Is It Christian To celebrate Birthdays?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I don't think it about celebrating for yourself, but others to celebrate for you.

Remember Norbit claiming, it's my birthday, it's my birthday, it's my birthday and then, wham his lovely wife Rasputia clobbered him.
If it was not for his afro he would of been dead his doctor said.

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Witch? WITCH. waht abut thee Salem Whitch Twials

Yes we have in History the Witch Trial's, the Puritan's did in fact burn, mostly women, for being Witch's, they held to many rigorous stand's against specific Tradition's, Christmas, Easter, and other form's of worship they considered pagan!
But just stop and think, how many souls did they burn that were completely Innocent????
I personally do not keep these Holiday's, because I have the thought where did they come from, and who instituted them, and where are they in Scripture! You see it doesn't matter what they mean to us, it matters what they mean to God! We should always consider what God See's!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course, witchcraft in itself is the practice of producing altered states of consciousness through drugs.

Witchcraft or sorcery, in the Greek, is pharmakeia, which is the word we get our English word pharmacy from.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Mister Michael
Many of the words we use as well as the holidays, as well as the calendar, as well as the names of the days of the week, have pagan roots. If we need to ban all of them or have to change them all we would have quite a task before us. But neither should we neglect to know the truth and be certain that those to whom we are examples are seeing good things when they look at us...

But not to worry, the important thing always is to please God. God doesn't condemn us for using any of these words or celebrating these things unless by doing do so we are somehow short changing Him.

Having said that consider what men or satan has done with the simple and seemingly harmless fun type of things.
Even before I was born in the flesh consider the Wizard of Oz [came out in 1939], a movie, with both good witch and bad witches. Where in scripture do we find a good witch? We don't!

"Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." Ex 22:18

It does not say sort them out and let the "good" witches live. Does this mean it is OK to let someone, especially a child, build up an image of a good witch as a real thing to hope for?

But... it was a fictional story and all to the "good", right? What it did do to me and to others was soften our hearts toward witches so that there were some like Semantha ["Bewitched" TV series] that were quite good while others [like her mother] were not very good at all.

All in fun, but if the children simply watch and no one ever explains the difference between all in fun and what God considers evil, where is it likely to lead the children or even the adults?

I don't watch the witch, zombie, vampire, etc. garbage of TV these days, but sometimes the commercials that come on in between the news programs or other lesser problematic programming seem to be just as bad or worse. When I was a kid I watched whatever was available which wasn't much compared to today's public menu, but it softened me toward evil. Thank God for God getting hold of me.

Ditto these celebrations. No, in and of themselves, they may not be evil, but let us train ourselves and our children as to what is really good and what is not...according to God, not according to man. Given proper training and understanding a birthday celebration could and should be a lot of good, clean fun, or...?

One seemingly easy way might be not to participate at all, but that can be a difficult or impossible task. So make sure that even though partaking of some garbage may be unavoidable that the good things of God are also consumed. Children are hungry not only physically but also mentally, emotionally and spiritually so careful guidance is essential. Good examples and training in and by parents, teachers and heroes does make a difference.

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Prov 22:6

Reactions: bbyrd009

Pilgrimer

Jun 20, 2013
Mobile, Alabama
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i know that JWs don't celebrate birthdays Reason Cause They Belive they are Rooted in Paganism. are they right is it Against God to Celebrate Birthdays , does this include the Birth day of Christ (Christmas).

There is nothing pagan about celebrating birthdays or commemorating the milestones of a person's life. It is actually a Biblical practice going back as far as Abraham who held a feast when Isaac turned two, the age a child was weaned, and the 13th year was a time to celebrate a young man/woman having reached the age that they were ready to observe religious precepts and eligible to take part in public worship. And since the angels of heaven celebrated the birth of Jesus, we Christians are certainly in good company.

There is nothing pagan about Christmas, either the observance or the date.

In Christ,
Pilgrimer

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
There is nothing pagan about celebrating birthdays or commemorating the milestones of a person's life. It is actually a Biblical practice going back as far as Abraham who held a feast when Isaac turned two, the age a child was weaned, and the 13th year was a time to celebrate a young man/woman having reached the age that they were ready to observe religious precepts and eligible to take part in public worship. And since the angels of heaven celebrated the birth of Jesus, we Christians are certainly in good company.

There is nothing pagan about Christmas, either the observance or the date.

In Christ,
Pilgrimer
Hi; I guess part of the point is, Although we are not bound by times and seasons, yet the doctrine of the Incarnation is a wondrous event to be really thankful for! :)

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We had a birthday tradition for the children. My wife baked a cake and I would ask them what scene they wanted me to decorate it with. I was sorry to see them get big for I enjoyed it as much as they.

All traditions are not evil nor anti Christian.

As brother Paul said I am convinced that nothing is evil - unclean of itself.

I know and am convinced in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself; but to him who thinks anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean. Romans 14:14 NASB

I am perfectly convinced that far too much effort is expended in examining the minutia of the lives of others when much more important work lies undone.

A pastor was out for an early morning run when a member of the church drove past. Being cool the pastor's breath could be seen. The witness began to tell everyone that they had seen the pastor smoking! This is a true story.

A visiting native pastor from Africa got it into his head somehow, that the game of basketball was evil. Someone knowing this asked him if he'd started playing basketball yet. He replied seriously that he hadn't backslid in that area.

I think there is nothing evil about celebrating a birthday. I've seen many sad faces lightened for awhile by a simple cake and a chorus of happy birthday. But I will not make a denomination of it... the first church of the Birthdayites.

A visiting preacher to our church, Carl, stated that he examined everything that visiting speakers to his own church said, even jumping up and calling them down as they spoke if he disagreed. Finally God told him that he didn't need any policemen and if he did he wouldn't chose Carl to be one.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
We had a birthday tradition for the children. My wife baked a cake and I would ask them what scene they wanted me to decorate it with. I was sorry to see them get big for I enjoyed it as much as they.

All traditions are not evil nor anti Christian.

As brother Paul said I am convinced that nothing is evil - unclean of itself.

I know and am convinced in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself; but to him who thinks anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean. Romans 14:14 NASB

I am perfectly convinced that far too much effort is expended in examining the minutia of the lives of others when much more important work lies undone.

A pastor was out for an early morning run when a member of the church drove past. Being cool the pastor's breath could be seen. The witness began to tell everyone that they had seen the pastor smoking! This is a true story.

A visiting native pastor from Africa got it into his head somehow, that the game of basketball was evil. Someone knowing this asked him if he'd started playing basketball yet. He replied seriously that he hadn't backslid in that area.

I think there is nothing evil about celebrating a birthday. I've seen many sad faces lightened for awhile by a simple cake and a chorus of happy birthday. But I will not make a denomination of it... the first church of the Birthdayites.

A visiting preacher to our church, Carl, stated that he examined everything that visiting speakers to his own church said, even jumping up and calling them down as they spoke if he disagreed. Finally God told him that he didn't need any policemen and if he did he wouldn't chose Carl to be one.
Yes, Romans 14 is a passage I would go to, also.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
@Mister Michael
Many of the words we use as well as the holidays, as well as the calendar, as well as the names of the days of the week, have pagan roots. If we need to ban all of them or have to change them all we would have quite a task before us. But neither should we neglect to know the truth and be certain that those to whom we are examples are seeing good things when they look at us...

But not to worry, the important thing always is to please God. God doesn't condemn us for using any of these words or celebrating these things unless by doing do so we are somehow short changing Him.

Having said that consider what men or satan has done with the simple and seemingly harmless fun type of things.
Even before I was born in the flesh consider the Wizard of Oz [came out in 1939], a movie, with both good witch and bad witches. Where in scripture do we find a good witch? We don't!

"Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." Ex 22:18

It does not say sort them out and let the "good" witches live. Does this mean it is OK to let someone, especially a child, build up an image of a good witch as a real thing to hope for?

But... it was a fictional story and all to the "good", right? What it did do to me and to others was soften our hearts toward witches so that there were some like Semantha ["Bewitched" TV series] that were quite good while others [like her mother] were not very good at all.

All in fun, but if the children simply watch and no one ever explains the difference between all in fun and what God considers evil, where is it likely to lead the children or even the adults?

I don't watch the witch, zombie, vampire, etc. garbage of TV these days, but sometimes the commercials that come on in between the news programs or other lesser problematic programming seem to be just as bad or worse. When I was a kid I watched whatever was available which wasn't much compared to today's public menu, but it softened me toward evil. Thank God for God getting hold of me.

Ditto these celebrations. No, in and of themselves, they may not be evil, but let us train ourselves and our children as to what is really good and what is not...according to God, not according to man. Given proper training and understanding a birthday celebration could and should be a lot of good, clean fun, or...?

One seemingly easy way might be not to participate at all, but that can be a difficult or impossible task. So make sure that even though partaking of some garbage may be unavoidable that the good things of God are also consumed. Children are hungry not only physically but also mentally, emotionally and spiritually so careful guidance is essential. Good examples and training in and by parents, teachers and heroes does make a difference.

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Prov 22:6
show me a first-worlder who doesn't already indulge themselves every single day,
and i'll show you someone who needs a birthday party imo

Reactions: amadeus