Instruction in righteousness

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
See why I'm confused! If the outer man and Old Man are the same thing, how can you crucify what is already dead? So it appears that you do not consider them to be the same. Anyway that was my last attempt to clarify this. I will just have to let this go for now, I guess.

It's pretense. Paul writes about the outer man/old man with reference to Moses. The old understanding that passed away with the testimony of Jesus.

The flesh is what he is talking about-- Read the chapters leading up to 2 Cor 4 and don't be deceived by psychobabbylon (I know you are not). It's not a free sample that is given, it's a downpayment. A taste of what is to come.

Like a baby conceived within you that grows in maturity. Spirit gives birth to spirit. The container cannot contain it.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
See why I'm confused! If the outer man and Old Man are the same thing, how can you crucify what is already dead? So it appears that you do not consider them to be the same. Anyway that was my last attempt to clarify this. I will just have to let this go for now, I guess.
Not at all. I see the Old Man as one that is "undisturbed" by the light of God at regeneration. We go from darkness to light in an INITIAL grace. We go from Romans 6 to Romans 7 in this way. Yet there is still the sin factory to deal with. To go from Romans 7 to 8 requires the operation of God that crucifies the flesh nature of the outer man to empower the inner man into the walk that is in Christ...in the POWER of HIS resurrection. :)

Last edited:

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was planning a podcast on that very chapter....called "Paul's manifesto!" Good call!
Looking forward to it, especially how you handle "those who are perfect..." From what I am coming to understand there is a maturity in the faith that we reach, a completeness, a contentment, which underlines the meaning of the word perfect.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Wynona! I don't think we get a chance to exchange ideas too often! :)

The Light from heaven EXPOSES us...otherwise we would never repent. So then a doctrine that has God covering up our sins is not one that is based on the light of God.

God is the one that crucifies our outer man...as we surrender fully to Him. He chooses what He will do with us...whether we are ready or not for the higher walk in the Spirit. He "vets" us when He is pleased with our attitude of contrition.

When we are permitted to enter into Christ in a personal way, then the righteousness of God covers us as an anointing. From there we reflect His righteousness (in holiness) to the world around us.

Peace to you.....and I think the dust has settled on this thread. :) And thank you from stopping in!

<><
Hi Epi,
On a second reading here, I must disagree when you say it is God who crucifies our flesh, or "outer man". How would you then interpret:

Galatians 5:24 "Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires."

This sounds to me that it is something we ourselves have to do. And, as we surrender more and more to Him, He helps our weaknesses.

I do believe we simply cannot do this in our own strength so, Holy Spirit comes to truly save the day!!

Reactions: Wynona

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
….?
You disagree that it’s God who does it.
Then you say it sounds like you are the one who has to do it.
Then you say, we simply can NOT do it in our own strength…
Youre fighting yourself there.
@Nancy

Last edited:

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
….?
You disagree that it’s God who does it.
Then you say it sounds like you are the one who has to do it.
Then you say, we simply can NOT do it in our own strength…
Youre fighting yourself there.
@Nancy
Basically, it's us who need to surrender or, empty ourselves so we can choose to give Him everything and He will strengthen us or, give us a way out of temptation so we sin less and less as He shows us...ourselves. All in relation to how much we are willing to let go. JM2C

Reactions: Keturah and marks

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Heres a man who says he has actually walked in the Spirit and no one is even curious. Have you ever met a man who has done that?

Holiness, walking in the Spirit and not sinning at all - it’s a PLACE. It’s where God is. And there is no sin there, not a speck.
Aah sinless perfection and those who have obtained it. Let's listen to them.

7 But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.
8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1

1 My little children, I write these things to you so that you do not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.
2 And He is the propitiation concerning our sins, and not concerning ours only, but also concerning the sins of all the world. 1 John 2

• Love
Reactions: Keturah and Mr E

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Boxing analogies aside, do you think God sees us as righteous as He is because we believe Him?
What does the Word of God say? Yes God deems the believer who is IN CHRIST to be as righteous as God. Don't you care what the Bible actually says?

For He [God the Father] hath made Him [Christ] to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him [in Christ]. (2 Cor 5:21)

The meaning is quite clear. Those who are in Christ are deemed to be as righteous as God. Because God IMPUTES righteousness to the one who repents and believes on the Lord Jesus Christ. Romans chapter 4 makes this crystal clear. Just as Abraham's faith was counted, or reckoned, or imputed for righteousness, all those who are "children of Abraham" through faith are deemed to be righteous (Gal 3:7).

Now you have been propagandizing against this for quite some time, since you have concocted your own theology. But any Christian who accepts the Bible for what it says know that your theology is fraudulent.

BEWARE OF FALSE TEACHERS.

Reactions: Keturah

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Looking forward to it, especially how you handle "those who are perfect..." From what I am coming to understand there is a maturity in the faith that we reach, a completeness, a contentment, which underlines the meaning of the word perfect.
Amen! We can put on the perfection of Christ to walk as He walked. In Him is no sin.

Col. 2:10 And you are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:
11 In whom also you are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:

Last edited:

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Basically, it's us who need to surrender or, empty ourselves so we can choose to give Him everything and He will strengthen us or, give us a way out of temptation so we sin less and less as He shows us...ourselves. All in relation to how much we are willing to let go. JM2C
Oh okay. That wasn’t my experience so I can’t speak to it. But you go how He leads you.

With me, I could get pretty far in resolving to do this and that but then I would always fail in my resolving to. I was just too weak. It wasn’t until He did whatever it is He did to my passions that even made me able to surrender my own will or made me even want to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh okay. That wasn’t my experience so I can’t speak to it. But you go how He leads you.

With me, I could get pretty far in resolving to do this and that but then I would always fail in my resolving to. I was just too weak. It wasn’t until He did whatever it is He did to my passions that even made me able to surrender my own will or made even want to.
Thank you, Father, for giving good gifts!

What did you have to do to earn that gift?

And what of those of us to whom God does not give the gift of subdued passions?

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You are always so irascible, grumpy! You sure did make sure to say gift enough times that I wouldn’t miss it!

So…you are maybe thinking it is a spiritual gift that’s not for everybody to have your flesh put under you? is that the point you were wanting to make?

Reactions: Lambano

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It's pretense. Paul writes about the outer man/old man with reference to Moses. The old understanding that passed away with the testimony of Jesus.
?
The flesh is what he is talking about-- Read the chapters leading up to 2 Cor 4 and don't be deceived by psychobabbylon (I know you are not). It's not a free sample that is given, it's a downpayment. A taste of what is to come.
An "aravon" is indeed a downpayment of sorts. The rest is only given when the appropriate conditions are met. Who is doing the purchasing? God purchases the free sample for us and MAKES AVAILABLE THE FULL MEASURE...but we must be the ones who pay to receive that full measure. We have to let something go before receiving the fulness of the promise. And so very few are willing to let go of what they have to get what can only come from the Lord. I find it amazing that multiple bible verses that negate what you are saying have NO sway whatsoever on your entrenched (in the religious outer man) way of thinking.

Who is to purchase the riches that are in Christ? Look at Rev. 3, or Mat. 25. Look even at the parables...the pearl of great price (not the pearl of great bargain). Would you listen to Jesus? Even if it made you wrong in your assumptions?

Like a baby conceived within you that grows in maturity. Spirit gives birth to spirit. The container cannot contain it.
Not so much. The container indeed contains and controls it until the power of the cross comes to bear to break it and allow what is growing inside to come out. The outer man is a husk that limits (buries) the talent of grace that is sown in the inner man. It is only as the husk is broken that the life of the seed of Christ sown within can come out into the world and bear an eternal fruit. The parable of the talents shows that those who receive an initial grace will be tempted to keep it buried in the outer man...by NOT going to the cross to pay the price for the talent to do its work. Those who have understood God's way in Christ...and the power thereof, will go on to produce more fruit. But the ones who live FROM the outer man (with the free sample remaining buried until judgment day) will be seen as unprofitable (even wicked) since they lived only for themselves in the face of the high cost of redemption. If our Master paid all...what is our response? Just saying "thank you"....or also going to the cross to bear eternal fruit? There is a reason why we were purchased...and that's not to be uplifted in our own sensibilities.

The flesh wars against the Spirit and the Spirit wars against the flesh. You would do well to see which side of the equation you are engaging in.

Last edited:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi Epi,
On a second reading here, I must disagree when you say it is God who crucifies our flesh, or "outer man". How would you then interpret:

Galatians 5:24 "Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires."

This sounds to me that it is something we ourselves have to do. And, as we surrender more and more to Him, He helps our weaknesses.

I do believe we simply cannot do this in our own strength so, Holy Spirit comes to truly save the day!!
This has to do with the way the bible has been translated. A little word here and there can change the meaning. Those who are Christ's have the flesh crucified (Or...have been crucified in the flesh). It doesn't say that we crucify ourselves.

No one can crucify themselves. Did Jesus crucify Himself? Does He expect us to do what He couldn't do? No, we are to carry OUR cross....as He did...to the place where we are crucified.

It is God who then crucifies us. As an act of grace. It's also called the circumcision of Christ.

Why was Jesus crucified? He went first.

We are to follow Him in being separated from OUR life in order to be raised into life through Him INTO His resurrection life.

Reactions: Nancy

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What does the Word of God say? Yes God deems the believer who is IN CHRIST to be as righteous as God. Don't you care what the Bible actually says?
Aha! At last someone who admits that light covers up darkness. We can always count on @Enoch111 to make outrageous and irrational claims based on religious misreadings of the bible! ;)
No one is as righteous as God. That's not the purpose of the anointing of Christ. It is a silly notion and based on a religious reasoning that goes against any other kind of reasoning...certainly nothing to do with the truth. .

For He [God the Father] hath made Him [Christ] to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him [in Christ]. (2 Cor 5:21)
The key here is "in Him". We are to REFLECT God's righteousness in the world. We are not a source of righteousness...but we are to REFLECT His righteousness in the world. We are as the moon not the sun. The sun IMPARTS (not imputes) its light to the moon to reflect light to the earth. (The Catholic idea is correct and the Protestant view is in error on this)

This is so obvious that I think Enoch will quietly alter his view on this....very quietly!;)

The meaning is quite clear. Those who are in Christ are deemed to be as righteous as God.
There it is again! A bad understanding based on a misreading of the bible. Happens so much!

Because God IMPUTES righteousness to the one who repents and believes on the Lord Jesus Christ.
Sure, just like Abraham. But that's not the righteousness of God...it is human righteousness. Can we impute the light of the sun to the moon? No, we impute the reflected light from the moon TO the sun. So that the source is not the moon but the sun. You are making righteousness to come from people...NOT God. Way to get things exactly backwards! Paul says that he has NO righteousness...he is NOT the source of any righteousness. But rather He surrenders to God in order to reflect HIS righteousness in the world.

We are to go from being an independent source of light to being a slave of Christ that reflects HIS light.

Romans chapter 4 makes this crystal clear. Just as Abraham's faith was counted, or reckoned, or imputed for righteousness, all those who are "children of Abraham" through faith are deemed to be righteous (Gal 3:7).
Sure. But this doesn't mean that people can declare themselves righteous...that's self-righteousness. Abraham never declared himself as being righteous. God did. You can argue how righteous you are all day long...it doesn't make it true. The standard for faith in God's sight is with God...never with us. We are too tainted with sin and selfishness to judge ourselves in any eternal measure. We are to wait on the Lord for HIS approbation and confirmation.

Now you have been propagandizing against this for quite some time, since you have concocted your own theology. But any Christian who accepts the Bible for what it says know that your theology is fraudulent.

BEWARE OF FALSE TEACHERS.
Exactly. Who will believe that Enoch111 is as righteous as God? Only him. ;)

Does that not make him the very false teacher he is advocating against?

But religious people...who have let go of common reasoning...will agree with a religious assessment no matter how false it may be.

So then in conclusion. I say that no man/woman is as righteous as God. @Enoch111 says that he...and whoever agrees with his lofty claims about himself...is indeed as righteous as God.

See, how a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing?

Last edited:

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

As time goes on, my "passions", or "emotions" can be over the edge...with myself not another. The crying thing which comes immediately after a breakdown can be deeply sorrowful. It has this hold on me that will not break :( I can surrender it to Christ everyday and every morning it is there still, no matter how I plead for Him to kill it. I causes me to sin (at least, I think it is sin) in ways that hurt myself after the dust settles. Oh how having a calm, gentle spirit must be like!!! That's been a huge prayer of mine but, He is silent there and we KNOW he does not always "change" us in some ways.
We all have our issues, I know and it is the cross we have to bare every moment.
God bless you bro, good to see you on site!

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
?

An "aravon" is indeed a downpayment of sorts. The rest is only given when the appropriate conditions are met. Who is doing the purchasing? God purchases the free sample for us and MAKES AVAILABLE THE FULL MEASURE...but we must be the ones who pay to receive that full measure. We have to let something go before receiving the fulness of the promise. And so very few are willing to let go of what they have to get what can only come from the Lord. I find it amazing that multiple bible verses that negate what you are saying have NO sway whatsoever on your entrenched (in the religious outer man) way of thinking.

Who is to purchase the riches that are in Christ? Look at Rev. 3, or Mat. 25. Look even at the parables...the pearl of great price (not the pearl of great bargain). Would you listen to Jesus? Even if it made you wrong in your assumptions?

Not so much. The container indeed contains and controls it until the power of the cross comes to bear to break it and allow what is growing inside to come out. The outer man is a husk that limits (buries) the talent of grace that is sown in the inner man. It is only as the husk is broken that the life of the seed of Christ sown within can come out into the world and bear an eternal fruit. The parable of the talents shows that those who receive an initial grace will be tempted to keep it buried in the outer man...by NOT going to the cross to pay the price for the talent to do its work. Those who have understood God's way in Christ...and the power thereof, will go on to produce more fruit. But the ones who live FROM the outer man (with the free sample remaining buried until judgment day) will be seen as unprofitable (even wicked) since they lived only for themselves in the face of the high cost of redemption. If our Master paid all...what is our response? Just saying "thank you"....or also going to the cross to bear eternal fruit? There is a reason why we were purchased...and that's not to be uplifted in our own sensibilities.

The flesh wars against the Spirit and the Spirit wars against the flesh. You would do well to see which side of the equation you are engaging in.

A couple of things. It's increasingly clear that you don't want discussion. You only want agreement. You strive for the little thumbs up and it grates on your soul when anyone brings a perspective that doesn't harmonize with your twistings. To be your friend, or to even dialogue with you, one must dance YOUR dance?

You marginalize yourself and negate the things you harp on concerning humility and ego.

I know you know how to use the quote feature. You use it when quoting anyone willing to blow smoke up your robe. But then, you suddenly forget how it works when quoting someone who disagrees-- wouldn't want the system to send them a notification that they are being quoted? You would much rather counter and posture and pontificate, rather than have an actual discussion. This too, puts your inflated ego on full display.

I'll address your points, but this had to be said. You are disingenuous and discourteous with this practice.

Reactions: Keturah