Is God Infinite?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Administrator said:
Please enlighten me with how i am reading between the lines of these scriptures?
In #17 you wrote:

In the beginning God created the heavens and the Earth. Gen 1:1

From everlasting to everlasting you are God. Psalms 90:2

His invisible attributes namely his Eternal power and Godhead have been clearly seen from the things that have been made. Romans 1:20

I think that Gen 1:1 assumes God, but it is an inference, not a statement, that he is uncaused. I happen to accept that the Almighty God is uncaused and has always existed, but I'm not convinced that Gen 1:1 makes a forthright statement about this.

I think that Psalm 90:2 is the strongest argument from these 3 verses to affirm the uncaused God, 'from everlasting to everlasting'.

But as for Rom 1:20, there is evidence here for the existence of God but I can't see it as a statement about God being an uncaused Being. That's the verse where I think you are reading between the lines - or imposing on the text. That's unless you can convince me otherwise. I'm open to such exegesis and clarification.

Oz

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is true that some of our understandings of God's immutibility and infinite attributes are derived some from the merging of some Greek philosophical concepts with biblical descriptions of God. I agree that some of these concepts are not so clearly spelled out as we tend to make it. However, much like the doctrine of the Trinity, while the Bible may not explicitly connect all the dots as cleanly and succinctly as our doctrinal statements may suggest, the concepts still are quite plainly inferred in the Scriptures.

For instance:

The NT clearly portrays God as the "one and only" and that there is none other besides him. There is none above him and he answers to no one. All things are by him and for him. He is the beginning and the end and nothing is hidden from his sight. So, while specific terms like omniscience may not be explicitly spelled out in philosophical detail, the narratives and self revelations God gives of himself make these connections apparent.

• “but has now been disclosed and through the prophetic writings has been made known to all nations, according to the command of the eternal God, to bring about the obedience of faith—” (Romans 16:26, ESV)
  • “Have you not known? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable.” (Isaiah 40:28, ESV)
  • “To the King of the ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.” (1 Timothy 1:17, ESV)
  • “For thus says the One who is high and lifted up, who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy: “I dwell in the high and holy place, and also with him who is of a contrite and lowly spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly, and to revive the heart of the contrite.” (Isaiah 57:15, ESV)
  • “And one of the four living creatures gave to the seven angels seven golden bowls full of the wrath of God who lives forever and ever,” (Revelation 15:7, ESV)
  • “Set forth your case, says the Lord; bring your proofs, says the King of Jacob. Let them bring them, and tell us what is to happen. Tell us the former things, what they are, that we may consider them, that we may know their outcome; or declare to us the things to come. Tell us what is to come hereafter, that we may know that you are gods; do good, or do harm, that we may be dismayed and terrified. Behold, you are nothing, and your work is less than nothing; an abomination is he who chooses you. I stirred up one from the north, and he has come, from the rising of the sun, and he shall call upon my name; he shall trample on rulers as on mortar, as the potter treads clay. Who declared it from the beginning, that we might know, and beforehand, that we might say, “He is right”? There was none who declared it, none who proclaimed, none who heard your words.” (Isaiah 41:21–26, ESV)
  • “I am the Lord; that is my name; my glory I give to no other, nor my praise to carved idols. Behold, the former things have come to pass, and new things I now declare; before they spring forth I tell you of them.”” (Isaiah 42:8–9, ESV)
  • “remember the former things of old; for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose,’ calling a bird of prey from the east, the man of my counsel from a far country. I have spoken, and I will bring it to pass; I have purposed, and I will do it.” (Isaiah 46:9–11, ESV)
  • ““For I the Lord do not change; therefore you, O children of Jacob, are not consumed.” (Malachi 3:6, ESV)
  • “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.” (Hebrews 13:8, ESV)
  • “Of old you laid the foundation of the earth, and the heavens are the work of your hands. They will perish, but you will remain; they will all wear out like a garment. You will change them like a robe, and they will pass away, but you are the same, and your years have no end.” (Psalm 102:25–27, ESV)
  • “For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself.” (John 5:26, ESV)
  • “who alone has immortality, who dwells in unapproachable light, whom no one has ever seen or can see. To him be honor and eternal dominion. Amen.” (1 Timothy 6:16, ESV)
  • I am the Lord, and there is no other, besides me there is no God; I equip you, though you do not know me,” (Isaiah 45:5, ESV)
  • ““You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord, “and my servant whom I have chosen, that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor shall there be any after me. I, I am the Lord, and besides me there is no savior.” (Isaiah 43:10–11, ESV)

This is just a sampling of verses of which we draw concepts like the immutability, eternal nature, omniscience and omnipotence of God. Thus, all point to his infinite qualities and show that God is not subject to other forces. He is not dependent on other things for life. He is not constrained by weakness, time or lack of understanding. He does all he wants and all he does is good and perfect. There is none other like him or comparable to him that he is in competition or rivaled by another. He alone as absolute power and authority in all things.

T

TravisT

Wormwood said:
It is true that some of our understandings of God's immutibility and infinite attributes are derived some from the merging of some Greek philosophical concepts with biblical descriptions of God. I agree that some of these concepts are not so clearly spelled out as we tend to make it. However, much like the doctrine of the Trinity, while the Bible may not explicitly connect all the dots as cleanly and succinctly as our doctrinal statements may suggest, the concepts still are quite plainly inferred in the Scriptures.

For instance:

The NT clearly portrays God as the "one and only" and that there is none other besides him. There is none above him and he answers to no one. All things are by him and for him. He is the beginning and the end and nothing is hidden from his sight. So, while specific terms like omniscience may not be explicitly spelled out in philosophical detail, the narratives and self revelations God gives of himself make these connections apparent.

• “but has now been disclosed and through the prophetic writings has been made known to all nations, according to the command of the eternal God, to bring about the obedience of faith—” (Romans 16:26, ESV)
  • “Have you not known? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable.” (Isaiah 40:28, ESV)
  • “To the King of the ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.” (1 Timothy 1:17, ESV)
  • “For thus says the One who is high and lifted up, who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy: “I dwell in the high and holy place, and also with him who is of a contrite and lowly spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly, and to revive the heart of the contrite.” (Isaiah 57:15, ESV)
  • “And one of the four living creatures gave to the seven angels seven golden bowls full of the wrath of God who lives forever and ever,” (Revelation 15:7, ESV)
  • “Set forth your case, says the Lord; bring your proofs, says the King of Jacob. Let them bring them, and tell us what is to happen. Tell us the former things, what they are, that we may consider them, that we may know their outcome; or declare to us the things to come. Tell us what is to come hereafter, that we may know that you are gods; do good, or do harm, that we may be dismayed and terrified. Behold, you are nothing, and your work is less than nothing; an abomination is he who chooses you. I stirred up one from the north, and he has come, from the rising of the sun, and he shall call upon my name; he shall trample on rulers as on mortar, as the potter treads clay. Who declared it from the beginning, that we might know, and beforehand, that we might say, “He is right”? There was none who declared it, none who proclaimed, none who heard your words.” (Isaiah 41:21–26, ESV)
  • “I am the Lord; that is my name; my glory I give to no other, nor my praise to carved idols. Behold, the former things have come to pass, and new things I now declare; before they spring forth I tell you of them.”” (Isaiah 42:8–9, ESV)
  • “remember the former things of old; for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose,’ calling a bird of prey from the east, the man of my counsel from a far country. I have spoken, and I will bring it to pass; I have purposed, and I will do it.” (Isaiah 46:9–11, ESV)
  • ““For I the Lord do not change; therefore you, O children of Jacob, are not consumed.” (Malachi 3:6, ESV)
  • “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.” (Hebrews 13:8, ESV)
  • “Of old you laid the foundation of the earth, and the heavens are the work of your hands. They will perish, but you will remain; they will all wear out like a garment. You will change them like a robe, and they will pass away, but you are the same, and your years have no end.” (Psalm 102:25–27, ESV)
  • “For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself.” (John 5:26, ESV)
  • “who alone has immortality, who dwells in unapproachable light, whom no one has ever seen or can see. To him be honor and eternal dominion. Amen.” (1 Timothy 6:16, ESV)
  • I am the Lord, and there is no other, besides me there is no God; I equip you, though you do not know me,” (Isaiah 45:5, ESV)
  • ““You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord, “and my servant whom I have chosen, that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor shall there be any after me. I, I am the Lord, and besides me there is no savior.” (Isaiah 43:10–11, ESV)

This is just a sampling of verses of which we draw concepts like the immutability, eternal nature, omniscience and omnipotence of God. Thus, all point to his infinite qualities and show that God is not subject to other forces. He is not dependent on other things for life. He is not constrained by weakness, time or lack of understanding. He does all he wants and all he does is good and perfect. There is none other like him or comparable to him that he is in competition or rivaled by another. He alone as absolute power and authority in all things.
Wormwood,

I could not have said this better myself. I would like to add that Romans 1:20 gives us Biblical support for doing Natural Theology hence The uncased cause argument.