Is it important to keep the Sabbath?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But how do you know that the seventh day was Saturday?
We can look at the period of time that the Israelites have been keeping as the 7th day and seen what period of time it corresponds to on the Gregorian calendar.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We can look at the period of time that the Israelites have been keeping as the 7th day and seen what period of time it corresponds to on the Gregorian calendar.
Does the Bible stipulate we are bound by the Gregorian calendar?

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Apostle Paul understood this he knew and kept Gods law including the seventh day sabbath.

Now lets take a look at; (Acts 13:13-15, 42, 44) (v.13) Now when Paul and his company loosed from Pa’-phus, they came to Per’-ga in Pam-phyl’-I-a: and John departing from them returned to Jerusalem. (v.14) But when they departed from Per’-ga, they came to An’-ti-och in Pi-sid’-I-a, and went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and sat down. Paul went into the church (synagogue) on the sabbath day the seventh day not the first day (Sunday). (v.15) And after the reading of the law and the prophets the rulers of the synagogue sent unto them, saying, Ye men and brethren, if ye have any word of exhortation for the people, say on. (v.42) And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.

The Gentiles didn’t asked Paul to come preach us something different next Sunday. They wanted Paul to preach to them the same thing that he taught the Jews, the next sabbath. Even the Gentiles knew that if they were going to serve the same God that Paul and the Jews (Israelites) served that they would have to serve him on the day that God had set up. (v.42) And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God. Not the next Sunday but the next sabbath.

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Go ahead and do that.
That period of time is between Friday and Saturday at sundown.

Does the Bible stipulate we are bound by the Gregorian calendar?
No, we can use the Hebrew calendars, but every 7th day is every 7th day regardless of which calendar is being used. The fact that we commonly use the Gregorian calendar and that it uses 7-day cycles makes it easy to track when we should be resting.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That period of time is between Friday and Saturday at sundown.

No, we can use the Hebrew calendars, but every 7th day is every 7th day regardless of which calendar is being used. The fact that we commonly use the Gregorian calendar and that it uses 7-day cycles makes it easy to track when we should be resting.
I don't think the Bible binds us to any particular calendar.

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think the Bible binds us to any particular calendar.
I agree, calendars are just systems for organizing days and period of time one one calendar has the same period of time on a different calendar, though some calendars make it easier to keep track of important dates than others.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree, calendars are just systems for organizing days and period of time one one calendar has the same period of time on a different calendar, though some calendars make it easier to keep track of important dates than others.
Yes, I could make a calendar and make Wednesday the first day of the week, and if people buy it, then Wednesday becomes the first day of the week.

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I could make a calendar and make Wednesday the first day of the week, and if people buy it, then Wednesday becomes the first day of the week.
Again, the Israelites received a double portion of manna for the 7th day for 40 years in the wilderness, and they have been keeping it ever since, so they know which people of time God rested, and we should rest during the same period of time. The various calendar systems organize the months differently, but counting off every 7th day from Creation is the same regardless of which calendar system is being used. You have no power to change which period of time is the 7th day.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, the Israelites received a double portion of manna for the 7th day for 40 years in the wilderness, and they have been keeping it ever since, so they know which people of time God rested, and we should rest during the same period of time. The various calendar systems organize the months differently, but counting off every 7th day from Creation is the same regardless of which calendar system is being used. You have no power to change which period of time is the 7th day.
People assume Saturday was the last day of the week because our modern calendars list Saturday as the last day of the week. That doesn't make it the last day of the week.

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People assume Saturday was the last day of the week because our modern calendars list Saturday as the last day of the week. That doesn't make it the last day of the week.
I agree that doesn’t make it the 7th day of the week, but you are ignoring the perfectly logical reason that I gave for how we can know what the 7th day is in order to attack your incorrect assumption. The 7th day begins on Friday at sundown, so your assumption doesn’t even work. Moreover, Jews have not historically used the Gregorian calendar or give names to the days of the week beyond day that it is the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, or 7th day.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree that doesn’t make it the 7th day of the week, but you are ignoring the perfectly logical reason that I gave for how we can know what the 7th day is in order to attack your incorrect assumption. The 7th day begins on Friday at sundown, so your assumption doesn’t even work. Moreover, Jews have not historically used the Gregorian calendar or give names to the days of the week beyond day that it is the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, or 7th day.
Why do you think the last day begins on Friday at sundown? Because your calendar says so? Does that make it the last day?

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do you think the last day begins on Friday at sundown? Because your calendar says so? Does that make it the last day?
Keeping the Sabbath holy is in memorial of when God rested after Creation, and in the account it says that there was evening and then there was morning, so days start in the evening. The Israelites received a double portion of manna of the 7th day, so they knew on which period of time God rested after Creation and that is how we know that it begins on Friday at sundown. If our calendars were set up so that the last day of the week was Wednesday, then there period of time that we should rest as the 7th day would still being on Friday at sundown, so what another calendar says is irrelevant.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Keeping the Sabbath holy is in memorial of when God rested after Creation, and in the account it says that there was evening and then there was morning, so days start in the evening. The Israelites received a double portion of manna of the 7th day, so they knew on which period of time God rested after Creation and that is how we know that it begins on Friday at sundown. If our calendars were set up so that the last day of the week was Wednesday, then there period of time that we should rest as the 7th day would still being on Friday at sundown, so what another calendar says is irrelevant.
Do you remember what the Lord said was the purpose of the sabbath?

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you remember what the Lord said was the purpose of the sabbath?
Keeping the Sabbath holy testifies that there is a Creator who created the world in six days, who rested on the 7th, who sanctified it, and who sanctifies us. The purpose of all of God's laws is to teach us how to know, love, believe in, and testify about Him through acting in accordance with His character.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Keeping the Sabbath holy testifies that there is a Creator who created the world in six days, who rested on the 7th, who sanctified it, and who sanctifies us. The purpose of all of God's laws is to teach us how to know, love, believe in, and testify about Him through acting in accordance with His character.
If I remember correctly, the Lord said we needed a day's rest.