Is Incest Sin or Not?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Incest, Sin or Not Sin?

• Total voters

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
In Leviticus & Deuteronomy, God says that incest is sinful. I would like to get some opinions on the subject.

Is it sin or is it not or is it something else?

Thanks

Reactions: Ronald Nolette

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Are we throwing stones now??

Let he who is without Sin cast the first stone.

Joh 8:15 Ye judge after the flesh; I judge no man.
Joh 8:16 And yet if I judge, my judgment is true: for I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent me.

Mat 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
Mat 7:2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
Mat 7:3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
Mat 7:4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
Mat 7:5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Lets think on our own condition and leave the judgement to God.

In all His Love

Reactions: 4Pillars

4Pillars

Dec 20, 2013
Maryland
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:

Joh 8:16 And yet if I judge, my judgment is true: for I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent me.

Mat 7:2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
Mat 7:3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
Mat 7:4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
Mat 7:5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

In all His Love
No one is judging.. You just did NOT comprehend the actual inquiry..... My response is based on my own Biblical Opinion.

Read the OP again below... Let me know if you still need more understanding from me. Thanks

POM2014: "In Leviticus & Deuteronomy, God says that incest is sinful. I would like to get some opinions on the subject.

Thanks"

Reactions: Nancy

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
In your original post you said, "God says that incest is sinful." Isn't He pretty much the final word on the subject?

numenian

Jun 19, 2015
pom2014 said:
In Leviticus & Deuteronomy, God says that incest is sinful. I would like to get some opinions on the subject.

Thanks
There is an interesting and to me somewhat confusing story in the OT on this topic. Read 2Samuel13:1-38. A number of elements in these verses make it, to me, complex almost to the point of contradiction. Is offering one's daughters to be raped to save oneself not incest by proxy?

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So we have strong opinions about about gay marriage because it redefines marriage, but incest? Hmm....that's a tricky one.....

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
At least we can be sure that same sex incest is definitely wrong!

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
My question is, when was incest considered wrong in God's eyes. At what point did it become a sin inside Adam's blood line?

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
ATP said:
My question is, when was incest considered wrong in God's eyes. At what point did it become a sin inside Adam's blood line?
ATP,

My biblical understanding is that God allowed incest in the Bible for the perpetuation of the human race, UNTIL he provided laws against it (Lev 18:6-18 ESV). A good, short article on this is, 'Why did God allow incest in the Bible?'

Oz

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
aspen said:
So we have strong opinions about about gay marriage because it redefines marriage, but incest? Hmm....that's a tricky one.....
It's really not a tricky one when we consider Lev 18:6-18 (ESV) and 1 Cor 6:9-11 (ESV). In the eras of the implementation of OT laws and NT teaching, incest is wrong (Lev 18) and is considered one example of being 'sexually immoral' (1 Cor 6:9).

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
Hearing that God said it is a sin is not judging.

It is acknowledging that is God's word.
You are right. God's people should know what is sin or not to avoid committing sin.

thirdeyezero

Aug 27, 2015
A sin is simply the aberration of desire, once desire is seen as good or evil it becomes corrupted. Once desire is corrupted it becomes want, want is a vacuum that only annihilates learning. When learning breaks down it creates more anomalies of sin.

The bibles commandments and laws are only useful for people who got kicked out of the garden of Eden. If you ever make it back you'll see if incest is normal.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
thirdeyezero said:
A sin is simply the aberration of desire, once desire is seen as good or evil it becomes corrupted. Once desire is corrupted it becomes want, want is a vacuum that only annihilates learning. When learning breaks down it creates more anomalies of sin.

The bibles commandments and laws are only useful for people who got kicked out of the garden of Eden. If you ever make it back you'll see if incest is normal.
From where did you obtain the definition of sin as 'aberration of desire'?

That is not God's view according to 1 John 3:4, 'Everyone who makes a practice of sinning also practices lawlessness; sin is lawlessness'. God's view is that to sin is to break God's law.

Sin is lawlessness and applies to all people who have a fallen, sinful nature. That relates to all people since Adam and Eve fell into sin (according to Genesis 3).

I do wish you would get your definition of sin from Scripture.

Oz

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
I'm not so sure that Adam and Eve's kids did commit incest.

Cain, for instance, didn't seem to have a wife when he killed his brother Abel and was driven out.

And when he left, he didn't just go "out into the wilderness" as one might have expected, if his family were alone on the planet.
He went to what seemed to be a populated place, with a name and everything..

Gen 4:16 And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden.

And after that, he suddenly had a wife...

Gen 4:17 And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch.

Some time passes, and we don't really know what may have happened, but it seems unlikely that Cain would have returned to the old homestead, and it seems fairly safe to assume that his kids would not have gone back either. But...

And unto Enoch was born Irad: and Irad begat Mehujael: and Mehujael begat Methusael: and Methusael begat Lamech.

Blood, as they say, will tell...

Gen 4:19 And Lamech took unto him two wives: the name of the one was Adah, and the name of the other Zillah.
Gen 4:23 And Lamech said unto his wives, Adah and Zillah, Hear my voice; ye wives of Lamech, hearken unto my speech: for I have slain a man to my wounding, and a young man to my hurt.

From these events, it seems that there were other people on the planet. How do I explain that, you are wondering?
According to a geneticist I spoke with once, it would be impossible for Adam and Eve's line continue for very long...before too long recessive genes would have started showing up and eventually, the line would have died off...or at least that was his theory. I know from having grown up on a farm that, while you can inbreed for some three or four generations, if you continue to do so, you will be producing deformed animals, who will not survive.

Of course, God could have changed the rules for His "First Family"...but I suspect that it is more likely that the Adam and Eve story is more of a parable....

Again, I could be wrong. Just my thoughts on the subject.

OH, yeah....and yes, incest is a sin.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
-
Adam was created directly from the dust of the earth. Not so Eve. She was
constructed from a human tissue sample amputated from Adam's body. In
other words: Eve's flesh was biologically just as much Adam's flesh as
Adam's except for gender; viz: Eve wasn't a discrete species of human life,
rather; she was the flip side of the same coin.

After God created Adam and Eve, He wrapped creation and has been on
sabbatical every since.

According to the Bible, all human life thereafter came from Eve's flesh.

†. Gen 3:20 . . Adam named his wife Eve, because she would become the
mother of all the living.

Bottom line: The flesh of Cain's wife descended from his mother's flesh.

An even more convincing example of prehistoric incest is Noah and his three
sons and their wives. Nobody else survived the Flood; ergo: Shem's, Ham's,
and Japheth's children married amongst themselves-- first cousins with
first cousins.

†. Gen 9:18-19 . . Now the sons of Noah who came out of the ark were
Shem and Ham and Japheth. These three were the sons of Noah; and from
these the whole earth was populated.

Obviously the human genome was very pure back in those days. The proof
of it is pre-historic human life's amazing longevity-- Adam lived to be 930,
and Noah to 950.

Now as to the sin of incest; according to Rom 4:15, Rom 5:13, and Gal
3:17, the Bible's laws are not retroactive. So then, it would be a gross
miscarriage of justice to prosecute pre-historic people for incest because it
wasn't prohibited in their day; and wouldn't be until Moses'.

It was apparently the creator's deliberate design that all human life descend
from a solo specimen.

†. Acts 17:26 . . From one man He made every nation of men, that they
should inhabit the whole earth.

The Greek word for "nation of men" is ethnos (eth'-nos) which pertains to
racial diversity.

=======================================

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
I'm not so sure that Genesis is a blow-by-blow description of the steps God took during Creation.
In fact, I very highly doubt it.
I mean, who really believes that Eve had a conversation with a snake who talked her into eating a piece of fruit?

How many children do you think that one woman was able to bear? Doesn't each one take nine months? So, barring multiple births, one kid a year, right? So, what...the boys were several hundred years old before Cain married and had kids? Even given that they lived nine centuries or so...that's a heck of a gap between husband and wife.
Eve would have had to have been one tough lady....I know that my seven took a helluva toll on my body. Evidently, this lady gave birth to some 900 kids. That's one heck of a lot of time spent barefoot and pregnant. Of course, she had daughters to help her....and they had more daughters....and they had more daughters....until we get to our day. Of course, in our day, inbreeding like that is a no-no....but, but...well, no matter who you marry, wouldn't you still be inbreeding?
The idea that God allowed incest for a little while, but then made laws against it just doesn't make sense. No matter who you marry, it would still be incest...

Any responsible breeder will tell you that you can't continue inbreeding for very long, because after awhile, recessive genes will begin to not be so "recessive" any more....

iakov

Jan 17, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
pom2014 said:

Thanks
In Leviticus & Deuteronomy, God says that incest is sinful. That's God's opinion; there is no other opinion that matters.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

In all His Love
That’s not how it works.

God says it’s a sin - we are just quoting God.