Is religion necessary for morality?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Wiki:

Utilitarianism is a family of normative ethical theories that prescribe actions that maximize happiness and well-being for all affected individuals
From the utilitarian viewpoint, God is not an absolute necessity for morals. However,

the theological utilitarians had the option of grounding their pursuit of happiness in the will of God; the hedonistic utilitarians needed a different defence.
Why is it a popular belief amongst religious people that morals must come from god?

Christians believe that man by nature is sinful and no good, Mark 10:

18 “Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone.
Nature itself does not command or demand people to be moral. Do you think morality's origin can be explained from a natural worldview?

Yes, to some extent. It is called utilitarian ethics.

Utilitarianism promotes "the greatest amount of good for the greatest number of people." When used in a sociopolitical construct, utilitarian ethics aims for the betterment of society as a whole. Utilitarianism is a reason-based approach to determining right and wrong, but it has limitations.

No, but it may work better if a righteous God holds everyone accountable. Let me be clear: I am not promoting Utilitarianism. I am a Christian who loves Jesus. Christ is the standard for me.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wiki:

From the utilitarian viewpoint, God is not an absolute necessity for morals. However,

Why is it a popular belief amongst religious people that morals must come from god?

Nature itself does not command or demand people to be moral. Do you think morality's origin can be explained from a natural worldview?

No, but it may work better if a righteous God holds everyone accountable. Let me be clear: I am not promoting Utilitarianism. I am a Christian who loves Jesus. Christ is the standard for me.
I would also argue that morality and the ability to do good does not require religious belief, and can be based strictly on utilitarianism. In fact, many people, out of expediency, have sought to preserve their societies in a just way.

The value of religion is in the matter of relationship with God. Doing good pleases God but is insufficient on its own to establish a relationship with God.

I would argue that as you suggest "nobody is really good apart from God." So, though many are not Christian and nevertheless do good, they unconsciously draw upon the power of God to do good.

God has created Man to be and do good. So it is part of "Nature" for Man to want to do good, and he derives his ability to do good from the word of God within his conscience, whether or not he is conscious that that is what it is.

To truly *be good* we need to be regenerated by that very word of God within our conscience. By responding to that word we can become good, which is necessarily supported by God's grace. Unless we want to be good and to have an everlasting relationship with God, our morals will please God on a much lower level.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wiki:

It would depend on how you define "religion." If you love the Lord with all your heart, mind, and soul, and love your neighbor as yourself, then it would appear to me you are on the right track (Matthew 22:34-40).