Is it still necessary to attend church since we can receive the gospel online?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What say you?
It has never been necessary to attend "church." The New Testament church (ecclesia) met together in homes to enact the four pillars of the church. The apostle's doctrine, fellowship, Prayer, and a meal. No so-called "breaking of bread" (a sip of wine and a piece of bread) was involved.

So-called churches and church services came hundreds of years later (346 A.D.)

Last edited:
Reactions: K9Buck

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Just a quick comment and I'll quietly slip away. When gatherings established during the first century, groups often joined in smaller congregational settings such as individual follower's home dwellings. I would surmise they also felt the leading of the Holy Spirit and numbers grew to consider themselves a permanent church. Perhaps elsewhere besides homes then, but there were times when these meetings had to remain hidden from persecution.

Roman oppression was still evident and these Christians did suffer immensely for their faith in Jesus. The more outspoken such as the ones ministering the streets were easily spotted and often arrested on the spot. It certainly wasn't an easy time to find salvation, much less live an open life for Christ. I don't envy this time period but for the dynamic way the Spirit was moving during these early years. Holy Communion was held in such places as they were able.

That being said, I personally feel those who cannot attend a traditional church and congregational setting must do so where it is available to them. Living in a nursing facility such as I have had to do during the present for recuperation, have those willing to bring the sacraments come to us from the traditional places to partake of it. I have asked our sisters who had been commissioned by a monsenior in the representation of the church to administer them to me.

Though not of the Catholic faith, they were willing to do so simply because it was not available to me any other way. Do I understand the concepts of the doctrine? Yes, absolutely, but I do not adhere to Catholocism. Yet I received it. I was told none truly believing in Jesus as Saviour and Lord are turned away if they request this of them. I was very grateful to them and it was bestowed upon me a blessing. I found this to be an editing experience to have been accepted by them.

Holy Communion was held in such places as they were able.

So-called Holy Communion was not held by anyone in the New Testament Church. Having just finished a 6-month study of this and reading numerous books about the subject, the New Testament Church was involved in the four pillars of the church. Apostles doctrine, prayer, fellowship, and a meal. A sip of wine and a piece of bread would not suffice to deal with the hunger pangs of people who had not eaten that day.

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is it still necessary to attend church since we can receive the gospel online?
Receiving the Gospel is just the beginning, but I guess it is okay, if you tear Hebrews 10:25 out of your Bible.
full
(If you tear enough pages out of your Bible, it will become a lot lighter. Who knew...!?)

BeauJangles

Oct 16, 2020
Visalia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is nice. I am not Catholic either
Thanks! Yes, it was very meaningful even though I would never consider the majority of rites and rituals of the most common practices to be an acceptable thing for me. Here is another emphasis I would like to share. During The Jesus People Movement, those who had found a truly born again experience gathered very much in one accord. The time of God's Spirit had been very much a profound time period where denominationalism fell way to the primary thing being we were all believers in Christ first and foremost. We abandoned ourselves in worship services and disregarded our differences and doctrinal disputations were nonexistent. This was finding one single bond in Jesus being the headstone of our overall faith. I've never seen a time such as this special period where interdenominational services became commonplace. It lasted for quite a few years.

Reactions: Sabertooth

BeauJangles

Oct 16, 2020
Visalia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's important for people not to isolate socially, and I'm not sure forums can take the place of in-person socializing.
I'm in absolute and total agreement with you concerning this. However, there are countless ones who are aged and homebound now. We in our own separate countries are now becoming a populous of older generations and increasingly incapable of venturing outside our doors anymore. Many are relying upon and leaning towards online sources for any encouragement and fellowship being hungry to associate ourselves with any body of believers and stay in touch with God's Spirit.

Reactions: dev553344

BeauJangles

Oct 16, 2020
Visalia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Apostles doctrine, prayer, fellowship, and a meal. A sip of wine and a piece of bread would not suffice to deal with the hunger pangs of people who had not eaten that day.
Yes, this is very true. Following the last supper where our Lord dined with the twelve during Passover, communion was not intended for such purposes but the symbolic partaking of the elements and what they mean to us as believers. We are expected to continue this observance but also in the same examine ourselves in a proper manner.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes, this is very true. Following the last supper where our Lord dined with the twelve during Passover, communion was not intended for such purposes but the symbolic partaking of the elements and what they mean to us as believers. We are expected to continue this observance but also in the same examine ourselves in a proper manner.
Where doe it say in scripture that we are to continue this?

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In 1 Corinthians 11:17-34, Paul refers to it as the Lord's Supper.

"For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you:
that the Lord Jesus on the same night in which He was betrayed took bread;
and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said,
'Take, eat; this is My body which is broken for you; do this in remembrance of Me.'
In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying,
'This cup is the new covenant in My blood.
This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.' ” 1 Corinthians 11:23-25 NKJV​

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

'Take, eat; this is My body which is broken for you; do this in remembrance of Me.'
This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.' ” 1 Corinthians 11:23-25 NKJV​

Most Churches do this...
I haven't heard of a small group Bible Study yet that can meet for an hour without eating.
Apart from a communion service.

Don't get me wrong here...I like communion services. But I also like sharing in some kind of food with classmates too...and to me that's usually a much more fun time than sitting still, being all quiet, and listening to the same guy we hear every week say the exact same words.

Reactions: BeauJangles

BeauJangles

Oct 16, 2020
Visalia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul quotes this to the Corinthians. The term "as oft" in Old English refers to or means, as often. It does seem indicative.

1 CORINTHIANS 11:25
KJV "After the same manner also [he took] the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, [as oft] as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Paul quotes this to the Corinthians. The term "as oft" in Old English refers to or means, as often. It does seem indicative.

KJV "After the same manner also [he took] the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, [as oft] as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
@BeauJangles A bit hard to do sometimes if there is a virus emergency, but a good Scriptural principle, indeed...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

@Sabertooth Great post!

Reactions: Sabertooth

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Only one problem. The event in Corinthians was a full meal enjoyed by the body of Christ and Paul was telling off the richer members for eating and drinking and ignoring the needs of the poorer members of the church who were being left out of the food that was brought to share with everyone.

He started by saying that it was NOT the Lord's supper that they were eating.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Like everyone else, you have ignored the context which was the Passover meal which was celebrated once a year only. And he did not say do this every Sunday or every month or every day as the Catholics do.

The translation is suspect because it says this is my body which is broken for you. As we know his body was not broken. He died before they could break his leg bones which always brought on death.

And the bible is based on the original Greek, not the old English. This is connected to the conditional particle so that do this and often denoted indefiniteness or uncertainty.

Last edited: