Is age a problem?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
Age has nothing to do with great wisdom of the Lord. You can be very young and be an expert (in God's wisdom) in the knowledge of the Word of God. You can be old and be a novice (in God's wisdom) in the knowledge of the Word of God.Point is...Age means nothing.Love much to you, Jag...Lovest ye in Christ Yahshua our Lord and Saviour.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well since I am involved in this question, I feel it fair for me to answer.Number one, I don't make the claim to be a preacher, because I am not. Lot's of people preach in their own ways, but that does not necessarily make one a preacher. We are told to go out and witness are we not? Does this may make preaching because a relative term? What's the difference of me having this website versus talking to coworkers at work or sharing something with my friends?Furthermore, the Bible is pretty clear about age.I Timothy 5:1
Rebuke not an elder, but entreat him as a father; and the younger men as brethren;
The instruction is certainly not saying for us to immediately submit to those that are older whether right or wrong. It simply (and clearly) says to not rebuke them disrespectfully. If they are wrong, you show them the respect they deserve but you let them know that they are and they need to go back to Scripture. I don't make it a habit of calling many out. The few that I have called out on this website, I have done so for good reason because they were troublemakers looking for nothing more than strife.That being said, I make no apologies for what I do. I am blessed by God, this website has been blessed by God. I am not some great person with special abilities. Simply, God chose me to be a mouthpiece and then provided me with the wonderful staff such as Kriss and the great and knowledgeable members we have here. I was created for a reason, and this website here seems to be a chunk of what I am here to do.

Jackie D

Mar 15, 2008
(lastsecman;21302)
Timothy is a quite young man, but because Paul the APOSTLE personally acknowledged his knowledge and ways in the Lord therefore he allowed him to preach.However, the Bible told us that a church leader should not be a novice in the faith, lest he be lifted up with pride and fall into Satan's trap.I am not sure wether the webmaster of this website is only about 23 or so of age because i remember that he told me last year that he's about this age only.Now, question, being so young in the faith, is it appropriate for him to teach?Lord Jesus Christ is God Himself in human flesh form. Blessed is He.
My daughter is 11...for about 2 yrs now as she has been learning of the Lord by me and others, she at times has made very wise and profound statements regarding faith in God...I do not discount her words of wisdom because she is a child...none should and none should consider that because someone is youthful that they are incapable of comprehending even the basic principles of Christ.

stlizzy

Feb 6, 2008
There are a lot of seriously un-wise people running around who are far older than 20... I would take everything that ANYONE says with a grain of salt and always consult the scripture to see if what they are saying is accurate, Truth. A young person could quickly prove himself to be wise in the Lord that way. LOL- if God can use a talking donkey than why not a 20yrold????

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
After Moderating this site for a little over two years and talking with hundreds of people I can honestly say age is a NON issueWe have 16 year olds that are much wiser in the word than some 70 year olds And the other way around Age is nothing wisdom is given from God and he gives wisdom to anyone who asks and has the heart/mind to understand it. I seldom ever look at anyones age but judge their knowledge in the Word by their understaning of itAge only adds life experince which can sometimes give one fuller understanding of how to put the wisdom God has given them into action in the World around them but it still comes down to the wisdom God has given One

Jackie D

Mar 15, 2008
(kriss;42793)
After Moderating this site for a little over two years and talking with hundreds of people I can honestly say age is a NON issueWe have 16 year olds that are much wiser in the word than some 70 year olds And the other way around Age is nothing wisdom is given from God and he gives wisdom to anyone who asks and has the heart/mind to understand it. I seldom ever look at anyones age but judge their knowledge in the Word by their understaning of itAge only adds life experince which can sometimes give one fuller understanding of how to put the wisdom God has given them into action in the World around them but it still comes down to the wisdom God has given One
amen Kriss

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
Of all the definitions on "novice" that I found in my dictionary, the one that stood out is "A recent convert to Christianity." "Novice' does not necessarily mean young, but it means inexperienced. A person in his 20's can be much more than a novice if he's been saved since a child and has grown in the Lord all that time. Someone in his 20's could be a college graduate and very knowledgeable in the Word. Of course, there is the question of whether or not someone that young should pastor a church. I've known assistant pastors who were in their 20's, very knowledgeable, and often a better preacher and teacher than the pastor. The young ones tend to be more on fire in their preaching, while the older ones tend to become more mellow (and even boring) in their preaching.

ForYou

Jan 21, 2008
I am 14,I believe in no way does ones age matter.That 70 year old could have been going to church for 1 year and so by the age factor,he is wiser. No,it all depends on the person,and how much they search for God! Many say,oh your 14 your opinion doesn't matter because you have not been in the church since 3,yet those who have far less faith (sometimes) it depends!Ask God for wisdom
smile.gif

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Age is relevant to the ministry that God has annointed you for. Having completed an extensive study of church leadership in the scriptures it is very clear that leadership of the local assembly was the province of older men as the word "elder" in greek means, older chronologically, senior men. You can see all the details on my website http://churchalive66.googlepages.com The ministry of an elder is to oversee the flock, shepherd them, teach them and deal with discipline. An Elder is required to be the husband of one wife and to manage his household well. There are 17 verses in the NT that make it clear that a young man cannot be an elder. Timothy was not an elder. Some commentators say he was an evangelist and others say he was Paul's representative and others say he was an apostle. In all these three cases, the scripture does not speak of an age requirement.Having an annointing for one of the five ministries in Ephesians 4 v 11 is not limited by age. You will have the annointing regardless of your age and if you do not have the annointing, all the education in the world won't make you one of these ministries. None of these five ministries were for leadership of the local assembly. They are for the church universal to be used as and when God requires them to be active. A further point is that those who had the ministry of pastor were not the leaders of the New Testament church. Only elders led the NT church, some of whom had a pastoral ministry, which qualified them for eldership. All leadership of the NT church was plural as in "elders". A further point is that the only priesthood taught by scripture is the priesthood of all believers, not the priesthood of a select few clergy. Everyone in the NT church was responsible for the well being of everyone else so in that respect everyone was a pastor, shepherding the flock and meeting each others needs.They did not call for the pastor when prayer was needed they prayed for each other.

David161099

Nov 19, 2007
The webmaster of this forum has a job. It involves moderating discussion and running the technical side of things.He could do the job and not even be a Christian or participate in discussion. From a purely mechanical perspective.It's a nooby idea that webmasters are experts on the topics discussed in their forums, and only experts are allowed to moderate discussion.Moderating people requires policing them on rules of the forum, not to do with teaching them subject matter.

His By Grace

Dec 28, 2007
I absolutely agree with Denver, Kriss, Jackie, Jon-Marc, and Dukester as far as God anointing you to be usable in His kingdom. Look at the story of David. He was rendered usable, anointed, etc. at quite a young age. When the Lord knows your heart (which He always does) and has a great work planned for you (which He will if you will), He proceeds no matter how young. It's when you are willing to surrender. I do agree with you, marksman about the eldership in church leadership, but that's really a different thing. We all have our functions within the body as God sees fit to take our talents and use them. I think it's great to see these young guys/girls willing to serve the Lord. There are so many youth on drugs or partying it up, not thinking about the Lord, but themselves and how they can promote themselves. I am absolutely filled with joy over what I see on this board. It does my heart good to see youth that love Jesus and wanting to serve Him. Keep on keepin' on!!!!

followerofchrist

Nov 22, 2007
(kriss;42793)
Well as far as I know their are only 3 of us on this board who are 16, LGF, Wakka, and myself. So I have a 1 in 3 chance that you were referring to me.
rolleyes.gif
1 Timothy 4:1212Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.

Jackie D

Mar 15, 2008
(His By Grace;43359)
I absolutely agree with Denver, Kriss, Jackie, Jon-Marc, and Dukester as far as God anointing you to be usable in His kingdom. Look at the story of David. He was rendered usable, anointed, etc. at quite a young age. When the Lord knows your heart (which He always does) and has a great work planned for you (which He will if you will), He proceeds no matter how young. It's when you are willing to surrender. I do agree with you, marksman about the eldership in church leadership, but that's really a different thing. We all have our functions within the body as God sees fit to take our talents and use them. I think it's great to see these young guys/girls willing to serve the Lord. There are so many youth on drugs or partying it up, not thinking about the Lord, but themselves and how they can promote themselves. I am absolutely filled with joy over what I see on this board. It does my heart good to see youth that love Jesus and wanting to serve Him. Keep on keepin' on!!!!
I think it is good for us to remember these things HBG. It's awesome that we remember that our God and Father THE Almighty is to be, by no means limited by the minds of man.....what is age? To Him we are ALL infants anyway!

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
But could you be young,and be an elder is wisdom and religion
I don't think that this is a consideration when it comes to leadership in the local assembly for the simple reason that the scripture makes it quite clear that eldership is the province of older men chronologically. There is no indication of any kind in scripture that says you can be an elder if you are young chronologically and spiritually mature.The qualifications for eldership in Timothy and Titus rule out a young person being an elder as it says that they have to rule their household well. You cannot be seen to rule your household well unless you are married, unless you have children, and unless you have some track record bringing up those children.From experience, bringing up small children is a breeze in comparison to bringing up teenagers. It is then that the challenge to rule your household well comes into play.On that basis, bearing in mind that the elders in the NT church were not imported from outside, they were products of the local assembly, and were appointed on the basis of their quality of life, it is highly unlikey that a person would be appointed an elder unless he were 40 or 50 years old.I know of a pastor who has been called from outside the local church who has a son who is a drug addict and another son who is a drug dealer. In the NT church that would be impossible. :eek:

Jackie D

Mar 15, 2008
I know of a pastor who has been called from outside the local church who has a son who is a drug addict and another son who is a drug dealer. In the NT church that would be impossible.
though I see that being an "elder" would mean just that an elder in the church...I find the above example of disqualification an issue as biased and judgmental and would hope that none would look upon a parent for the clear choices their kids (most likely grown) as being incapable of holding the position as pastor or any other position of leadership in the church.

ForYou

Jan 21, 2008
(followerofchrist;43440)
Well as far as I know their are only 3 of us on this board who are 16, LGF, Wakka, and myself. So I have a 1 in 3 chance that you were referring to me.
rolleyes.gif
1 Timothy 4:1212Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.
Darn,that leaves me out of that,I am 14
sad.gif
Man I am young I feel left out haha

followerofchrist

Nov 22, 2007
(Dukester;43644)
Darn,that leaves me out of that,I am 14
sad.gif
Man I am young I feel left out haha
Do not worry young one, you will one day be able to understand the vast wisdom that comes from being 16. haha