Is it important to keep the Sabbath?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suspect all days should be holy. What makes the sabbath different?
A day that is holy is a day that is set apart and in order for a day to be set apart there needs to be a day that it is set apart from. If we did on every day what God wants us to do on the Sabbath, then we would do no work, but God also wants us to work on the other six days. Resting on the 7th day is in memorial of when God rested after Creation.

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s important to always seek and have relationship with God, and put him first, and ask him for help by the Holy Spirit.

Whether a person holds a sabbath day or not I really don’t think God cares… he desires a heart for him, @Hobie.
God expects us to comply with His directions as part of our righteousness commitment. I don't believe He likes being ignored.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But how do you know that the seventh day was Saturday?
The Hebrew reckoning of the days of the week.
The Hebrew week (שבוע, shavua) is a cycle of seven days, mirroring the seven-day period of the Book of Genesis in which the world is created. The names for the days of the week are simply the day number within the week. The week begins with Day 1 (Sunday) and ends with Shabbat (Saturday).

The Hebrew names of the days of the week are numerical: Sunday - Yom rishon- "first day", Monday -Yom shani- "second day", Tuesday -Yom shlishi- "third day", Wednesday -Yom reveci- "fourth day", Thursday -Yom khamshi- "fifth day", Friday -Yom shishi- "sixth day" and cErev shabbat -"eve of Sabbath", Saturday -Yom ha- ...

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Hebrew week (שבוע, shavua) is a cycle of seven days, mirroring the seven-day period of the Book of Genesis in which the world is created. The names for the days of the week are simply the day number within the week. The week begins with Day 1 (Sunday) and ends with Shabbat (Saturday).

The Hebrew names of the days of the week are numerical: Sunday - Yom rishon- "first day", Monday -Yom shani- "second day", Tuesday -Yom shlishi- "third day", Wednesday -Yom reveci- "fourth day", Thursday -Yom khamshi- "fifth day", Friday -Yom shishi- "sixth day" and cErev shabbat -"eve of Sabbath", Saturday -Yom ha- ...
Would you please site scripture reference for the sun thru sat point?

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A day that is holy is a day that is set apart and in order for a day to be set apart there needs to be a day that it is set apart from. If we did on every day what God wants us to do on the Sabbath, then we would do no work, but God also wants us to work on the other six days. Resting on the 7th day is in memorial of when God rested after Creation.
I think "holy" means "free from sin."

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I can't remember the Bible saying Saturday is the last day of the week.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Would you please site scripture reference for the sun thru sat point?
Well that is the point. It all a matter of reference from the first day of creation. The Hebrew names for the days of the week are simply the day number within the week until you get to the Sabbath- Shabbat. The week begins with Day 1 creation….( Sunday - Yom rishon) and ends with Shabbat (Saturday -Yom ha-. The day the Lord rested.

As far as a academic explanation of it in the scriptures….not there.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can't remember the Bible saying Saturday is the last day of the week.
Well that is the point. It all a matter of reference from the first day of creation. The Hebrew names for the days of the week are simply the day number within the week until you get to the Sabbath- Shabbat. The week begins with Day 1 creation….( Sunday - Yom rishon) and ends with Shabbat (Saturday -Yom ha-. The day the Lord rested.

Saturday is the 7th day by Hebrew reckoning. None of our names for the days of the week are in the scriptures.

Again

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Saturday is the 7th day by Hebrew reckoning. None of our names for the days of the week are in the scriptures.

Again
I think many people miss the point about the sabbath. We need a day's rest - that is the point, I believe. Some people believe the point is SATURDAY.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think many people miss the point about the sabbath. We need a day's rest - that is the point, I believe. Some people believe the point is SATURDAY.
Do you think that Christians do not understand that Sunday is a day of rest?
I mean I don't think we should kill someone for changing a flat tire.
Until recently most everything was closed down on Sunday.
And most of that was a cultural thing.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you think that Christians do not understand that Sunday is a day of rest?
I mean I don't think we should kill someone for changing a flat tire.
Until recently most everything was closed down on Sunday.
And most of that was a cultural thing.
A person can rest on any day.

pompadour

Staff member
Oct 5, 2011
minnesota USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was a Police officer for 26 yrs. I worked Friday nights, Saturdays and Sundays. also worked on all the Feast days.
Am I in trouble ?

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lord rested on the seventh day. Is that what you mean by "Lazyboy time"?

No I was joking around….
What day we choose to set a side for the Lord and a day of rest is up to us. Some people have jobs that that is the way they have to do it. But it is not just rest it is also worshipping the Lord.

On the other had I believe that it is important to assemble with other Christians and worship and sing hymns to the Lord and be involved with church functions.

A lot of Christians profess a belief in Christ but are not interested in the Bible or participating or living a Christian life. They kind of look at it like signing up for a club and go about their business as usual. Part of the problem is the rat race….slave to bills and jobs.
I always tell people that making a living is just not about money, you do not want to forget the living part.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No I was joking around….
What day we choose to set a side for the Lord and a day of rest is up to us. Some people have jobs that that is the way they have to do it. But it is not just rest it is also worshipping the Lord.

On the other had I believe that it is important to assemble with other Christians and worship and sing hymns to the Lord and be involved with church functions.

A lot of Christians profess a belief in Christ but are not interested in the Bible or participating or living a Christian life. They kind of look at it like signing up for a club and go about their business as usual. Part of the problem is the rat race….slave to bills and jobs.
I always tell people that making a living is just not about money, you do not want to forget the living part.
I agree that the day we set aside to rest is up to us, since circumstances might dictate what day that is. Some people think it's terribly important that day be Saturday.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree that the day we set aside to rest is up to us, since circumstances might dictate what day that is. Some people think it's terribly important that day be Saturday.

Well the Jews do. But we are Christians.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I used to work the weekends, I was a divorced single parent...xx

No, I never rested on a Sunday, I don’t believe God will hold it against me as I’m under his grace, and there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

I’m Born Again.xx

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was a Police officer for 26 yrs. I worked Friday nights, Saturdays and Sundays. also worked on all the Feast days.
Am I in trouble ?
An elderly man on my mail route who attends the Worldwide church of God (Armstrongism) once told me that I need to tell my employer I cannot work on Saturday because it's the sabbath day and if I continue to work on Saturday then my salvation will be in jeopardy. :rolleyes: His argument does not align with scripture. (Colossians 2:16-17) It's those who refuse to believe the gospel (Romans 1:16; 1 Corinthians 15:1-4) whose salvation will be in jeopardy. (2 Corinthians 4:3,4)

Reactions: pompadour