Is Astrology Evil?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JarBreaker

Apr 6, 2010
Where does that put the three wise men who are in the nativity>

Templar, the wise men (really no evidence of there only being 3, there may have been dozens for all we know) are thought by some to have been the descendants of the Chaldean astronomers under Daniel.

Daniel was a wealthy important man who would have had little use for earthly possesions ... so, it's also thought these astronomers carried the gifts ... and that the wealth from the gifts were what Joseph and Miriam used to support their flight into Egypt to escape Herod.

Magi = plural of magus ... they very well may have been zoroastrians ... not on my normal computer so I cant really dig in-depth for you at the moment.

Otherwise about astrology ... some people say this was the basis for the pagan worship nim-od began upon the earth ... and the tower of babel may have been an ancient observatory.

As we know so very little of the details of what may have went on, it's best to leave all that nonsense far from us ... even glancing at a horoscope may invite a wicked spirit to plant an idea into your head ... sin and even moreso knowledge of the unknown is ENTICEMENT.

evanom

May 8, 2010
Bogota Colombia
If you read about the wisemen incident, the "star" they are following has a quite abnormal behavoir for being a star: It moves around like a ballon in the wind and then neatly places itself right over the shed where Jesus was born. Just read the gospel. So i consider this star as being an angel, since there are occasions where angels are referred to as stars. Even Jesus called Himself the "morning star" in the Apocalypse. SO i don't bellieve it was an astronomical event.

JarBreaker

Apr 6, 2010
If you read about the wisemen incident, the "star" they are following has a quite abnormal behavoir for being a star:

Evanom ,there is another thread on this that whirlwind started with more info and some links ... there was what may have been a supernova or other astronomical event recorded at that time by the Chinese.

One of those links also explains how the erratic movement may have been due to the rotation of the earth (best I can do from memory)

Here you go,
http://www.christianityboard.com/topic/11992-what-was-the-star-leading-the-wise-men/page__p__80999__fromsearch__1#entry80999

Raphael

Jul 12, 2010
I seem to recall an astrophysical "backtracking" of where planets and stars would have been positioned around 4 BC.

The conclusion was that the star Regulus and the planets Jupiter and Saturn? were having a "lineup" that, because of the mutual movements of Earth, the two planets, and Regulus, the "lineup" (though in constant motion of course) continued to appear "in line" while the Magi were following this conjunction.

I can't remember all the zodiac sings that (now deceased) pastor James Kennedy described in a sermon, but he was asserting that Leo symbolized King Jesus, Scorpio the Devil, Virgo was Mary, the Archer? was aiming his arrow at Scorpio, etc. etc.

I've heard that the sun is a symbol of God and the moon a symbol for the Church, meaning that the Church has no light of its own, but (like the Moon) merely reflects the light of God.

Now, beyond those limited things, I see a huge vast wasteland of wrong use of the position of heavenly bodies to determine our futures, decide what God is trying to tell us, etc. I suspect Babel may have been some sort of zuggurat atop which similar astrological "conclusions" would have been sought.

I think the reading of horoscopes is a sort of descendant of this Babylonian-style "religion" in that it provides a portal into the wrong spirit world, one that can further encourage the explorer down other unscriptural and more dangerous paths.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Where does that put the three wise men who are in the nativity>

It puts them next to the manger where they were supposed to be.

There is nothing in scripture that says the three travelers were astrologers. In fact, it doesn't even say where they were from; exactly.

What we do have is a rather odd statement that three travelers from the east followed a star. Said star eventually came to hover over the building where Jesus spent His first days upon the earth.

And they, having heard the king, went their way; and lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young child was.
Mat 2:9

No astronomer living or dead has ever been able to ascribe a celestial explanation for this event. Probably because this manifestation wasn't a star. Can anyone reasonably expect to see a star parked over their house or barn? The testimony of scripture is true, but the interpretations are inconsistant.

I submit that the star was some sort of spiritual/angelic manifestation.

Did He not guide the Hebrews away from Egypt into the desert by means of a pillar of fire and smoke? Did He not do so within the proximity of the Hebrew camp for a period of decades of years? This fact testifies as to the possibility of a spiritual manifestation for the pupose of guidance and/or navigation.

Why not use a small pin point of light to guide three men from foreign parts to the very side of Our Lord?

Consider this:
I spent some time in the Navy. During those days I met a fellow Christian who had been involved in a shipwreck at sea. During the Vietnam era a US destroyer suffered a collision with an Australian aircraft carrier. It happened in the middle of the night and the smaller ship was cut in two. Most of its crew died in the wreck. My friend survived the initial impact, but became disoriented in the dark and the topsy turvy condition of the ship as it began to sink. He could not see anything and could not orient himself to his memory of the surroundings because everything was at odd angles.

He told me that he asked God for help and immediately saw a small pin point of light.
"It was like the small flicker you see when someone clicks a cigarette lighter", he said.
He followed the flicker and found himself next to a hatch which could be opened to the outside deck. He opened the hatch and assisted several other men in evacuating the sinking hulk. He and those he helped to save lived to tell the tale, were issued new sea bags to replace their government issue clothing and an additional thirty days leave to recover from the shock.

I find the guidance here very similar to that which the three wise men followed. Is that what really happened? We may never know, but I think its much more plausible than expecting real guidance from astrological hooey.