Is it okay to pray in public?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, 1 Kings 8:

22 Then Solomon stood before the altar of the Lord in the presence of all the assembly of Israel and spread out his hands toward heaven, 23 and said, “O Lord, God of Israel, there is no God like you, in heaven above or on earth beneath
Luke 23:

34 And Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.”
Praying the public is fine. Both Soloman and Jesus did it. However, there are some warnings, Matthew 6:

1 “Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them
Don't be showy (Mark 12:40). Don't glorify yourself. You are speaking to God.

5 “And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others.
Don't be a hypocrite. You can fool people, but you cannot fool God.

6 But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret.
This is an example of private prayer. It does not forbid public prayer. Avoiding praying publicly may help some people not to be showy.

7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
Don't try to impress God with your many words. God knows your needs already. Be genuine when you pray, either publicly or privately.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, 1 Kings 8:

Luke 23:

Praying the public is fine. Both Soloman and Jesus did it. However, there are some warnings, Matthew 6:

This is an example of private prayer. It does not forbid public prayer. Avoiding praying publicly may help some people not to be showy.

Don't try to impress God with your many words. God knows your needs already. Be genuine when you pray, either publicly or privately.
Good info. I used to think I had to pray in public to thank God for my food, even in restaurants. I now recognize that our post-Christian culture is hostile towards it, and no longer feel the need to publicly thank God for my food. I can do it in my heart.

Private prayer is reserved for personal requests, and public prayer is good when praying for large groups of people, when you want others to agree with you in prayer. "If 2 or 3 are agreed..." There are no hard fast rules except by examining the motive of the heart for the prayer. That will determine.

Some are great formal prayers. I am, personally, just a "walk with God" person, whispering to Him all day long. Intercessory prayer is best for people so gifted. They should not judge those who do not pray that way, for hours and hours. That is boasting.

We just need to have a regular relationship with God. He loves us.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Good info. I used to think I had to pray in public to thank God for my food, even in restaurants. I now recognize that our post-Christian culture is hostile towards it, and no longer feel the need to publicly thank God for my food. I can do it in my heart.

Private prayer is reserved for personal requests, and public prayer is good when praying for large groups of people, when you want others to agree with you in prayer. "If 2 or 3 are agreed..." There are no hard fast rules except by examining the motive of the heart for the prayer. That will determine.

Some are great formal prayers. I am, personally, just a "walk with God" person, whispering to Him all day long. Intercessory prayer is best for people so gifted. They should not judge those who do not pray that way, for hours and hours. That is boasting.

We just need to have a regular relationship with God. He loves us.
Great insights. Thanks :)

Reactions: Randy Kluth

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, 1 Kings 8:

Luke 23:

We should pray constantly (1 Thessalonians 5:17). I don't think that means we have to pray out loud constantly.