the verse. Then Jesus tells the reader the intention of the story, that being, that there's one good use for money ("the unrighteous mammon"): that one good use being making friends...(to be continued)

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luk 16:9 And I say unto you, Make to yourselves friends of the mammon of unrighteousness; that, when ye fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations.
Luk 16:10 He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much.
Luk 16:11 If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches?
Luk 16:12 And if ye have not been faithful in that which is another man's, who shall give you that which is your own?
Luk 16:13 No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

When you fail... have your money save you, or buy yourself out..
you make friends with unrighteousness, you can live with them in their destination..

I hear sarcasm..

Hugs

Reactions: Nancy

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luk 16:9 And I say unto you, Make to yourselves friends of the mammon of unrighteousness; that, when ye fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations.
Luk 16:10 He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much.
Luk 16:11 If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches?
Luk 16:12 And if ye have not been faithful in that which is another man's, who shall give you that which is your own?
Luk 16:13 No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

When you fail... have your money save you, or buy yourself out..
you make friends with unrighteousness, you can live with them in their destination..

I hear sarcasm..

Hugs
Here is what Jesus said...
And he said also unto his disciples, There was a certain rich man, which had a steward; and the same was accused unto him that he had wasted his goods.

So this stewards master found out that he wasted what he was trusted with...

2. And he called him, and said unto him, How is it that I hear this of thee? give an account of thy stewardship; for thou mayest be no longer steward.
³ Then the steward said within himself, What shall I do? for my lord taketh away from me the stewardship: I cannot dig; to beg I am ashamed.

So this steward knows he is in deep trouble
So here is how he remedies it...

⁴ I am resolved what to do, that, when I am put out of the stewardship, they may receive me into their houses.
⁵ So he called every one of his lord's debtors unto him, and said unto the first, How much owest thou unto my lord?
⁶ And he said, An hundred measures of oil. And he said unto him, Take thy bill, and sit down quickly, and write fifty.
⁷ Then said he to another, And how much owest thou? And he said, An hundred measures of wheat. And he said unto him, Take thy bill, and write fourscore.

The steward amends everyone's debts....and in the next verse his lord praises his actions..

⁸ And the lord commended the unjust steward, because he had done wisely: for the children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light.

Then Jesus says.....
9. And I say unto you, Make to yourselves friends of the mammon of unrighteousness; that, when ye fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations.
¹⁰ He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much.
¹¹ If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches?
¹² And if ye have not been faithful in that which is another man's, who shall give you that which is your own?
¹³ No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So the parable is concerning Israel and they are the stewards of Jerusalem or the Kingdom of God.
They are abusing their authority by treating their citizens badly.
They are going to lose that authority and are looking for a way to save their arse.
So they go to the world and make a deal, so in the end when they get thrown out they have a place to go.

They refuse to ask for forgiveness and are going to try to "work" their way out of debt.

So he shows a little mercy to the one's who owe him..
meaning the Lord will show him little mercy.
If he had forgiven them their debts... then his debt would be forgiven.
Howbeit he will still need to work and work and work.. and never find peace.

Money can't buy you Love.

Wait...
The rich man is the lord...
He has people that owe him debts.
The steward goes out and reduces the debts owed to the lord...

who's losing here... the steward or the lord??

so he know's he's getting kicked out.. no doubt about it.
He's going to make friends in the meantime so he isn't living on the street.

But he just ripped off the boss man again, by reducing the debts owed to him.

what a piece o work..

(I'm sitting here smh.. lol..)

Give me your ears.. :)

Hugs

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So the parable is concerning Israel and they are the stewards of Jerusalem or the Kingdom of God.
They are abusing their authority by treating their citizens badly.
They are going to lose that authority and are looking for a way to save their arse.
So they go to the world and make a deal, so in the end when they get thrown out they have a place to go.

They refuse to ask for forgiveness and are going to try to "work" their way out of debt.

So he shows a little mercy to the one's who owe him..
meaning the Lord will show him little mercy.
If he had forgiven them their debts... then his debt would be forgiven.
Howbeit he will still need to work and work and work.. and never find peace.

Money can't buy you Love.

Wait...
The rich man is the lord...
He has people that owe him debts.
The steward goes out and reduces the debts owed to the lord...

who's losing here... the steward or the lord??

so he know's he's getting kicked out.. no doubt about it.
He's going to make friends in the meantime so he isn't living on the street.

But he just ripped off the boss man again, by reducing the debts owed to him.

what a piece o work..

(I'm sitting here smh.. lol..)

Give me your ears.. :)

Hugs
He is the steward...that's his job...to oversee the masters business.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Mammon is Aramaic for 'riches'.

There is a question asked by the Lord in verse 9, which is not clear by the wording -

'And I say unto you, (that is - 'say I unto you?') - make to yourselves friends of the mammon of unrighteousness; that, when ye fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations.' (No! I say) - He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much. If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches.'
(Luke 16:9-11)

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
'Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world.
If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
For all that is in the world,
the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life,
is not of the Father, but is of the world.
And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof:
but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.'
(1John 2:15-17)

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi @Bartholomew Jones,

@farouk mentioned the riches held by the church, to which you responded with a note of disparagement. I understand your reaction, but if the money they have is used to the glory of God, and to maintain the ministry that they are engaged on in His Name at home and on the mission field, then surely that is the faithful administration of money donated to the service of God and should therefore not be despised. For the workman is worthy of his hire, and those who are engaged in the Lord's work have to be paid for the work that they do, for they have to live and support their families just as you and I do.

May they faithfully make known the unsearchable riches of Christ, like the Apostle Paul, which are 'true riches' indeed. Who maintained his own ministry by the work of his own hands, as a tentmaker, but was thankful for the gifts presented to him by faithful brethren who sought to support him.

Just thoughts.
Within the love of Christ
Our risen and glorified
Saviour, Lord and Head.
Chris