Is it Love or Serve or Obeying ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Apr 24, 2012
People,

You may look below and compare 2 translations.

Romans 13:

9 The commandments, "You shall not commit adultery," "You shall not murder," "You shall not steal," "You shall not covet," and whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."
10 Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Romans 13:

9 The commandments, "You shall not commit adultery," "You shall not murder," "You shall not steal," "You shall not covet," and whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one command: "Serve your neighbor as yourself."
10 Obeying does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore obeying is the fulfillment of the law.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We were created to love perfectly; therefore, our obedience is to love perfectly. If we are loving perfectly, we are not sinning. You cannot murder, commit adultery, covet, hoard, objectify (lust), or adore a created object in the place of God if you are loving perfectly.

Apr 24, 2012
aspen2,

We were created to love perfectly; therefore, our obedience is to love perfectly. If we are loving perfectly, we are not sinning. You cannot murder, commit adultery, covet, hoard, objectify (lust), or adore a created object in the place of God if you are loving perfectly.

Have you ever looked at 2 John 1:6 ?

2 John 1:6

And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love.

____________________________________________________________________________________

People,

Matthew 20: 26,27,28.

26 It shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant,
27 and whoever would be first among you must be your slave,
28 even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have read 2 John. It seems to be supporting my post.

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011
People,

You may look below and compare 2 translations.

Romans 13:

9 The commandments, "You shall not commit adultery," "You shall not murder," "You shall not steal," "You shall not covet," and whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."
10 Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Romans 13:

9 The commandments, "You shall not commit adultery," "You shall not murder," "You shall not steal," "You shall not covet," and whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one command: "Serve your neighbor as yourself."
10 Obeying does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore obeying is the fulfillment of the law.

Also realize that if you see your neighbor sinning and you don't tell them Gods judgement on that sin. You have caused them harm and not served them as yourself.

also keep in mind that you are obeying God not your neighbor.

Apr 24, 2012
Son of Man,

Also realize that if you see your neighbor sinning and you don't tell them Gods judgement on that sin. You have caused them harm and not served them as yourself.

To me that looked like what I've thought about before which you may look at below.

Matthew 18:

12 "What do you think? If a man owns a hundred sheep, and one of them wanders away, will he not leave the ninety-nine on the hills and go to look for the one that wandered off?

13 And if he finds it, truly I tell you, he is happier about that one sheep than about the ninety-nine that did not wander off.
14 In the same way your Father in heaven is not willing that any of these little ones should perish.
15 "If your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over.
16 But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that 'every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.

also keep in mind that you are obeying God not your neighbor.

I thought before serving was not agreeing with a neighbour doing wrong. Maybe you agreed obeying "Serve your neighbor as yourself" of Romans 13:9 is obeying God.

Maybe you agreed the word obeying in "Obeying does no harm to a neighbor." of Romans 13:10 is obedience to God's commandments like Do not murder.

____________________________________________________________________________________

aspen2,

I was responding to your post......?

Is that your complete explanation ?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Son of Man,

To me that looked like what I've thought about before which you may look at below.

Matthew 18:

12 "What do you think? If a man owns a hundred sheep, and one of them wanders away, will he not leave the ninety-nine on the hills and go to look for the one that wandered off?

13 And if he finds it, truly I tell you, he is happier about that one sheep than about the ninety-nine that did not wander off.
14 In the same way your Father in heaven is not willing that any of these little ones should perish.
15 "If your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over.
16 But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that 'every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.

I thought before serving was not agreeing with a neighbour doing wrong. Maybe you agreed obeying "Serve your neighbor as yourself" of Romans 13:9 is obeying God.

Maybe you agreed the word obeying in "Obeying does no harm to a neighbor." of Romans 13:10 is obedience to God's commandments like Do not murder.

aspen2,

Is that your complete explanation ?[/b]

Ok so you are asking for more detail, right?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
aspen2,

What do you think Is that your complete explanation ? means ?

I see - well, no offense, but the verse you provided:

2 John 1:6 And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love.

seems pretty clear - I am not sure I can add anymore clarity - love is obeying his commandments - obeying His commandments is loving others. Not sure what else to say.

There is no choice between loving and obeying - they are the same.

Apr 24, 2012
aspen2,

I see - well, no offense, but the verse you provided:

2 John 1:6 And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love.

seems pretty clear - I am not sure I can add anymore clarity - love is obeying his commandments - obeying His commandments is loving others. Not sure what else to say.

There is no choice between loving and obeying - they are the same.

Is that your complete explanation of why you posted what you posted ?

Apr 24, 2012
People,

You may look in a bible and see the word love used many times and in many places and you may agree that some words sometimes maybe used for different meanings. I think another example is the word good which may mean beneficial or righteous.

From what I've posted to you I have shown the word love maybe taken out and the words obey or serve used.

If you look at the definitions of the words obey or serve you may think they show better the logic in The Bible.

You may look below at 1 John 4:20 and think of how the word love is used.

1 John 4:20

Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen.

You may look below and think again of what the meaning of the word love may be shown to be in the bible.

2 John 1:6

And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love.

You may look below and think of another translation of 1 John 4:20 and you may think it's logical.

1 John 4:20

Whoever claims to serve God yet neglect a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not serve their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot serve God, whom they have not seen.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

ἀγaπάω impf. ἠγάπων; fut. ἀγaπήσω; 1 aor. ἠγάπησa; pf. ἠγάπηκa, ptc. ἠγaπηκώς; plpf. 3 sg. ἠγaπήκει Je. 2:25. Pass.: 1 fut. ἀγaπηθήσομaι; 1 aor. 2 sg. ἠγaπήθης Sir 47:16; pf. ptc. ἠγaπημένος (in var. mngs. Hom.+.—STromp de Ruiter, Gebruik en beteekenis van ἀγaπᾶν in de Grieksche Litteratuur 1930; CRichardson, Love: Gk. and Christian, JR 23, ’43,173–85).

to have a warm regard for and interest in another, cherish, have affection for, love

Thats from BDAG

ἀγaπάω

a love: 25.43​
b show love: 25.44​
c take pleasure in: 25.104​
This from Louw-Nida

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
serving and obeying are love in action.

mark s

Nov 12, 2010
But even so, love is it's own word with its own meaning. Serve has its own meaning, and obey has it's own meaning.

I think I see the point of the thread, to say that if we love God we obey Him, if we love our brother we will serve him.

But we can't just go around trying to re-write the Greek language.

Words have meanings. Without that, yoiu just pretend the Bible says whatever you want it to say.

Love in Christ,
Mark