Is “Easter” in the original Scriptures?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dan Clarkston

Dec 16, 2023
Denver Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus rising from the grave didn't come from a pagan ritual. It comes from the Bible.

Yes, and "easter" did not come from Jesus being raised from the dead, it came from pagan rituals / witchcraft.

Jesus being raised from the dead is His Resurrection aka Passover.

This is why many churches call it Resurrection Sunday, which they do as to not be associated with the pagan celebration of "easter" because Christians are not pagans.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What was finished? What did Christ mean when he said that?
His mission was completed and his imminent death would release mankind from Adamic sin and its consequences….that is what was “finished”.
What lay ahead for his disciples was by no means “finished”…it had only begun. (John 15:18-21)

That is the foretold "lie" that was believed, now responsible for "strong delusion."

Unfortunately, those who don't know, don't know what they don't know.

TheHC

Jun 22, 2021
Columbus
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those things are true in this world, but not in Christ.

In Christ "It is finished", and that chasm now crossed guarded with flaming swords, lies between the things of this world and those who are His.
Do you think that everyone saying, they “are His”, that Christ accepts them?
Please read Matthew 7:21-23.

Obedience is prime! — John 14:15; John 15:14

Yes, Jesus “conquered the world”, through his obedience to God. We still have to. — Matthew 24:13; Philippians 3:13,14.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, and "easter" did not come from Jesus being raised from the dead, it came from pagan rituals / witchcraft.

Jesus being raised from the dead is His Resurrection aka Passover.

This is why many churches call it Resurrection Sunday, which they do as to not be associated with the pagan celebration of "easter" because Christians are not pagans.
I don't think Christians should be forbidden to use the word "Easter" just because many centuries ago, it had a different meaning than it does today.

NayborBear

Jan 21, 2020
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The same cooptation occurred on former pagan worship sites.

The church errected cathedrals over those land spaces to overcome the pagan tradition. An so that pagan converts, often so under threat of death, would have a familiar place to journey to for services.

There are pagan root trough al the Christian faith and practice today. Even the secular calendar of days are named after again deity.
Thing that really chaffs my hide (besides a flame being so tall)?
Is that "easter" is Only Mentioned ONCED in the Bible!
And yet?.............
Just goes to show how far pagans have spread this "tradition" to make VOID the Word of God! :mad:

Jericho

Aug 10, 2023
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All I know is that when I celebrate Easter, I'm not worshiping Ishtar, the Easter Bunny, or anything else except Jesus. Prior to Christianity, the cross was also a pagan symbol, but we appropriated it and made it our own. I have no trouble doing the same with Easter.

Reactions: Duck Muscles

Dan Clarkston

Dec 16, 2023
Denver Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think Christians should be forbidden to use the word "Easter" just because many centuries ago, it had a different meaning than it does today.

Easter is still being celebrated today by witches and new agers as they celebrate Eostre, goddess of Spring, otherwise known as Ostara, Austra, and Eastre. One of the most revered aspects of Ostara for both ancient and modern observers is a spirit of renewal.

Celebrated at Spring Equinox on March 21, Ostara marks the day when light is equal to darkness, and will continue to grow. As the bringer of light after a long dark winter, the goddess was often depicted with the hare, an animal that represents the arrival of spring as well as the fertility of the season. (that's where their easter bunny came in)

This is what easter mean and where it came from. God is not involved in this and never calls Jesus being raised from the dead as being easter.

Using the word easter is similar to using the word gay both describe something evil which Christians are called to be separated from

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Easter is still being celebrated today by witches and new agers as they celebrate Eostre, goddess of Spring, otherwise known as Ostara, Austra, and Eastre. One of the most revered aspects of Ostara for both ancient and modern observers is a spirit of renewal.

Celebrated at Spring Equinox on March 21, Ostara marks the day when light is equal to darkness, and will continue to grow. As the bringer of light after a long dark winter, the goddess was often depicted with the hare, an animal that represents the arrival of spring as well as the fertility of the season. (that's where their easter bunny came in)

This is what easter mean and where it came from. God is not involved in this and never calls Jesus being raised from the dead as being easter.

Using the word easter is similar to using the word gay both describe something evil which Christians are called to be separated from
Just because a witch celebrates Easter for some other reason doesn't mean I can't celebrate it for Jesus rising from the dead.

Dan Clarkston

Dec 16, 2023
Denver Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just because a witch celebrates Easter for some other reason doesn't mean I can't celebrate it for Jesus rising from the dead.

Do you do the same thing with the word gay and go around telling people you are so gay?

Even though that word originally meant to be happy, if you use that word today they will think you are homosexual.

God does not call the resurrection easter so those being led by the Holy Spirit won't call it easter either.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Kind of a mixed message there.

Much love!
Not a mixed message at all if you understand the balance it implies in scripture.
“faith without works is dead”…a simple statement.
”show me your faith without works, and I will show you my faith by my works”, James wrote under inspiration.

What is so difficult to understand? One without the other is pointless.

Reactions: TheHC

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not a mixed message at all if you understand the balance it implies in scripture.
“faith without works is dead”…a simple statement.
”show me your faith without works, and I will show you my faith by my works”, James wrote under inspiration.
It's the difference between saying, "if your faith is real saving faith you will do good works, being saved now", and saying "through your faith and works you gain your salvation in the end."

James addresses those who do not have works challenging whether their faith is real. He is giving a test to show true saving faith compared to demon type believing that does not save. There is no statement made about works being part of what saves us.

”show me your faith without works, and I will show you my faith by my works”, James wrote under inspiration."

Works demonstrate a true faith, which is exactly what James wrote. They do not supplement faith in a salvific way. It is not of works, so no one can boast about themself.

Much love!

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All I know is that when I celebrate Easter, I'm not worshiping Ishtar, the Easter Bunny, or anything else except Jesus. Prior to Christianity, the cross was also a pagan symbol, but we appropriated it and made it our own. I have no trouble doing the same with Easter.
That's a good point!

And, are homosexuals celebrating God's promise to never flood the earth again by using the rainbow as their symbol? Of course not! Who thinks that?

But somehow you are worshiping pagan idols by celebrating Jesus' resurrection?

A good dose of logic and critical reasoning is enough to settle many of these kinds of questions.

Much love!

Reactions: Jericho

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In many ancient religions the cross was a disgusting symbol symbolizing intercourse….again a fertility symbol. The most famous is the Egyptian ankh cross which to the Egyptians was the symbol of life….

1712091246621.png
The loop at the top was the female genitalia, whilst the cross was the male phallus.

Would any worshipper of the true God borrow such a symbol from false religion to represent the sacrifice of his beloved son? Why was the adoption of such things even necessary….and if images of anything were forbidden under God’s law, why did Roman Catholicism adopt so many teachings and symbols from false worship, which God hates! What an insult these things are to him…..taught to the masses as things cherished and sacred, when in actual fact the devil has people performing practices that are nothing but offensive to the true God.
If we really know him, and his son, we would never do anything to offend him as Israel did on many occasions and because of that, he punished them for their excursions into false worship. (John 17:3)

Worship of fertility goddesses attributed the miraculous reproductive powers given to all living things by the Creator, to these false deities…..they are continued in Christendom under a thin veneer of Christianity….and the falsely educated follow like sheep to the slaughter.
Its time to wake up to what Satan has been doing all these centuries….leading the majority astray, down a very dark path. “Few“ will be found on the road to life because of this. (Matt 7:13-14)

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you think that everyone saying, they “are His”, that Christ accepts them?
Please read Matthew 7:21-23.

Obedience is prime! — John 14:15; John 15:14

Yes, Jesus “conquered the world”, through his obedience to God. We still have to. — Matthew 24:13; Philippians 3:13,14.

You gave the evidence against your point--your point which is not the gospel.

Matthew 7:21-23 ends with what does not meet the requirements of God, because they are works-based. Which is what you also seem to be advocating.

Jesus did it all--that is the gospel, and it is in Him that God is well pleased--not in those who try to jump through a bunch more hoops. It is Christ alone who overcame the world, not us with our failed attempts, however well intended. That is the message of Matthew 7:21-23.

What you seem to not be allowing for, is that only "in Christ" do we meet the obedience required by God. No one who is "in Christ" participates in evil. How could they? For old things have passed away, all things have become new. Even pagan things. ...It would seem that you do not believe this.

• Sad

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Easter is Latin for Passover week.
And the Latin Word was used in the 1611 KJV but not in the Cambridge/Oxford KJV that was done at a much later date.

• Haha
Reactions: ScottA

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you do the same thing with the word gay and go around telling people you are so gay?

Even though that word originally meant to be happy, if you use that word today they will think you are homosexual.

God does not call the resurrection easter so those being led by the Holy Spirit won't call it easter either.
I just know there is nothing wrong with being glad Jesus rose from the dead.

Duck Muscles

Mar 19, 2024
Europe
Faith
Christian
Country
Denmark
No one knows the absolute definition of the word Easter.

However, I believe if we look at how far this discussion has traveled in our community thus far we may note one commonality amid all the differing perspectives.

Division among God's saints.

I feel Easter is precisely what our faith celebrates. As is Christmas, another tradition that can be argued with regard to the pagan Yule.

I also think if we abandon Christian celebratory occasions because of a tenuous link to pagan practices we give authority and power to those earlier rites overcoming our own.

We are in Christ. Shielded like within a bubble of righteous safety , love, and devotion.
We live in this world but we are not of this world.

What others celebrate, past and present and by any name or date, cannot relate to nor affect us. Unless we choose to let it in.