Is Being Catholic And Being Born-Again The Same Thing ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. - Romans 8:9-10

Easy... Right? As the Orthodox, Protestant, Catholic, Methodist, Pentecostal, and Charismatic folk all have done this, so they all have been born again.
Well, that's from Romans 10:9-10.... But not a big deal.

Jesus also said, "God is a spirit, and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth." John 4:24. It seems to me that any person, Church or denomination that knows the truth should change their doctrines to fit that, despite how long it has gone against their traditions.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. - Romans 8:9-10

Easy... Right? As the Orthodox, Protestant, Catholic, Methodist, Pentecostal, and Charismatic folk all have done this, so they all have been born again.

Of course after salvation we should continue to grow. But God has made this thing so simple that even a child can receive it.

As far as doctrine goes I don't think there was a doctrine created that can keep people spiritually hot. Man tends (especially here in Laodicea) to go from hot --> lukewarm --> cold. And there is not a doctrine that can prevent it.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scripture must be read entire, not just what itching to hear. Satan believes too.

"when one blind man leads another, both fall onto a ditch" ( Mat 15:14 )
"Do not fool yourselves; people who are immoral or who worship idols or are .... itc. - none of these will possess God's Kingdom" ( 1Co 6:9-10)

And what will help eyewash that enough to believe if we do not obey God's commandments, because we are not even interest it, because we believe that " we were created to love God and neighbor - there will be no test on doctrine or theology at Heaven's Gates, blah, blah, blah...."

"not everyone who calls me "Lord, Lord" will enter the Kingdom of heaven,but only zose who do what my Father in heaven wants them to do" ( Mat 7:21)

"many people will be purified. Those who are wicked will not understand but will go on being wicked; only those who are wise will understand". (Dan 12:10 )

Hmm....

Looks like you have a serious problem respecting people you disagree with, blah, blah, blah

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Does God judge us on our knowledge or our hearts? I believe we were created to love God and neighbor - there will be no test on doctrine or theology at Heaven's Gates

I agree. God is the only one who judges who will be in Heaven and who will be in Hell. We do not have any say in it.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
What's the difference between Catholics and Christians...are their beliefs the same ?

The three main Christian groups are Catholics, Orthodox, and Protestants. They all believe in the same God. A Christian is one who believes in Jesus Christ as the Son of God and is God. They believe in the Holy Trinity. Most of their beliefs are similar. However, the beliefs of the Catholics and Orthodox Christians are 98% similar whereas the Protestants are very varied in their beliefs.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
Catholic means all encompassing in Greek.

All churches that use the ancient creeds say that they believe in the Catholic Church, though it is nothing to do with the Roman Church.

Angliscanism is a grey area though, since it is both Catholic and Reformed and many Anglicans myself included do not identify as Protestants but rather as reformed Catholics because of Apostallic succession. It is similar with the Orthodox churches that aren't in communion with Rome as they are still catholic even if they are not Papist.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The three main Christian groups are Catholics, Orthodox, and Protestants. They all believe in the same God. A Christian is one who believes in Jesus Christ as the Son of God and is God. They believe in the Holy Trinity. Most of their beliefs are similar. However, the beliefs of the Catholics and Orthodox Christians are 98% similar whereas the Protestants are very varied in their beliefs.

In stark contrast to these are the disciples who live FROM the Spirit of Christ.

Vashti

Nov 10, 2011
Hmm....

Looks like you have a serious problem respecting people you disagree with, blah, blah, blah
if I'm wrong, show it to me via the Scriptures.

But if you convinces me a problem because I showed you the Scripture you're wrong, then surely you have a problem yourself.

I'm interesting if you respecting all people - without exception?
Personally I do not see in the Bible incentives to tolerate people, speakers of what are itching to hear.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In stark contrast to these are the disciples who live FROM the Spirit of Christ.

This is a bold statement. Are you claiming that Catholics do not live FROM the Spirit of Christ?

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house

The disciples were no different from any of them. St. Matthew was a cheating tax collector. St. Peter denied Christ three times, St. Paul was a murderer of Christians. And all the disciples of Christ abandoned Him the moment He was arrested. We are sinners exactly like them.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that there is one church... In that one church there are seven locations... And each one of these churches have their issues...

1. Ephesus - Apostolic - Left their first love.
2. Smyrna -Martyrs - Few issues in the martyred church
3. Pergomos - Orthodox - Holds to the doctrine of the Nicolaitans (Feel free to do whatever you want_
4. Thyatira - Catholic - The spirit of Jezebel is to dominate, kill, and control.
5. Sardis - Gem - The protestants thought they were alive... Note... Thought!
6. Philadelphia - Methodist / Pentecostal - Can't keep the revival going
7. Laodicea - The Material church - Well, where do we begin?

My dad was raised Catholic and went to their seminary. He was amazed that our Pentecostal preacher never said the first word against those of the other schools of thought. We Pentecostals do not spend much time criticizing those of other schools of thought. As far as we Pentecostals are concerned...

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
if I'm wrong, show it to me via the Scriptures.

But if you convinces me a problem because I showed you the Scripture you're wrong, then surely you have a problem yourself.

I'm interesting if you respecting all people - without exception?
Personally I do not see in the Bible incentives to tolerate people, speakers of what are itching to hear.

I do not have a problem with the scripture you showed me - I have a problem with how you chose to show it.
You are using the 'itchy ear' verse to excuse your rude behavior. Even if I am wrong and you are right about scripture, love is still required,

Luke 10:27
He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’ ; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ ”

Corinthians 13

Colossians 2:2
My goal is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ,

Colossians 3:12
Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.

2 Timothy 2:24
And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful.

1 Peter 3:8
Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble.

1 John 4:20
Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does notlove their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen.

All statements against the darkness are bold statements...

Why are you hiding? Just come out and say what you are going to say. You are attacking from the shadows, Certainly not bold,

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
1. Ephesus - Apostolic - Left their first love.
2. Smyrna -Martyrs - Few issues in the martyred church
3. Pergomos - Orthodox - Holds to the doctrine of the Nicolaitans (Feel free to do whatever you want_
4. Thyatira - Catholic - The spirit of Jezebel is to dominate, kill, and control.
5. Sardis - Gem - The protestants thought they were alive... Note... Thought!
6. Philadelphia - Methodist / Pentecostal - Can't keep the revival going
7. Laodicea - The Material church - Well, where do we begin?

An interesting list...from watchman Nee I gather?!!!

The Philadelphian church I would say is the brotherly communities of the Moravians and Anapaptists (Bruderhof).

The Laodicean churches are all the churches in the West that gather on sundays.

The church is not a one day a week meeting, but rather a daily commitment to God and each other in a sacrificial spiritual community.

Vashti

Nov 10, 2011
I do not have a problem with the scripture you showed me - I have a problem with how you chose to show it.
You are using the 'itchy ear' verse to excuse your rude behavior. Even if I am wrong and you are right about scripture, love is still required,

Luke 10:27
He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’ ; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ ”

Corinthians 13

Colossians 2:2
My goal is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ,

Colossians 3:12
Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.

2 Timothy 2:24
And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful.

1 Peter 3:8
Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble.

1 John 4:20
Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does notlove their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen.

Why are you hiding? Just come out and say what you are going to say. You are attacking from the shadows, Certainly not bold,
I thought sa that would appear mindless collection of quotations, which is contained the term "love" you do not understand.
if love was just a patting, then Lord would not been killed - Lord, who is love.

Where I have to come?

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
I thought sa that would appear mindless collection of quotations, which is contained the term "love" you do not understand.
if love was just a patting, then Lord would not been killed - Lord, who is love.

Where I have to come?

Wow! This is the first time I've ever heard a Christian actually call biblical scripture a "mindless collection of quotations." I thought Christians have more respect for the "word of God."

Aspen is correct in quoting those biblical scripture. It shows that we are supposed to love our neighbors. Scripture never said to love only Christians. Love means a lot of things, and one of those things is to show respect and tolerance.

Vashti

Nov 10, 2011
The disciples were no different from any of them. St. Matthew was a cheating tax collector. St. Peter denied Christ three times, St. Paul was a murderer of Christians. And all the disciples of Christ abandoned Him the moment He was arrested. We are sinners exactly like them.
They leave sin and taught to walk on a narrow road. if you follow their falls, you should repent.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

But we have not gone through the process to become what they became...at least not very many do.

We all start out as raw material in God's hand. The miracle is what He can do to a messed up people!

He makes saints out of sinners...spiritual giants out of carnal creatures.

Vashti

Nov 10, 2011
Wow! This is the first time I've ever heard a Christian actually call biblical scripture a "mindless collection of quotations." I thought Christians have more respect for the "word of God."

Aspen is correct in quoting those biblical scripture. It shows that we are supposed to love our neighbors. Scripture never said to love only Christians. Love means a lot of things, and one of those things is to show respect and tolerance.
respect and tolerance for half-truths and ignorance? please quote ..

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
respect and tolerance for half-truths and ignorance? please quote ..

Respect and tolerance for your neighbors. A person can respect another person. A person's belief is a separate thing. Afterall, God loves every person. It is the person's sinful behavior that He does not like.