Is Generational curses for today?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I believe NO.
We as born again people of God are told ALL things are new
We as Christians are new creations
We are no longer under the law. Most Christians are still straddling both convanants.
A lot of Deliverance minitries still believe Christians are under generational curses.
And they still quote old covanant scriptures to back up what they teach as Gods truth.
Even in the old covanant. It was dropped.

God said in Ezekial 18:20The person who sins is the one who will die. The child will not be punished for the parent's sins, and the parent will not be punished for the child's sins. Righteous people will be rewarded for their own righteous behavior, and wicked people will be punished for their own wickedness.

This verse does not say that this is any thing that has to do with the Guilt of the Fathers sin as has been said in here already. If anyone who believes this would like to bring evidence of this from scripture, please do so.

Our family linage goes back one generation to Christ and no further.
We are also told to cal no man on earth your father. You have one Father and He is in heaven.
So if you think you are under generational curse. That is up to you. But do not try and put me under anything form the old covanant.
Your words are life and death. Stop speaking death over the people you are supposed to be setting free.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
nonetheless, sons tend to follow their fathers line of work, children tend to the same habits as their parents, etc. If your parents smoked, you are more likely to smoke. Ergo, the father's sins are visited upon the children

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
nonetheless, sons tend to follow their fathers line of work, children tend to the same habits as their parents, etc. If your parents smoked, you are more likely to smoke. Ergo, the father's sins are visited upon the children
And the like of that are how many millions miles away from the thread content? W rare talking about generational curses. Nothing to do with what you are talking about so whjy would you want to bring in more confusion when they are nothing to do with each other.

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Smoking is not a sin.

Just so you know...
I would say it is a sin. If you smoke and are aware its destroying your lungs and continue to commit suicide slowly. How could that be of God. and what ever is not of God is sin.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Smoking is not a sin.

Just so you know...
well look, "sins" and "curses" are pretty subjective things anyway, i would avoid looking at this through that lens, looking for sin iow, and see that "sin" might only be a by-product of certain habits that run in families, maybe. Dying is not a sin either, right

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I would say it is a sin. If you smoke and are aware its destroying your lungs and continue to commit suicide slowly. How could that be of God. and what ever is not of God is sin.

Well try telling that to God!!
My father tried telling God that He could NOT baptize my uncle ( dad's identical twin) in the Holy Spirit because my uncle still smoked a pipe.
God ignored him, and my uncle was baptized in the Holy Ghost and spoke in tongues right there.
Charles Haddon Spurgeon known as The Prince of Preachers..was a smoker..obviously God couldn't have known of his "sin" as he had a mighty anointing. ;)
Quote:-“D.L. Moody went to London to meet Spurgeon, whom he had admired from a distance and considered to be his professional mentor. However,
when Spurgeon answered the door with a cigar in his mouth, Moody fell down the stairs in shock. “How could you, a man of God, smoke that?” protested the great American evangelist.

Spurgeon took the stogie out of his mouth and walked down the steps to where Moody was still standing in bewilderment. Putting his finger on Moody’s rather rotund stomach, he smiled and said, “The same way you, a man of God, could be that fat!”

– Classic C.H.S

======
Smith Wigglesworth was asked often about drinking and smoking after a person is saved. His answer was- " Go ahead, drink as much as you like, smoke as much as you like..
if you can. He knew that in time the Holy Spirit would gently speak to them.
He was also asked - " Is smoking a sin and will it send me to Hell.?"
His answer was- " No, smoking will not do that, but rejection of Jesus Christ will."
Smoking, gluttony, etc hurt the one doing it...gossip,backbiting, divisive behaviour, and negative talking hurts other people and God's work.
I'd rather a smoker than a backbiter or gossip ..( though I hate smoke)
All are just showing that they have not overcome..and do not have their flesh under subjection.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Oh , forgot to say @Sword ...I agree with your OP..the "generational curse"
was a good money maker and selling of books , esp in the 80's.
But it is total rubbish....The Curse stops at The Blood.

Reactions: pia, Sword and Job

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
yet i see a rash now of, say, back problems for instance, even or especially among Christians, none of whom walk anything like 5 miles a day. They come to me for "therapy," but the therapy is "change your mind," which i of course cannot do for them. Once your core muscles lose tone, you are in trouble, and even Jesus cannot help you i guess.

Now, is it a sin to not be active? If your parents cultivated an active lifestyle in you, have they avoided engendering a "generational curse?" i don't know, but i suggest reflecting on these. I hike with a 90 year old guy i can hardly keep up with lol, can't beat arm wrestling, takes no scripts, etc.

"generational curse" is just likely an expression for "people usually follow their parents."
imo

you reap what you sow, and i cannot find any spiritual escape for this principle in the Book.

Reactions: pia and Helen

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Well try telling that to God!!
My father tried telling God that He could NOT baptize my uncle ( dad's identical twin) in the Holy Spirit because my uncle still smoked a pipe.
God ignored him, and my uncle was baptized in the Holy Ghost and spoke in tongues right there.
Charles Haddon Spurgeon known as The Prince of Preachers..was a smoker..obviously God couldn't have known of his "sin" as he had a mighty anointing. ;)

Suicide is a sin whiether you do it fast or slow.
I would also have ignored your father and I would have baptised you uncle if he smoked or did drugs or was an acoholic.
I would then have told your father how he was wrong.

Quote:-“D.L. Moody went to London to meet Spurgeon, whom he had admired from a distance and considered to be his professional mentor. However,
when Spurgeon answered the door with a cigar in his mouth, Moody fell down the stairs in shock. “How could you, a man of God, smoke that?” protested the great American evangelist.

Spurgeon took the stogie out of his mouth and walked down the steps to where Moody was still standing in bewilderment. Putting his finger on Moody’s rather rotund stomach, he smiled and said, “The same way you, a man of God, could be that fat!”– Classic C.H.S

No one said you cant be saved. I said its a sin to smoke. So your uncle was saved. and I would expect Holy Ghost to convict him as He did me. and many others.

Smith Wigglesworth was asked often about drinking and smoking after a person is saved. His answer was- " Go ahead, drink as much as you like, smoke as much as you like..
if you can. He knew that in time the Holy Spirit would gently speak to them.

As I said above. I would never tell anyone they should stop smoking. I dont have the need to do that. So why would the Holy Ghsot gently persuade you. Because its not good or from god. There for if its not from God its sin.

He was also asked - " Is smoking a sin and will it send me to Hell.?"
His answer was- " No, smoking will not do that, but rejection of Jesus Christ will."
For sure. Its not about will smoking send you to hell no it wont. Is it a sin yes it is,

Smoking, gluttony, etc hurt the one doing it...gossip,backbiting, divisive behaviour, and negative talking hurts other people and God's work.
I'd rather a smoker than a backbiter or gossip ..( though I hate smoke)
All are just showing that they have not overcome..and do not have their flesh under subjection.

I dont care if its a pot smoking back biting angry aggresive foul mouthed glutonus negative talking fruit cake prostitue or pimp. I will take anyone any where in any circumstances. And bless God all I want to see is the lost soul in that shell. And set them free.

Reactions: Wrigley

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Sword ....most of the post I agree with.

I'm not with you on the smoking, gluttony etc ...being a "sin".

Any more than sunbathing too much , and getting skin cancer Melanoma , which will kill you....is sin. Stupid yes, seen as sin by God..NO!!

It's seems in your book, any stupid thing a Christian does in his life, is sin!
If we get our clothes wet in the rain...and don't change them ...get pneumonia and die...SIN???
Golly, where O where does sin end in our lives!! o_O
What wicked sinners we all are.
Don't pass the salt...it may be sin...it may raise your blood pressure and give you a stroke.
As I say, I agreed with most of your post. ( and my uncle did indeed stop smoking)

But, I see a great difference in living in wisdom, and something being classed as sin...there is no end to that !!
Like.. " Don't sin by jay-walking, you may commit suicide by being hit by a car!!"
That kind of thinking is a ' bridge too far ' for me.
Bless you .....H

Reactions: pia

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Sword ....most of the post I agree with.

I'm not with you on the smoking, gluttony etc ...being a "sin".

Any more than sunbathing too much , and getting skin cancer Melanoma , which will kill you....is sin. Stupid yes, seen as sin by God..NO!!

It's seems in your book, any stupid thing a Christian does in his life, is sin!
If we get our clothes wet in the rain...and don't change them ...get pneumonia and die...SIN???
Golly, where O where does sin end in our lives!! o_O
What wicked sinners we all are.
Don't pass the salt...it may be sin...it may raise your blood pressure and give you a stroke.
As I say, I agreed with most of your post. ( and my uncle did indeed stop smoking)

But, I see a great difference in living in wisdom, and something being classed as sin...there is no end to that !!
Like.. " Don't sin by jay-walking, you may commit suicide by being hit by a car!!"
That kind of thinking is a ' bridge too far ' for me.
Bless you .....H
Rather than go on what it seems to you please quote what I say rather than what you think. If I said something wrong quote me and address it properly with scripture. Gluttony is sin. why are you taking a n decent disccusion and now taking it to childish levels? Please try and stick with what I did say instead of mocking what I ment in the disccusion. Greed is flesh and not of God. Smoking is not of God, That is a fact.
I never saw you speak like this in all the time I have been here. Not sure why you are acting like this.

PS I am praying for a guy a friend who Jay walked in the states and is still in a coma two years later. He did not intend to commit suicide.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Never saw your opinion in the bible.
wadr people find what they want in the Book, it seems to me, so while there is a discourse on this subject in Scripture, it does not seem to substantiate any one conclusion; or maybe a better way to put it is that more than one conclusion seems to be reached.

i don't think it is in error to consider real life in application to Scripture. And if the perspective does not bear fruit, then BAM toss it.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 10
26 For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,
27 but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries.

If smoking is a sin, not one smoker will enter the kingdom of heaven.

Wish I had known this 40 years ago.

k

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hebrews 10
26 For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,
27 but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries.

If smoking is a sin, not one smoker will enter the kingdom of heaven.

Wish I had known this 40 years ago.

k
So no one will enter with your reasoning. for all for short. such shallow thinking and understanding . Like I said in the other post. You can find anything you want in scripture and context means nothing.
Is greed for food from God no If its not from God who is it from.
same with smoking.