Is it over for the PC?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
Well most people only need something to get email, surf and maybe watch a streamed video on.

Raspberry pie could do that.

No need for a 400 dollar and up machine.

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Oh, I thought you were talking about a real pie, not Raspberry Pi. Yeh it is a neat little gadget but I gave up on Linux years ago.
I do have a Note 8 and it is very cheap at 200 bucks. Mine didn't cost anything because two of my three sons work for a TELUS Mobility dealer. :D
Out of all the OSs I've tried on smart phones, I like Android the best.

Doug_E_Fresh

gяελ нατ jεsμs ƒяεακ
Dec 7, 2013
Pennsylvania
dswdoctrine.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The PC will probably not go away until quantum computing becomes laptop size. How quantum processors work allows them to become very efficient when doing a task. Mac's are not over-priced when you compare them to a gaming laptop. You pay a lot of extra money for something that isn't any more secure than a windows machine when all you do is use it for microsoft office. But for what the Mac is intended for, it's a good buy. I compare it to cameras. You can go buy a professional camera and spend $$$$ just because it has a better resolution, but if you don't know what all the features are, you might as well go buy a regular camera that will still do what you want it to do.

@Stan - make sure you're not using WEP wireless security (use WPA2 Personal), and that you have strong passwords on the wi-fi and the actual router itself, otherwise your VoIP traffic can be copied and replayed in order to listen to your phone call. I would know, because I can do it.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Doug_E_Fresh said:
@Stan - make sure you're not using WEP wireless security (use WPA2 Personal), and that you have strong passwords on the wi-fi and the actual router itself, otherwise your VoIP traffic can be copied and replayed in order to listen to your phone call. I would know, because I can do it.
Yes, thanks. My router is very well secured and protected with my ISP's security software, which is built for them by Trend Micro and Bit Defender.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The PC will probably not go away until quantum computing becomes laptop size. How quantum processors work allows them to become very efficient when doing a task. Mac's are not over-priced when you compare them to a gaming laptop. You pay a lot of extra money for something that isn't any more secure than a windows machine when all you do is use it for microsoft office. But for what the Mac is intended for, it's a good buy. I compare it to cameras. You can go buy a professional camera and spend $$$$ just because it has a better resolution, but if you don't know what all the features are, you might as well go buy a regular camera that will still do what you want it to do.
Well said.

I buy those overpriced Macs. You get what you pay for. If you develop apps or design things, there are performance benefits to a Macbook, iMac or Mac Pro. With that said, you're talking 10-15% of users with those requirements at best. If you're browsing the internets, Facebook, blogging, and Skyping, then a Macbook is complete overkill.

Honestly, if it wasn't for my design and development, I'd content myself with a good Chromebook or Netbook. I'm intrigued that Photoshop might be coming to Chromebook.

Quantum computing will be a game changer once it's advanced and further downsized. We've been purchasing small form factors for work (they were running 8 year old machines for what little overhead they need) and it's like blowing the minds of a lot of the nontechnical employees. (I'm thinking that tablets are close to being par with what we use.)

The only limiting factor I see is the human interface. I've noticed a lot of people use tablets for browsing, but don't do more complicated tasks and supplement them with a keyboard to do blogging, emailing, etc. I still think we need the next iteration of interfacing to see what will happen to PCs. I've known a lot of people to cool on how they feel towards using a tablet, because it's still too clunky for some things.

Doug_E_Fresh

gяελ нατ jεsμs ƒяεακ
Dec 7, 2013
Pennsylvania
dswdoctrine.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
HammerStone said:
Honestly, if it wasn't for my design and development, I'd content myself with a good Chromebook or Netbook. I'm intrigued that Photoshop might be coming to Chromebook.

Quantum computing will be a game changer once it's advanced and further downsized. We've been purchasing small form factors for work (they were running 8 year old machines for what little overhead they need) and it's like blowing the minds of a lot of the nontechnical employees. (I'm thinking that tablets are close to being par with what we use.)

The only limiting factor I see is the human interface. I've noticed a lot of people use tablets for browsing, but don't do more complicated tasks and supplement them with a keyboard to do blogging, emailing, etc. I still think we need the next iteration of interfacing to see what will happen to PCs. I've known a lot of people to cool on how they feel towards using a tablet, because it's still too clunky for some things.
As an update if you didn't hear already, it will in fact come to chromebook:
http://chrome.blogspot.com/2014/09/adobe-joins-chromebook-party-starting.html

I think it will be interesting to see if Ubuntu has found the answer to that clunkiness you're referencing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpWHJDLsqTU

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
HammerStone said:
I buy those overpriced Macs. You get what you pay for. If you develop apps or design things, there are performance benefits to a Macbook, iMac or Mac Pro. With that said, you're talking 10-15% of users with those requirements at best. If you're browsing the internets, Facebook, blogging, and Skyping, then a Macbook is complete overkill.

Like I said I use mostly a Note 8 now but for things like these forums, I use my pc. I like the Android OS and the apps are very cheap. I now have Google Play on it so all the music I ever want to hear only costs me 10 bucks a month so I don't have to buy any more mp3s online.

I have never liked Macs nor their prices and the latest documentary I saw on their manufacturing practises makes me NEVER want to ever own an Apple product again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04vs348