Is Being Catholic And Being Born-Again The Same Thing ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Both Catholicism AND Protestantism are cultural in nature. Within these traditions there are some who are willing to serve the Lord. There are even a few who are born again.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
There are indeed Catholics that are born again and going to heaven.

There are, however, a number of beliefs the Catholic church espouses that are either not supported by Scripture or run completely contrary to scripture.

Catholics who embrace those practices are going to have problems.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There are indeed Catholics that are born again and going to heaven.

There are, however, a number of beliefs the Catholic church espouses that are either not supported by Scripture or run completely contrary to scripture.

Catholics who embrace those practices are going to have problems.

And also Protestants in order to distance themselves with any Catholic doctrine, have abolished sound apostolic teachings as well. There are going to be problems there as well!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think that newborn believer can not remain a Catholic a longer time.

The Catholic errors are more obvious for the new creature in Christ...yes. But there is a greater danger in assuming that Protestantism is what God wants. The errors of the reformers are deeper in nature. Not that everyone who is a protestant is in deep error.

But the pride of being saved and the assumptions of superiority that go with the disdaining of Catholics and their more "childlike" worship" can make one twice as evil as before.

Luther claimed that men are justified the way a dung hill is covered by a falling of fresh snow.

But a little heat will soon reveal that the truth is that they continue to stink to high heaven!

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To be Catholic is to be Catholic. Not all Catholics are born again, some are, I pray most are, God knows. To be born again is to die to yourself, to become a new creature in Christ.

Vashti

Nov 10, 2011
I had no intention to exalt Protestants. On the contrary,
while most Catholics are not aware of breaking the law of God, Protestants often pervert the Word of God demonstrating height of hypocrisy.

The difference, however, is such that there are those among Protestants as they live according to God's Word, which for Catholics is rather impossible. Because of the practice, often blasphemous.

and also, that as a Catholic, has the head "holy father" from Rome and not that from Heaven.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am a Christian who attends a Catholic Church. I decided to join the Catholic Church as an adult after studying church history and Christian theology for 2 years. I have been Catholic for 11 years. I enjoy belonging to a Christian tradition that includes all 2,000+ years of church history. In my experience, the primary difference between Catholicism and Protestantism is the rich prayer life I have discovered within Catholicism. There are so many examples of people who have developed incredibly rich prayer lives with the Catholic Tradition, which I never knew about as a Protestant - now I have been able to learn from them, as I dive into the depths of prayer to experience God. Doctrine is important, but is secondary to prayer for me. For me the real presence in the Eucharist is the most important difference between C and P. The first time I received the Eucharist, I experience something amazing and difficult to describe.

Technically all Catholics are born again after they have been justified through baptism. However, I believe that Catholic and Protestant teachings both fall short in their presentation of being born again. Being born again should be a daily event rather than a one time occurrence. Whenever we humble ourselves and pick up our Cross and follow Christ, remaining in union with Him and allowing the Holy Spirit to sanctify us through love we are in essence, born again because we are viewing the world through Christ's eyes. Salvation is a state of being, which will eventually last for ever when we become citizens of Heaven.

Reactions: Shirley

Vashti

Nov 10, 2011
to the previous post should add, that among Catholics also are some who pervert the Word of God conscious.
This general remark, for the sake of accuracy.

"The first time I received the Eucharist, I experience something amazing and difficult to describe."

Not all feelings difficult to describe have anything to do with God and His Word.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
to the previous post should add, that among Catholics also are some who pervert the Word of God conscious.
This general remark, for the sake of accuracy.

"The first time I received the Eucharist, I experience something amazing and difficult to describe."

Not all feelings difficult to describe have anything to do with God and His Word.

I don't remember referencing 'feelings' in my statement concerning the Eucharist.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ok. What is your point?

Vashti

Nov 10, 2011
but to what my point, sorry?

In relation Catholics still need to rephrase that these are people (in most) who do not really know what to believe at all.
Their knowledge is so far as are subjected to brain wash. They do not know what's written in the Holy Scriptures, which is dust in their cabinets.

They do not know Who is the Lamb, and what it means. Do not know why the Christmas table they place bunnies, eggs, etc. - I do not know too...

I was surprised when I sow in the Protestant Church on the feast of Passover was all painted eggs, many pictures of eggs, trees with eggs, games with eggs ...

I asked one what it means, he said that it a symbol of life... - in my opinion, a native of paganism ...

so that among ordinary Catholics usually not hypocrites, they are blind and hawe blind guides ...
the same can be observed in Protestants unfortunately.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
but to what my point, sorry?

In relation Catholics still need to rephrase that these are people (in most) who do not really know what to believe at all.
Their knowledge is so far as are subjected to brain wash. They do not know what's written in the Holy Scriptures, which is dust in their cabinets.

They do not know Who is the Lamb, and what it means. Do not know why the Christmas table they place bunnies, eggs, etc. - I do not know too...

I was surprised when I sow in the Protestant Church on the feast of Passover was all painted eggs, many pictures of eggs, trees with eggs, games with eggs ...

I asked one what it means, he said that it a symbol of life... - in my opinion, a native of paganism ...

so that among ordinary Catholics usually not hypocrites, they are blind and hawe blind guides ...
the same can be observed in Protestants unfortunately.

Does God judge us on our knowledge or our hearts? I believe we were created to love God and neighbor - there will be no test on doctrine or theology at Heaven's Gates

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. - Romans 8:9-10

Easy... Right? As the Orthodox, Protestant, Catholic, Methodist, Pentecostal, and Charismatic folk all have done this, so they all have been born again.

Reactions: Angelina

Vashti

Nov 10, 2011
Scripture must be read entire, not just what itching to hear. Satan believes too.

"when one blind man leads another, both fall onto a ditch" ( Mat 15:14 )
"Do not fool yourselves; people who are immoral or who worship idols or are .... itc. - none of these will possess God's Kingdom" ( 1Co 6:9-10)

And what will help eyewash that enough to believe if we do not obey God's commandments, because we are not even interest it, because we believe that " we were created to love God and neighbor - there will be no test on doctrine or theology at Heaven's Gates, blah, blah, blah...."

"not everyone who calls me "Lord, Lord" will enter the Kingdom of heaven,but only zose who do what my Father in heaven wants them to do" ( Mat 7:21)

"many people will be purified. Those who are wicked will not understand but will go on being wicked; only those who are wise will understand". (Dan 12:10 )

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. - Romans 8:9-10

Easy... Right? As the Orthodox, Protestant, Catholic, Methodist, Pentecostal, and Charismatic folk all have done this, so they all have been born again.

This is simplistic and wrong. It is like saying...tell a girl you love her and she will marry you.

Of course if a man truly loves a woman and she HEARS this truth from his own mouth, then yes, she will marry him. But to make a lip service offering as binding on the living God is foolishness.

You can't go through the motions of methodology with God. You need to be MORE sincere with God than with a woman!!! God sees the heart.

So if a man..WITHOUT ANY PROMPTING OR INDOCTRINATION believes in his heart on Jesus...THEN that has the desired effect and God will come live with that man.

I can't tell you how many false conversions based on silly formulas I have seen.

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
No. It is not the same thing. I don't see anywhere in the Scriptures where God says "Thou shalt convert to Catholicism to be saved"

Not all Catholics are Christians and not all Christians are Catholic.